Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

They should allot more time to the Missing Vowels round. It's always rushed into a very short space of time at the end of the show. .............. give the final round a bit more attention.

That's the round I tend to do best in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

brian_t wrote: »
    That's the round I tend to do best in.

Me too, though this week's show's round seemed harder than usual. Or maybe, it being the first episode after a break, I was just out of practise.

Missing vowels and connecting wall are the ones I do best in - I usually get two, sometimes even three of the connections on the wall, even if I don't quite get all four answers in each group.

The first two rounds are the hardest, but the most fascinating in many ways. I tip my virtual hat to the question-setters. They must have some seriously lateral minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

quickbeam wrote: »

Missing vowels and connecting wall are the ones I do best in - I usually get two, sometimes even three of the connections on the wall, even if I don't quite get all four answers in each group.

I can usually spot a couple of groups in the connecting wall ... figuring out which answer is the red herring is where it gets really tricky. Try the walls yourself to see how frustrating it gets:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2Z79DzzJY8w2R58bpftq14k/quiz

And I love the missing vowels round. The "non lethal weapons" topic on Monday was excellent.

Yay! I love Only Connect. Fantastic it's back. University Challenge on before it too. Yippee!!

Fans of both should be aware that for the next couple of weeks University Challenge starts at 7.30pm.

This is to allow Olympics coverage to continue on BBC2 when Eastenders is on BBC1.

University Challenge is back to its usual start time from tomorrow.

Also tomorrow ITV has a new hour long quiz called 500 Questions starting at 9pm and continuing on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 8pm.

Why it's not on tomorrow at 8pm I can't imagine.

Oh and by the way it's hosted by Victoria's brother Giles.

• Advertisement

Not on UTV, damnit! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

University Challenge is back to its usual start time from tomorrow.

Also tomorrow ITV has a new hour long quiz called 500 Questions starting at 9pm and continuing on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 8pm.

Why it's not on tomorrow at 8pm I can't imagine.

Oh and by the way it's hosted by Victoria's brother Giles.

Does it not start tomorrow and run all week?

The US version ran for 7 weeknights whereas this one appears to be for Monday to Thursday of next week.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Does it not start tomorrow and run all week?

Not on UTV, damnit! :(

It's on all the ITV's including UTV but not UTV Ireland

brian_t, completely misread that somehow. apologies.

interesting to see if it does well here. i like the format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone watching tonight?

Why can't (or won't) Victoria say "wolf"???

And i really am not a fan of this new thing of her getting the teams to sing (sic) the answer to one of the questions every week... it's excruciating (i can only imagine how the teams and anyone who knows them feels :eek: )

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Anyone watching tonight?

Why can't (or won't) Victoria say "wolf"???

And i really am not a fan of this new thing of her getting the teams to sing (sic) the answer to one of the questions every week... it's excruciating (i can only imagine how the teams and anyone who knows them feels :eek: )

https://twitter.com/VictoriaCoren/status/780496454876012544

And yes, the singing is cringe inducing

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ahlookit wrote: »
    And yes, the singing is cringe inducing
    She's very witty, so I'll forgive it!

Nailed the Homer Simpsons relatives question for 5 points... BOOM!

Basq wrote: »
    She's very witty, so I'll forgive it!

Nailed the Homer Simpsons relatives question for 5 points... BOOM!

Oh I'm a fan alright, I just don't like the (now regular) bit of cajoling the teams into singing.

I prefer these early rounds where I can get more questions right ... but I didnt get the Homer one after one clue. Thats impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Yeah the singing is cringy.

The two teams last night were good though. I think the questions may have been the "easiest" I've seen, got a good few!!

Both University Challenge and Only Connect are taking a break next Monday.

An extended final Great British Menu and Autumnwatch have pushed them off the listings.

They both return on Monday 31st.

This might interest posters here.
    Skid X wrote: »
    I quite like the look of this one. Some good contributors listed.

Wednesday - BBC4 - 9pm & 2.30 am - How Quizzing Got Cool: TV's Brains of Britain

We all love a good quiz. So here's a question - when did ordinary contestants turn into the pro-quizzers of today? Giving the answers are Victoria Coren Mitchell, Judith Keppel, Chris Tarrant, Mark Labbett, Nicholas Parsons and many more. Narrated by Ben Miller.

And a book that will probably interest a few on here too....Haven't got it myself yet, but had a browse through it the other day. Looks good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1846148685/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480253494&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=alan+connor+the+joy+of+quiz

ahlookit wrote: »
    And a book that will probably interest a few on here too....Haven't got it myself yet, but had a browse through it the other day. Looks good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1846148685/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480253494&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=alan+connor+the+joy+of+quiz

Looks interesting. Written by the question editor of BBC2's Only Connect.

University Challenge goes into festive mode this week with Alumni from the respective Universities.

It continues on all week at 7.30pm Tuesday to Thursday and 7pm on Friday.

Then Monday week at 6.20pm, and Tuesday to Thursday at 7.30pm.

University Challenge proper returns on Monday 2nd January at 8pm.

++++

Only Connect is on as usual at 8.30pm tomorrow and then takes a Christmas break.

Bad news however for 2017. Monday happy hour is no more.

University Challenge on Mondays will be now be paired with the new series of An Island Parish.

Only Connect will now be paired with Mastermind on Fridays starting 6th January.

Mastermind at 8pm and Only Connect at 8.30pm.

++++

(and finally just be aware that if you only get BBC2 NI then for the first Friday -Jan 6th "Only Connect" will be at 7pm and Mastermind at 9.30pm due to a rugby match)

• Advertisement

Boo! I love my quizzing hour of a Monday :(

Friday? WTF?

I'd rather they put it back on BBC4 on the usual Monday night timeslot. Friday is a bad night to have it on - and BBC NI regularly muck stuff about on Friday nights for the Ulster rugby matches, which will play havoc with the series link recordings.

Only Connect

(and finally just be aware that if you only get BBC2 NI then for the first Friday -Jan 6th "Only Connect" will be at 7pm and Mastermind at 9.30pm due to a rugby match)

I notice that BBC2 NI have switched these two around. Only Connect will be at 9.30pm this friday.

(BBC2 London has it on at 8.30pm)
    So join Victoria Coren Mitchell if you want to know what connects three arrowheads, red hexagon containing two white triangles, blue spread eagle and black horse.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b087yz5l

I've also just noticed that BBC2 will be repeating both University Challenge and Only Connect on Saturday afternoons.

University Challenge at 4.30pm

and

Only Connect at 5pm.

(Mastermind is repeated too at 4pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

I've also just noticed that BBC2 will be repeating both University Challenge and Only Connect on Saturday afternoons.

University Challenge at 4.30pm

and

Only Connect at 5pm.

(Mastermind is repeated too at 4pm)

Canny, as going by Digital Spy, BBC 2 has been getting 3m+ for University Challenge, which is highly impressive for a direct clash with Eastenders, and their weekend schedule has been rather bare.

Canny, as going by Digital Spy, BBC 2 has been getting 3m+ for University Challenge, which is highly impressive for a direct clash with Eastenders, and their weekend schedule has been rather bare.

BBC2 ratings for Monday 19th Dec when UC and OC were last on together.

BBC2 (Top 3: 7pm-12.0):
    Christmas University Challenge: 2.52m (11.4%)
    Only Connect: 1.95m (8.6%)
    Lenny Henry: a Life on Screen: 1.22m (5.5%)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2165857&page=727

Share first names with characters played

• Advertisement

Oldest winners

Advertisement