Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

Suckit wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why is Tubridy going?
    I wouldn't have thought he would be known for, or associated in any way with horse racing, nor is his show on when any actual races are being ran.
    Does he just bring in a 'tipster' and give tips?
    Why would anyone listen to tips from a "tipster" on a radio show?

It's totally counter-intuitive and a waste of time. Nobody with a serious tip is going to broadcast it - quite the opposite. I guess they can outline a horse's recent form, but sure that's already reflected in the odds.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a gambler; but have been around enough jockeys to know there are tips and there are *tips*.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Why would anyone listen to tips from a "tipster" on a radio show?

It's totally counter-intuitive and a waste of time. Nobody with a serious tip is going to broadcast it - quite the opposite. I guess they can outline a horse's recent form, but sure that's already reflected in the odds.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a gambler; but have been around enough jockeys to know there are tips and there are *tips*.

I wouldn't have a clue about horse racing. I was wondering why Tubridy would be going there. I don't see any point. Unless he was going to have somebody coming on an suggesting horses to bet on or something.. Even then I couldn't really see the point in him going.

I'm not bothered that he's going, or doing the show from there etc. Just wondering why.

I'm biased, I think it's the greatest racing festival on this planet.

Cheltenham does seem to have a special place in the hearts of Irish people; even if, like myself, they don't gamble.

But I see where you're coming from, I reckon there are a lot of non-racing-fans scratching their heads. Just as I would be if he were broadcasting from Wimbledon or The Tiddlywinks Championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I wouldn't have a clue about horse racing. I was wondering why Tubridy would be going there. I don't see any point. Unless he was going to have somebody coming on an suggesting horses to bet on or something.. Even then I couldn't really see the point in him going.

I'm not bothered that he's going, or doing the show from there etc. Just wondering why.

I’ll tell you why.....

Listener numbers, topical, get a ‘ buzz’ going ....and this is the thing, get the punters fluffed up for the commentary later on.Get them in the mood, however remote from the actual action.3

Tubridy knows nothing about horse racing, as do I, but he is the warm up act for the later action.

He is not going as an expert, in fact the opposite, he is going as a ‘fluffer’ to build up the atmosphere given that the place will be thronged with Irish.

Stop trying to read too much stuff into a fairly mundane and sensible commercial
    operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Out of curiosity, why is Tubridy going?
    I wouldn't have thought he would be known for, or associated in any way with horse racing, nor is his show on when any actual races are being ran.
    Does he just bring in a 'tipster' and give tips?

I don't recall him saying he was

He said he'd been there and of course the show is running s competition to send people there but I can't say I noticed him saying that he/and or the show was going there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've no issue with RTE making a bit of fuss over Cheltenham. It's been going on since God was a child. I used to back horses myself and always listened to Radio 1 if I couldn't get to a telly. I think they should give Joe Duffy and Ray Darcy that week off and do a Cheltenham show from 1.45 till 4.30. Bring in a few people from the sports dept like they do for GAA at the weekends. The current format of Darcy begrudgingly handing over to Des Cahill or whoever 30 seconds before the off. Tubridy doesn't know his horse from his elbow :D .

Someone said to me lately that Cheltenham is the cannabis of gambling. The gateway drug, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,250 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

By all means talk about Cheltenham, but to have the PP name mentioned so often on one of the countrys top radio shows is only going to promote gambling.

Did Ryan issue any warnings or mention bet aware websites at all? I didn't hear any when I was listening to it.

Gambling is a major issue in Ireland at the minute, and its going to get a lot worse in years to come. I used to do a £2 accum on the saturday football matches maybe 20yrs back, then went on to a £5 bet. I stopped many moons ago and haven't really bet since then, bar the odd Euromillions or Lotto. But I know people who regularly gamble large amounts of money, are constantly on their betting app, and even bet on stuff like Chinese Division 2 matches in the middle of the night.

There should be a Fair City style PP (Product Placement) notice at the start of the show.

I only heard the end of the quiz today and I think there was a cursory "Gamble responsibly" sentence at the end. The "Drink responsibly" campaign worked a treat so they're trying it with gambling now. I bet a tenner they'll still be saying it in 10 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,250 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As long as they have the likes of PP giving away trips for a few dozen punters, and which helps fill up the show and make it look like RTe are a great bunch of lads, we will never see the end of them.

In fact, get ready to see more and more of this sort of promotion.

If RTe had any morals, they'd refuse to host a competition to produce a betting company, and instead run their own competition to send maybe 2 people away to it, rather than the pile of people PP paid to send off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ryan has someone on with a connection to...jfk —surprise surprise- this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Tubbs studio will need to be powerhosed after this guy is done.

Kennedy overload baaaaaaby !!

