Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Table is pretty intense. 11 points covering the top 8. The teams at the bottom pushing up, the teams at the top beginning to slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

errlloyd wrote: »
    Table is pretty intense. 11 points covering the top 8. The teams at the bottom pushing up, the teams at the top beginning to slip.

This weekend certainly tightened up the table - great for the neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

vienne86 wrote: »
    This weekend certainly tightened up the table - great for the neutral.

Bad news for Connacht though I think. They've a tough second half to the season and their buffer is just 10 points at the moment between them and Ospreys in 8th. Between the fixture list and their injuries I fear things could get very tight for them towards the end of the season.

Munster should be fine as their fixture list is far kinder than Connachts. But whether they can challenge for a top 4 place is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rhys Webb has signed a dual contract to stay at Ospreys. Brilliant news for them and the Pro12, to add to Dan Biggar's extension announced at the beginning of the month. Alun-Wyn Jones' future is still up in the air.

Edit: AWJ is still only 30! I thought he would be a few years older, he's been around forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

great for the neutral.

Does such a beast exist ?

I would have thought the Pro 12 is the kinda tourney that either you have a team in it, or you dont even know it exists (almost).

• Advertisement

Does such a beast exist ?

I would have thought the Pro 12 is the kinda tourney that either you have a team in it, or you dont even know it exists (almost).

I think we all have a favourite team, but we have second and third favourites too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I think we all have a favourite team, but we have second and third favourites too.

No, I'm totally impartial.... I don't care who beats Leinster
    :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Pink Fairy wrote: »

Huh, I though you liked Munster... my bad!

Pink Fairy wrote: »

Joking aside, would the Munster lads on here support Leinster against non Irish teams?

I ask because there were three cork lads at the home Toulon game cheering for Toulon. I always felt the support for Munster among Leinster fans was very much there, but never hear the reverse in action as much.

Joking aside, would the Munster lads on here support Leinster against non Irish teams?

I ask because there were three cork lads at the home Toulon game cheering for Toulon. I always felt the support for Munster among Leinster fans was very much there, but never hear the reverse in action as much.

I wouldn't say that. I've seen groups of Leinster fans cheer for non-Irish teams in Munster games. You've got pockets of people like that everywhere. I wouldn't do it myself (unless Leinster needed Munster to lose) but some do.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that. I've seen groups of Leinster fans cheer for non-Irish teams in Munster games. You've got pockets of people like that everywhere. I wouldn't do it myself (unless Leinster needed Munster to lose) but some do.

I have no time for shouting for non-Irish teams playing against Irish teams ......unless we really need the Irish team to lose for our own progress - and that is a rare enough occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

People are different, personally I'd always support an Irish Province against a non-Irish side.
    I then tend to support Ulster when they play either Leinster or Munster - and I never mind who wins the Leinster v Munster games
    I know some fellow Connacht fans who would never bring themselves to support an other Irish side and take joy in seeing them lose
    Like I said, people are different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I'd cheer for Leinster most times, unless they're playing Sarries, then Im all for Sarries winning.... Just to see ak explode :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I have no time for shouting for non-Irish teams playing against Irish teams ......unless we really need the Irish team to lose for our own progress - and that is a rare enough occurrence.

This. I was pretty shocked a few years ago, was down in west Cork visiting a friend and watched the Harlequins-Leinster HEC game. I was the only one in the pub supporting Leinster, every single other person there was celebrating when Quins scored. I couldn't understand cheering against another Irish team, unless they're playing your own....

molloyjh wrote: »

I hate Leinster so much I bought their season ticket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Zzippy wrote: »
    This. I was pretty shocked a few years ago, was down in west Cork visiting a friend and watched the Harlequins-Leinster HEC game. I was the only one in the pub supporting Leinster, every single other person there was celebrating when Quins scored. I couldn't understand cheering against another Irish team, unless they're playing your own....

Welcome to the mind of a Munster man.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Always support Irish provinces in Europe. In the Pro12 whatever is best for Connacht, though that's usually the Irish province winning anyway.

I'm very rational about supporting Irish teams. Our teams are all owned by the same organisation. They all generally contribute to the same aim. When it comes to it, my primary team is Ireland and I rely on the other 3 provinces to be playing well to contribute.

For what it's worth I know most munster supporters are fairly sound about it. Whats weird is that I think it's the more casual fans and not the enthusiastic ones who tend to actively take pleasure from other teams struggling.

I'm very rational about supporting Irish teams. Our teams are all owned by the same organisation. They all generally contribute to the same aim. When it comes to it, my primary team is Ireland and I rely on the other 3 provinces to be playing well to contribute.

For what it's worth I know most munster supporters are fairly sound about it. Whats weird is that I think it's the more casual fans and not the enthusiastic ones who tend to actively take pleasure from other teams struggling.

The ultras do it too.

Edinburgh will play Glasgow in Murrayfield for the second week running. Scotsun is unplayable. Handy for Edinburgh, if they sneak another win out of it it puts pressure on the top 6.

• Advertisement

Edinburgh will play Glasgow in Murrayfield for the second week running. Scotsun is unplayable. Handy for Edinburgh, if they sneak another win out of it it puts pressure on the top 6.

Will Glasgow let this happen again? i didn't see last week's match, so can't judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Will Glasgow let this happen again? i didn't see last week's match, so can't judge.

glasgow already have a few games postponed, Racing away in ERCC and Leinster at home in Pro12. They cant afford another postponement otherwise they will be playing games every few day near the end of the season

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/15180/10115362/glasgow-move-edinburgh-clash-to-murrayfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Edinburgh were deserving winners in the first game. Glasgow started off well and got an early try and it looked like they would push on but Edinburgh dominated from there on in. There is the 1872 Cup to play for also which Edinburgh won last season so Glasgow will want to try and reel in that 12 point deficit also.

In the early game today Ospreys beat Dragons 12-7 in a poor game. Looked like Ospreys would get a bonus point victory for a while but Dragons kept in touch and had a bit of pressure at the end without ever looking like they'd get the winning try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Cardiff have done the provinces a big favour by beating Scarlets.

It's some championship this year, nothing at all in it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How do the Pro12 results affect the Champions Cup, as in how many of the teams in the pro12 can qualify for it?

It's some championship this year, nothing at all in it.

Suddenly Cardiff are back in with a shout of a European spot and if you take a look at their remaining fixtures, 7 of 11 are at home and they have to play home and away to Treviso. Treviso have been close to a win to say the least...no wins but 7 LBPs. If they lose at home to Zebre on Sunday then their season is probably done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Stheno wrote: »
    How do the Pro12 results affect the Champions Cup, as in how many of the teams in the pro12 can qualify for it?

7 teams qualify for the champions cup from the pro 12 the top team from each country and then the next best placed 3 teams in the league which usually means the top 6 and then either zebre and Treviso

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

7 teams qualify for the champions cup from the pro 12 the top team from each country and then the next best placed 3 teams in the league which usually means the top 6 and then either zebre and Treviso

So looking at the current standings then if you took the table as it stands, it would be all Irish teams bar Munster would qualify?
    Scarlets go through for Wales, Edinburgh for Scotland, Leinster for Ireland, Zebre for Italy, leaving Connaught, Ospreys and Ulster taking the last three slots?

That actually matches what you said, sorry, was just applying it to the current table.

Advertisement