Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

mel123 wrote: »
    Currently doing research for the OH who’s really thinking about biting the bullet. Do you mind me asking how much Ailesbury was? Currently waiting on a quote back from Portugal, have one from Cinik too. So hard trying to choose.

As dellboy above said, some places, Ailesbury based their quote on hairs rather than grafts. A bit confusing since nearly all HT forums etc discuss grafts...anyway, I needed 2500 hairs in the hairline/templs and 200-300 in the crown. The cost was €4300

For me personally, with family circumstances, going to Turkey at this present time simply was not an option, as much as i always said that's where i would get mine done. Circumstances changed and Ailesbury was a good fit for me. I also had my initial consult in Cork which for me was a gift

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

mel123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. To be honest cost isn’t the main factor although it def helps of course. Personally (for him) I’d rather someone in Ireland that will give a proper consultation and explain everything in full detail pro’s con’s different options etc. These consults via WhatsApp basing it on a few photos To me is a bit of a risk. But I’ve read most of the thread and there’s people who have successfully gone abroad no issues.

Dr. Nel is in Ireland and well worth a consultation. He will spell it out in terms of what is required. Those whatsapp calls aren’t worth anything. Dr. Nel will take photos and provide a report on your hair, including expecting number of grafts, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Hi Guys, There have been some life changing pics here. My question would be whether it is possible to have a small surgery so that we can keep the operation under wraps. I am NW 4A with good front hairline, but crown and the top very sparse. instead of going for say 2500 grafts on one go, do 1400 grafts and then later (say after couple of years), go for a subsequent operation. I am on propecia, loniten to hold on to what I have.

For example, HBC08 had very good results, but someone who knows him will surely know about the surgery.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115335362&postcount=784

suave.4u wrote: »
    Hi Guys, There have been some life changing pics here. My question would be whether it is possible to have a small surgery so that we can keep the operation under wraps. I am NW 4A with good front hairline, but crown and the top very sparse. instead of going for say 2500 grafts on one go, do 1400 grafts and then later (say after couple of years), go for a subsequent operation. I am on propecia, loniten to hold on to what I have.

For example, HBC08 had very good results, but someone who knows him will surely know about the surgery.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115335362&postcount=784

I sometimes wonder if we give people more credit than they deserve in terms of the amount of time they spend thinking about us. Most people don’t care, the whole thing has become more normalised nowadays with significant numbers of people and celebrities having procedures done. That being said I get that a lot of guys are still very much in fear of others finding out, so some options might be: (a) do it gradually as you say - if you have enough hair at the front then this could be an option. You could also use hair fibres to mask any gaps where necessary. (b) do it all at once - if doing FUE you could then keep shaving it till the hair has all come through (possibly 6 months for some). After 6-8 months of shaving your head people nearest you would probably have forgotten what you looked like and you could then regrow it and say you had been taking finasteride + Rogaine and seen a lot of regrowth (if anyone actually asked of course). If doing FUT then neither a or b would be an option. (c) Own it. Be upfront about it. You might find it quite liberating and give you more confidence.

If people are going to think you had something done then they are likely going to think it regardless of when or how you do it. Most people have to shave their head prior to a procedure, so if you are not typically someone who shaves their head and then all of a sudden there’s more hair a few months later, it won’t take people long to work out. Hence why I say (b) might be a good option if you keep shaving it for first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DaveClarke17

I sometimes wonder if we give people more credit than they deserve in terms of the amount of time they spend thinking about us. Most people don’t care.

I would echo this, people honestly won't care - they have enough going on in their own lives to talk about your hair. It would be a hassle to have to do it twice, why not just get it done once and get it over with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

I would echo this, people honestly won't care - they have enough going on in their own lives to talk about your hair. It would be a hassle to have to do it twice, why not just get it done once and get it over with.

