Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PadraigCoghlan

Debs86 wrote: »
    Train driver

Ok best of luck. I went for that but never got through so applied for customer service officer onboard and try get in some way passed all stages and waiting now for past 5 weeks to see if I will get called for interview. The waiting is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Any of you lads doing the walk around in Connolly today? Looking at a few newbies here 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Any of you lads doing the walk around in Connolly today? Looking at a few newbies here 😀

A few of us were out for a stroll earlier alright.. Don't know if it was us you saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

prinzeugen wrote: »
    A few of us were out for a stroll earlier alright.. Don't know if it was us you saw.

You starting on diesels there, or electric?

Effects wrote: »
    You starting on diesels there, or electric?

Neither.. RPU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 NewUser1998

Got the email this morning for the virtual interview. Any prep suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Neither.. RPU

Ah ok! So completely different training. Does it all take place at Connolly, and how long does it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Irish Rail Informer

Got the email this morning for the virtual interview. Any prep suggestions?

You need to demonstrate the competencies below;
    i.e. have examples of where you demonstrated them in a previous job, or in general/life before.
    Try and have at least one example of each.

§ Calm in an Emergency

§ Follows Rules and Procedures

§ Conscientiousness

§ Customer Focus

§ Achievement Orientation

About 5 of you including 1 woman being shown the tvms,booking office etc.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    About 5 of you including 1 woman being shown the tvms,booking office etc.

That was us.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Ah ok! So completely different training. Does it all take place at Connolly, and how long does it take?

Two weeks in the classroom at Inchicore and a few weeks out and about before you go it alone.

Covid is slowing things down however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Arsenal11

Galway. What about you

They can't get staff in galway apparently so really increases your chances..

Irish rail HR are a joke, the wait is a killer and very unfair.

Anyway best of luck

Hopefully it does. Thanks. Best of luck too. Where did you apply.

Hopefully it does. Best of luck too. Thanks. Where did you apply.

Im already in the company, I went for tralee but was unsuccessful, RPU staff got it and then a son of manager, irish rail at its finest , all about pull. They are struggling for staff in galway tough I know that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Arsenal11 wrote: »
    Im already in the company, I went for tralee but was unsuccessful, RPU staff got it and then a son of manager, irish rail at its finest , all about pull. They are struggling for staff in galway tough I know that

Thats classic Irish Rail jobs for the boys offsprings. I am struggling to see how they are struggling to recruit staff. Says more about them than prospective candidates for such a basic role.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Thats classic Irish Rail jobs for the boys offsprings. I am struggling to see how they are struggling to recruit staff. Says more about them than prospective candidates for such a basic role.

They hire cronies and buddies, but once they're in the door unless they kill someone they're there for keeps, bad and all as they may turn out. To quote one staff member I chatted to recently "rotten to the core" in terms of looking after fellas. Another staff member said they run the biggest care in the community program in the country.

How long should I be expecting to wait. I applied start of December and have my final questionnaire do for the past 6 weeks or so and when I emailed them they said there hasn't been any update yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vicfc

I sat phase 2 in Inchicore on the 8th of Feb, I see some people have been invited for the virtual interview and others have received rejection emails so I don't know what to make of it as I haven't heard anything back 🤷*♀️

How long should I be expecting to wait. I applied start of December and have my final questionnaire do for the past 6 weeks or so and when I emailed them they said there hasn't been any update yet.

Honestly you could be waiting any period of time..

One the lads got a cso job, and whole process took 16 months, its a horrible company HR wise they are brutal to communicate.!

Hang in there and will be worth it if you get it.

Once appointed its a job for life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Debs86

Can anybody remember the questions we were asked in the interview form? I’m tying to remember but the stress of the day...my mind is blank any help is appreciated I’m just trying to get prepared for the virtual interview

Thanks
    Debbie

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Hi Debbie,

I can't remember the exact wording but here goes:

1: A time when you had to deal with an emotional situation
    2: When you had to deal with strict rules and procedures
    3: When you had to take control from someone
    4: When you offered good customer experience
    5: When you had to deal with a stressful situation
    6: When you had to operate at your very best

Again, wording might not be spot, I can remember my answers but not the question lol

Thanks a million, I private messages asking if you got the interview but I seen you did.

Congrats 🥳

Hi Debbie,

I can't remember the exact wording but here goes:

1: A time when you had to deal with an emotional situation
    2: When you had to deal with strict rules and procedures
    3: When you had to take control from someone
    4: When you offered good customer experience
    5: When you had to deal with a stressful situation
    6: When you had to operate at your very best

Again, wording might not be spot, I can remember my answers but not the question lol

I forgot to say I am the same, I can pretty much remember the answers etc I have just not the questions asked! Blank! Ha... that’s fir the help and goodluck to you, u have responded to me a few times now your very kind and deserve all the luck in the world thanks

Vicfc wrote: »
    I sat phase 2 in Inchicore on the 8th of Feb, I see some people have been invited for the virtual interview and others have received rejection emails so I don't know what to make of it as I haven't heard anything back 🀷*♀️

Maybe contact them? Just from reading this forum seems most heard back either way last week... don’t loose faith tho...I sat mine 15th? So I’m surprised u haven’t heard anything, I’m not really sure tho best of luck to you

They hire cronies and buddies, but once they're in the door unless they kill someone they're there for keeps, bad and all as they may turn out. To quote one staff member I chatted to recently "rotten to the core" in terms of looking after fellas. Another staff member said they run the biggest care in the community program in the country.

Yeh a neighbour of mine said he was definitely in if he got through the exams. Knew someone.

One for Irish rail staff

Rumour has it cork Kent Station are going to be taking on hosts and platform staff.

Any one know if this is true and if so how many jobs are available for each position?

All help very much appreciated

Irish rail got back to me about the CSO job and due to covid there is no update. God knows when interviews will happen.

• Advertisement

Yeh a neighbour of mine said he was definitely in if he got through the exams. Knew someone.

Doesn't work as much like that anymore. You're neigjbour will still need to pass the same tests and interviews as everyone else. After that then there is an element of manager's relatives getting preference and fast tracked .

Advertisement