Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

Stheno wrote: »
    So looking at the current standings then if you took the table as it stands, it would be all Irish teams bar Munster would qualify?
    Scarlets go through for Wales, Edinburgh for Scotland, Leinster for Ireland, Zebre for Italy, leaving Connaught, Ospreys and Ulster taking the last three slots?

That actually matches what you said, sorry, was just applying it to the current table.

Not sure it would feel like a Champions / Heineken cup without a Munster team in it...!

Think we've a good shot at getting all 4 in next season.

Either way, some teams running into form but no clear favourite as it stands for the pro12.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not sure it would feel like a Champions / Heineken cup without a Munster team in it...!

Either way, some teams running into form but no clear favourite as it stands for the pro12.

T'would be weird alright not to see Munster there.

Be great if all four made it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think Connacht are in trouble. They've a tough second half to the season, have a few injuries, have a poor enough run of form recently and there's not much between them and 8th spot. Unless they can turn things around fairly quickly I can see them slip out of contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

On the plus side for Connacht, plenty of players returning and the 6N period should be good. Hard to be confident going to Scarlets next week but four winnable games after that.

It wouldn't be a surprise if the sixth spot came down to a dogfight between Munster and Connacht and the return interpro might be decisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

molloyjh wrote: »
    I think Connacht are in trouble. They've a tough second half to the season, have a few injuries, have a poor enough run of form recently and there's not much between them and 8th spot. Unless they can turn things around fairly quickly I can see them slip out of contention.

I'm not so sure that Connacht won't be in the top 6. They have played very well, in awful conditions against Ulster and Leinster and, being candid, were unlucky to just come out with 1 point out of those games. Given some of their best players are injured but soon to return and they have games during the 6 N's against rivals who will lose more players to Scotland and Wales and Italy, they also have to play Treviso twice. I think they could still end up with 60+ points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

jacothelad wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that Connacht won't be in the top 6. They have played very well, in awful conditions against Ulster and Leinster and, being candid, were unlucky to just come out with 1 point out of those games. Given some of their best players are injured but soon to return and they have games during the 6 N's against rivals who will lose more players to Scotland and Wales and Italy, they also have to play Treviso twice. I think they could still end up with 60+ points.

I know back in your day Jaco that 3 points was a major score, but I can't see how you can say Connacht played really well when they only scored 3 points in 160 minutes. Parts of their game were very good but attack was not one of them.

However they are definitely still in contention and I would like to see them qualify for Europe, I'm not anti-Connacht per se!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

molloyjh wrote: »

Dragons, Zebre, Ospreys, Edinburgh is the opposition in the 6n spell, and given they are unlikely to lose too many players, quite possibly 2 max, they are 4 games they could win. They also have treviso later in the season. So if they can get as many bodies back as possible over the coming weeks and can get even one win from two against the scarlets [their next two pro 2 games are scarlets away and home either side of europe] then they could finish above Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I know back in your day Jaco that 3 points was a major score, but I can't see how you can say Connacht played really well when they only scored 3 points in 160 minutes. Parts of their game were very good but attack was not one of them.

However they are definitely still in contention and I would like to see them qualify for Europe, I'm not anti-Connacht per se!

I meant in the sense that they were a depleted side, playing away from home, in awful conditions and while Leinster should have won, there was a lot about Connacht's performance that was good. Their pack pretty much stood up well which is a good sign. They have some good backs but not enough - as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Triumvirate

jacothelad wrote:
    I meant in the sense that they were a depleted side, playing away from home, in awful conditions and while Leinster should have won, there was a lot about Connacht's performance that was good. Their pack pretty much stood up well which is a good sign. They have some good backs but not enough - as yet.

For the second game in a row, the direction given by their halfbacks was a major factor.

Their pack went well but also made a large number of sloppy errors at the set piece. The line out was very ragged and, while the scrum went well in the latter stages, it was under big pressure in the first half giving one up against the head in their own 22 and Masterson/Marmion coming under big pressure to clear on more than one occasion.

I think the backrow was the only unit that really went well and they were excellent. Aki was very good individually. The back three weren't great at all and turned over possession multiple times (but shouldn't have been in that position to do so).

The Ronaldson/Carty axis really isn't working to my mind.

23000 at the edinburgh home game last week but the crowd today is limited to 8000 i think because of unavailability of stewards and first aiders apparently

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

aimee1 wrote: »
    23000 at the edinburgh home game last week but the crowd today is limited to 8000 i think because of unavailability of stewards and first aiders apparently

Ah I was wondering why the ground looked so empty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Presumably it means that Edinburgh don't have too many home fans there.

game is a mess so far. lineouts are a shambles.

game is a mess so far. lineouts are a shambles.

Conditions are woeful, but yeah, it's hard to stay interested.

vienne86 wrote: »

I'm switching it off at halftime :)

vienne86 wrote: »

bump kicking is less painful then this sh1te

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm switching it off at halftime :)

I'll try Sharks v Wasps for a bit.

lineouts still a shambles. going long each time and over the top.

Hmmm. Embra get a try. 11-14. 5 mins left. Didn't expect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Edinburgh have clawed their way back into it with 5 mins to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Have only seen Glasgow a few times this season but they really look to have gone hugely backwards this season. Ok they were affected more than anyone by the World Cup but there is little signs of them getting it together.

Glasgow have a great chance to steal it in the last minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Have only seen Glasgow a few times this season but they really look to have gone hugely backwards this season. Ok they were affected more than anyone by the World Cup but there is little signs of them getting it together.

They lost a rake of players over the summer. Welsh, Maitland, DTH VDM, Matawalu, Kellock, Euan Murray among others.

The Scottish teams have little money. They can't keep hitting the jackpot with signings on a small budget as they have done.

Tense finish as Glasgow hammer at the line

Some defence from Edinbugh.

3 points down and you get a penalty in overtime

What do you do?

Take your points

Glasgow disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Extraordinary defence. 42 phases within 10m of their line

Good finish for the neutral but the defence looks solid

Edinburgh hold on. Fair play to them. Decent finish to the match. Glasgow will be gutted.

• Advertisement

Enjoyed that tussle

Advertisement