Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

What was that official apology for?

I missed the start of it, but it was some grovelling apology. They must have been threatened with a mega defamation action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I only half listen to the show as it’s in when I’m making breakfast. Was it the mother phoning in to give out about the way a place allegedly treated her 14 year old daughter who had been let into the city alone for a night out, for first time in her life? I didn’t hear any place named, but I thought she might be skating on thin ice saying how an establishment should be held responsible for her very young daughter.

It has to be that story as the Rose of Tralee story happened in Kilkenny and you are right the mother didn't mention a name so the company basically outed themselves

SPDUB wrote: »
    It has to be that story as the Rose of Tralee story happened in Kilkenny and you are right the mother didn't mention a name so the company basically outed themselves
    can't be defamation if the company couldn't be identified though..

Intriguing.

which I heard him say twice in a couple of minutes this morning.

meant to add also, that the Rose of Tralee story paints a fairly bad picture of Kilkenny and the kind of visitor it attracts.

Uncharted wrote: »
    No death today.

Except of course for Tubbs dying at the end of the show,as he delivered a grovelling apology to the Tramline bar for airing false info early in the week.

RTE lawyers in a hasty backtrack meltdown.

How intriguing. :)
    Wednesday's podcast is now only 45 minutes long instead of the usual hour, so I think they've had to take it down.

Quite unusual for something like that to get past the producer/ Tubridy. I always assume half the things my friends tell me are embellished for entertainment effect, let alone complete strangers who ring into radio shows. Surely Ryan should have been a bit more skeptical before apparently allowing an organisation to be defamed.

plodder wrote: »
    can't be defamation if the company couldn't be identified though..
    ..intriguing

which I heard him say twice in a couple of minutes this morning.

The courts here have taken a very broad view of identification though

Apparently even if only a handful of people can work out who is being talked about that is enough to win a case and that has occurred

• Advertisement

The courts here have taken a very broad view of identification though

Apparently even if only a handful of people can work out who is being talked about that is enough to win an case and that has occurred
    Fair point.

I was half listening to the item itself and wouldn't mind hearing it again, but I had the exact same reaction at the time as the poster above. How on earth could the venue be held responsible for the woman's daughter in that situation? It was obviously not their fault. But, maybe if Ryan had made that point then it wouldn't have been an issue, and I don't think he did ... hope I'm not defaming him now .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can somebody tell the story about the womans daughter

Can somebody tell the story about the womans daughter
    14 year old girl, first time "out" in town. There was some complicated back story about the circumstances but she wasn't allowed into this place and the mother's complaint seemed to be that the venue had a responsibility to mind her, which sounded ridiculous to me. As I said, I was only half listening though.

14 year old girl, first time "out" in town. There was some complicated back story about the circumstances but she wasn't allowed into this place and the mother's complaint seemed to be that the venue had a responsibility to mind her, which sounded ridiculous to me. As I said, I was only half listening though.
    Please tell me Ryan asked her why the parents weren't minding their own 14-year-old?

Please tell me Ryan asked her why the parents weren't minding their own 14-year-old?
    No he didn't, but there was something complicated about that, which she didn't fully explain. Maybe someone else recalls it better.

• Advertisement

Mothers story was that daughter and friends at first disco , daughter left premises for some reason , couldn't get back in

There is more details said that I am not mentioning because of Turbidys apology

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I think Tubs is more enamoured with the idea of reading; it gives him a niche in RTE, the (pseudo-) intellectual presenter. ...... Even with his love of books, it's all general fiction, usually rubbish; nothing heavyweight about it. I'd love to see Tubridy on one of those Arts review shows, but he knows he's not up to that serious level of debate/bull****, and would avoid it.

I have always found this "intriguing" as well. Tubridy is constantly remarking that he tries to "encourage kids to read",whilst simultaneously looking down his nose at young people for using phones. But most of the books he's reads are fiction i.e. absolute b*ll*x that is of no educational value at all. Essentially the same educational value as watching Coronation Street. So what exactly is he looking down his nose at those using their phones for, when both are a complete waste of time?

And then promoting his own Christmas Jumper, cash in your RTE chips, only written because I'm Ryan Tubridy, zero educational value book. Of what educational value are any of his books? His books could be considered analogous to his tenure as host of the Late Late Show - an absolute bl00dy waste of time.

Mothers story was that daughter and friends at first disco , daughter left premises for some reason , couldn't get back in

There is more details said that I am not mentioning because of Turbidys apology

When I heard of this I think of poor Karen Buckley RIP, and her dreadful fate after leaving, for some unknown reason (drug in drink,,who knows) and ending up in a psychopath’s car. A psychopath brought up in the most privileged suburb of Glasgow. Karen was an adult lost-graduate student, aware of the vagaries of life as a qualified nurse. This girl was s child thrown into potentially the same circumstance. It was certainly not the responsibility of an establishment to tskevon a parental role. I would always suggest such a role is best established by an older teenager/adult (relative/family friend)!who could agree to hold the tickets of the young teenagers and keep an eye out whilst not cramping style too much, although parents always must have legal responsibility. It’s an awkward one. I always remember, whilst staying in Killarney on holidays as a young teenager, an uncle (aunt’s husband) stayed way in the background of the Gleneagles whilst mysdlfxand cousins jived on the dance floor, which was fabulous fun. One teenager aged 18 took a big shine to me and my uncle was out of the shadows like a shot. He instructed me to go to my room with aunt, whilst he instructed staff that local lad was paying attention on underaged girls. I felt very safe throughout my fun holiday, and staff paid attention to my uncle who kept a distant eye on proceedings.

