Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

HBC08 wrote: »
    Sorry that happened to you.I had a few chats on the phone to Kim and I wasnt impressed by her ht knowledge or low rent sales tactics.
    It's not all bad news,as long as they haven't made a mess of your donor its fixable.
    Dr Nel seems ethical from people I know who have dealt with him if you want to stay in Ireland he's probably your best bet.
    If I was you I would go to one of the established HT surgeons in Europe,it won't be cheap but it would be in and around the same price as Dr Nel.
    More than likely you've got one more shot as this.
    Best of luck whatever you decide

Yeah very frustrating but I'll live and learn.

Consultation booked for Dr Nel in April, he must be pretty busy as that was the earliest possible appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Does anybody know if doctor appointments are over the phone only during these times?? Looking to get a prescription for hair loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Iwantcoffeenai

For my second transplant I am in 2 minds about putting any grafts in the crown. Will I be wasting grafts if I do? It does not look too bad. I am 7 months on finasteride so it could even thicken up a little bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Does anybody know if doctor appointments are over the phone only during these times?? Looking to get a prescription for hair loss.

You can do it online. Have done so before:

https://www.webdoctor.ie/pages/hair-loss-finasteride

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Monokne wrote: »
    You can do it online. Have done so before:

https://www.webdoctor.ie/pages/hair-loss-finasteride

Why do they specify it is so important that women do not touch the tablet??

• Advertisement

Didn't spot that part. Do women take this drug?

Didn't spot that part. Do women take this drug?

Don’t think so - it was just so odd - you didn’t even have to follow a link or dig for it - it just said it was really important that women didn’t touch the tablets. Not pets or children - just a specification against women. Wierd.

How does the HT process compare to the pain of getting an injection at the dentists?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

How does the HT process compare to the pain of getting an injection at the dentists?

I found the injection for the hair transplant to be worse, but there was absolutely no discomfort afterwards.

For my second transplant I am in 2 minds about putting any grafts in the crown. Will I be wasting grafts if I do? It does not look too bad. I am 7 months on finasteride so it could even thicken up a little bit more.

Jaysis, your crown is grand!

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »
    I found the injection for the hair transplant to be worse, but there was absolutely no discomfort afterwards.

I got a numbing cream on before the injection. Thank f**k as I don't know if I'd have been too keen on it! One guy who was there getting it done told me it was his second time as he'd walked out the previous time, unable to take the pain of the injections :eek:

I got a numbing cream on before the injection. Thank f**k as I don't know if I'd have been too keen on it! One guy who was there getting it done told me it was his second time as he'd walked out the previous time, unable to take the pain of the injections :eek:

Well thats a bit extreme lol. It's sore, but its not walk out of the clinic sore. Literally within 30 seconds you wont feel a thing. You'll know they're doing something, but you feel no pain

I think different people experience different sensations from the same thing.

For instance someone above mentioned the pain of getting injected in your gums by a dentist. Never bothered me in the slightest and I have a low pain threshold!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

The pain of getting my cyst removed was extremely intense and the worst pain I've ever felt.

I can take any pain below that threshold and would assume putting someone into/on your body cannot hurt as much as taking something out of/off your body

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Don’t think so - it was just so odd - you didn’t even have to follow a link or dig for it - it just said it was really important that women didn’t touch the tablets. Not pets or children - just a specification against women. Wierd.

Women can handle or use Finasteride fine.

It is pregnant women, or women who plan to become pregnant, who have to avoid it.

Why do they specify it is so important that women do not touch the tablet??
    It can cause birth defects in pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Paul000111

So had my 6 month consultation with MHR today. I haven't been happy with the whole experience throughout and today was a confirmation of just how poor it has all been

So I was recommended to get between 3500-4000 hairs in the first place, the original operation was delayed by a month with just 2 days notice which meant I had to take another weeks holidays. Kim then promised me that If any further grafts were needed she would do them free of charge because of the disruption etc.. So i got the proceedure done but i realised straight after the opreration that there wasn't enough grafts put into my crown.

I queried this with Kim straight after the operation and she said that the technician put more hairs on my hairline than my crown because she wanted me to avoid shock loss. I gritted my teeth despite the shoddy excuse and said I'll give it a few months.

So 6 months later my hairline looks decent (if not amazing) but the growth on the crown has been pretty non existent. Pulled Kim up on it today during my check up and she said that the reason not enough hairs were transplanted is because my donor area was weak. This despite being told before the proceedure that my donor area was strong?? She said to come back to her in May for a 10month check up and they'll put more hairs in the crown and she'll "Give me a good price". So despite only 6 months after this proceedure I've given up on it being a success.

I think I'm just going to go to Dr Nel and get a proper and professional opinion on where I stand. Pretty annoyed with myself that I got taken in by MHR and their decent prices and I didn't shop around.

