Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 2016 6Nations/Junior World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Yeah watching the replay I can't see how it was given as a penalty, let alone a yellow. The TMO had the benefit of replay too... Ruined the game.

Wales were far better drilled but really it's about producing a few players for senior level and could be a few in that Ireland squad. Ryan and Browne were great. Poland too but he might be a bit slight for senior level. Deegan impressed me too.

Who are the alternative OHs? McPhillips look alright going forward but was swatted away too many times for this level in my opinion. Though to be fair, people have bad games and the coaching staff picked him for a reason so I wouldn't necessarily call for him to be dropped unless there's a viable replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah watching the replay I can't see how it was given as a penalty, let alone a yellow. The TMO had the benefit of replay too... Ruined the game.

Wales were far better drilled but really it's about producing a few players for senior level and could be a few in that Ireland squad. Ryan and Browne were great. Poland too but he might be a bit slight for senior level. Deegan impressed me too.

Who are the alternative OHs? McPhillips look alright going forward but was swatted away too many times for this level in my opinion. Though to be fair, people have bad games and the coaching staff picked him for a reason so I wouldn't necessarily call for him to be dropped unless there's a viable replacement.
    Don't think TMO/decisions made "ruined the game"
    Wales were that bit better and yes it is all about producing players for pro level and to go on for games like sunday...
    A Lot of guys have primarily played 10 with their clubs/schools/provinces but there position at this level? I don't know. By my count there was at least 4 in the match day squad who could possibly play 10.

In other game tonight
    Scotland beat England 24-6. Scotlands first win(over England) since change to 20s from 19s/21s nearly 10 years ago.
    France are comfortably beating Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

The better side won. The yellow card decision was soft, penalty could be argued but that sort of thing happens dozens of times a game and the players get on with the game. Had to laugh at Ryle Nugent saying the out half didn't milk it! Either way I think Wales would have won anyway.

One element I didn't like was after the first scrum which Wales won a (to my mind dubious) penalty off, half the backs piling in rubbing the Irish lads noses in it. I know its a big occasion for these players and its a big psychological moment in the match but the last thing the game needs is this kind of inflammatory behaviour.

Double Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Wales were that bit better and yes it is all about producing players for pro level and to go on for games like sunday...
    A Lot of guys have primarily played 10 with their clubs/schools/provinces but there position at this level? I don't know. By my count there was at least 4 in the match day squad who could possibly play 10.

Ironically, I'm pretty sure McPhillips' primary schooldays position was full-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Wales were better side, no question.
    Thought our try we got with the maul was rather dubious, the Welsh lad looked like he held it up
    One element I didn't like was after the first scrum which Wales won a (to my mind dubious) penalty off, half the backs piling in rubbing the Irish lads noses in it. I know its a big occasion for these players and its a big psychological moment in the match but the last thing the game needs is this kind of inflammatory behaviour.

In fairness I think Welsh lads went into to congradulate their pack rather than goad the Irish

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Wales were better side, no question.
    Thought our try we got with the maul was rather dubious, the Welsh lad looked like he held it up

In fairness I think Welsh lads went into to congradulate their pack rather than goad the Irish

Perhaps but their celebration of a scrum penalty was ridiculously over the top and if you were the opposition who the penalty was given against you would want to clock one of the opponents.

To my mind the backs have no business arriving into the scene adding fuel to already volatile area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

You love to argue... You don't think the wrongful sinbin during which ireland conceded 10 points (while they were already down 6 points iirc) made a difference to the game? Ireland were out once it was 19-35.

You love to argue... You don't think the wrongful sinbin during which ireland conceded 10 points (while they were already down 6 points iirc) made a difference to the game? Ireland were out once it was 19-35.
    It didn't "ruin the game" though. Ireland were second best as the welsh were so much more clinical than us and we were beaten in pretty much every area of the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Contact was minimal. The Welsh player isn't a 30kg little child, he made the most of the contact and no chance that warranted a yellow.
    wp_rathead wrote: »
    not in a million years
    He turned around which he is entitled to do, you have to retreat to get onside - he did not step into the path of the player
    You're in a world of your own on that one
    corny wrote: »
    He most certainly did not.
    I strongly disagree. Barely moved and have watched it a few times. Allowed to stand your ground and certainly didn't move enough to bring the Welsh player down.
    cson wrote: »
    He stepped while both feet were planted? How does one do that? :confused:

Wasn't a penalty, let alone a yellow card. End of.
    Lads, that green tint is going to cause havoc at the traffic lights. If you're so keen to dismiss me, watch it again in slo mo and tell me that (a) he did not move his right leg and (b) swing his arse into the Welsh player all while (c) looking at him. Oh, and do it without your fingers crossed would ya?

Yep, the Welsh player milked it and should be the next big thing from the valleys after Anthony Hopkins but that doesn't change the fact that it was a penalty. Yellow card was harsh but I've seen harsher.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Lads, that green tint is going to cause havoc at the traffic lights. If you're so keen to dismiss me, watch it again in slo mo and tell me that (a) he did not move his right leg and (b) swing his arse into the Welsh player all while (c) looking at him. Oh, and do it without your fingers crossed would ya?

Yep, the Welsh player milked it and should be the next big thing from the valleys after Anthony Hopkins but that doesn't change the fact that it was a penalty. Yellow card was harsh but I've seen harsher.

Nothing to do with a green tint, hence our beloved token Welshman pennybont's agreement.

