Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

princip wrote: »
    Great looking job alright.

the more I look the more I think I will go with him as well. He doesn't seem to be perfect but he seems very good and It doesn't seem to be the case that if you pay thousands more that you get any better of a result.

Did you go for any of the extras e.g sapphire blades? Cinik doing the opening of the canals? the pain-free anasthetic?

Would also love to see your befores

I did have him do opening of canals and I went for the pain free anaesthetic. Defo recommend that. I am not mad into pain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Iwantcoffeenai

I went for a consultation with Dr Nel and was really impressed. I would never have heard of him without this thread. He will fill in the temples of my hairline and increase the density in my crown. My first transplant with another clinic would not do this for whatever reason. He thinks it was due to my initial reluctance to take finasteride which I now do.

Has anyone had a transplant done with him? What was your experience and results like? He says he does the incisions in the evening before and then the transplant the following day. This means an overnight stay which is a bit annoying.

Also he strongly advised using Proscar instead of generic finasteride. Has anyone noticed a difference between the two?

I went for a consultation with Dr Nel and was really impressed. I would never have heard of him without this thread. He will fill in the temples of my hairline and increase the density in my crown. My first transplant with another clinic would not do this for whatever reason. He thinks it was due to my initial reluctance to take finasteride which I now do.

Has anyone had a transplant done with him? What was your experience and results like? He says he does the incisions in the evening before and then the transplant the following day. This means an overnight stay which is a bit annoying.

Also he strongly advised using Proscar instead of generic finasteride. Has anyone noticed a difference between the two?

Do you stay in the clinic?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Yes, I too switched from generic fin to proscar. It is a pain cutting up the tablets, but proscar seems to be more effective.
    Also I switched from Minoxidil foam to Loniten. Seems like a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

suave.4u wrote: »
    Yes, I too switched from generic fin to proscar. It is a pain cutting up the tablets, but proscar seems to be more effective.

Any side effects ?

• Advertisement

Odd. Same ingredient.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

There’s loads of reviews from him on this thread if you search back a few pages. Incisions the day before are a real game changer. It gives him and the team more time on the day to concentrate on the important part, i.e. transplanting grafts.

Proscar is the same thing, just a different brand. It was the original prostate drug that was found to help with hair also, then they rebranded it and hiked up the price because the cosmetic industry has better margins. If you want to pay for the more expensive one then by all means do!

Hi everyone I think this is the main hair transplant thread so I'm posting here.

Anyway, I have been considering a FUE transplant the last few months and have decided to seek a consultation with Premier Hair in Rathmines in the next few weeks (their reviews seem excellent and I'd rather go bald than fork out for Blackrock!)

My hair loss has occured over the last few years due to the development of scar tissue and folliculitis from poor uninformed scalp psiorasis management, as well as some MPB and a cyst scar at the bottom left of my crown.

As far as I know FUE transplants can be carried out successfully over scar tissue and that the grafts will not be at an added risk of death during shedding, but I'm prepared to be told that I'm not suitable for a transplant.

So if I was suitable for a transplant and the scar tissue was operable, what could I hope for? I have provided 5 images (three pre shower, two post shower) over the last few weeks of my hair, which gives some indication of what I'm working with.

I would like to think I would be able to gain a Norwood 2 with some patchy balding here and there when down to a buzzcut, but I'm really not sure (I'm willing to pay for a high amount of grafts). Any thoughts?

