Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viral Facebook video speaking out about domestic violence (Read mod note in the OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Best thing this guy should do is called damage limitation
    He himself should go on Facebook and admit what he did as it is clear to anyone with a semblance of intelligence that he punched her and she didn't "fall"
    It would be prudent for him to apologise to the offended and his children in a public manner.
    Even without this Facebook event he was going to be found guilty of aggravated assault and would have appeared in court and the papers anyway as she had taken proceedings against him.
    Seeking therapy for aggressive behaviour would also be a must and he then could be applauded for admitting his wrongdoing and attempting to change his ways.
    Lying and trying to defend his actions is only digging a deeper hole for himself
    Reconciliation would not be the end goal but standing up and facing the music would make him a better man in the end

This course of action would require the same mettle as was needed to show the world how you were beaten by someone who you thought loved you and fathered your two children .
    Spirituality and religion doesn't come into it just what is the right thing to do now .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Best thing this guy should do is called damage limitation
    He himself should go on Facebook and admit what he did as it is clear to anyone with a semblance of intelligence that he punched her and she didn't "fall"
    It would be prudent for him to apologise to the offended and his children in a public manner.
    Even without this Facebook event he was going to be found guilty of aggravated assault and would have appeared in court and the papers anyway as she had taken proceedings against him.
    Seeking therapy for aggressive behaviour would also be a must and he then could be applauded for admitting his wrongdoing and attempting to change his ways.
    Lying and trying to defend his actions is only digging a deeper hole for himself
    Reconciliation would not be the end goal but standing up and facing the music would make him a better man in the end

This course of action would require the same mettle as was needed to show the world how you were beaten by someone who you thought loved you and fathered your two children .
    Spirituality and religion doesn't come into it just what is the right thing to do now .
    Absolutely spot on. My guess is that he has dropped out of view to get public relations advice, and this is EXACTLY what they will tell him. His attempt to minimize the incident by saying it was a push not a punch was very damaging to him already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Dogowner55

Absolutely spot on. My guess is that he has dropped out of view to get public relations advice, and this is EXACTLY what they will tell him. His attempt to minimize the incident by saying it was a push not a punch was very damaging to him already.

He is guilty to the riled up hate mob, nothing he could say publicly will change their minds, they judged him quilty on first sight. He is best now to stay out of the public eye and get justice from the proper authorities while it get properly sorted with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Please read the thread.

There's 50 odd pages and I've got ****ty Internet, so no.
    Why do you have no doubt that vigilantes are out to get him? I've seen no reports of threats, just that he's losing customers.

People aren't going to send him a letter telling him they'll beat him up, they'll see him on a night out and hop on him. I've seen people make statuses about it on Facebook. Most of it is hard man talk but there's definitely people out there who want to hurt him because of the accusations against him.

I'm not condoning it, but if it's true go the the guards, let them deal with it, it's what they're there for. Starting a Facebook hate campaign isn't the right thing to do. Not the way she's gone about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I honestly believe that guy is her partner
    posting on here. He has been defending the lowlife since the beginning.
    No, the poster is a woman. A weirdly anti-woman woman.

• Advertisement

Dogowner55 wrote: »
    He is guilty to the riled up hate mob, nothing he could say publicly will change their minds, they judged him quilty on first sight. He is best now to stay out of the public eye and get justice from the proper authorities while it get properly sorted with them

Again he will be found guilty in court for aggravated assault regardless of Facebook . If he comes clean and apologises for his actions it most certainly will turn out far better for him in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well, I guess in a world where we have the likes of Cora Sherlock, Michelle Bachmann and a "RedPillWomen" subreddit, it's unsurprising.

Again he will be found guilty in court for aggravated assault regardless of Facebook .

You don't know that, guards already said it was minor and that's the only offical thing said, so there might be more to the story then the vindictive side seen so far.

"RedPillWomen" subreddit
    Ah Christ. How do they get past the fact that they also have vaginas like.

Ah Christ. How do they get past the fact that they also have vaginas like.

Does having a vagina mean your have to follow leftist politics? Also how un sjw of you to think a woman has to have a vagina

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

How am I "anti-woman" precisely?

Oh and I'm a man, by the way.

Does having a vagina mean your have to follow leftist politics?
    Obviously not - random thing to say, seeing as it has nothing to do with what you've quoted from me. Being a woman who is anti women indicates a lack of self awareness/lack of a sense of irony... was my point.
    Also how un sjw of you to think a woman has to have a vagina
    I'm a SJW? First I've heard of it. People can disagree with you without being SJWs you know.

Oops, my mistake. Thought they were quoting someone else when they quoted you. Apologies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

they're talking about pumpkinseeds i think. one of the great things about feminism is being able to dictate the terms of womanhood to other women. it's something feminist men are quite fond of doing as you can see.

strelok wrote: »
    they're talking about pumpkinseeds i think. one of the great things about feminism is being able to dictate the terms of womanhood to other women. it's something feminist men are quite fond of doing as you can see.
    I'm not a feminist and noticing the irony of women hating on women is not unreasonable. Nothing wrong with women being critical of other people who happen to be women, for particular behaviours (e.g. nagging men) but actual hostility towards broad groups of women... from a woman, is laughable (and arrogant - translates as "Women... except for ME").

