Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Iwantcoffeenai

Monokne wrote: »
    Disappointed in what sense? The hairline? The thickness?

They refused to fill in temples so still have receded hairline look. I also wouldn't have minded some grafts in the crown but they refused to do that too. I am on finasteride and Regaine so that should help keep the hair I do have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Out of curiousity, if they didn't do your temple or your crown, where did they put the hair?

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    5 months is way too early to have a result, wait until at least 10 before making a judgement.

Agree broadly - but he should be able to see and judge the actual hairline itself clearly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Agree broadly - but he should be able to see and judge the actual hairline itself clearly enough.

after 5 months i had nothing noticeable, it was 8+ before i really thickened up, all individuals are different however, like op here had great results at 5 months.

Out of curiousity, if they didn't do your temple or your crown, where did they put the hair?

They increased the size of my forelock considerably without going all the way to the temples.

• Advertisement

Yeah I feel like I can judge the hairline at this stage. It has grown very quickly. I think the Minoxidil has increased the rate it has grown in.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    5 months is way too early to have a result, wait until at least 10 before making a judgement.

I can see the way the hairline in growing in though that's the thing. I understand it will thicken up more but it will still be the same shape.

They increased the size of my forelock considerably without going all the way to the temples.

Strange. Was that agreed before you went in?

I found with my transplant, the consultation was relatively vague, but once he actually drew the hairline on, the day of the procedure, and I could see what he planned, I had my chance to weigh in. He had not brought my hairline much further forward and as I was getting a small job to begin with I pushed back. In the end he only moved it a little bit and to be fair, I feel he was right when I look at how it's growing in.

But I just find it curious as I feel like if they were doing the job they should have been aware before you were lying on the table of what you were after. Sorry to hear it's not gone as you planned.

Strange. Was that agreed before you went in?

I found with my transplant, the consultation was relatively vague, but once he actually drew the hairline on, the day of the procedure, and I could see what he planned, I had my chance to weigh in. He had not brought my hairline much further forward and as I was getting a small job to begin with I pushed back. In the end he only moved it a little bit and to be fair, I feel he was right when I look at how it's growing in.

But I just find it curious as I feel like if they were doing the job they should have been aware before you were lying on the table of what you were after. Sorry to hear it's not gone as you planned.

I trusted what they were doing and I did question it but they would not budge. It's hard to know what you are doing as noone really openly talks about hair transplants I guess it will be a small job just to touch up the temples but it's frustrating. I have booked a consultation next month with another clinic to get a second opinion.

Feel free to post a pic of the hairline so you can get others opinions - it may not be as bad as you perceive it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

I didn't think that covered elective cosmetic procedures?

Edit:

"7.10. Hair restoration
    Hair transplant treatment for androgenetic alopecia, (known as female and male
    pattern baldness), is considered cosmetic in nature, (see Paragraph 7.9), and is not
    regarded as the provision of "health care". Accordingly, tax relief is not due in
    respect of expenditure incurred for hair transplant treatment in such cases.
    However, other forms of alopecia, such as scarring alopecia, are different from
    androgenetic alopecia and must be considered separately. Scarring alopecia, for
    example, arises because of inflammation or infection of the hair follicles, which
    results in hair loss. Where ailments such as scarring alopecia are treated with
    medications to heal the scarring, tax relief can be allowed for the expenses incurred
    for the medications and the services of a medical practitioner. Hair transplant
    treatment for scarring alopecia, may also qualify as the provision of health care, if
    it can be shown that the transplant treatment was not cosmetic and was undertaken
    for the treatment of a congenital abnormality, a personal injury or a disfiguring"

Thank You!

That answers it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

They refused to fill in temples so still have receded hairline look. I also wouldn't have minded some grafts in the crown but they refused to do that too. I am on finasteride and Regaine so that should help keep the hair I do have.

If you have a pic throw it up on here or pm,youll get honest opinions.
    Did you not discuss temples and crown before sitting in the chair?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

I must be missing something when it comes to HOI. I hear other people say their results are great and I’m in shock. Not sure what the criteria is for judging a hair transplant these days but I would take the view that a natural looking hairline, one that you cannot tell has been reconstructed, is the most sought after.

With that being said, I wouldn’t be going to Turkey. For €2.50 a graft you can get world renowned surgeons such as Dr Bruno in Portugal. If I was going to Turkey, maybe I’d do HCL but he is same price as Bruno. Just my two cents.