Also agree with this. I went back to work after 10 days, to a male dominated environment where fellas would hammer each other all the time! A few were looking at my head (mainly cause the shampoo the clinic gave me left a purple tinge on my scalp) and i told them what i had done. Everyone was incredibley supportive and were very much "fair play" attutude, which was a plewsant surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ste31

Hi all,

New to the thread, got a transplant in Turkey Dec 2019 and not happy with the results. Hair is patchy and didn't fill out properly, feel like I got scammed tbh. Have consultation with DHI tomorrow in the Beacon. Anybody have any feedback from this place? Finding it hard to see independent reviews on this place. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

ste31 wrote: »
    Hi all,

New to the thread, got a transplant in Turkey Dec 2019 and not happy with the results. Hair is patchy and didn't fill out properly, feel like I got scammed tbh. Have consultation with DHI tomorrow in the Beacon. Anybody have any feedback from this place? Finding it hard to see independent reviews on this place. Thanks

When you say patchy, is that the donor area, recipient area or both? It’s very hard to judge how good an establishment is based on google reviews. But you are doing the right thing by visiting the place first. I’m guessing that you didn’t get the chance to do this in Turkey.

It would be good to see a picture of your hair. As said above, depending on whether it is the donor or recipient area that’s patchy, you might not be a candidate for further work as they may have over harvested and you might not have grafts left. There may be options to use beard hair or even chest hair but keep in mind this is finer hair (lower caliber), ok for using on areas such as the crown but not so much the hairline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

5 months post op with Dr Cinik in Istanbul.

Great service, great price and so far very happy with the result.

EsAln89XcAA7Lgi?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

^ Looks great. Can you post up the before photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 princip

Great looking job alright.

the more I look the more I think I will go with him as well. He doesn't seem to be perfect but he seems very good and It doesn't seem to be the case that if you pay thousands more that you get any better of a result.

Did you go for any of the extras e.g sapphire blades? Cinik doing the opening of the canals? the pain-free anasthetic?

Would also love to see your befores

Hi, Yes you are correct the Turkish consultation was done on watsapp and was told I could fully regain my hairline. Looking back now I don't think I accepted how bad my hair loss was. I don't think I could have regained my hairline with 1 procedure. I will upload pics later when I figure out how to do it. I went to Esthetic hair turkey in Istanbul and it was ok, the usual pick up and hotel package for 1500 all in. The procedure was painful but manageable, they had great reviews but its hard to tell of they are true or fake so bit the bullet and went over anyway. Hair growth was very slow and I regularly communicated with hem and at month 10 I figured it was not going to grow any more. for me the main problem is the hair density is not where I would like it to be. I did get a offer to come back and do the FUE for free or I could opt for the DHI for 800. Due to the current situation its not possible to get over there and I don't think I'm comfortable to back to the same place if I wasn't happy with the results from the first time. I had a consolation with the beacon hair transplant the other day and I have to say I spent a hour in there talking with Justin. He seemed nice and honestly spoke about what my expectation would be from another transplant. he also advised my hair was not over-harvested which was a relief. He seemed decent and honest and he advised what I could expect from another procedure. he advised the cost would be 3500 and there would be apps at 3,6,9 & 12 months and he would guarantee 85-90% of the follicles would set. I asked him about finesteroid and has advised against it, he stated most of the DHT hormones are produced between 18 & 40 and as I'm 37 now he advised that there would no reason that the hair should greatly thin over time, his advice was generally if you have hair at 40 you don't tend to lose it. I did take fin for a while and it didn't effect me too much apart from a lower libido but having read up more on it I don't think I really want to take it. I am curious to know if anyone else has gone for the procedure with Beacon and were they happy with the results. I think this year would a good year to get it done with the reduced amount of time we spend outside of home. I do think I should go for another consultation just to get another opinion, who would you recommend? I am looking for good value for money so the clinic in Blackrock I don't think is good for the average joe.

Here is a pic before the hair transplant.

Here is some pics 13 months post op. You should be able to see that the Density just isn't there.
    I took a pic from a little distance which looks fine but when I move my hair around and take closer pics you can see what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I think it looks great as is, the clinic didn't do so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Here is some pics 13 months post op. You should be able to see that the Density just isn't there.
    I took a pic from a little distance which looks fine but when I move my hair around and take closer pics you can see what I'm talking about.