Hi mate, it’s a shame you didn’t get what you expected from your HT with MHR, although the pics your posted look very good and the patch in the crown is practically invisible.
    I would agree with your comments that Kim was less than professional. When I visited, she was smoking in her office and the room stank, she then spent the first 30 minutes telling me how she had fallen out with the guy who runs the Manchester branch of MHR and how they were splitting. I asked her for pictures of Irish guys who had the op with them, but she kept referring me back to some English male model that came over from the UK (years before hand ). In the end, it was the price that put me off, she was 2K between 2000 and 2500 grafts, this was less than Turkey, and a fraction of what Blackrock hair restoration quoted me.
    In the end I went with Ailesbury, 5K for 2500 hairs. I had it done at the beginning of November, so I’m just going into my 4th month. I had my temples filled and crown bulked out, so it’s starting to take effect, I should see more at the end of this month.
    I can’t fault Ailesbury, they were great leading up to and on the day of the op. The needles a few people spoke of are pretty grim, after the 4th or 5th you stop feeling them, but the first few feel like your head has been caught by a fishing line hook . The Valium the give you helps.
    I was back in work. 5 days later, no comments from people and in second week you could not even tell.
    Best of luck to anyone thinking of having one, for me, it was best decision ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Paul000111 wrote: »
    Hi mate, it’s a shame you didn’t get what you expected from your HT with MHR, although the pics your posted look very good and the patch in the crown is practically invisible.
    I would agree with your comments that Kim was less than professional. When I visited, she was smoking in her office and the room stank, she then spent the first 30 minutes telling me how she had fallen out with the guy who runs the Manchester branch of MHR and how they were splitting. I asked her for pictures of Irish guys who had the op with them, but she kept referring me back to some English male model that came over from the UK (years before hand ). In the end, it was the price that put me off, she was 2K between 2000 and 2500 grafts, this was less than Turkey, and a fraction of what Blackrock hair restoration quoted me.
    In the end I went with Ailesbury, 5K for 2500 hairs. I had it done at the beginning of November, so I’m just going into my 4th month. I had my temples filled and crown bulked out, so it’s starting to take effect, I should see more at the end of this month.
    I can’t fault Ailesbury, they were great leading up to and on the day of the op. The needles a few people spoke of are pretty grim, after the 4th or 5th you stop feeling them, but the first few feel like your head has been caught by a fishing line hook . The Valium the give you helps.
    I was back in work. 5 days later, no comments from people and in second week you could not even tell.
    Best of luck to anyone thinking of having one, for me, it was best decision ever.

That's approximately €5 per graft.
    You can get some of the best surgeons in the world for that.
    Ailesbury clinic couldn't show me any before or after except one guy they had a video of.He had a terrible ht and this was what they were showing people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Ailesbury clinic couldn't show me any before or after except one guy they had a video of.He had a terrible ht and this was what they were showing people?

I thought the same - a guy from my hometown was in their marketing material and it honestly didn't look great, and this is what they were showcasing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Paul000111

Yeah it was more expensive, but for me it was all relative. I didn’t have to fly abroad, I left my house in the morning and was back in afternoon, no dreaded flight the day after operation.
    What I paid was a fraction of what blackrock quoted me for same job.
    I’ll post some pics at the end of this month as I’ll be end of month 4 so will have something better to show.
    Iv said in my previous posts that I would have gone to Turkey if we were not in lock down, but due to lock down it simply wasn’t possible even if I wanted to travel. The irony is, the lock down escalated my desire to have the Transplant, I was working from home nearly full time, seeing people less and less so it was the perfect time to do it.
    Each to their own I guess, I can’t fault Ailesbury, plus they offer a full review and top up after 10 months if your not happy, so I will absolutely cash that Cheque if it’s needed after 10 months.

• Advertisement

Paul000111 wrote: »
    Yeah it was more expensive, but for me it was all relative. I didn’t have to fly abroad, I left my house in the morning and was back in afternoon, no dreaded flight the day after operation.
    What I paid was a fraction of what blackrock quoted me for same job.
    I’ll post some pics at the end of this month as I’ll be end of month 4 so will have something better to show.
    Iv said in my previous posts that I would have gone to Turkey if we were not in lock down, but due to lock down it simply wasn’t possible even if I wanted to travel. The irony is, the lock down escalated my desire to have the Transplant, I was working from home nearly full time, seeing people less and less so it was the perfect time to do it.
    Each to their own I guess, I can’t fault Ailesbury, plus they offer a full review and top up after 10 months if your not happy, so I will absolutely cash that Cheque if it’s needed after 10 months.