It wasn't illegal. It's not illegal to brace for impact, which he did do. It is illegal to change the path of your running to obstruct the kicker, which he did not do.

Nothing to do with a green tint, hence our beloved token Welshman pennybont's agreement.

It wasn't illegal. It's not illegal to brace for impact, which he did do. It is illegal to change the path of your running to obstruct the kicker, which he did not do.
    Seriously, look at it. It's not worth wasting any more of my time on it, but it was pretty blatant and your dressing it up as bracing for impact is just bollocks. I'm surprised you're taking this stance, you're normally not as one-eyed.

Seriously, look at it. It's not worth wasting any more of my time on it, but it was pretty blatant and your dressing it up as bracing for impact is just bollocks. I'm surprised you're taking this stance, you're normally not as one-eyed.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're one-eyed. You're way out on your own on this one.

t45ao9t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

He's not one-eyed, he's right. Shocking decision. Wasn't even a penalty. In fact he overruled the TMO who wanted just a penalty.

That said we struggled to match their power and they deserved the win. The try we scored off the maul was very dodgy too, if he'd gone to the TMO I don't think it'd have been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

eigrod wrote: »
    that's an awful decision. Welsh player played for that.

He should have been given a round ball for Christmas. To be fair to the Welsh nation in general, I think Nigel Owens would have put him right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

gazump123 wrote: »
    Browne, Poland and Ryan the standouts for me on the Irish team. Going by that performance, don't know how Browne didn't start based on that performance.

Yeah would agree with that, Deegan will be under pressure who I believe was concussed when he got his injury very wobbly when he got to his feet and had an effect on his performance.

Dissapointed with the scrum, we seem to be struggling there with such a big pack that is nothing short of Criminal, apparently the 20s pack apart from Toner are equal weight to Irish senior pack on Sunday. A problem at 20s level and also at Leinster.

Flipper22 wrote: »
    He's not one-eyed, he's right. Shocking decision. Wasn't even a penalty. In fact he overruled the TMO who wanted just a penalty.

That said we struggled to match their power and they deserved the win. The try we scored off the maul was very dodgy too, if he'd gone to the TMO I don't think it'd have been given.
    The TMO said 'carton' a couple of times. Didn't catch the rest but it was before the ref said anything.

Look maybe you're not being one-eyed but the guy clearly moved to obstruct the Welsh player. It was clearly obvious on the second angle. If he was standing his ground, he needn't have stuck his arse out the way he did. It was not a natural movement unless the intent was to block.

Without a video of it, I can't say any more. But really why are you even defending the guy? He did something that was clearly interpreted as a block by two officials who really can't have had an axe to grind (unless you're a conspiracy theorist). It may not have cost us the game, but it cost ten points and that may have made a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Let's be honest, Mc Phillips couldn't tackle a bag of Taytos . Too light , too small and all his rugby played at u18 level for England was at full back. Typical Ireland he gets drafted straight on to the team and isn't up to much.There are better 10's in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭cson

The TMO said 'carton' a couple of times. Didn't catch the rest but it was before the ref said anything.

Look maybe you're not being one-eyed but the guy clearly moved to obstruct the Welsh player. It was clearly obvious on the second angle. If he was standing his ground, he needn't have stuck his arse out the way he did. It was not a natural movement unless the intent was to block.

Without a video of it, I can't say any more. But really why are you even defending the guy? He did something that was clearly interpreted as a block by two officials who really can't have had an axe to grind (unless you're a conspiracy theorist). It may not have cost us the game, but it cost ten points and that may have made a difference.

TMO cost us 10 points.

Do you realise you're the only dissenting voice here amongst x amount of people who've watched it? RTE panel were also unanimous in labelling it a terrible call. Which it was.

TMO cost us 10 points.

Do you realise you're the only dissenting voice here amongst x amount of people who've watched it? RTE panel were also unanimous in labelling it a terrible call. Which it was.
    Yes I do. And I stand by it. There's absolutely no denying what he intended. I also showed the clip to two other guys who play rugby and hadn't seen the match and they both said it was deliberate. Two replays was all it took.

But I'm the only one here plus the TMO and the Ref. I'm quite happy with the company I'm in. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

There's absolutely no denying what he intended.

I deny it.

For anyone wondering

TMO cost us 10 points.

Welsh also called it incorrect, not just the RTE panel.

Surprised at only 3000 or so at the game Friday night. For all talk about moving games to Donnybrook I thought we would see more at the game than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

One of the wingers was shocking. Hope terry kennedy gets a run on Friday, very exciting with ball in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

funtime93 wrote: »
    One of the wingers was shocking. Hope terry kennedy gets a run on Friday, very exciting with ball in hand.

Missed the game as I was at a match so I can't comment on performances. I am surprised Terry Kennedy wasn't selected and would love to see him get a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

In a pub in town Friday night with work and the game was on. When the incident happened a group of Welsh fans to the front burst out laughing that it was given. One was drunkenly chanting that the 10 should replace Gareth bale in the football team

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    In a pub in town Friday night with work and the game was on. When the incident happened a group of Welsh fans to the front burst out laughing that it was given. One was drunkenly chanting that the 10 should replace Gareth bale in the football team

It's a shame as the Welsh 10 was absolutely terrific - looks like he'll be a very good player
    Hopefully this was a once of incident and doesn't make a habit of it

Advertisement