You have great hair, surprised you’re looking for a HT as some people would love to have your hair. That being said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it’s what you see when you look in the mirror that ultimately matters. You look to have good donor and medium/high hair caliber, which makes a huge difference in the end result. If I was you I’d be waiting another few years prior to doing one. I would get going with all the other good stuff you can do for hair loss (medication, shampoo, biotin, derma rolling, etc) and I’d use hair fibres to cover the scar and then have an procedure later if really needed. Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Loniten is also known as oral minoxidil. Much more effective than topical but its a blood pressure medication,my HT surgeon recommended it for me but i can't risk it as theres a history of heart trouble in my family.Also has other side effects like excess body hair.
    It's only available on prescription, can I ask how did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

You have great hair, surprised you’re looking for a HT as some people would love to have your hair. That being said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it’s what you see when you look in the mirror that ultimately matters. You look to have good donor and medium/high hair caliber, which makes a huge difference in the end result. If I was you I’d be waiting another few years prior to doing one. I would get going with all the other good stuff you can do for hair loss (medication, shampoo, biotin, derma rolling, etc) and I’d use hair fibres to cover the scar and then have an procedure later if really needed. Just my two cents.

Thanks for advice.

I guess my main issue is with bald patches throughout the forelock region and also with my stunted hairline, which I would like to get back to a Norwood 2 mature hairline (appropriate for someone nearing 30).

I'm actually completely fine with the crown and I don't know if there are many bald patches in the mid scalp, so I would hope one 4,000 or so graft (FUE or combined) procedure by Dr. Nel and his team would restore the hairline and greatly reduce the bald patches around the front of my scalp to where they would not be unsightly on closer inspection

• Advertisement

Thanks for advice.

I guess my main issue is with bald patches throughout the forelock region and also with my stunted hairline, which I would like to get back to a Norwood 2 mature hairline (appropriate for someone nearing 30).

I'm actually completely fine with the crown and I don't know if there are many bald patches in the mid scalp, so I would hope one 4,000 or so graft (FUE or combined) procedure by Dr. Nel and his team would restore the hairline and greatly reduce the bald patches around the front of my scalp to where they would not be unsightly on closer inspection

Jesus 4,000 grafts! What am I missing in your pictures? There must be patches that those pictures are not showing. Sorry I’m not trying to come across as flippant at all, just trying to understand if there’s a need for that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Jesus 4,000 grafts! What am I missing in your pictures? There must be patches that those pictures are not showing. Sorry I’m not trying to come across as flippant at all, just trying to understand if there’s a need for that amount.

From the photos I’ve seen, 1500 grafts max would be more than enough. Remember - depending on any future native hair loss, you may need grafts in your 40’s and 50’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

From the photos I’ve seen, 1500 grafts max would be more than enough. Remember - depending on any future native hair loss, you may need grafts in your 40’s and 50’s.

Yeah I'm going into the consultation in the mindset of wanting the option for a 2nd transplant in the future, so quite unsure of the recommended graft count, but if Dr. Nel strongly advises a certain figure I'll stick to that figure

Thanks for advice.

I wouldn't be rushing into a HT based on your pics.
    Start on a regime of finesteride and minoxidil and reassess in 12 months.

I say go for it. You can go for a small enough amount of grafts, just get the hairline you want.

Do you take it every day? How long did you see better results after switching from generic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Dr Nel will unlikely do that amount of grafts, in fact i would be shocked if he did, dont go too conservative either, overall im happy but would have liked a denser hairline, as i comb forward it don't make much difference unless its a windy day where a denser hairline would be an advanatage, He said i have like 10000 grafts anyway so if in future i can do it but overall very pleased with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 QC123

Hi there,

I’m looking for advise of the best clinic in Ireland?
    I have been going to treatment with premier hair restoration clinic in Dublin and and now considering FUE with them. They have an estimate quote of €7000 which is the max I’d be looking to spend.

If there any other clinic in Ireland that are similar price with amazing results.

I’ve looked at Dr Nel but seems too expensive.

What about tir na nog clinic, Ailesbury Hair Loss Clinic or any other recommendations?

I’d consider looking aboard if it’s a reliable surgeon/clinic as I’ve heard horror stories in turkey

Dr Cinik in Istanbul. Great man, great service, great end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 QC123

Monokne wrote: »
    Dr Cinik in Istanbul. Great man, great service, great end product.

Why here ahead of HOI or Now Hair Time?

• Advertisement

QC123 wrote: »
    Why here ahead of HOI or Now Hair Time?