Jumpin' jiminy crickets !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,286 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Did she keep calling him Bryan? :D

Did she keep calling him Bryan? :D

Thanks Brian :)

An interesting book
    Book day
    Children's books
    Ryan's book
    The Paddy power.com quiz, not the Paddy Power quiz.

Tubbs seems to be the real life version of Nicholas Lyndhursts character from the tv show ' Goodnight Sweetheart '.

He really is a throwback to a different decade.

How peculiar :pac:

What is the point of this woman boasting about her global travel with her kids ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

More nonsense fiction. And he sells this bullsh1t to us as if wasting your time on this is superior to watching sci fi movies. Honestly, what is the difference between reading nonsense or watching it on the TV.

"We urge you to gamble responsibly"

That's the country's gambling problem sorted.

Gambling promotion on the airwaves = yawww. Such lol's. Great stuff. :)

Gambling in the bookies/slots = an awful affliction. Homes ruined. So sad. :(

Irish media logic 101

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

sligojoek wrote: »

Not really. RTE can't enforce personal responsibility.

Somebody addicted to gambling isn't going to be swayed by a horse racing/gambling lightweight like Tubbs.

Gambling, like alcohol can be a bit of fun. Unfortunately some people take it too far, and won't listen to friends, family or counselors. They are hardly going to listen to Tubbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Uncharted wrote: »
    Tubbs seems to be the real life version of Nicholas Lyndhursts character from the tv show ' Goodnight Sweetheart '.

He really is a throwback to a different decade.

How peculiar :pac:

Same build too, if I am not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

sligojoek wrote: »

yeaaaaaahhhhhaaaaa and up next we have the really brave Tony Ten who stole from the state and gambled all that money away. What a brave and honest thief he really is.

More Music wrote: »
    Not really. RTE can't enforce personal responsibility.

Somebody addicted to gambling isn't going to be swayed by a horse racing/gambling lightweight like Tubbs.

Gambling, like alcohol can be a bit of fun. Unfortunately some people take it too far, and won't listen to friends, family or counselors. They are hardly going to listen to Tubbs.

Nonetheless, hearing a “lightweight” like Tubbs appearing to endorse Paddy Power and gambling makes it all the more like something the addicted gambler can dismiss from conscience. It’s only when a person has to actually face their conscience that any therapy or healing can happen. Hearing Ryan’s reassuring voice, appearing to say that gambling is a gas bit of fun, let’s the gambler further off the hook. I know people who spend tiny amounts on the horses and get great fun and entertainment out of it, and I know that this type of gambling would be in your and Ryan’s and most people’s, mind/habit. I am hoping one day to be one of those Euromillion winners by spending €2.50 every second week, which is fine and my dream is alive of a house in Dalkey with that little input.

But there are many (young men in particular) who are wrecking their heads/lives with the anticipation of a win or a further win with a bit more, and more and more money. Broadcasters are not directly responsible for every problem in society but they really need to make s better judgement call when accepting what amounts to a great lot of publicity and apparent endorsement of a company that exists solely to make money on gamblersand the more gambling the better for them.

A bit like having a nicotine company doing a promotion by sponsoring a couple of cheap short flights for a fun visit with entertainment, food etc to their factory location. We wouldn’t tolerate that too well. It would be indeed better if RTE itself or maybe one of the airlines etc were to sponsor it, than PP who seem to dominate the scene in a rather outrageous manner.

Go on Ricky. Don't take any sh1te from him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

It seems Ricky Tomlinson's son was an alcoholic and died. Of course Tubridy tried to bring it up.

He was sent packing. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,286 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

It seems Ricky Tomlinson's son was an alcoholic and died. Of course Tubridy tried to bring it up.

He was sent packing. Brilliant.

Ricky couldn’t avoid being asked about Caroline Aherne though :(

RTE...supporting the misery.

What exactly was Tubbs trying to achieve by bringing up the death of Ricky's alcoholic son. It's not even a recent event.
    It's approx 15 years ago. Wtf?

Interview by numbers at Montrose:

1. Do you like Ireland ?
    2. Tell me your opinion of (evil ) Trump
    3. Talk about your new book/dvd/show
    4. Inevitable Brexit reference
    5. Death in your family? Tell me about the paaiin

Rte seems to have a genuine obsession with death. It's bizarre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I would have assumed that no-go areas for discussion would be outlined beforehand?

Ryan went full Father Dougal there.

Don't mention his son, Ryan.

Ryan: Would you like to talk about your son?

Ricky didn't let him drag down the interview when Caroline was brought up. He just talked about the good times and the laughs.

Great bloke Ricky. Sharp as a razor and him nearly 80. Fair play to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭mistersifter

mzungu wrote: »
    I would have assumed that no-go areas for discussion would be outlined beforehand?

You would have thought that if they wanted to discuss his dead son that the shows researchers would have informed him of this.

They obviously wanted to spring the question on him in the hope that he'd just go along with it once on air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement