Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Does anyone know a doctor that prescribes oral minixodil in Ireland? I enquired about a booking a consultation with Dr Nel who prescribes it but there is no availability until May. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭HBC08

Sorry to hear this.

I went for a consultation with them and they are the only ht clinic I know of who actively discourage the use of finesteride.

I'm not on finisteride myself anymore but there's no doubt it works.Its Its up to each person to chose for themselves but a so called professional telling all their patients not to take it is borderline negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Just a bit of advice for anyone considering going down the HT route, my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Obviously doing your research is important for something like this. This thread has been an invaluable resource for myself and I think you can get pretty much all the info you need to give you a steer in the right direction from this thread alone.

While research is important, personally, I would advise steering clear of some forums /groups out there. Hair loss conquerors on FB seems to be populated mostly by lunatics (there was a guy posting the other day who is 6 months post HT and has just started rubbing garlic on his head??) and r/hairtransplants from what I can see has some good advice but also some pretty bad advice that if I'd read it before booking my HT I might not have bothered.

For example, one comment I read the other day said something along the lines of "just accept the fact you'll look like sh*t for 4 months post HT and after that it'll start to look good". Sure, from month 4 onwards the growth of new hair may be visible but there is no one size fits all when it comes to HT's. The new hairs may not be visible at that stage, also you may not necessarily "look like ****" for the first 4 months post HT.

I'm 2 weeks post HT today (FUE / FUT combo) and because I didn't shave my recipient area, you wouldn't be able to tell that I've had anything done, bar the FUT scar on the back of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

It doesn't make sense for me to have a HT clinic advocating against Fin.

Yeah, it has potential side effects, but if you want a HT, you have to accept those risks. Getting a HT if you have a receding hairline, is utterly stupid without Fin as you will continue to lose hair behind the donor site and end up looking completely odd.

Dermarollers and Saw Palmetto absolutely cannot halt it.

Obviously it's slightly different if you go from being completely bald to getting an extensive HT as the planted hairs are immune to loss. But for most people, who get a HT to cover a receded hairline, Fin is a necessity if you want to maintain that hairline.

If anything, I would almost hazard a guess that it's a reason to have clients return for a further HT to cover the loss area. There's a reason why virtually all hairloss clinics advise Fin. It's because it works and it's literally the only way to halt MPB to allow a HT to remain looking natural.

I would agree that some online groups are terrible,the Hairloss Crusaders fb group (probably the biggest ht fb group in the world)for example is moderated by Qunomedical,they are middle men for Turkish hair mills like half decent outfits like Cinic to bottom of the barrel places like Smile.Thet literally won't let you say where you had a ht if it wasn't with one of their partner clinics.Steer clear.

You mention the Hairloss Conquerors fb group, they grew out of disgruntled members of the Crusaders group who figured out the con and started their own fb group,its nearly as big now and a much fairer representation of things (if there's an fb group with almost 10k members you'll always get the odd eejit talking about rubbing garlic on his head etc) overall its a useful group but is still cheap Turkish centric. This group is overall a useful place.

Hair Restoration Network is probably the best resource (even if it's a bit US centric and high end European surgeons)

My advise having been through the research process for 2 years and nearly getting caught with dodgy clinics etc is to take your time,don't rush into anything and educate yourself on the subject. If I was asked where to start I'd recommend Mr Rolandas on yt.A one stop shop from meds,to ht,to derma rolling,what to look out for in a dodgy clinic,aftercare to anything you could think of.I wish his channel was there when I was starting out looking for info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Why are Smile Clinic in Turkey bottom of the barrel? Google, Trustpilot, Quonmedical, they're ratings on all of them are very high.

Qunomedical rate Smile Clinic highly? I imagine they do as they are their sole booking agent,this is a perfect example of not doing your research.

I'm in contact with 2 guys who went there in 2019,at the time they were being heavily promoted on the Crusaders fb page.I was booked with them at that time myself but as I learned more about hts in general I decided against it.One of those lads had a failed transplant and the other was a total botch job,donor destroyed.

Both have since went for repairs with expensive European surgeons,first guy has had a great repair job the other was told there's only so much that can be done with the state of his donor but its coming in OK now.

Look,there's a massive amount of misinformation out there re hts,it's a total minefield,don't go for a medical procedure that if it isn't done right you'll have to live with based off Trustpilot reviews.

Look for specific surgeons with close up before and afters.

Post edited by HBC08 on

Yeah research is very tough, for instance the surgeon who “botched” your 2 contacts HTs could probably provide numerous before and after close ups of very good transplants they performed previously.

Wayne,I'll be honest here,whether you go and destroy yourself in the bottom of the barrel clinics in Turkey or take on any advise on here doesn't really put me up or down.

When I come on boards it's either to express an opinion about stuff I know about,stuff I think I know about or stuff I have an interest in but don't really know about.Cars for example, I love cars but know fùck all about the mechanical side of it,there's loads of good info on here,I like to take it in and learn.The HT world is a total minefield,lads who haven't fully researched or know what theyre doing are the low hanging fruit for the sales guys.

It's a skill to know when to speak and when to sit back and listen in life in general.You seem to be a prime candidate for unethical clinics to take advantage of based on your posts on here (there's more unethical ones out there than good ones)

You said Qunomedical have great reviews for Smile (I explained that's because they are the sales and marketing agents for Smile and a good few other clinics) you ignored this in your response.

