Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrelandABU

sugarman20 wrote: »
    Congrats! Could I be cheeky and ask what kind of price you'd be looking at for 4000 grafts with Dr. Nel? I'm thinking about going with him too but still thinking about it.

Edit: Still trying to weigh it up if I should get it done here or abroad.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrelandABU

Hi guys,

Posted last night (Sat) but for some reason can’t see the message so will give an update on Day 3 of my procedure with Dr. Nel

So Friday night was fairly tough, the spraying every 30 minutes and the FUT area started to get sore but the painkillers helped. Went for a walk on the beach at 5.00am which also helped clear the head a bit!

Picked up at the hotel again at 7.00am and had some breakfast with some of the team at the clinic. Then it was back into the harvesting room for the Safe Donor Area FUE. The day before had gone well with just about 2500 grafts taken (strip ended up being closer to 1900 and with the beard FUE at 600).

After a few (much less painful injections) I was in position for the FUE. Honestly I was asleep within 5 minutes and slept solid for around 3 hours while they did the FUE. Early lunch at around 12 followed by a coffee and chat and then I was back in for the implantation.

They had over 1700 grafts taken so all that afternoon while I watched the TV they went to work and it was a well oiled machine with the full team playing their part. Was all done and dusted by 5pm.

Total number ended up being just over 4250 implanted grafts.

Back to the hotel and slept better last night, still waking to spray but sleeping soundly in between as was still wrecked form the night before.

Up now and all packed so meeting Dr. Nel at 08:00am for him to remove the donor area bandage and then head for home.

I’ll try to post a few photos over the coming months to show the results but so far I couldn’t be happier.

All the very best to anyone considering going through this procedure and the best advise I can give is to talk to a few different teams / doctors and go with the one you feel is right for you.

Drop me a PM if you’ve any more specific questions and I’ll try my best to answer them.

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Wow,that's a fairly comprehensive procedure!
    FUT,FUE and beard hair.
    Dr Nel seems like he knows what he's doing and really takes his time with each patient.I was espeically impressed with the long and thorough consultation.Looks like we might finally have a real Ht option in Ireland.What was the cost? I'm guessing about 4e per graft?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Well written and articulated Irelandabu. Thank you.
    How to keep such a transplant under wraps. Such an operation if fully successful, will lead to a complete change of appearance.
    I wish I the had your guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Went to the clinic on Grafton St.

Very professional and knowledgeable lady.

I have had two transplants and while I have a good hairline, my complaint is more with the density of the hairs and the thickness of the hairs.

She advised that I had plenty of donor space left but she said 1000 or 2000 transplant wouldn't affect things greatly.

She explained Trico could be an option to hide the shinny bits for the full head and donor plus sides for €1,700 Euros. She said this is a 2 day procedure and will last for 14 months to 18 months. They will include a full top up after 14 months or if you want it before no problem and that will last for another 2 years.

This compares with the lady in Malahide (now moved) which was a procedure over 5 visits and cost roughly €2400.

I'll think it over.

Interestingly, she said that the 5th clinical trial of finasteride has determined that a quarter tablet three times a week has zero side effects. It did thicken the hair for me so I am inclined now to go for the tricopigmentation and go back on the finasteride to thicken what I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

FUE transplant booked with MHR Grafton street on 27th of June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommy Pickle

BeMAD wrote: »
    Has anyone here been using Finastride and want to share their experience. Debating getting an FUE transplant but given Fin is such a huge part of success stories i wanted to know what peoples personal experience with the drug is like;

What age did you start taken it? (heard side effects are more likely to occur in younger men - albeit still probably minimal)

What kind of dosage are you personally on? (Read people's dosages vary - propecia 1mg daily, there is 1mg 3 times a week, sometimes even half 0.5mg 3 times a week)

Did you have any side effects? If so how long were you taking it before the side effects showed?

Did the side effects go away? If so was it due to discontinuing Fin or was it after a stop and start approach that I have heard people doing to adjust to Fin.

Can appreciate there are a lot of horror stories out there so just looking to hear from peoples own personal experiences with Fin. Pm me if you don't want to post here as I'm really interested to hear people's experiences on it. Thanks

Im 9 months on it now, and im 31 years old.
    Roughly 1.25 mg taken 3 times a week. Basically you get the 5mg proscar tablet, break it into 4 pieces and you take 1 piece 3 times a week.

No side effects so far and my hair is noticeably thicker on the Finestride.