I only had one transplant and that's where I went so I can't recommend anywhere else. :D

I know someone who went to HOI and I nearly went there too. He has a very full head of hair but it may be just a tad straighter hairline than I think is ideal.

Have a read back through the thread, it's worth while. There are more unhappy punters who got it done here than abroad. If you are staying here, Dr Nel seems to be your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheGambler15

Hi everyone, been reading the thread a while and must say it’s been very helpful and commend everyone for contributing because it’s been first class by all. I’m in my early 30’s and starting to really properly notice my hair thinning to the point where it’s playing on my confidence a lot and I don’t want to sit around being unhappy when a solution may be possible.

Given the current travelling climate I think I may have to stay in Ireland if I am to get a HT done. I don’t want to spend a fortune though so where would lads recommend? Cinik in Turkey seems the best option overall but travelling is becoming more and more problematic. I’d also like to use the current down time socially to try get it done on the quiet as much as I could possible.

Does anyone have a price on Tir Na Nog Clinic? Also they have some form of a finasteride/minoxidil mix on their site but don’t show where it can be got? Any help appreciated.

I have also had a consultation with the clinic that did my first transplant and they have said that they would now fill in the temples. They said they refused to do this originally as I was not on on finasteride and they were unsure how my hair loss would progress. I understand this now.

Should I go with the more expensive clinic that did my first transplant or a cheaper one like Dr Nel? The positives with the first clinic is that it's close to home, they know my history and did deliver a good result. The negative is that they are very expensive but I can afford it.

What are your opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

So had my 6 month consultation with MHR today. I haven't been happy with the whole experience throughout and today was a confirmation of just how poor it has all been

So I was recommended to get between 3500-4000 hairs in the first place, the original operation was delayed by a month with just 2 days notice which meant I had to take another weeks holidays. Kim then promised me that If any further grafts were needed she would do them free of charge because of the disruption etc.. So i got the proceedure done but i realised straight after the opreration that there wasn't enough grafts put into my crown.

I queried this with Kim straight after the operation and she said that the technician put more hairs on my hairline than my crown because she wanted me to avoid shock loss. I gritted my teeth despite the shoddy excuse and said I'll give it a few months.

So 6 months later my hairline looks decent (if not amazing) but the growth on the crown has been pretty non existent. Pulled Kim up on it today during my check up and she said that the reason not enough hairs were transplanted is because my donor area was weak. This despite being told before the proceedure that my donor area was strong?? She said to come back to her in May for a 10month check up and they'll put more hairs in the crown and she'll "Give me a good price". So despite only 6 months after this proceedure I've given up on it being a success.

I think I'm just going to go to Dr Nel and get a proper and professional opinion on where I stand. Pretty annoyed with myself that I got taken in by MHR and their decent prices and I didn't shop around.

So had my 6 month consultation with MHR today. I haven't been happy with the whole experience throughout and today was a confirmation of just how poor it has all been

So I was recommended to get between 3500-4000 hairs in the first place, the original operation was delayed by a month with just 2 days notice which meant I had to take another weeks holidays. Kim then promised me that If any further grafts were needed she would do them free of charge because of the disruption etc.. So i got the proceedure done but i realised straight after the opreration that there wasn't enough grafts put into my crown.

I queried this with Kim straight after the operation and she said that the technician put more hairs on my hairline than my crown because she wanted me to avoid shock loss. I gritted my teeth despite the shoddy excuse and said I'll give it a few months.

So 6 months later my hairline looks decent (if not amazing) but the growth on the crown has been pretty non existent. Pulled Kim up on it today during my check up and she said that the reason not enough hairs were transplanted is because my donor area was weak. This despite being told before the proceedure that my donor area was strong?? She said to come back to her in May for a 10month check up and they'll put more hairs in the crown and she'll "Give me a good price". So despite only 6 months after this proceedure I've given up on it being a success.

