Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

davozc wrote: »
    Due to go into Dr nel in a few weeks to get something similar. Feeling nervous about it now. But adopting the same mentality stay local. Any chance I could ask you a few questions about your experience outside of this thread?

yeah i pmd you man.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

davozc wrote: »
    Due to go into Dr nel in a few weeks to get something similar. Feeling nervous about it now. But adopting the same mentality stay local. Any chance I could ask you a few questions about your experience outside of this thread?

From my experience, I would say goto DHI Beacon first cause they have free initial consultation. Then goto Dr Nel. This way you have more information on your state.

suave.4u wrote: »
    From my experience, I would say goto DHI Beacon first cause they have free initial consultation. Then goto Dr Nel. This way you have more information on your state.

did you get a transplant in the end man?

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    did you get a transplant in the end man?

Not yet buddy. My existing condition has to be resolved first before going for HT
    :(.
    But things are looking better now lately, so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Good luck pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 IrelandABU

Emerald99 wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently had an FUE procedure with Dr Nel. In my experience, Dr Nel is a complete gentleman and I cannot overstate the professionalism of him and his team. For something I was very nervous about, I could not believe how smooth everything was. I am delighted with my results so far. If anyone wants any more information please feel free to DM me and I will answer any questions as best I can based on my exp.

Thanks

I am going to have a consultation with Dr. Nel next week so any updated views / opinions etc would be great if anybody would care to share?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

IrelandABU wrote: »
    I am going to have a consultation with Dr. Nel next week so any updated views / opinions etc would be great if anybody would care to share?

Thanks

Scroll on up. A lot of our other posters have been and all seem to speak very well of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coady2020

Guys
    Dont limit yourself just to Ireland.
    There are much better doctors abroad.
    Do your research look up forums such as hair restoration network,hair loss experiences and international hair loss forum.
    You can see real life results from real people not cherry picked ones from clinics.

Why limit yourself to Ireland when you can travel abroad to get a better job done by a top doc who is known all over the word?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Think it's a budget and comfort thing.

I am going abroad because I know of a clinic that has a good reputation and it's cheaper than getting it done here, but very much understand others who want to get it done local. You feel quite vulnerable before and after any kind of surgery, some people would prefer to experience all that at home and deal with local people. To each their own :)

Coady2020 wrote: »
    Guys
    Dont limit yourself just to Ireland.
    There are much better doctors abroad.
    Do your research look up forums such as hair restoration network,hair loss experiences and international hair loss forum.
    You can see real life results from real people not cherry picked ones from clinics.

Why limit yourself to Ireland when you can travel abroad to get a better job done by a top doc who is known all over the word?

Who is limiting themselves, why go abroad if you have met a reputable doc here in Ireland who has shown you good results, the grass is not always greener, i have seen first hand the damage done to a guy who went to turkey, Belgium is the only other place i would have went too as it has many top docs. where did you get yours done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommy Pickle

Monokne wrote: »
    Think it's a budget and comfort thing.

I am going abroad because I know of a clinic that has a good reputation and it's cheaper than getting it done here, but very much understand others who want to get it done local. You feel quite vulnerable before and after any kind of surgery, some people would prefer to experience all that at home and deal with local people. To each their own :)

Absolutely agree with this. If you have a small budget and really want it done you are more likely to go abroad and some people are quite comfortable doing it.
    I think a lot of people who can afford to get it done in Ireland will. The peace of mind to be able to drive back to the doctor if you are having any issues was a big thing for me. Meeting the doctor before the surgery to discuss it, the doctor performing the surgery himself, and meeting him the week later to ensure that all is well. Those things are worth the extra few quid for a lot of people, along with no language barrier, flights etc.

Absolutely agree with this. If you have a small budget and really want it done you are more likely to go abroad and some people are quite comfortable doing it.
    I think a lot of people who can afford to get it done in Ireland will. The peace of mind to be able to drive back to the doctor if you are having any issues was a big thing for me. Meeting the doctor before the surgery to discuss it, the doctor performing the surgery himself, and meeting him the week later to ensure that all is well. Those things are worth the extra few quid for a lot of people, along with no language barrier, flights etc.

Yeah man thats exactly it, still wouldn't pay blackrock prices but dr nel is affordable.

Yeah man thats exactly it, still wouldn't pay blackrock prices but dr nel is affordable.

I am also contemplating a surgery once my existing condition is resolved. As per my research places like Ailesbury and DHI do cost less than Dr Nel.

I am also contemplating a surgery once my existing condition is resolved. As per my research places like Ailesbury and DHI do cost less than Dr Nel.

TBH i dint like some of the results i seen from ailesbury, thats just my opinion, i felt in safer hands with nel and his background. Each to there own though. The fact that ailesbury dont recommend finasteride is a worry. IMO finasteride is essential to a successful hair transplant.