HBC08 wrote: »
    If you have a pic throw it up on here or pm,youll get honest opinions.
    Did you not discuss temples and crown before sitting in the chair?

Here you go.

To be fair it is not particularly high. Just a few cm away from where you'd want it. I can understand that irritating you.

I am so baffled they wouldn't do it. What does your age have to do with it? Really strange.

Here you go.

Looks good to me,very similar to my own!
    Very important to get an age appropriate hair line (I dont know what age you are btw)
    You can always have it lowered but i wouldn't mess with it,looks like tidy work also.Who did it? Apologies if this has been asked before

To be fair it is not particularly high. Just a few cm away from where you'd want it. I can understand that irritating you.

I am so baffled they wouldn't do it. What does your age have to do with it? Really strange.

Their reasoning is that my temples may recede further in the future. I started finasteride 6 months ago so this should help to stop me losing anymore hair.

Their reasoning is that my temples may recede further in the future.

But that is possible whether you are 32 or 42 :confused:

It looks grand though.

Their reasoning is that my temples may recede further in the future. I started finasteride 6 months ago so this should help to stop me losing anymore hair.

That's not a valid reason on their part.
    Who did you go with?

I believe he said MHR?

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    Looks good to me,very similar to my own!
    Very important to get an age appropriate hair line (I dont know what age you are btw)
    You can always have it lowered but i wouldn't mess with it,looks like tidy work also.Who did it? Apologies if this has been asked before

I'm 31. To be fair it does seem a tidy job but the only thing that annoys me is the gap at the temples. It's hard to find the right way to "hide" them when styling. I don't think it would be a big job filling them in. Don't get why they didn't even fill them in a little bit.

What is your donor area like? You need to consider the impact of a second HT on your remaining donor area, especially if you are young.

What is your donor area like? You need to consider the impact of a second HT on your remaining donor area, especially if you are young.

They took 1600 grafts from it. I'm told average person has about 5000 to use. I'm on finasteride and Regaine.

If you do go abroad for your top up, Cinik is your man.

If you do go abroad for your top up, Cinik is your man.

How many grafts do you think it would take? Do you think I'm maybe am just being too much of a perfectionist?

I don't want to name clinic by the way i got my procedure done sorry.

How many grafts do you think it would take? Do you think I'm maybe am just being too much of a perfectionist?

I don't want to name clinic by the way i got my procedure done sorry.

My job was solely to improve my temples and I'm not much older (36) so while you might be a perfectionist, I can't really judge you on that!

I had 2300 grafts. I wouldn't say you'd need more than 1200 - 1500 for such a small job. I was a bit further back than that.

My job was solely to improve my temples and I'm not much older (36) so while you might be a perfectionist, I can't really judge you on that!

I had 2300 grafts. I wouldn't say you'd need more than 1200 - 1500 for such a small job. I was a bit further back than that.

I argued with them to fill in the temples but they wouldn't budge. There's no doubt there is going to be a massive improvement in my hair and thats only 5 months of growth. Are you on finasteride? I'm on it 6 months and I think it has improved my crown slightly.

Your hair looks good man. But I know when you pictured it looking like X and it looks like Y that must be a frustration!

I am on finasteride yeah. Just a preventative measure really. Hope it's doing something :)

Be careful when estimating grafts. Someone with low caliber hair (or what most people call thin hair) and those with straight hair require a lot more than someone with thick hair caliber and curly/waved hair.

The biggest mistake people make on the hair transplant road is seeing someone else who got X amount of grafts and assuming they will get same result with same amount of grafts. Every situation is unique and I wouldn’t be relying on someone’s estimate online who has seen one photo with your hair pulled back.

• Advertisement

From Dr. Nel’s webpage:

From this example it is clear that a small change in hair follicle radius, creates a large change in caliber. We have calculated in hair restoration that if the caliber of the hair shaft changes with more than 10 microns, there is a 36% volume effect. The average persons’ hair shaft caliber is around 68-70 microns. If for example the caliber goes down to 58 microns, then literally 36% of the persons’ hair is not visible, although all the hair shafts are still there. This happens because the total hair shaft volume has gone down. So this person has lost hair volume.

A relatively straight hair shaft or straight and short hair shaft does not provide much scalp surface cover. You will need many of those types of hair shafts to create any density at all and it will essentially be ineffective in the end.

https://www.hair-skin-wellness.com/androgenetic-alopecia-causes/

Advertisement