If you're interested I'll let you know the mistakes I nearly made on this journey (and there were many)

For starters can you find a close up vid or pic from a specific surgeon at Smile Clinic?

Bit of a trick question as there are no specifically trained ht surgeons at Smile,same at the majority of Turkish clinics with some notable exceptions.But let's ignore that and see how you get on finding close up before and afters showing singles only in hairline etc.

I'm not being a dick here,I've seen so many feic themselves up or at best have substandard hts.Ill gladly answer any questions as best I can but all the info is there from reputable guys online,some of these I know before they started yt channels.

Neither of them were surgeons, they are doctors (Cinic, who is one of the more decent ones,for example is a physiologist )

You won't get a ht surgeon in Turkey or anywhere else for €2500

• Advertisement

The only reason I was curious about Smile in particular is because I just learned that GrowClub.ie have “partnered” with Smile Clinic, so just asking the question.

I don’t think I’m ignoring anything my only point was that it’s difficult to identify doctors who are universally approved, with no bad reviews.

Like for example I saw some excellent results and reviews for Vera Clinic (on Reddit), which can make it tempting to take the plunge but after further research (on hair transplant network) saw some posters just trash their reputation.

I would be interested in a “guide” because at the moment I feel like I’m going around in circles with my research.

Fair enough, the whole thing is daunting,no doubt.

Take it from someone who's been through it.

Forget about Vera,Smile,Growclub etc (did you do the thing suggested about close up before and after pics from a dedicated ht surgeon from any of those places?) Do that and come back to me.

@waynescales1

Reading back here I think I came across a bit aggressive and that wasn't my intention.

If you're looking to do a bit of research there's loads of good yt channels out there.Theres so many that's it's nearly as daunting as choosing a clinic in the first place! So I'll narrow it down to one,Mr Rolandas.A one stop shop,watch some of his vids and you'll get an idea,if you have time watch them all and you'll know pretty much everything there is to know as a layman.

The guy makes no money off it and does it as a hobby,he had two hts now and it's one if the best transformations I've seen.Genuine guy (I had interactions with him before he ever started his channels) and willing to share honest and accurate info.

Good luck with it and if I can help with any questions from my own experiences then fire away.

Yeah I saw Rolandas' 6500 graft HT, looks phenomenal. I'll try more of his videos.

Anyone know where to get Tretinoin in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Hi..i received a phone call this evening about a cancellation at HSW Clinic in Swords for tomorrow. The person in the phone said I would not be meeting Dr Nel tomorrow but someone else. I rang a few months ago and they said April would be the next possible date for an appointment. Its all very last minute. I am only going up to try and get a prescription for oral minoxidil really as the topical irrates my scalp. Anyone any advice or questions to ask when I am up there? I have not really thought about a hair transplant yet but might enquire more when I am up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Juan-Pablo

Has anyone any experience with the Vinci Hair Clinic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Anybody have success with derma rolling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 St. Pat

The problem with places like Smile and Cinik is that they're hair mills whereby they have a number of technicians (rather than doctors) that carry out the procedures. So one individual may be lucky and get an experienced tech who is good and it's their results you see on social media etc. The unfortunate reality is that there are bad and inexperienced techs as well!! So you're basically playing Russian Roulette with you hair if you decide to go to these places.

As said before Hair Restoration Network and Hairloss Conquerors are good places to do research. Mr Rolandas on YouTube is a godsend!

I’m learning a lot from yer man Matt Dominance, great videos.

He has good vids and are informative,ypure on the right tract with channels like that.His own ht isn't great though.

• Advertisement

Think so? Thought it looked well, especially when you see how he looked before. I think he may have had 3 of them at this stage though.

On the subject of the role of technicians in surgery, I think even the best clinics/surgeons use technicians to some degree? The most difficult and important part of the surgery is the incision, which should be performed by the doctor I believe. Harvesting and implanting can be done by technicians as they require less skill?

In fairness I hadn't seen his channel in a couple of years so I'm basing that on his first ht.Even at that time he was speaking sense and was a good honest source of info.

Yes most of the top surgeons use technicians to varying degrees,mostly for implanting.I would definitely have the surgeon do the incisions but also the extractions,it's fine for an experienced tech to do the implanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭thebourke

roughly speaking how much does a hair transplant cost in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 St. Pat

Dr Nel seems to be the most popular on this forum and he charges €4 per graph. For someone at stage 3/4 on the norwood scale 3000 graphs would be a typical procedure so roughly 12k. There are also cheaper and more expensive options in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Is there a brick and mortar shop you can pick up 70% isopropyl alcohol in Dublin (northside preferably).

Is it pharmacy or DIY suppliers I'd be looking at? Tesco maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Is it Dr Tunde? She works with Dr Nel and is very good

70% is actually quite tough to find, I had to order online off a place up in Donegal. Alternatively you can buy 99% off adverts.ie and dilute it with distilled water.

• Advertisement

Found this 500ml from Amazon.de with free delivery and in a glass bottle for €9.94

It's notable in the "frequently bought together" one of the items is a dermaroller :D

Advertisement