I think that's a great result. The main thing is that they've framed the grafts in such a way that - even if the density isn't what you'd hoped for - it doesn't look anything like a horse-shoe, temple recession. It's a Norwood 1, minus some of the density. I'd recommend styling your hair with it combed back - to fully take advantage of the temple coverage - and using a little Toppik to fill in any gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Iwantcoffeenai

Is a hair transplant consultation okay to travel for in current restrictions? I'm going to get a second opinion on my hair transplant I had 7 months ago from another clinic. I really want to see if I can get the temples filled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

What are your results like now? I'm 5 months post op and am dissapointed so am considering a top up.

Hi Mate haven't been on this thread in a while apologies about delay in replying.

So It'll be 6 months since I got mine done on the 26th of July and I'm hugely underwhelmed. The hairline has turned out nicely but simply wasn't enough grafts put on the crown.

This was something I noticed immediately after the procedure was done, I emailed Kim (lady who runs the place about it)and she gave me excuse that the surgeon didn't put as many grafts on my crown because she wanted me to avoid shock loss?

So I have my 6 month check up next week, I've had no contact since the day after the operation was done and my last email even remained unreplied to. I'm going to try and look for a partial refund and just go to Dr Nel in a few months.

Yeah maybe I think I was hoping it would look better but looking back in hindsight I probably needed another transplant to get it where I want it to be. I'm sceptical about the Beacon as nobody has any real reviews on boards, Justin seemed genuine but without any reviews it's hard to make a call on the Beacon.I will go for a consultation with Dr nel and see what he says and try to make a informed decision this time. I think if go for a second transplant it needs to be done right as like anyone I only have a finite amount of follicles. I'm just worried he's out of my price range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Yeah maybe I think I was hoping it would look better but looking back in hindsight I probably needed another transplant to get it where I want it to be. I'm sceptical about the Beacon as nobody has any real reviews on boards, Justin seemed genuine but without any reviews it's hard to make a call on the Beacon.I will go for a consultation with Dr nel and see what he says and try to make a informed decision this time. I think if go for a second transplant it needs to be done right as like anyone I only have a finite amount of follicles. I'm just worried he's out of my price range.

What was your rate of loss beforehand? If you were still losing a lot of hair, his comments advising against a DHT inhibitor would seem odd. If you aren't already, throw minoxidil in to your routine - you already have good coverage and it really helps increase density, it would be ideal for you. If safe to do so, look in to microneedling (e.g. Dermapen, Derma Stamp) - this isn't always possible until you have fully recovered from the hair transplant.

I wouldn't feel bad about it at the end of the day, you bit the bullet and it looks a lot better than it would have if you didn't get the HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

Hi everyone I think this is the main hair transplant thread so I'm posting here.

Anyway, I have been considering a FUE transplant the last few months and have decided to seek a consultation with Premier Hair in Rathmines in the next few weeks (their reviews seem excellent and I'd rather go bald than fork out for Blackrock!)

My hair loss has occured over the last few years due to the development of scar tissue and folliculitis from poor uninformed scalp psiorasis management, as well as some MPB and a cyst scar at the bottom left of my crown.

As far as I know FUE transplants can be carried out successfully over scar tissue and that the grafts will not be at an added risk of death during shedding, but I'm prepared to be told that I'm not suitable for a transplant.

So if I was suitable for a transplant and the scar tissue was operable, what could I hope for? I have provided 5 images (three pre shower, two post shower) over the last few weeks of my hair, which gives some indication of what I'm working with.

I would like to think I would be able to gain a Norwood 2 with some patchy balding here and there when down to a buzzcut, but I'm really not sure (I'm willing to pay for a high amount of grafts). Any thoughts?

Hi everyone I think this is the main hair transplant thread so I'm posting here.

Anyway, I have been considering a FUE transplant the last few months and have decided to seek a consultation with Premier Hair in Rathmines in the next few weeks (their reviews seem excellent and I'd rather go bald than fork out for Blackrock!)

My hair loss has occured over the last few years due to the development of scar tissue and folliculitis from poor uninformed scalp psiorasis management, as well as some MPB and a cyst scar at the bottom left of my crown.

As far as I know FUE transplants can be carried out successfully over scar tissue and that the grafts will not be at an added risk of death during shedding, but I'm prepared to be told that I'm not suitable for a transplant.

