Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If starting on Proscar (Finasteride variant Dr Nel recommends) let us know if you've had any trouble sourcing it as Dr Nel's email stated

We have contacted Merck Sharpe & Dohme Ireland (MSD Ireland) & they advised that the licensing of this product now belongs to a former subsidiary of MSD called Organon Pharma (Ireland) LTD. Organon’s supplier has advised that the medication will next be available from September 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi guys can anyone give me a rough idea of how much it costs or how much it is for a certain amount of graphs/transplants with dr nels team.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm not 100% sure but think it's €4 or €4.5 per graft.

If you're going to spend that kind of money you can get some of the biggest and best names worldwide in the industry in Spain,Portugal and Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Has anyone any experience with this company in the below video. Their results are fairly impressive. They're in India. Not much info on pricing but I'm impressed with their results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE-u_KEHWFI&t=141s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Seen that guy’s story before, nearly 12k grafts and his donor area still looks pristine. How on earth is that possible?

• Advertisement

Got quoted €10K Dr. Bicer. 4000 grafts at €2.50 a pop. Ouch.

God it's such a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Jesus I presumed Dr Bicer be a lot cheaper than that! ouch indeed.

It seems Dr Bicers prices have nearly doubled in the last 18 months.

There are much better options at that price or a little higher.

She was a good solid option at around €1.25 but not now.Its no coincidence that this price hike and marketing herself as a high end surgeon has come about at the same time as she has Joe Tillman promoting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I thinking I'm going to book my surgery next year with FueCapillar. They are onto me to start taking Fin beforehand, I've told them I'm not touching the stuff again as I sides in two different occasions. They mentioned topical Fin, anyone any experience with this?

@HBC08 Alright mate you recommended DR Bicer to me last year and researching her I was hoping to go next year but theres no way I can afford them prices! can you recommend anyone else PM if necessary

• Advertisement

What's your budget roughly?

For around €1 a graft you can get Dr Gur at Fuecapilar,Dr Turan at Fuecapilar is more popular but Gur has better results and you might able to get into him quicker.

Post edited by benny79 on

Hi there,

It's good you did your research and sorry it didn't work out as well as you would have liked,especially as you didn't just go to the first hair mill that popped up.Ive seen decent results from Sule but that means nothing,that dr/team could be long gone or at another clinic,stsrted their own clinic etc.Loads of people get good results from hair mills but it's way too risky for me.You need lots of results from the doctor who will be doing your procedure and then study them.

Apologies if I asked before but how old are you?

Has hairloss stabilised?

Are you on meds?

€6k is a decent budget buy I'm not awfully familiar with mid tier doctors that you could get at this price.Bicer was one but has decided now she top tier even though her results don't reflect this.

You might not even need or have 3k grafts available as you had a previous ht.You need to be especially careful for a 2nd ht as donor management is even more important now.

For example Dr Ferrera is €3 a graft and is probably the best value in Europe at the moment.Your €6k would be 2000 grafts with him and that could go a long way,his donor management would be top notch too.

I've sent you a pm too but thought some of the above info might help some on here.

So after a few weeks research I've decided I'm going to pay a deposit this week. It'll be either Smile or Dr. Cinik. I'm leaning heavily towards Cinik as they seem to have a better reputation online. They have told me they'll give me 4000 grafts and the price is €3200 for their DHI package. I'll get around 80% coverage and willpossibly need a second transplant. I've been messing around thinking about this for too long now so biting the bullet and booking it.

I asked Smile should I get on Fin now and they said to wait 'til after the transplant, found that a bit odd?

Am I mad to do this?

Yes hair loss has stabilised and I'm 42. No not on any meds and dont want to be as lads I know that went to Turkey aren't on any. Lad in work actually went to Turkey he has great density but his fringe is mad looking! All the girls in work even commentated on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I had my consultation with Dr Nel in April 2021 and my follow up consultation in November 2021 and was quoted 10k for 2500 folicules for a FUE/FUT combo plus €2700 for SMP needed 6 months after. After 2 postponements I'm finally booked and paid for next month. Looking forward to finally getting it done.

Is he still charging €4 a folicule?

Who suggested you need SMP and who is doing it? Is it for donor or hairline/midscalp?

Also €2700 seems very steep for it.

I've mentioned this before and don't want to be banging the same drum over and over but €4 a graft can get you some of the best and most renowned surgeons in Europe.I hear good things about Dr Nel and he seems to be the best choice in Ireland but he's a relative nobody in the HT world.I understand some people will pay a premium to stay in ireland but for that money I'd be wanting the best.

Is using SMP to "fill in" a depleted donor area after surgery an option people take?

Yes but usually after the donor has been overharvested or its a botch job.Ive never heard a Dr suggest SMP before the surgery. The poster mentions they are have a part FUT procedure,some people use SMP on the linear scar but again this is when the scar is not done correctly.A modern FUT scar is nothing to the horrific stuff you see 20 years ago if done right.

• Advertisement

Your comment caught my attention as it relates to my own situation. My donor site is quite depleted because I have retrograde alopecia as well. Dr. Turan will only extract a maximum 3,250 grafts from it. Realistically I need around 5k grafts (plus maybe even some beard grafts) to get good coverage on top. So I actually considered suggesting to Dr. Turan myself, to deliberately overharvest my donor site to get the necessary number of grafts and then I'll worry about my donor site later, perhaps "fixing" it with SMP or a body hair transplant at a later time.