I think I'm just going to go to Dr Nel and get a proper and professional opinion on where I stand. Pretty annoyed with myself that I got taken in by MHR and their decent prices and I didn't shop around.

Sorry that happened to you.I had a few chats on the phone to Kim and I wasnt impressed by her ht knowledge or low rent sales tactics.
    It's not all bad news,as long as they haven't made a mess of your donor its fixable.
    Dr Nel seems ethical from people I know who have dealt with him if you want to stay in Ireland he's probably your best bet.
    If I was you I would go to one of the established HT surgeons in Europe,it won't be cheap but it would be in and around the same price as Dr Nel.
    More than likely you've got one more shot as this.
    Best of luck whatever you decide

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TysonH

Has anyone any experience with Tir Na Nog, have spoken them a few rimes them seem pretty decent and price is reasonable, Dr Kevin seems to do the surgery, jus not alot of reviews and pics, has anyone that has used them on here

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dashman

Lads, looking for bit of advice. having a procedure done with Dr Nel in 2 weeks for 2700 grafts and I'm kinda bricking it. Anyone know what I should expect on the day? Like, will I be comfortable pain wise, the after surgery period and stupid things like should I bring an ipad to watch a bit of Netflix during the procedure?. haha thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ste31

Hi dashman, apologies for being rude but I'm curious of the price Dr. Nel has given you? I'm going for consultation with him in march and I'm worried he's out of my price range. I've had a previous HT in Tukey and its not too bad, the only sore part was getting the initial local anaesthetics and once they have kicked in its pretty painless. its a long oul haul but on the whole its not too bad, more boring than anything really. The first few days can be a pain sleeping kind of upright but after a few days you should feel fine. From what people say on the forum Dr. Nel's method of opening the canals the previous day the recovery time appears to be quicker, a few days and you should be fine. I didn't bring a ipad or anything with me on the day and I would advise to bring something to keep your mind occupied while getting the HT done. I would also advise just to be really careful for the first 10 days as this is the critical time when the transplanted hairs actually bed into your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheGambler15

TysonH wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with Tir Na Nog, have spoken them a few rimes them seem pretty decent and price is reasonable, Dr Kevin seems to do the surgery, jus not alot of reviews and pics, has anyone that has used them on here

Can I ask what price you were given with Tir Na Nog? Also did you see the finasteride/minoxidil mix on their site? Can’t seem to see how we can buy it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 dashman

ste31 wrote: »
    Hi dashman, apologies for being rude but I'm curious of the price Dr. Nel has given you? I'm going for consultation with him in march and I'm worried he's out of my price range. I've had a previous HT in Tukey and its not too bad, the only sore part was getting the initial local anaesthetics and once they have kicked in its pretty painless. its a long oul haul but on the whole its not too bad, more boring than anything really. The first few days can be a pain sleeping kind of upright but after a few days you should feel fine. From what people say on the forum Dr. Nel's method of opening the canals the previous day the recovery time appears to be quicker, a few days and you should be fine. I didn't bring a ipad or anything with me on the day and I would advise to bring something to keep your mind occupied while getting the HT done. I would also advise just to be really careful for the first 10 days as this is the critical time when the transplanted hairs actually bed into your head.
    Hi Ste,
    Your not being rude at all. First of all thanks for the advice, it settled my nerves and now I know what I need to be extremely careful post op.
    Regarding the cost of hair transplant, I was quoted at €4.00 per graft @2750 grafts. I know a lot of money. But i am looking at it as a lifetime investment. I was apprehensive about going to turkey because of the horror stories I have heard(not saying there isn't good surgeons in Turkey, because there is) and also the whole hassle of traveling there and back, plus the aftercare. Something I will say about Dr Nel, during my consultation he took his time with me. I spent over an hour and thirty minutes with the guy and took me through the entire process. He also prescribed Proscar and Loniten to me and didn't force it on me. Just said the decision is mine, which I have taken on board and started. I have so far done my research on him and he seems to be heavily liked on different forums. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Advertisement