I used finisteride from the age of 32 to 39.
    I broke one pill of proscar into 4 pieces and took a quarter every morning.
    I had none of the more serious sides but get develop man boobs and have a dull ache in my balls.
    I stopped it to begin trying for kids.
    My hair did thin out a good bit after that.
    I'm considering going back on it but have reservations.If I do back on it it'll be every second day as thats just as effective and will help reduce sides.
    I'm in two minds,my opinion is that you could take it for a year or two with and think youre one of the people who have no sides,but the bottom line is messing with your hormones will catch up with you at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

HBC08 wrote: »
    I used finisteride from the age of 32 to 39.
    I broke one pill of proscar into 4 pieces and took a quarter every morning.
    I had none of the more serious sides but get develop man boobs and have a dull ache in my balls.
    I stopped it to begin trying for kids.
    My hair did thin out a good bit after that.
    I'm considering going back on it but have reservations.If I do back on it it'll be every second day as thats just as effective and will help reduce sides.
    I'm in two minds,my opinion is that you could take it for a year or two with and think youre one of the people who have no sides,but the bottom line is messing with your hormones will catch up with you at some point.
    Did the gyno go away when you stopped taking it, or is that tissue still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 paddyuibh

Hey,

I got my hair transplant done last week Monday and Friday in the Ailesbury Hair Clinic in Dublin. Anyone else being?

So went in Monday at 1pm out that evening 6.30 about 1.5hr taking from donor area in back and 3.5hrs putting them in front was just myself and the 2 ladies doing it, usually they have more but due to covid there restricting number people in the clinic. To be honest it flew by only sore part was the local Anaesthetic, I got around 6-7,000 hairs done. In 8/9 months I can go back for a 3rd op which is the top up on density if needed on top.

Aftercare package is great, tells you what to do for the weeks/months ahead. I find if you get yourself a travel pillow it helps big time. They ask you up date them whenever with pics to show your progress.

I tried Tir Na Og, had consultation with the Dr over whatsapp (due to covid restrictions and travelling) only thing was he was pushing to put me on a treatment of Finstride for months and see results before and plan with an actual hair transplant then, this put me off them cause I didn't wanna go on something that I think would have little results and then get it done another year or so down the line.

Ailsebury said they would do it, worked around my schedule on when to get it done and found them very good. Between price Tir na og and Ailsebury were in or around same price to get the transplant. I know I could went to Turkey and got it done for 3 or 4k but with whats happening and having security and knowing anything goes wrong Dublin crowd are only hour away from me. So spending double amount didn't bother me as much. Here's attached pic of mine done

• Advertisement

Hey,

I got my hair transplant done last week Monday and Friday in the Ailesbury Hair Clinic in Dublin. Anyone else being?

So went in Monday at 1pm out that evening 6.30 about 1.5hr taking from donor area in back and 3.5hrs putting them in front was just myself and the 2 ladies doing it, usually they have more but due to covid there restricting number people in the clinic. To be honest it flew by only sore part was the local Anaesthetic, I got around 6-7,000 hairs done. In 8/9 months I can go back for a 3rd op which is the top up on density if needed on top.

Aftercare package is great, tells you what to do for the weeks/months ahead. I find if you get yourself a travel pillow it helps big time. They ask you up date them whenever with pics to show your progress.

I tried Tir Na Og, had consultation with the Dr over whatsapp (due to covid restrictions and travelling) only thing was he was pushing to put me on a treatment of Finstride for months and see results before and plan with an actual hair transplant then, this put me off them cause I didn't wanna go on something that I think would have little results and then get it done another year or so down the line.

Ailsebury said they would do it, worked around my schedule on when to get it done and found them very good. Between price Tir na og and Ailsebury were in or around same price to get the transplant. I know I could went to Turkey and got it done for 3 or 4k but with whats happening and having security and knowing anything goes wrong Dublin crowd are only hour away from me. So spending double amount didn't bother me as much. Here's attached pic of mine done

Did the gyno go away when you stopped taking it, or is that tissue still there?

It's gone but I also started working out and running around the same time.

I had Dr Monika and Cara do mine recently. Found them great Cara done most of the work, found Dr Monika little bit rough at times but wouldn't notice with Cara, just have to wait now and see end results :)
    Rikand wrote: »
    Monica has been doing hair transplants for about 4 years having previously been a gynaecologist according to a google search I did. I've seen some good results and one or two results that I wouldn't be happy with but that's not to say those people aren't happy. She was the named doctor over my transplant but another Polish surgeon named Marcin Niedwicz? (That spelling could be way off) did the bulk of mine. He extracted, made the holes and did the hairline and implanted the left side of my head. Hes been doing transplants for about 10 years and was a travelling surgeon who comes to the clinic now and again. I found him to be excellent. We had the same taste in music too which was great!

I would have a little bit of apprehension about Monica but it's probably unfounded as if she was having a lot of bad results we would have heard more about it by now so 99% of the time is probably fine. She did about 25% of my transplant(the right side) and so far so good it all seems to be coming through fine.

