Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

If they do advertise publicly again I am going to reapply. They did say our test results were valid for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

prinzeugen wrote: »
    If they do advertise publicly again I am going to reapply. They did say our test results were valid for two years.

The wording of the ad seemed to be for external applications as normally it's just the job description and where to send the application. Closing date is the 12th of September I think.
    Train driving isnt for everyone as I heard of one bloke quit his job to start and then realised after a few weeks that it wasnt for him. Lucky for him he got his old job back.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annor99

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The wording of the ad seemed to be for external applications as normally it's just the job description and where to send the application. Closing date is the 12th of September I think.
    Train driving isnt for everyone as I heard of one bloke quit his job to start and then realised after a few weeks that it wasnt for him. Lucky for him he got his old job back.

Thanks for sharing the info. Im curious because I know someone who went through all the interviews and got offered job but had to decline for personal reasons. They are now on a sort of panel and are waiting to hear back from Irish Rail regarding the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Internal applicants only I’m told

Internal applicants only I’m told

Nobody will go for it who wasn't interested previously.

• Advertisement

Have to agree there.

Also anecdotally I’ve been told there have been problems with some of the candidates insofar as the standards they achieved during the testing process haven’t been replicated in their performance in training. A number have had their training extended as a result. Again I stress this is second hand information I received but from a very reliable source whom I would trust.

Also anecdotally I’ve been told there have been problems with some of the candidates insofar as the standards they achieved during the testing process haven’t been replicated in their performance in training. A number have had their training extended as a result. Again I stress this is second hand information I received but from a very reliable source whom I would trust.

They may end up on the barriers in a main station yet. The barrier job is a dumping ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Batman51

Anyone heard if waterford is included in looking for more driver's? I'm on a panel, haven't heard anything since November last year. Missed the first training slot due to my medical taking too long to get from the Dr to HR. Any info would be great. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They may end up on the barriers in a main station yet. The barrier job is a dumping ground.

Probably CSOs now as well.

Not sure I would accept the demotion unless I had no options. I guess for internal people its easier to go back but not for externals who pronely only applied as they really wanted it.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Not sure I would accept the demotion unless I had no options. I guess for internal people its easier to go back but not for externals who pronely only applied as they really wanted it.

I believe for the external applicants it’s bye bye if they don’t pass out as drivers. Even with internal applicants if your not a permanent member of staff it could be curtains if u don’t pass

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Have you seen some of the cso 's? 😀 irish rail like to talk up good customer service yet HR and senior management havent a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Have you seen some of the cso 's? 😀 irish rail like to talk up good customer service yet HR and senior management havent a clue.

Shufflling around lads who wouldn't be put in charge of a donut stand in the private sector. So much dead weight in IR.

Shufflling around lads who wouldn't be put in charge of a donut stand in the private sector. So much dead weight in IR.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Rather than go external again, would they not just move down the list of people who applied previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

Has anyone had any word back regarding the apprenticeships?
    Online assessments completed in July with automated response. Haven't heard anything since. I believe they are due to start early Autumn so just wondering if anyone heard back either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

I know of 2 drivers in my depot applying for it. It popped up in the weekly circular last week..

ITV2 wrote: »
    I know of 2 drivers in my depot applying for it. It popped up in the weekly circular last week..

Bus drivers?

Agreed, at all levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Scuba1

Effects wrote: »
    Rather than go external again, would they not just move down the list of people who applied previously?

They have obviously got to the bottom of the viable candidates from the original advertisement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Scuba1

He got his old job back then the industry he works in collapsed due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Bus drivers?
    Yes Drivers.

Scuba1 wrote: »
    He got his old job back then the industry he works in collapsed due to Covid.

Before covid

Anyone fancy a peek then its extranet.theopc.co.ul/irishrail10/ use access code IR2020T2K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

What's the pass rate from the school? I would of expected it to be high giving all the pre selection tests and interviews.

IE 222 wrote: »
    What's the pass rate from the school? I would of expected it to be high giving all the pre selection tests and interviews.

Pass rate from the training school I would say it’s normally 100%. It’s the application of the knowledge is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Pass rate from the training school I would say it’s normally 100%. It’s the application of the knowledge is the problem.

Oh ok. Is this nationwide issue or local one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 andybar

To all of you who took the time to answer any questions I posted. Thank you so much! I honestly appreciate it.

I start on Monday the 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrBumBum

andybar wrote: »
    To all of you who took the time to answer any questions I posted. Thank you so much! I honestly appreciate it.

I start on Monday the 14th
    Congrats, Dart or diesel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 andybar

MrBumBum wrote: »
    Congrats, Dart or diesel?

Thank you.

I'll be going classes for DART

Advertisement