Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

I completed stage 1 & 2 just 2 months ago, can we apply again I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 SnowFlakes2019

Just applied there myself. Always fancied being a train driver. Long process ahead. Competition will be fierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I completed stage 1 & 2 just 2 months ago, can we apply again I wonder?

It may be risky if you have not had a rejection email from them. Someone may know better.

I got right through to the interview stage and got a rejection email so have applied again. It looks as if I will have to do the testing again even though they said our results were valid for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

prinzeugen wrote: »
    It may be risky if you have not had a rejection email from them. Someone may know better.

I got right through to the interview stage and got a rejection email so have applied again. It looks as if I will have to do the testing again even though they said our results were valid for 2 years.

Oh I gof the rejection but I felt I aced everything bar the situational judgement tests and may have used different answers, no harm to reapply I guess

Oh I gof the rejection but I felt I aced everything bar the situational judgement tests and may have used different answers, no harm to reapply I guess
    Go for it! No harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Website seems to be down. Connection timing out. High demand I'm guessing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Applied for it haven't a snowballs chance in hell of getting it but a slightly better chance of getting it by applying I suppose rather than not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Is the drugs test a hair test? Will I be disqualified for smoking weed in amsterdamn last year because it's still detectable in my hair?

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Is the drugs test a hair test? Will I be disqualified for smoking weed in amsterdamn last year because it's still detectable in my hair?

Urine & blood.

Just got an email from the OPC to say I have met the standards (again) and got the link to do level 1 (again).
    Looks like they may only take past test results into consideration rather than allowing us to skip the process.

I must be nuts wanting to go through it all again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Just got an email from the OPC to say I have met the standards (again) and got the link to do level 1 (again).
    Looks like they may only take past test results into consideration rather than allowing us to skip the process.

I must be nuts wanting to go through it all again!

Being nuts is a prerequisite for doing the job!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

How long is this open for??

job seeker wrote: »
    How long is this open for??

There is no closing date according to the ad but numbers are limited. Apply now.

There is no closing date according to the ad but numbers are limited. Apply now.

Thanks. I am just stuck at the moment. I can't get hold of my past landlord of one of my address from 2013, while I was at college..

Would you have a better chance of a job if you applied for Dublin as opposed to Galway for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Would you have a better chance of a job if you applied for Dublin as opposed to Galway for example?

Buddy of mine went the whole way, interview, medical all that.

He originally applied for Cork and was offered the DART course in Dublin.

He was told there was nothing in Cork at the moment (Nov 2019) but turned down the DART course as didnt fancy moving to Dublin with a young family.

No idea if hes going to get a call back, based on the link theyre looking for a few stations again but I've said it to him and hes heard nothing back from IE yet anyway but hes not hopeful after turning them down once, was told hes on a panel for 2 years after passing the process for a place in Cork but its not looking too good for his chances. :o

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Buddy of mine went the whole way, interview, medical all that.

He originally applied for Cork and was offered the DART course in Dublin.

He was told there was nothing in Cork at the moment (Nov 2019) but turned down the DART course as didnt fancy moving to Dublin with a young family.

No idea if hes going to get a call back, based on the link theyre looking for a few stations again but I've said it to him and hes heard nothing back from IE yet anyway but hes not hopeful after turning them down once, was told hes on a panel for 2 years after passing the process for a place in Cork but its not looking too good for his chances. :o

Thanks for the info! That's pretty unfortunate for him after going the whole hog. By right they (EI) shouldn't give an option for a region, if there is no available positions, seems kinda pointless.

I didn't pass the quitions anyway on the application. I wasn't really expecting to sit a test so soon. In fact where would you even find that information to practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thanks for the info! That's pretty unfortunate for him after going the whole hog. By right they (EI) shouldn't give an option for a region, if there is no available positions, seems kinda pointless.

I didn't pass the quitions anyway on the application. I wasn't really expecting to sit a test so soon. In fact where would you even find that information to practice?

He was offered Dublin on 6 days notice, I think they must have been looking to fill one of the DART courses.

I might go for it myself this time around and see how far along I get, if at all. :o

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He was offered Dublin on 6 days notice, I think they must have been looking to fill one of the DART courses.

I might go for it myself this time around and see how far along I get, if at all. :o

6 days is very short notice.

Definitly do! why wouldn't you? The best of luck!

T

Are you talking about the initial questions about Irish Rail they ask you on the application forum of the RAAT and other tests?

If you're talking about the initial questions, the trick is to be 100% safety and rule orientated. Be a robot.

Safety, rules and regulations always take precedence over everything even if you think something is common sense, it's not, you are a robot and the only right answer is from the manual.

That's how you get through stage 1.

• Advertisement

Are you talking about the initial questions about Irish Rail they ask you on the application forum of the RAAT and other tests?

If you're talking about the initial questions, the trick is to be 100% safety and rule orientated. Be a robot.

Safety, rules and regulations always take precedence over everything even if you think something is common sense, it's not, you are a robot and the only right answer is from the manual.

Yes the initial questions indeed! I wasn't even expecting them! One minute I was filling in my details and before I knew it. I was answering questions on sinarios and what not. That I hadn't a clue about! I don't understand how someone comes from an unrelated role/industry and passes them. Maybe I was just oblivious though.. :D

I see what you're saying! It makes sense too. I kinda looked from the point of view that, you done all this training so I should know this and what to do in these situations.

Maybe next time sure! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Yeah that's exactly what always went for the option that seemed the most cautious. Few caught me out where I had to think about which option was more cautious than the other. I haven't heard anything back to say I failed yet. Which surprised as that was what happened when I apllied for any of the customer service roles.

GT89 wrote: »
    Yeah that's exactly what always went for the option that seemed the most cautious. Few caught me out where I had to think about which option was more cautious than the other. I haven't heard anything back to say I failed yet. Which surprised as that was what happened when I apllied for any of the customer service roles.

You'll be emailed regardless of your result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

applications are no longer being accepted.

The RAAT, miniSCAAT and SJT tests were quite hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

What type of testing are they? Is there anywhere you could get sample questions like a theory drivers test?

It gets harder! You will find that out if (hopefully) you get to phase 2 in the test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Anyone know if the internal CIE and external application processes are two separate channels or are they just all thrown together in the end?

What type of testing are they? Is there anywhere you could get sample questions like a theory drivers test?

If I recall, there are samples online from a UK railway company. I still have the PDF from when I applied first time round but cannot share it as I have applications ongoing with them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

If I recall, there are samples online from a UK railway company. I still have the PDF from when I applied first time round but cannot share it as I have applications ongoing with them now.

I just got the email from them inviting me to do the tests - they have those test forms on the email!

Advertisement