Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open 2015 - St Andrews - July 16th-19th *mod warning #201*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

HighLine wrote: »
    I think YR are definitely off on the winds and to a lesser extent rain. From looking at the charts on Netweather, it looks like

Thursday am: Light winds sub 10mph, no rain
    Thursday pm: Winds strengthening to 20+mph with light rain

Friday am: Strong winds up to 30mph at times with heavy rain
    Friday pm: Very strong winds with gusts near 40mph towards evening but less rain post lunch

And to make it even better the wind direction is totally different both days smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Champions Challenge on now for anyone with BBC

Just switched on the EPG to see if any preview shows this evening, disappointed I missed this from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just seen Justin Rose using a spider putter... wonder will it be in the bag tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Watched Gary Player's group coming up the eighteenth. I never fully appreciated what a dreadful bore Gary Player is. He was telling the most silly stories followed by loud laughter. The poor pros tried to be as nice as possible by politely listening to the great man. Harrington was screaming to himself to get him out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

I think Louis Oosthuizen has a really good shot at winning this year. Was by far the best player in Chambers Bay the last 3 days and he has a great course record at St. Andrews. Would be great to see Tom Watson and Paul Dunne go well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

lostatsea wrote: »
    Watched Gary Player's group coming up the eighteenth. I never fully appreciated what a dreadful bore Gary Player is. He was telling the most silly stories followed by loud laughter. The poor pros tried to be as nice as possible by politely listening to the great man. Harrington was screaming to himself to get him out of there.

I heard firsthand from someone who was working in the local 5* hotel where the R&A blazers and a lot of the main players were staying during an Open a few years ago. Gary Player and his wife were a notable presence in the hotel because they were forever complaining, sending food back, never happy with anything and basically were a pair of complete assh0les.

If you do nothing else tonight, watch the video in this link... a reminder of the importance of bowing to the past. Golf tends to do this part very well.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13261566

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

If you do nothing else tonight, watch the video in this link... a reminder of the importance of bowing to the past. Golf tends to do this part very well.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13261566

The Golf Channel did a brilliant piece on Kel Nagle who stopped Arnie's Grand Slam bid in 1960 at St Andrew's. I didn't know much about Nagle - he was 39 when he won the Open having taken up the game in his twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

lostatsea wrote: »
    The Golf Channel did a brilliant piece on Kel Nagle who stopped Arnie's Grand Slam bid in 1960 at St Andrew's. I didn't know much about Nagle - he was 39 when he won the Open having taken up the game in his twenties.
    Watched it.He lived to the age of 94.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I think YR are definitely off on the winds and to a lesser extent rain. From looking at the charts on Netweather, it looks like

Thursday am: Light winds sub 10mph, no rain
    Thursday pm: Winds strengthening to 20+mph with light rain

Friday am: Strong winds up to 30mph at times with heavy rain
    Friday pm: Very strong winds with gusts near 40mph towards evening but less rain post lunch

Has Ian Poulter complained yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Few tricky looking pins today, especially 17

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Birdie for Dunne on the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Blow it up ref. He's bordied the second and is too of the leaderboard!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Birdie for Dunne on the first.

And the second.... a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There wont be a Merc washed in Greystones this weekend at this rate :)

Dream start

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hope he keeps up the form. Forgot to put a bet for him as top amateur

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Another birdie for Dunne, -3 now.

Lowry starts with a bogey.

Lowry got greedy on the first, went for the front pin and ended up in The Swilcan Burn. Tom Watson in it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

PARlance wrote: »
    There wont be a Merc washed in Greystones this weekend at this rate :)

Dream start

If anyone's on Twitter, Brian Keogh is following Paul Dunne (at the moment):
    https://twitter.com/IrishGolfDesk

Dunne moves to -4

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I was going to...... but it's the first time in 10 years I said I'd give the turf accountants a skip. Always the feckin way! :D

Come on Paul Dunne! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ah Shane - awful start. +2 after 4. Come on Paul Dunne though - BBC just showed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Terrible start from Lowry alright. Over half the field are under par. Birdies flying in everywhere. He needs to get going quickly or he will be having the weekend off. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,027 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Lingmerth, the leader, has had 7 birdies on the front 9. Unreal shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Lingmerth out in 29, 8 threes and 1 5!!! Is that a major record?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

7 under thru 9!!!!!! 62 is on but back 9 is usually tougher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Lingmerth :eek: 29 after 9. 7 Birds 2 Pars

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Lovely stuff from Dunne - just got a bogey there, but great to be -3 after 11.

Shane has a nightmare start, but in fairness, he has managed some good recoveries in the past.

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Lingmerth out in 29, 8 threes and 1 5!!! Is that a major record?

Denis Durnian had 28 a Birkdale, 10th time there's been a 29. McGinley did it a Lytham.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Shane has got one back at 7. Hopefully can build a bit of momentum now.

• Advertisement

Lowry got greedy on the first, went for the front pin and ended up in The Swilcan Burn. Tom Watson in it also.

Not sure if it was greedy or just a crap shot... watching the coverage now, most people just firing it straight at the pin without any issues.

Advertisement