I'll post some pics in the summer if I'm happy with the result lol.

Dr Cara is the other surgeon in there and shes doing it about 20 years. I have only heard good stuff about her and she finished off the last grafts of my transplant.

I had 3500 hairs which equates to roughly 1600 grafts. Ailesbury charge between 3-4 euros per graft which would be normal. Dont be completely put off by the charge per hairs. They take grafts out of the head and a lot of mine were 3-4 hair grafts

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

paddyuibh wrote: »
    I had Dr Monika and Cara do mine recently. Found them great Cara done most of the work, found Dr Monika little bit rough at times but wouldn't notice with Cara, just have to wait now and see end results :)
    You said you got hair transplant done last week Monday and Friday in the Ailesbury Hair Clinic in Dublin. Was it one or two days work ?

I think the same girls did mine in Feb last year. I posted some pics back on page 24.
    Can I ask how much it cost please ? (Or can you PM me the cost )
    You said its your second transplant, Did Ailesbury do your first also ?
    Will you definitely need a third op or is it wait and see ?
    How long did you have to wait from the time you booked the procedure to actually getting it done.?
    I know its a lot of questions but iam thinking about a top-up also. If I could get it done within two or three months I would go ahead with it. But if it was into next year I probably would not bother.

Replied by PM
    20/20 wrote: »
    You said you got hair transplant done last week Monday and Friday in the Ailesbury Hair Clinic in Dublin. Was it one or two days work ?

I think the same girls did mine in Feb last year. I posted some pics back on page 24.
    Can I ask how much it cost please ? (Or can you PM me the cost )
    You said its your second transplant, Did Ailesbury do your first also ?
    Will you definitely need a third op or is it wait and see ?
    How long did you have to wait from the time you booked the procedure to actually getting it done.?
    I know its a lot of questions but iam thinking about a top-up also. If I could get it done within two or three months I would go ahead with it. But if it was into next year I probably would not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,680 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They're still doing HT in the midst of a pandemic. WTF

That's top notch greed.

''yay great hair, died a month later ''

They're still doing HT in the midst of a pandemic. WTF

That's top notch greed.

''yay great hair, died a month later ''

I had booked it before the pandemic, in terms of health and safety they were top notch had to wear mask, so had they and gloves. They also only had 2 doing it when usually there's more.

I took 3 weeks off work to for recovery and to be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,680 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I had booked it before the pandemic, in terms of health and safety they were top notch had to wear mask, so had they and gloves. They also only had 2 doing it when usually there's more.

I took 3 weeks off work to for recovery and to be safe!

They shut all over Europe though.

I wouldn't know I only looked into getting it done in Ireland. They were closed last month for whatever reason probably due to it.

BorneTobyWilde your an idiot. Why do you bother to comment.
    Seven minutes after I put up photos you were on to criticise also.

paddyuibh I have sent you a PM.

• Advertisement

HRBR was doing them since 2nd June. Look up google you know-all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Has anybody used Wong and Hasson?

Shane732 wrote: »
    Has anybody used Wong and Hasson?

There are few names that pop up regularly on lists of best ht surgeons in the world.Hasson and Wong are generally accepted to be the best and they charge almost half of what Blackrock do.

Hasson isnt the best advertisement for hair transplants.
    He should get Wong to do something to his baldy noggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Hey,

hi man how long after the transplant was that pic taken?

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    hi man how long after the transplant was that pic taken?

Sorry for late reply

The pic was taken roughly 7-8 days after the last procedure. I had 2 that week the front on the monday and crown on the friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

20/20 wrote: »
    Hasson isnt the best advertisement for hair transplants.
    He should get Wong to do something to his baldy noggin.

You might be the best HT surgeon, but still lack enough donor area :)

Seen Neil Delamere last night on rte comic relief, it looks to me he has gotten a hair transplant, jimmy carr just confirmed he has gotten it done too, becoming more and more mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Seen Neil Delamere last night on rte comic relief, it looks to me he has gotten a hair transplant, jimmy carr just confirmed he has gotten it done too, becoming more and more mainstream.

I've seen at least half a dozen lads in my workplace who have 100% had one, and a dozen more who I would suspect. It's really a mainstream thing amongst men in their thirties, along with braces and other cosmetic dental work.

• Advertisement

I've seen at least half a dozen lads in my workplace who have 100% had one, and a dozen more who I would suspect. It's really a mainstream thing amongst men in their thirties, along with braces and other cosmetic dental work.

yeah i decided to get it done as i was finishing work for xmas in 2018 and saw my hair in the mirror from the side and i was just thinking how the **** am i going to keep that in place with the windy weather on nights out over xmas, delighted i have it done now and would do it again in future if necessary. I do think some less invasive procedure will be along this decade too.

Advertisement