Fair point.

I was half listening to the item itself and wouldn't mind hearing it again, but I had the exact same reaction at the time as the poster above. How on earth could the venue be held responsible for the woman's daughter in that situation? It was obviously not their fault. But, maybe if Ryan had made that point then it wouldn't have been an issue, and I don't think he did ... hope I'm not defaming him now .

If I recall cirrectltly, he went in about the possibility that they should have been nicer to the daughter, but I think it went a bit stronger than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

He's not really interested in anything beyond the surface level [...] Even with his love of books, it's all general fiction, usually rubbish; nothing heavyweight about it [...] He doesn't care enough about anything to have serious opinions.

this is spot on..

Tubridy will never be interesting because he doesn't have any passion for anything. He's a drip who's trying to carve out a niche for himself with a contrived "young fogey" persona; a spoiled little ****e with zero life experience and nothing to say. He sounds like he's never had to struggle for anything, like he has spent his whole life floating about the privileged few miles around UCD and Montrose.

What the hell could a fella like this possibly have to offer as a broadcaster? It's no wonder he's an uninteresting old man-child. Of course he would go for the whole "Im great with kids" image. He doesnt need to be informed about anything when dealing with children, he just has to act like the eejit uncle and gets a pat on the back.

I saw him on the Late Late the other night and at on point he was struggling to think of how many players there are on a GAA team. You'd think he'd know this sort of basic stuff when a big part of his job is interviewing sports personalities.

It's like the only concern he has ever had is what Meryl Streep film he's going to go to see next, or what rubbish book he's going to read. And he goes on and on about this stuff like its of vital importance but cant offer an insightful critical analysis into anything.

A real genuine lightweight of a broadcaster.

Maybe tbd mother was trying to start a case/get compo from the establishment and didn’t get anywhere from them other than they said they would defend themselves to the hilt, and mammy’s heckles were raised high and she started by the cheaper way of airing her grievance on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Good to see Maggie got the memo re Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Who is histing this morning.
    I turned it off sfter thirty seconds, horrid voice to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,286 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Seems she also got the depression memo too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72,286 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

tretorn wrote: »
    Who is histing this morning.
    I turned it off sfter thirty seconds, horrid voice to listen to.

Maggie Doyle...no, me neither.

• Advertisement

Did you cry, Peter?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,250 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DWTS......and thats me over to Newstalk and Pat Kenny..
    Bye.

Right Maggie, we get it. You only watched an hour of Roma.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Maggie Doyle...no, me neither.

Nice to know shes still working.......

I loved her in Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Maggie has been on the radar for some time, all rounder class.

Will be interesting to see if the ‘women’s issues’ theme continues thru the week.

Hmmmm.....

Ooh very much B team so far.... Gail something doing the ‘noos ‘ .

Hope there isn’t another ‘ noos’ to join Libreri, and Dunphy.

Otherwise nice neutral voice.

Bit off topic but followed the RT show directly

Only cock up was Maghaberry Prison pronunciation.

Will it be corrected on the 1100 bulletin.............dum dum dum dum dummmmm

Oh dear.... made a bollox of Maghaberry again. ‘Magg a berry with the accent on ‘ berry’

Train problems in ‘Noobridge’

Does somebody not tell these people anything...

I can see the Brenner having issue here.......uhmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

is it not usually "Mack Ab Ree" with the accent on the Ab?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    is it not usually "Mack Ab Ree" with the accent on the Ab?

Mack aaa berry. With the accent on the ‘aaa’

Never heard it pronounced any other way on the media, never ever, even on the SOR show afterwards there was an insert about the event and it was pronounced as you say and I say not once but several times.....several times.

Then she comes along on the 1100 News and mispronounces it again.....

Does nobody monitor this kind of stuff or is everyone in a kind of bubble out in RTE. Surely to fuhhherke someone out there heard this and surely someone should give her the nod on the accepted pronunciation.

They had an hour to sort it out...... jeeez man.... this Schmidt breaks me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Mack aaa berry. With the accent on the ‘aaa’

Never heard it pronounced any other way on the media, never ever, even on the SOR show afterwards there was an insert about the event and it was pronounced as you say and I say not once but several times.....several times.

Then she comes along on the 1100 News and mispronounces it again.....

Does nobody monitor this kind of stuff or is everyone in a kind of bubble out in RTE. Surely to fuhhherke someone out there heard this and surely someone should give her the nod on the accepted pronunciation.

They had an hour to sort it out...... jeeez man.... this Schmidt breaks me up.

And Ryan Tubridy said all this???? No? Oh I thought this was a Tubbs thread!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement