Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikeoc85

Monokne wrote: »
    Yeah it wasn't that bad, I just wanted to move the hairline forward. I basically wanted the Jurgen Klopp job :D

Are you happy with it? Did you consider the unshaven ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

mikeoc85 wrote: »
    Are you happy with it? Did you consider the unshaven ?

Yeah I am delighted. Especially now as it is beginning to grow in. :cool: It's exactly what I was after and the cost & inconvenience were minimal :)

And no, I didn't consider not shaving. I know some people believe you can do it and no-one will notice, but I firmly believe that people can readily see you've had it done so I wasn't arsed hiding it. I just think it would have created an element of shame or embarrassment around it that I didn't need!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I shaved my head a few days ago and I don't have the frame for it. Very grandad which is not good for someone in early 30's.

I've booked Dr. Cinik as a result for Christmas.

In a way, by shaving the head gave me the push I needed to sort this.

Great news man. Probably best keeping it short for now so it's not a shock to the system after the op. I went to Doc Cinik in August so anything you may need to know just ask or shoot me a PM.

I have just 1 question for now. The rep on WhatsApp told me not to shave before the operation but they do blade 0 all over anyway on the day right? Or is it like a blade 1?

My wife was trying to get me grow out for 3 weeks just in case as I recently started doing blade 0 all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Jersey Puller

I have just 1 question for now. The rep on WhatsApp told me not to shave before the operation but they do blade 0 all over anyway on the day right? Or is it like a blade 1?

My wife was trying to get me grow out for 3 weeks just in case as I recently started doing blade 0 all over.

Ye you should grow it out before procedure as it gives the Doc a better view to establish your hair thinning/loss in person . They will then raw blade it on the day. Best of luck. I got it done in April 2019 . Really enjoyed the process and it was life changing . I know that sounds extreme but I found it so worthwhile .

This is what they did:
    EoAaI1qW4As3DkF?format=png&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Can I ask for someone's opinion on the following? I had the operation done a couple of months ago now. Well actually, it was the second of two operations with a third density procedure to come in 8 months time.
    As part of the after care, I was given a small bottle of hair loss tonic to be used a few months after the operation. The bottle is a 30ml bottle, which is small enough. You are only supposed to use a few drops everyday, which is fine, but I know that before too long I will have used this bottle fully.

Does anybody have experience with using REGAINE or some other similar product following their operation? I am considering buying a course of Regaine maybe the one that you can get online for €69 or so. Does anybody think that this is worthwhile or a good idea? I know that it contains minoxidil. I would be grateful to hear anyones opinions on this. I just think like having spent nearly €9,000 on having my hair done, I don't mind spending a bit more for the maintenance of it to stop the hair that might otherwise fall out in the future from doing so.

I have keenly followed this thread ever since I discovered it and I have probably already read the whole thing from beginning to end twice if I'm honest and, although I have seen the pros and cons of finasteride discussed at length, and I think I am fairly well aware of the potential side effects as against the potential gains of using that product, I don't recall reading somebody who has previously had the operation done using REGAINE thereafter or some other such equivalent product, but not finasteride.

Would it be fair to say that users of Finasteride would regard products such as Regain as a bit pointless as it is not really very strong or something?

Hunchback wrote: »
    Can I ask for someone's opinion on the following? I had the operation done a couple of months ago now. Well actually, it was the second of two operations with a third density procedure to come in 8 months time.
    As part of the after care, I was given a small bottle of hair loss tonic to be used a few months after the operation. The bottle is a 30ml bottle, which is small enough. You are only supposed to use a few drops everyday, which is fine, but I know that before too long I will have used this bottle fully.

Does anybody have experience with using REGAINE or some other similar product following their operation? I am considering buying a course of Regaine maybe the one that you can get online for €69 or so. Does anybody think that this is worthwhile or a good idea? I know that it contains minoxidil. I would be grateful to hear anyones opinions on this. I just think like having spent nearly €9,000 on having my hair done, I don't mind spending a bit more for the maintenance of it to stop the hair that might otherwise fall out in the future from doing so.

I have keenly followed this thread ever since I discovered it and I have probably already read the whole thing from beginning to end twice if I'm honest and, although I have seen the pros and cons of finasteride discussed at length, and I think I am fairly well aware of the potential side effects as against the potential gains of using that product, I don't recall reading somebody who has previously had the operation done using REGAINE thereafter or some other such equivalent product, but not finasteride.

Would it be fair to say that users of Finasteride would regard products such as Regain as a bit pointless as it is not really very strong or something?

by the way I was also thinking of purchasing a batch of saw palmetto from the health shop or from a chemist or wherever I can get it, to be used once the saw palmetto dht inhibitor tablets that I was given from the clinic are totally finished. So, I was going to use that combination – dht inhibitors as well as a course of Regaine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

by the way I was also thinking of purchasing a batch of saw palmetto from the health shop or from a chemist or wherever I can get it, to be used once the saw palmetto dht inhibitor tablets that I was given from the clinic are totally finished. So, I was going to use that combination – dht inhibitors as well as a course of Regaine

Could your clinic/doctor not provide/sell you
    more? I’d assume their aftercare and interest i your success would extend to that?

• Advertisement

I think if you're already taking finasteride, pretty much anything is redundant if you trust that fin is doing the job. I wouldn't advise against it by any means though. For me it just wouldn't be worth spending the money as I reckon I'm covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Minoxidil and microneedling will help improve density, at least for a few years, but if you start taking it, you cannot stop taking it or you will shed a bucket load of hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Minoxidil and microneedling will help improve density, at least for a few years, but if you start taking it, you cannot stop taking it or you will shed a bucket load of hair.

I’ve used regaine since 2004. All it does is slow down hair loss. But it does help. As does micro needling. The important thing to remember is that once hair is implanted, it’s their for life provided it was taken from an area that is programmed that way. Finasteride will improve density. What you don’t want to happen is for the native hair to disappear (it may happen anyway even using regaine and micro needling) and be left with lower density in native areas or even bald patches outside the transplanted areas.
    To be honest - and I can only infer this from what you’ve written, the aftercare you’re receiving is not great if they’re not explaining the options or even offering to prescribe what you need. But you’re in a good spot because it’s soon after the transplant so now is a good time to start a regimen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Minoxidil and finesteride do completely different things.Ideally you should use both for optimum results but many people use only one or none for many different reasons.
    I've used Minoxidil since 3 weeks after op and found it really helped, don't take finesteride anymore but will start on it again when the time is right.
    In my opinion Saw Palmetta isn't much good but i take it anyway on the off chance that it does something.I take it as a supplement also containing bioten,zinc and other stuff that's good for your hair,it's called Expecia.
    There's a company based in kerry that has good value for Rogaine €50 for 3 months

HBC08 wrote: »
    Minoxidil and finesteride do completely different things.Ideally you should use both for optimum results but many people use only one or none for many different reasons.
    I've used Minoxidil since 3 weeks after op and found it really helped, don't take finesteride anymore but will start on it again when the time is right.
    In my opinion Saw Palmetta isn't much good but i take it anyway on the off chance that it does something.I take it as a supplement also containing bioten,zinc and other stuff that's good for your hair,it's called Expecia.
    There's a company based in kerry that has good value for Rogaine €50 for 3 months

Thanks indeed for the response and thanks indeed to the many people who responded to me by private message to my inbox, it is much appreciated. I must say by way of clarification that I went with one of the more reputable places in Ireland to have this done and they did provide me with a full suite of aftercare products and so just for the purposes of clarity, this 30ml of lotion is not the only item I have been given (well, purchased). I do have other products that I have been told to use and I've been given clear instructions on how long to use them for. I just wanted to say that to clear up in case it sounded like I went for a two-bit amateur job operation. That's not the case. Anyway thanks indeed to all for the replies, they are much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

was the 30ml bottle the atp spray, if so thats only for first few days its needed for.

Thanks indeed for the response and thanks indeed to the many people who responded to me by private message to my inbox, it is much appreciated. I must say by way of clarification that I went with one of the more reputable places in Ireland to have this done and they did provide me with a full suite of aftercare products and so just for the purposes of clarity, this 30ml of lotion is not the only item I have been given (well, purchased). I do have other products that I have been told to use and I've been given clear instructions on how long to use them for. I just wanted to say that to clear up in case it sounded like I went for a two-bit amateur job operation. That's not the case. Anyway thanks indeed to all for the replies, they are much appreciated.

Who did you go with pal? Ailesbury? Andre?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Who did you go with pal? Ailesbury? Andre?

It sounds like the Ailesbury pack.

That little 30ml bottle lasted me the guts of a year, I've only recently ran out of it. I must have been using it very sparingly. I still have loads of the shampoo left too. it does make me wonder what shampoo to use afterwards. I can always buy more from ailesbury, but given the price they charge for the Saw Palmetto compared to what you can buy online, I'd worry the shampoo and serum might be extortionate

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Hair loss is a complex issue and I’ve rarely seen any complex issue mitigated with a single remedy. With that being said, I would say that taking a multi-varied approach is your best bet. As a starter you will need to consider some DHT blocker, whether that’s Finasteride or Saw Palmetto is your decision. I would say if not taking Finasteride then you really do need to throw the kitchen sink at it in terms of using everything else. Loniten is an oral minoxidil and currently showing good research results, particularly for those with hair loss at the temples. I would also say Rogaine has its place, it’s FDA approved as a treatment and can help a small amount. Issue with rogaine is just how greasy it makes your hair. I sometimes ask myself if it’s worth having hair if it’s always dirty looking! Vitamins like biotin and zinc amongst the usual vitamins a through to e have a place in maintaining healthy hair. Are they going to make much difference? Debatable. They certainly won’t do any harm and if you are deficient in these then that’s something to consider. Annual blood works should be done to see where your deficiencies are and then take it from there. Micro-needling has some good research and I suspect there will be more to come. Care must be taken not to damage the recipient area if you’ve just had a HT and I wouldn’t be doing it until the scalp had recovered.

There’s things like PRP injections and Lasercaps depending on how far you want to take things (I have never tried these so can’t comment too much). I guess it’s ultimately about giving yourself the best chance and I would be hesitant about reading comments where people outright say things don’t work. They might not have worked for them but that does not mean it won’t work for you.

Put on Rogaine before bed and wash out in the morning thats what i do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Put on Rogaine before bed and wash out in the morning thats what i do.

Yeah I tend to do the same, and have to make sure to wash pillow cases regularly and change pillows. It does say to be used twice though so are you not using it in morning?

Yeah I tend to do the same, and have to make sure to wash pillow cases regularly and change pillows. It does say to be used twice though so are you not using it in morning?

no man before bed, think the half life is 18hours or something so dr nel said once a day is enough, dont think it does much being honest. i only use it over transplanted area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

I dont know how to embed link,
    Type in The Hairloss Show on YouTube.
    One of the surgeons on this show was involved in the original Rogaine trials in the 80s,he says once a day is enough.Youll find lots of other doctors say the same .
    I had the same issue with hair being greasy,I put it on before bed,I'm down to once a day but when I was using it in the mornings also I would put it on first thing and then wash it out in the shower before leaving the house.The foam version (ie the one most people on here would be familar with) is absorbed in 10 mins.
    That show I mentioned is a great reputable source for all things HT related but particularly medication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

HBC08 wrote: »
    I dont know how to embed link,
    Type in The Hairloss Show on YouTube.
    One of the surgeons on this show was involved in the original Rogaine trials in the 80s,he says once a day is enough.Youll find lots of other doctors say the same .
    I had the same issue with hair being greasy,I put it on before bed,I'm down to once a day but when I was using it in the mornings also I would put it on first thing and then wash it out in the shower before leaving the house.The foam version (ie the one most people on here would be familar with) is absorbed in 10 mins.
    That show I mentioned is a great reputable source for all things HT related but particularly medication.

Half life of it is 20+ hours. The studies I referred to earlier in the thread relating to minoxidil+microneedling used minoxidil once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DaveClarke17

Has anyone here went with Dr Cinik in Turkey?

I have done a lot of research and he seems to be up there as one of the best in Turkey. I emailed them with a few pictures.

They priced me over 2k or 2.5k ( 3300-3800 ) grafts for additionals such as him performing the start of the transplant.

I can probably stretch my budget to around 5k, I know Dr Nel is the best in Ireland - but I need around 3000 grafts so he would be around the 12k mark so would be a huge investment.

Many here done the Turkey route? I have flown all over the world by myself so not worried about the flights or anything like that. The convenience of Ireland is great but the difference in cost outweighs the convenience for me.

Hey

I went with him, had the surgery done in August. Nice bit of growth coming in now. Very smooth, very efficient service. Was delighted with it.

Your last sentence is me all over! Totally get the people who pay 4 times the price to go with someone local to save the flight or whatever but for me, I could not justify 10 grand on my hair. 2 grand was hard enough! Plus if you choose to take finasteride afterward, like I'm doing, you can bring a few years supply home for half nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikeoc85

Has anyone here went with Dr Cinik in Turkey?

I have done a lot of research and he seems to be up there as one of the best in Turkey. I emailed them with a few pictures.

They priced me over 2k or 2.5k ( 3300-3800 ) grafts for additionals such as him performing the start of the transplant.

I can probably stretch my budget to around 5k, I know Dr Nel is the best in Ireland - but I need around 3000 grafts so he would be around the 12k mark so would be a huge investment.

Many here done the Turkey route? I have flown all over the world by myself so not worried about the flights or anything like that. The convenience of Ireland is great but the difference in cost outweighs the convenience for me.

I would echo monokne. I wanted to do it in Ireland because of the flying etc, nothing worse than the thought of stepping into the unknown with a hair transplant and then also flying and the hassle attached. The truth is it's so efficient, as soon as you board the plane it's smooth sailing, the whole time goes so quick. I actually can't get over how straight forward and easy it was. The only ting I'm not 100% about is the hairline. I'm worried about how receded it will still look when all grown in. Other than that it was as hassle free as you can imagine.

Hey

I went with him, had the surgery done in August. Nice bit of growth coming in now. Very smooth, very efficient service. Was delighted with it.

Your last sentence is me all over! Totally get the people who pay 4 times the price to go with someone local to save the flight or whatever but for me, I could not justify 10 grand on my hair. 2 grand was hard enough! Plus if you choose to take finasteride afterward, like I'm doing, you can bring a few years supply home for half nothing.
    Where did you buy the fin in Turkey, was it just a normal chemist?

Where did you buy the fin in Turkey, was it just a normal chemist?

Yup. I brought enough fin and nexium (stomach medication I take) to last me about 3 years home. Saved 4 figures :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 DaveClarke17

Ah, thanks lads.

Looks like turkey is the way to go.

I think we definitely have a bit of a bias with Ireland too, we think since we are paying so much more than the quality is much higher. I know I had that bias but after seeing some results in Ireland compared with results abroad it is certainly not the case.

Also for anyone here looking for extra information, I recommend the Hair Loss Conquerors Facebook group.

Advertisement