Not sure whether he'll agree to that though, or if there's a down side to my idea that I haven't thought of....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭thebourke

how much is the initial consultation with doctor nel?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Dr Nel is doing the SMP 6 months after the proceedure.

I got at HT done in July 2020 with MHR clinic here in Ireland but they didn't do a great job and butchered my donor somewhat, hence the need for the FUT/FUE combo plus SMP on my donor afterwards.

I understand that Dr Nel is expensive but he is actually well regarded in the HT world, plus the comfort of being in my own home is worth the extra expense imo.

Ok thanks for reply.

It's interesting because I've never heard of a doctor suggesting SMP themselves and I've never heard of a doctor who performs it himself.I think you're in safe enough hands with Dr Nel by the way,like I said I hear good things about him,the fact that he does FUT is a major plus.Still whatever about his price per graft €2700 is crazy money for SMP but I don't know any decent places in ireland that do it.

He's the only Dr I'd go to if I had to in Ireland,best of luck with it.

Unless you had in person consultation with Turan he's not going to know how much he can extract.If you have retrograde alopecia then that's not good on many levels,for example there's no guarantee the implanted hairs won't just fall out as they are already thinning out where they are now in your "safe" zone.

Of course there are varying degrees of retrograde alopecia and it's a good sign that Dr Turan said he'd operate at all but if i was you id be getting an in person consultation with a reputable Dr.In Ireland thats literally 2 options,Dr Nel or Blackrock Clinic.

So I suppose the 3,250 he mentioned in his offer is just an estimate from the photos I sent him then. I'm pretty sure the retrograde alopecia has stopped advancing and, in general, that the Finasteride I've been taking for the last 18 months has done its job. Far as I can tell I have the same amount of hair as I had when I began treatment, if not slightly more.

I'm gonna push him to extract as many grafts from the donor site as I can persuade him to. I'd take 6k out of it, if it were up to me. I've plenty of beard/body hair I can replace the extracted grafts with. Doesn't make sense to me leave the best quality hair I have on the back and sides where I'm gonna be shaving it down to 0.5mm in length after surgery.

No reputable doctor is going to deliberately over harvest your donor. Also you should realise that you'll have thousands of little scars in the donor,shaving it down mightnt be an option (although this depends on the skill of the doctor as well as your own physiology)

No doctor can give you an accurate number of grafts outside of an in person consultation.They need to calculate things like hair calibre (by microns) groupings,folliclar units by cm2 etc.

Turan is a decent Dr (although I have seen one bad botch job from him so he'd be off my list) but he's still a safe enough bet.Theres no way he will go along with 6k grafts in one sitting from anybody,nevermind someone with retrograde alopecia.

Again,I keep coming back to the same point ,get an in person consultation from a reputable doctor and then you'll have an idea of where you actually stand.

I thought that these days FUE transplants left little to no visible scarring whatsoever on the donor area. FUECapilar's technician who does the extractions has been with them for 6-7 years, sounds very experienced.

Dr. Turan's limit is 3k grafts per session, my surgery is gonna be spread across 2 days, hence the 6k. I was told 3,250 plus up to 1,500 beard/body hair grafts (each) so I might get close to 6k even if he can't extract more from my donor area. I'll find out in February I suppose.

Where can I see this botch job by Dr. Turan?

Ah OK,good idea doing it over 2 days if you doing anything above 3k grafts although some places will do up to 5k in a day,not worth the risk.

Good idea going with the beard hair too,I was going to suggest that.My surgeon recommended it to me for my second ht coming up in Jan but its not for me,I told him we'll stick to whatever we can get from donor (which should be just about enough after in person consultation)I know people who had beard hair in the crown and are very happy but they can still feel the difference between it and normal hair ie its obviously much more coarse and thick.If i was very badly stuck I would strongly consider it.Also with beard hair there are no groupings (ie they are all singles bar very few exceptions)

On the scarring issue,you will have thousands of little scars,these can be almost undetectable or can be quite pronounced so you wouldt be able to shave bald or to a grade1.Check out Mr Rolandas on YouTube, he's a great source of info and had one of the best HTs I've ever seen (two by Dr Ferrera) however his scars are very noticeable if he shaves it right down and he does several vids on this.

Body hair isn't as good as the hair growth phases are very different to normal scalp hair.If body hair worked well then people would have almost unlimited donor,arms,legs,chest,ballsack!

I've seen probably over 100 cases from Dr Turan,I was considering going to him in 2019.I decided against it as I didn't like his hair lines,all too straight and all identical but I believe him to be an ethical Dr and a good choice.It was only a few weeks ago I saw a really bad case from him ( it was either on Conquers fb page or HRN site,can't remember which,shouldn't be hard to find) No ht can be guaranteed and I've seen some of the best in the world get mediocre or even bad results.However in this case there was some avoidable and unforgiveable stuff like hair planted at the wrong angle,I assume this was a tech or whatever but that guy still has a botched ht.

Don't let me put you off Turan,for price, ethics and results he's better than 90% of doctors in Turkey.Your case sounds like a complicated one and you need a good doctor to deal with that which you have.

Best of luck with it and I'm looking forward to hearing about results.

• Advertisement

@HBC08 Did you hear of Anatomica Clinic? I know you said you'd recommend Dr Turan But I was talking to a Lad in that went to Anatomica (I know its probably a hair mill) but he got some results! I was very impressed 3600 grafts. I asked him what made him pick there? he said he knew a few people that went there and seen their results and wanted to see someones actually results before he choose a place. He did was impressed so went there.

Advertisement