Is anyone taking loniten (oral min). Planning to move from rogaine foam to Loniten.
    Foam is good, but it is making my head very sweaty, especially when playing sports or eating something spicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

IMO finasteride is essential to a successful hair transplant.

Where are you getting that nugget of info from. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

20/20 wrote: »
    Where are you getting that nugget of info from. ??

In most cases this is true.If, for example you are receding and have your hairline restored then if your MPB continued your remaining native hair will still fall out (see Stuart Hogg for example)
    If you are a diffuse thinner and you have a ht,the remaining native hairs will continue to fall out leaving you back where you started.
    Do you see the trend here? A ht is not a cure for baldness and finesteride will help keep your native hair.
    If someone was a Norwood 6/7 then I imagine there would be less need for a DHT blocker as most of the hair would be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tus

Does anyone have any experience getting a transplant done with DHI? I'm booking in for a consultation with Dr Nel but DHI is very close to home however I can't really find any third hand info on the beacon branch. If someone could point me towards some experiences I'd appreciate it.

Tus wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience getting a transplant done with DHI? I'm booking in for a consultation with Dr Nel but DHI is very close to home however I can't really find any third hand info on the beacon branch. If someone could point me towards some experiences I'd appreciate it.

I went for a consultation there. Prices are affordable and I was told that they use the latest choi pen technology and the complete surgery is done by the Doctor himself.
    But yes, I am not able to find any 3rd hand info, so not sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tus

I went for a consultation there. Prices are affordable and I was told that they use the latest choi pen technology and the complete surgery is done by the Doctor himself.
    But yes, I am not able to find any 3rd hand info, so not sure..

Interesting. Might just go with Doctor Nel then depending on the quote I get as there's more then enough people happy with his work.

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    In most cases this is true.If, for example you are receding and have your hairline restored then if your MPB continued your remaining native hair will still fall out (see Stuart Hogg for example)
    If you are a diffuse thinner and you have a ht,the remaining native hairs will continue to fall out leaving you back where you started.
    Do you see the trend here? A ht is not a cure for baldness and finesteride will help keep your native hair.
    If someone was a Norwood 6/7 then I imagine there would be less need for a DHT blocker as most of the hair would be gone.

I hope he was trying to be smart or else hes pretty uninformed.

I hope he was trying to be smart or else hes pretty uninformed.

If you are talking about me ? I was not been smart.
    I have asked you a question and hope you could answer without pointing me to the literature from the particular clinic you went to.
    Otherwise stop talking sh1te. People are reading this looking for info not your opinions.

20/20 wrote: »
    If you are talking about me ? I was not been smart.
    I have asked you a question and hope you could answer without pointing me to the literature from the particular clinic you went to.
    Otherwise stop talking sh1te. People are reading this looking for info not your opinions.

Your post came across as being smart because anybody thats getting a hair transplant and doesn't know about finasteride is incredibly un-informed. I have given this thread alot of info so piss off.

anybody thats getting a hair transplant and doesn't know about finasteride is incredibly un-informed. so piss off.

No need to be rude. You had a relatively small transplant. I don't know if that's all you needed or all you could afford. But you are no expert and people are on here looking for info like you were before your transplant. Don't tell people finasteride is necessary when that is not TRUE. I have asked you three days ago where this info comes from and still no reply, just insults. Also do you honestly think the Dr doing your transplant does 10% extra for free ?? and doesn't mention this in the advertising blurb. Now I think you are the un-informed one, or perhaps you counted the hair on your head afterwards.

When you come back on here with your stupid response can you please post a pic of the before and after treatment you had done.

Your a prick, you were arguing with another poster few weeks ago, dont quote me again.

Your a prick, you were arguing with another poster few weeks ago, dont quote me again.

Nice. Now we can see the level of your intelligence and people will see you talk sh1te.

I also asked for some pics before you came back. Where are they.

HBC08 wrote: »

Summed up perfectly. Any decent clinic will recommend finasteride.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kav_Piero

Anyone who has experience using finasteride did you notice any side effects?

Always been very reluctant to start using it based on some of the horror stories online

Been on it for past year 1.25mg 3 times a week no sides, was on it for 3 years about 5 years ago daily and gave it up - watery semen only side i noticed which this time around i dont have as i am taking less, 3 times a week is enough is to block further loss. Any reputable transplant surgeon will recommend it, whats the point in having a transplant if the hair around it will still fall out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Kav_Piero

Been on it for past year 1.25mg 3 times a week no sides, was on it for 3 years about 5 years ago daily and gave it up - watery semen only side i noticed which this time around i dont have as i am taking less, 3 times a week is enough is to block further loss. Any reputable transplant surgeon will recommend it, whats the point in having a transplant if the hair around it will still fall out.

Been weighing up a transplant for a couple of years now but like you said what's the point of getting one if your not going to bite the bullet with finasteride this has always prevented me from going ahead with it. Pretty much given up on Minoxidil at this stage, been using it for the last 5 years and it's only slightly stabilized the hair loss at best.

Advertisement