Guys do the equivalent type of criticism when they point out white-knighting.

Obviously not - random thing to say, seeing as it has nothing to do with what you've quoted from me. Being a woman who is anti women indicates a lack of self awareness/lack of a sense of irony... was my point.

I'm a SJW? First I've heard of it. People can disagree with you without being SJWs you know.

You said how can a r/redpillwomen get over the fact they have a vagina, as in a women that is right wing political is self hating. Your thinking of right wing politics being women hating is a sjw train of thought

You said how can a r/redpillwomen get over the fact they have a vagina, as in a women that is right wing political is self hating. Your thinking of right wing politics being women hating is a sjw train of thought
    Isn't that Red Pill lunacy about how shyte the world is with women in it?

Oops, my mistake. Thought they were quoting someone else when they quoted you. Apologies.

No problem. When I first seen the comment I thought / hoped they were talking about another user too :P

Isn't that Red Pill lunacy about how shyte the world is with women in it?

No your thinking of mgtow. Redpill is more against leftwing looney types

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Have caught up on the thread and didnt see it mentioned but calls to Womens Aid(iifr)was up by 270%.
    So iregardless of our view of why she posted the video, the reason she gave for posting it, which was to raise awareness, has been a success.
    I for one, applaud her :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Smidge wrote: »
    Have caught up on the thread and didnt see it mentioned but calls to Womens Aid(iifr)was up by 270%.
    So iregardless of our view of why she posted the video, the reason she gave for posting it, which was to raise awareness, has been a success.
    I for one, applaud her :)

Finally someone on the same wave-length as me :rolleyes:

Finally someone on the same wave-length as me :rolleyes:

Im not sure what you mean by that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

It’s not surprising that some women internalise misogyny. A quick scan of this thread will see the suggestion that women aren’t to be believed repeated over and over again. Who in their right mind would want to be part of that, even if it does mean that the alternative is being like a turkey voting for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Smidge wrote: »
    Im not sure what you mean by that.....

Throughout this thread, I have fought a hard battle with people who are not willing to accept the fact that she has brought a lot of much needed awareness to this subject.

Trudiha wrote: »
    It’s not surprising that some women internalise misogyny. A quick scan of this thread will see the suggestion that women aren’t to be believed repeated over and over again. Who in their right mind would want to be part of that, even if it does mean that the alternative is being like a turkey voting for Christmas.

If the stereotype is for women not to believed, it's better then the men are all violent rapists. I don't understand why there is not so much more internalised misandry, who would want to be part of that.

You are thinking less of women if you think that all women have to have the same outlook and if they don't they are just self hating.

Throughout this thread, I have fought a hard battle with people who are not willing to accept the fact that she has brought a lot of much needed awareness to this subject.

Sad fact is that you had to battle in the first place .

I am very sceptical about people who post allegations in the media rather than going to the police.

However, from looking at body language and the video, my instincts lead me to believe her 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

This entire thread

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2011/10/facepalm.jpg

Folks, this needs to be left with the proper authorities. Frankly I'm amazed media outlets are allowing people to comment on it - but I guess no official investigation is ongoing yet?

None of us know what has happened here behind closed doors, none of us know the full story or even part of it. All we know if this young woman has accused her partner of physically abusing her via social media. There's a reason we have Gardai and courts and a system of justice. It may not be a perfect system but I'll take it any day of the week over trial by social media, the ignorant baying outraged mob and good old fashioned witch hunting.

It's the wrong type of attention.. in my view.

'A woman must never hit a man' was her overriding message, over and over and so I have to question the type of people she has influenced to pick up the phone. Is this gonna be the new craze? Post a video selfie whenever you've been the victim of domestic abuse? If it is, then convictions are more likely to drop than rise. Calls to telephone hotlines rose when Take That broke up, it really means very little, that's just how public consciousness works. If Gardai reports are on the rise in a fortnight, I'll believe she has done something positive, but otherwise I'm standing my opinion that she has in fact done more harm than she has good. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Your rollie-eyes sarcastic little fella threw me :D
    I was double checking :p

My two cents?

Yes he hit her and it wasn't his first time. I do believe he was gaslighting for quite a while with her. He had another woman pregnant at the same time as her fo fecks sake.

If it were me, would I have taken it to FB?
    Probably not, but then again I very rarely use it and almost NEVER post anything personal to even my friends(if I have something important to say, it'll be in a phone call or in person).
    But thats just me. I'm older :p

Very easy for people to tear her down, she isn't in a very high position emotionally to begin with. She is hurt and betrayed and on the verge of being broken. I wouldn't like to be in her shoes that's for damn sure.

The one thing I do know however is that when a person truly loves another person, a lot of the time they excuse and allow behaviour that their heart chooses to ignore but their brain is screaming "WTF are you doing???"

By posting that video imo, she is saying even if you love the other person to death, dont tolerate abuse. Get help. Talk to someone(she does actually say this in the video).

And they did today.....in their droves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement