Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Neil R

Have you decided to go ahead with the procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Wiggotry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Patsy167

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Looks like a wig, clamped onto the head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

wtf... The video explains exactly what is happening 😆

The guys are thinning so they have the extra fine hairs and then these extensions are attached to those hairs.

I'd be wary about how long they would last though given the weak strength of those hairs?

Wouldn't want someone to pull it at a concert or something

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

Hey everyone, had a consultation with Dr Nel and he gave me a prescription for loniten. i had been using regaine until i got the prescription. i was wondering when i start using loniten and stop using regaine will i start to shed hair at the start like what happens when you start using regaine? did anyone have any side effects when moving from regaine to loniten initially?

thanks

same here. I was using regaine and switched to loniten as per Dr Nel's advice. I did not see much difference, there was no "additional" shed :)

Important: be sure to check the expiry date on the box of Loniten when getting from the pharmacy.

They usually allow for at least 120-180 days for the 60 tablets, but as we're getting 240 days out of them (quarter tablet per day) the expiry date needs to be almost a year from the date of purchase.

My box are expiring at the end of this month, but my prescription was supposed to last until August, so the pharmacy are giving me a new replacement box for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeWanderer

Have any of you been successful in claiming back costs for Dr. Nel Consultation on your health insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

i didnt think we could do that, have you tried?

yeah.. he's a registered GP. You can look up his name when submitting the form (on Laya anyway).

Maybe edit out the hair clinic bit from the logo on the screenshot of the receipt when creating the snapshot, if you want to avoid questions (although as he is a registered GP and providing prescriptions like any other it might not be necessary)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeWanderer

Thank you. Were you waiting long to get a consultation with him? I'm thinking of giving them a buzz today.

He does seem to be getting busier by the day so I'd get onto him asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

holy ****! what a result!

This thread has saved me years of research, just booked a consult with Dr Nel.

Is there a reason for the lack of love for Ailesbury around here? are they best avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Juan-Pablo

I posted my first and only message on here in early January in a panic about my appearance, having been over weight, bearded and shaved bald. I decided I was going to look into HT but a friend who had a very successful op in the states, suffered side effects from fin so I opted to get the Hairmetto starter kit (Saw Palmetto) with a Derma Roller. I had seen their vids and figured it was a no brainer to spend about €260 now rather than give the HT a go as a first option. I also came across a vid from the doc on another page here with the Mathew McConnaghy vid, who said that for derma rolling to work you would really need to use 1.5mm needles (Hairmetto roller is 0.25mm).

So I do the following:

Monday-

1. Exfoliate scalp.
    2. Apply hairmetto topical oil treatment (about 10 drops) massage into scalp.
    3. Roll on a Monday morning with the 1.5mm roller (6 rolls on each linear path which is approx 36 rolls front to back (6 lines of 6 rolls), 36 rolls side to side and 36 rolls diagonally)- this can be a bit painful and a bit bloody.
    4. Note on pain, appearance & blood: The pain is ok, I sometimes find myself squeezing my nose and holding breath (but I lean hard on the roller), your scalp will be red as **** for about and hour and a half and the blood does not scab and is wiped clear with the oil post rolling.
    5. Apply topical oil treatment and massage into scalp.
    6. Wash hair every 2nd or 3rd day.
    7. Tuesday-Sunday: Apply hairmetto daily topical Gel to style.

I am ten weeks in and starting to see some small results. They say to stick at it for 5 months before you will notice real results. Also, I wash my derma roller with boiling water.

You need to zoom in to see the new/regrown hair:

I am pleased with the results so far tbh.

EDIT: I had left out Tuesday-Sunday on final bullet point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Good that you're seeing results, however it sounds like you are pushing way too hard with your derma roller. It's not necessary to draw blood for derma rolling to be effective.

Boiling water will damage the needles on your derma roller, don't use it. Also, hot/boiling water isn't enough to kill certain types of bacteria, you should be santizing with alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Very interesting/informative. Looks like there is a bit of potential there.

Please keep us update

A bit extreme routine, but anything that helps is worth it :).

Perhaps consider using Minoxidil after rolling cause that way it is absorbed faster. AFAIK saw palmetto is a DHT inhibitor (you can take it as a capsule) while min can help in more hair growth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

What kind of money are we talking for a transplant with Dr Nel? I've tried fin twice before, got sides so gave it up. Is it a waste of time trying to get a transplant if I don't take fin? I'm probably a Norwood 3 or 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Kamu

I was with Dr Nel recently.

He said that in his experience about 95% of hair transplants fail because the patient does not take the medication.

He said that, again in his experience, fin is worth about 90% of the effective treatments with Nizoral, Loniton and Derma rolling making up the other 10%

I have the skin sensitivity of a 1 month old. My wife once put a nivea face mask on me for the **** and giggles and it burnt the face off me. Not going to try anything chem heavy.

Meant to do this a while back

28th Feb (week 2) Hair is shorter than today (but not much):

I have included the photos post rolling- I took the advice from a @waynescales1 (thanks) and did not lean hard this time, but there was still some blood.

The oil has just been applied, hence the big greasy lookin head on me. When you apply the oil it actually makes the hair look a lot thinner.

The angle and lighting can be a bit deceptive, but I am happy out. When I pull my hair back with my hand I can see loads of tiny (3-5mm) regrown hairs. You are not meant to see any tangible results from this treatment until about 20-22 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Anyone any info on Sule hair clinic in Turkey? Got a few recommendations. Going to bite the bullet and go for a transplant but obviously picking the right one is hard.

Or if anyone has alternative suggestions, let me know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭HBC08

Sule are not a good clinic.

If you can give an idea of your budget I can point you more accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Budget would be about 7k. I'm a Norwood 3 vertex. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭HBC08

Right,it's basically all good news for you in that case.So without seeing pics that sounds like thinning or even a bald patch on the crown.

You should give the meds a try to stabilise your hair loss,a transplant won't do anything to stabilise it.The younger you are the more important it is to get on finesteride.In fact if you're just a Norwood 3 and we're a good responder to finesteride and Minoxidil you might not need a ht at all.

I would get on both meds for a year and reassess then,I would use the year to educate yourself on the whole process.

Its an absolute minefield out there but a good,honest one stop shop for absolutely everything you need to know is Mr Rolandas on YouTube.A decent fb group is hairloss conquerors but be aware they're slightly more geared towards cheaper Turkish places and also the handful of decent Turkish places,Sule clinic would fall very much into the former.

You're lucky enough to afford a decent doctor so do the research, the crown in some cases is more difficult that the hairline if done correctly, the grafts need to be placed in such a way that it recreates your original sworl pattern,a hair mill in Turkey will not be doing this.

I'm having my 2nd HT in Jan and am having the crown done,I'm going with Dr Bisanga in Belgium again.You won't get him for 7000 for you will get guys who are near enough the same level for about €3 a graft.Check out Dr Bruno Ferrero in portugal for example.

Also have a look at hairrrestorationnetwork.com for other high end surgeons at reasonable prices.

If you wanted to do it on a budget Fuecapilar in Turkey has Dr Gur and Dr Turan,depending on what package you could get either of them for between €3k and €5k

Advertisement