Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open 2015 - St Andrews - July 16th-19th *mod warning #201*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

lostatsea wrote: »
    Mark James has to be the worst - he shouldn't be allowed near a microphone. He is inarticulate. His comments are always inappropriate. He never knows what to say. We all know someone in our circle of acquaintances who constantly blurts out completely inappropriate utterances. Furthermore, he was one of the nastiest individuals ever on tour. Himself and Brown were two guys who were just not liked. Des Smyth will vouch for this in one of the Ryder Cups he played in.

While James was having breakfast one morning of the Ryder Cup a young boy approached him for his autograph. The boy returned to his horrified father with the word 'F*** off' scrawled across his autograph book. I never understood why the BBC took on one of the more objectionable individuals ever to play the game.

Have to agree with you. And Alliss has become the ultimate boring old fart. Sky, love them or hate them, have a far better team of commentators. Of course their coverage is blotted by the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

vienne86 wrote: »
    I've got to say that I am enjoying the coverage uninterruped by ad breaks.

Yes I will concede that will be a loss. Sky+ does help if you start watching an hour late.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

lostatsea wrote: »
    Mark James has to be the worst - he shouldn't be allowed near a microphone. He is inarticulate. His comments are always inappropriate. He never knows what to say. We all know someone in our circle of acquaintances who constantly blurts out completely inappropriate utterances. Furthermore, he was one of the nastiest individuals ever on tour. Himself and Brown were two guys who were just not liked. Des Smyth will vouch for this in one of the Ryder Cups he played in.

While James was having breakfast one morning of the Ryder Cup a young boy approached him for his autograph. The boy returned to his horrified father with the word 'F*** off' scrawled across his autograph book. I never understood why the BBC took on one of the more objectionable individuals ever to play the game.

Couldn't agree more. He's always come across as an utter clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Adiaga 2 wrote:
    Couldn't agree more. He's always come across as an utter clown.

Ah here, tell us how you really feel

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

jesus lads, i gave up watching golf because of the sky coverage,
    constant preaching about being the most honorable game in the world,
    Ewan and the Colonel wrecking my head with their seriousness (is that a word?).
    Give me Aliss and his laid back style and even though James is a c...(not a particularly nice individual), sometimes he's a bit witty and knows the game
    inside out,
    naw, I loves the BBC open coverage, tis one of the highlights of my year,
    it reminds me of summer....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Not one birdie on the road hole.

That's absolutely crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Play suspended already due to the heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Thank God for the suspension. It may just level the playing field a bit. As it was, Dustin and his merry band of early starters yesterday were on course to get the nice weather two days in a row. At least this way he may have to share it (hopefully)

As for coverage...The BBC have outdone themselves this year with some of the worst coverage of a sporting event that I have ever seen - and I only started watching from 5pm. They made a blizzard of mistakes, some small, some massive. They even manage to regularly mess up the scoreboard and the commentators never seem to be paying attention. When zach Johnson birdied the last one of them erupted in excitement cause he "had just joined Dustin at the top" and I'm like "no he's not, you just saw him bogey the 17th"

Worst of all though was the amount of times they showed Nick Faldo instead of the actual pro players. As far as I could see they were just showing 2 groups yesterday evening. Rubbish. The sooner sky get it the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

naw, I loves the BBC open coverage, tis one of the highlights of my year,
    it reminds me of summer....

Better enjoy this one then, with the money sky have paid for it I doubt you will ever see it live on bbc again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Better enjoy this one then, with the money sky have paid for it I doubt you will ever see it live on bbc again.

I have Sky sports so don't much care, but there are plenty of casual fans who would only watch on freeview. I think it is a pity they will lose out - this has happened in other sports too e.g. rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I have Sky sports so don't much care, but there are plenty of casual fans who would only watch on freeview. I think it is a pity they will lose out - this has happened in other sports too e.g. rugby.

