Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open 2015 - St Andrews - July 16th-19th *mod warning #201*

Options
1464748495052»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

razorblunt wrote: »
    Ah right, explains why Willett was mumbling away to his caddy walking down the fairway. They seemed ok by the end of the 18th anyway.

At the time, I think Zach was worried his driver was damaged and that is why he reacted the way he did. Danny was really taken aback by his reaction. They had a good hug on 18 so all was forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MYOPIA

Interesting that Zach Johnson finished 1 shot behind Jordan Spieth in the John Deere last Sunday week.
    They then came over on the same charter from Chicago , arriving Old Course Monday 13th. p.m.
    1 shot separated them again at the end of The Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Senna wrote: »
    I done the exact same, pressed record, got the kid some dinner and put her to bed, then sat down to watch it. The guys were shaking hands on the playoff tee and it cuts off, BBC you *******.

Same happens on sky when they go to a play off, had John Deere recorded last week and programme finished just as play off was starting. They never extended it on the planner.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Jesus, I dunno. Today lacked any atmosphere whatsoever. Felt a bit flat to me.

Jesus I thought it was enthralling, how many majors do 5 different players still have a chance to win on their 72th hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

The BBC have apologised for commentator Peter Alliss’ sexist comment about the wife of Open winner Zach Johnson, describing it as “inappropriate”. The American was lining up a putt to secure victory when the camera showed Johnson’s wife Kim Barclay, prompting Alliss to speculate how they may spend the prizemoney. “She is probably thinking - ‘if this goes in I get a new kitchen’,” he said.

Alliss had also provoked controversy on Saturday night when cameras showed third-round leader Paul Dunne being hugged by his mother as he came off the course.
    “Ah, that must be mum. Perhaps he likes older women. I don’t know but I hope I got the right one,” he said.
    Alliss, who has worked for the BBC since 1961, was criticised in April when he claimed that attempts to give women equal rights in golf have “caused mayhem”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Jesus I thought it was enthralling, how many majors do 5 different players still have a chance to win on their 72th hole?

Couldn't agree more - was a fantastic finish. I think some posters like above just lost interest when the Irish hopes evaporated?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Definitely. From a neutrals perspective it was great entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

A sexist comment would be;

“She is probably thinking - ‘if this goes in I get a new kitchen’, because you see that's where she belongs, in the kitchen"

What he said was a wise-crack, a joke, an attempt at humour and it should taken as such.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Okay guys, watching and not on boards yesterday or up to now, one comment and one query...

Comment, I would have loved Speith and Day in the playoff, I think it would have been an extraordinary climax.

Query, Zach tapping down the green twice in his line of put on either 17/18, I thought you could not do that without checking with partner that it is an old pitch mark or at least self identifying and saying same?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

slave1 wrote: »
    Okay guys, watching and not on boards yesterday or up to now, one comment and one query...

Comment, I would have loved Speith and Day in the playoff, I think it would have been an extraordinary climax.

Query, Zach tapping down the green twice in his line of put on either 17/18, I thought you could not do that without checking with partner that it is an old pitch mark?

You do not have to ask permission but it is generally good etiquette to do so.

He repaired something in the line of his putt which was fine(he checked with rules official if they were happy it was a pitch mark) but he then tapped down in another spot which doesn't look great, but if it was a pitch mark then it's fine.

• Advertisement

You do not have to ask permission but it is generally good etiquette to do so.

He repaired something in the line of his putt which was fine(he checked with rules official if they were happy it was a pitch mark) but he then tapped down in another spot which doesn't look great, but if it was a pitch mark then it's fine.

Yeah, it was the second one I was thinking of, he got the okay for the first one but then wandered over and tapped down something else without querying it, did the same on a short putt on 15/16 and when he done it the second time it just caught my eye...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

1 - Dream would be a Padraig win,
    2 - Then the silver medal looked gone gone before it got going
    3 - Then (I did anyway) wanted to see a Slam in my life.
    4 - Then when that was off - I like Oosthuizen as a player and a boke.

Anyway - nothing happened - was still a great event.

This summarises the ordering of my hopes perfectly. Disappointed, but it was great - really missing the golf today!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I noticed again yesterday when Zach Johnson slipped with his approach shot to 17 that he still wears steel spikes, why are pros still aloud to wear them when they damage the greens? These are the same pros that complain about greens being spike marked.

I know he's not the only one, I know Tiger does on occasion, I presume some others still do also.

Always loved Louis, what a swing but ultimately Zach's putting was the difference, you can't afford four 3 putts like Louis had the last day...

YayaBanana wrote: »
    I noticed again yesterday when Zach Johnson slipped with his approach shot to 17 that he still wears steel spikes, why are pros still aloud to wear them when they damage the greens? These are the same pros that complain about greens being spike marked.

I know he's not the only one, I know Tiger does on occasion, I presume some others still do also.

Because the PGA has not yet banned them, but some regional qualifiers ban them and I remember someone or another being DQ in us open qualifiers a few years back

Because the PGA has not yet banned them, but some regional qualifiers ban them and I remember someone or another being DQ in us open qualifiers a few years back

Yes a 2 timer winner as well...Lee Janzen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Always loved Louis, what a swing but ultimately Zach's putting was the difference, you can't afford four 3 putts like Louis had the last day...

The putts on 18, 1 and 2 for Zach was definitely the difference. Feel sorry for Louis too but if he can stay fit he could really challenge consistently in majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

valoren wrote: »
    A sexist comment would be;

“She is probably thinking - ‘if this goes in I get a new kitchen’, because you see that's where she belongs, in the kitchen"

What he said was a wise-crack, a joke, an attempt at humour and it should taken as such.

Exactly. So many people are so sensitive about everything these days that people need to just relax a bit.

I'm sure if you said the same comment to Zach or Paul that they'd laugh it off straight away.

It really irritates me when commentators or analysts are pulled up on the smallest of things. Now you can't be going around slagging poor old Marty Morrissey like Joe Brolly but most of the stuff said are harmless and what you don't want is commentators and analysts being completely bland and boring just to please the masses of one off viewers in big events like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

MYOPIA wrote: »
    Interesting that Zach Johnson finished 1 shot behind Jordan Spieth in the John Deere last Sunday week.
    They then came over on the same charter from Chicago , arriving Old Course Monday 13th. p.m.
    1 shot separated them again at the end of The Open.

I hate it when someone i completely ruled out wins!
    His previous Open record, particularly at St. Andrews, had me disregarding him.
    04' - MC, '05: - MC (St.Andrews), '06: MC, '07: 20, '08: 51, '09: 47, '10: 76 (St.Andrews), '11: 16, '12: 9, '13: 6, '14: 47.
    But i should have paid closer attention! He has had 4 previous top 20 finishes. 07' (Carnoustie), 11' (St.Georges), 12' (Lytham & St.Annes) & '13 (Muirfield). Muirfield, St Georges and Carnoustie are particularly challenging links courses.
    Damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but did speith and Louis both drop shots during the half an hours play Saturday morning in the 'cyclone'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 MYOPIA

Spieth took 3 to get down from front of 14 -- after DJ duffed his chip and three putted .
    But Oosthuizen made a tricky 6 footer when he returned.
    It was 7am in a gale remember ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yeah, it was the second one I was thinking of, he got the okay for the first one but then wandered over and tapped down something else without querying it, did the same on a short putt on 15/16 and when he done it the second time it just caught my eye...

The second one on 18 I believe was his own original pitch mark that he tapped down.

Advertisement