So if I was suitable for a transplant and the scar tissue was operable, what could I hope for? I have provided 5 images (three pre shower, two post shower) over the last few weeks of my hair, which gives some indication of what I'm working with.

I would like to think I would be able to gain a Norwood 2 with some patchy balding here and there when down to a buzzcut, but I'm really not sure (I'm willing to pay for a high amount of grafts). Any thoughts?

In terms of donor area, a transplant should be a slam dunk. But the transplant may be complicated by the issues you’ve highlighted. You will need an honest and skillful hair transplant surgeon. The best available. I would check out reputable consultants in the hair transplant industry rather than clinics.

In terms of donor area, a transplant should be a slam dunk. But the transplant may be complicated by the issues you’ve highlighted. You will need an honest and skillful hair transplant surgeon. The best available. I would check out reputable consultants in the hair transplant industry rather than clinics.

I get the need for a reputable consultant but price is a big issue for me and I'm unwilling to travel so unsure of my options, as Ireland certainly ain't the cheapest country for a HT

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Go to Dr. Nel for a consultation. I know of someone who went to him for a consultation with a view to getting a transplant and it turned out he had an un-diagnosed underlying scalp condition that meant he would have been completely unsuitable for a transplant. Nel told him honestly rather than just take his money.

You dont have to go to Nel for the transplant if he's to expensive, but he'll give you a completely honest diagnosis of your scalp and suitability for a transplant if you have any doubts about anywhere else

I get the need for a reputable consultant but price is a big issue for me and I'm unwilling to travel so unsure of my options, as Ireland certainly ain't the cheapest country for a HT

I understand the aversion to travel. But that narrows your focus which makes choosing easier. Perhaps you might need to focus on a more long term plan. If money is an issue (it is for a lot of us) then you need to prioritize your spending and save. The other option is financing through flexi fi. They provide finance for a couple of hair transplant clinics.
    When your hair is dry, there is no noticeable balding from the photo you shared.
    Using regaine foam is a good start, this will slow down hair loss. Finasteride is another option to maintain density but side effects can happen.
    It really is important that you get the best advice and a consultation is going to cost €0-€300. Aesthetically, Your hair is in decent shape as is.
    I have been to Dr Nel and I have no complaints. He is hands on and runs his own practice. He will give you an honest appraisal and tell you what he can and can’t do.

Rikand wrote: »
    Go to Dr. Nel for a consultation. I know of someone who went to him for a consultation with a view to getting a transplant and it turned out he had an un-diagnosed underlying scalp condition that meant he would have been completely unsuitable for a transplant. Nel told him honestly rather than just take his money.

You dont have to go to Nel for the transplant if he's to expensive, but he'll give you a completely honest diagnosis of your scalp and suitability for a transplant if you have any doubts about anywhere else

Thank you my man for recommending Dr.Nel for me.

I have since looked him up and will be booking a consultation to speak with him over this potentially tricky procedure and thankfully his prices both low and high end, are very favorable for me.

I would still recommend Premier Hair as an option for hair transplant surgery, but in my case I need the very best Ireland has to offer if the procedure is to go ahead.

I now am much more confident heading into my consultation and will fully trust in the words of Dr. Nel

Hi, my hair loss was slow over a 10-15 year period looking back over old pictures, its just receded further over the years. I am using minoxidil but lost faith in it and only using it the odd time really. ye I'm ok with the HT, it defo looks better than b4 but overall I was hoping for more density. I will go to Dr. Nel and see what he says. all of the other HT clinics have had some form of bad reviews so it seems he is the only reputable clinic in Ireland as far as I can gather. The next app free with Dr. Nel is the end of march which is quite a long time but hopefully its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

For anyone interested Siya Hair clinic do 4000 grafts for 2199 including flights and accommodation in turkey

http://siyahairclinic.ie/free-evaluation-cost/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

^ Looks great. Can you post up the before photo?

Sorry hadn't checked thread in ages.

It was just to move the hairline forward as it had receded. Maybe an inch either side and then moved the middle forward a cm or two, plus thickened up the whole area.

Before and after below.

I went to Dr Cinik in Istanbul. Really happy.

EsrIQHnXEAU8H_R?format=png&name=small
    EsAln89XcAA7Lgi?format=jpg&name=small

Advertisement