F1 too, I know a lot would casually watch it on freeview but since most of the coverage is on sky they wouldn't watch it too much now, maybe the highlights the odd time but not as much as they used to.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    F1 too, I know a lot would casually watch it on freeview but since most of the coverage is on sky they wouldn't watch it too much now, maybe the highlights the odd time but not as much as they used to.

You're probably right. I must say that I'm enjoying the BBC for a change, and I am loving the lack of ad breaks. I can understand Peter Aliss getting up people's noses, but I am fine with him. Equally, I am delighted to not be listening to Monty this week. That's just me though.

Thank God for the suspension. It may just level the playing field a bit. As it was, Dustin and his merry band of early starters yesterday were on course to get the nice weather two days in a row. At least this way he may have to share it (hopefully)

As for coverage...The BBC have outdone themselves this year with some of the worst coverage of a sporting event that I have ever seen - and I only started watching from 5pm. They made a blizzard of mistakes, some small, some massive. They even manage to regularly mess up the scoreboard and the commentators never seem to be paying attention. When zach Johnson birdied the last one of them erupted in excitement cause he "had just joined Dustin at the top" and I'm like "no he's not, you just saw him bogey the 17th"

Worst of all though was the amount of times they showed Nick Faldo instead of the actual pro players. As far as I could see they were just showing 2 groups yesterday evening. Rubbish. The sooner sky get it the better.

Yes, one good thing about bad weather is that it usually stops one or two running away with it - it bunches the field and thankfully it was fairly bunched yesterday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Yes, one good thing about bad weather is that it usually stops one or two running away with it - it bunches the field and thankfully it was fairly bunched yesterday anyway.
    It might not be the case though. The early starters yesterday got the best of the weather it looks like they'll only have to play 9 holes today in the worst of the weather. The Open is down to luck of the draw if the weather is variable, which it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It looked nasty and the BBC are showing Ken brown throwing an inflatable duck into the hazard at the first😒 brilliant stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Any updates on Mark James? Did he make any kids cry today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Like Peter Alliss, and Alex Hay is sadly missed.

Hazel Irvine is the worst ever...

And as for Shane O Donoghue...the Garth Crooks of golf....His questions are so long and complicated.....

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Play resuming at 10.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

The whinging in here about commentary is unreal by jove

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

ForeRight wrote: »

At first I thought there was a user named "jove" you were calling out for complaining and felt bad for him...my god I'm too tired today.

i don't mind the rain delay one bit..more footage of the lads I wan't to watch now when I get home :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

ForeRight wrote: »
    I tend to agree.

People are not happy with Sky now they are not happy with BBC.

Can we get back to talking about golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

No Peter. Hoffman and Hoffmann are not related.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

Peter allis talking about the young golfers "young speith has been 21 for the last 7 years"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just saw that Darren Clarke wasn't supposed to tee off until 17:37 is that not unusually late ? With the delay its likely to be even later!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Just saw that Darren Clarke wasn't supposed to tee off until 17:37 is that not unusually late ? With the delay its likely to be even later!
    That time has been adjusted for the delay. Some golfers don't tee off till 19:27 so a good few will be finishing their rounds Saturday morning. Am I right in saying the forecast was particularly bad for Sat a.m?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That time has been adjusted for the delay. Some golfers don't tee off till 19:27 so a good few will be finishing their rounds Saturday morning. Am I right in saying the forecast was particularly bad for Sat a.m?

MET guy interviewed this morning before play resumed said getting windy this afternoon and very windy tonight and into tomorrow, gusts of 40mph+ expected Saturday...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

slave1 wrote: »
    MET guy interviewed this morning before play resumed said getting windy this afternoon and very windy tonight and into tomorrow, gusts of 40mph+ expected Saturday...

Love it......let them suffer!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

CKFzdyiWIAAwVE8.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

I enjoy Alliss. He's a dying breed of commentator. Anyone else wonder how Andrew Cotter gets so much work with the BBC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

MikeSD wrote: »
    I enjoy Alliss. He's a dying breed of commentator. Anyone else wonder how Andrew Cotter gets so much work with the BBC?

.....cause Andrews voice is like caramel?

Advertisement