A comparison to Blackrock is as disingenuous as talking in hairs instead of grafts.
    I researched the subject for 2 years and of all the places I got qoutes from Blackrock was the most expensive anywhere in the world ,€10 a graft.Not in the range of the vast majority of people,however they are a decent clinic results wise,nowhere near top tier but decent.
    Ailesbury clinic have charged you €5 per graft,you could get most of the top 10 HT surgeons in the world for that price.Do you know the credentials of your doctor? (It's not a HT surgeon in the Ailesbury)
    The point about not traveling abroad will appeal to some understandably but not for an unproven clinic at absolute top tier surgeon prices,that's mental.
    On your point about the 10 month review,so if youre not happy they offer a top up? Sounds good but let's look at the reality,you're not happy with the job they did so you let them have another go and use up more precious grafts,what if they mess it up again?
    Having said all that I hope your HT works out and you're happy, I'm just passing on my own experiences and people can make up their own minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I was expecting bad pain, and it was very sore when they injected my head and neck (took hair as donor there). They also took from my chest and the pain there was off the scale. Worse pain I've ever felt in my life on the chest area and far worse than the head and neck injections. I'll post soon about overall experience but get the painless injections if you can.

A comparison to Blackrock is as disingenuous as talking in hairs instead of grafts.
    I researched the subject for 2 years and of all the places I got qoutes from Blackrock was the most expensive anywhere in the world ,€10 a graft.Not in the range of the vast majority of people,however they are a decent clinic results wise,nowhere near top tier but decent.
    Ailesbury clinic have charged you €5 per graft,you could get most of the top 10 HT surgeons in the world for that price.Do you know the credentials of your doctor? (It's not a HT surgeon in the Ailesbury)
    The point about not traveling abroad will appeal to some understandably but not for an unproven clinic at absolute top tier surgeon prices,that's mental.
    On your point about the 10 month review,so if youre not happy they offer a top up? Sounds good but let's look at the reality,you're not happy with the job they did so you let them have another go and use up more precious grafts,what if they mess it up again?
    Having said all that I hope your HT works out and you're happy, I'm just passing on my own experiences and people can make up their own minds.

It's alarming to me how many people have had poor experiences on this thread getting it in Ireland, yet there's still more scepticism about getting them done abroad. Other than Dr Nel, who seems to have great reviews across the board, there's no one in this country who I'd go with, particularly at substantially higher cost than I could get it done in another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

I researched the subject for 2 years (It's not a HT surgeon in the Ailesbury)

Where are you getting this information from and what do you mean by unproven ?
    There are only a few hair clinics in Ireland and I think Paul went to Ailesbury Hair Clinic. Not The Ailesbury. At least get the name right if you are talking about the same place.

20/20 wrote: »
    Where are you getting this information from and what do you mean by unproven ?
    There are only a few hair clinics in Ireland and I think Paul went to Ailesbury Hair Clinic. Not The Ailesbury. At least get the name right if you are talking about the same place.

I went for a consultation with them.

Unproven is being a bit generous, any work I've seen from them was terrible (and there's the ones they use to attract clients,imagine what the other ones look like)
    Throw in the fact they are charging more than some of the top surgeons in the world and it's not a great option is it?

It's alarming to me how many people have had poor experiences on this thread getting it in Ireland, yet there's still more scepticism about getting them done abroad. Other than Dr Nel, who seems to have great reviews across the board, there's no one in this country who I'd go with, particularly at substantially higher cost than I could get it done in another country.

If I had to go to someone in Ireland I'd go to Dr Nel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Interesting thread. If you could pick any surgeon in the world (lets say you win a free hair transplant) who would you pick?

And if you had to chose between on of these three?
    - Bisanga
    - Koray Erdogan
    - Cinik

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

I went for a consultation with them.

Are you sure it was the same clinic as Paul ?
    You do seem to state a lot of information as fact just because you personally didnt like them.

[If I had to go to someone in Ireland I'd go to Dr Nel.] You do not have to go to anybody anywhere. Its your vanity that made you get a procedure done in the first place. There is a lot more to life then having a full head of hair, and having read some of your comments you may be spending to many years researching and trying different methods. Your hair looks good now and its a big change from what you had.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Let's not derail the thread with petty back and forth...

• Advertisement

TripleAce wrote: »
    Interesting thread. If you could pick any surgeon in the world (lets say you win a free hair transplant) who would you pick?

And if you had to chose between on of these three?
    - Bisanga
    - Koray Erdogan
    - Cinik

Obviously everything I post here is just my opinion
    Those 3 you have chosen would fall into 3 different categories
    Top tier Bisanga
    2nd tier Erdrogan
    3rd tier Cinik

This would be reflected in their prices too
    Bisanga approximately €4-5 per graft
    Erdogan approximately €1.25 per graft (from memory,i could be a bit out on that)
    Cinik under €3k unlimited grafts.

I went to Bisanga and he's recognised as one of the best HT surgeons in the world,I'd recommend him.
    Erdogan was doing very well a few years ago but quality seems to have gone downhill the last few years,opened a bigger clinic as I understand it.There lots of info about him on the more detailed forums.
    Cinic is a hair mill,you might see the Dr to draw your hairline,the rest is techs.I know some people whos ht he was quite involved in and others who didn't see him at all.Having said that it's one of the better hair mills and I've seen lots of decent results from there.At that price point they are a safe enough bet.

To answer original question if I had a free HT and price was no issue I would go to Hassan and Wong in Canada,they're the gold standard.

Hope that helps,again just my take so as not to confuse anybody.

Advertisement