Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Johnjamesp

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Is that for the driving jobs?

Yeah. I'm not built for bigging myself up, the Irish in me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Johnjamesp wrote: »
    Yeah. I'm not built for bigging myself up, the Irish in me!

If it's the same form I'm thinking about , it wouldn't be timed and you will be asked to explain a bit more about your answers at the interview. Its those have you worked as a team, under pressure , problem solving etc.
    I've never went or want to go for the driving but done an interview for something else a while ago. They also go through your self assessment scores with you.
    Apologies if you've already done all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭blue movie

We had 20 minutes to fill it out but it was ample time to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Andybar88

blue movie wrote: »
    We had 20 minutes to fill it out but it was ample time to be honest.

So for now their looking for you to write the basic answer then in the interview to go into detail??

Andybar88 wrote: »
    So for now their looking for you to write the basic answer then in the interview to go into detail??

We had 25 minutes, I used every second of it. When you are attempting to display your competency in the skill they are querying it is only just enough time. And yes I assume detail will be elaborated on in the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

They go into it in more detail at both interviews. Think about your answers/examples well in advance. Your head will be melted by the time you are asked to write your examples and a few people said they just wrote the first thing that came into their head, even although it may not have been the best thing.

If you think of a better example later then you get the opportunity to change it at the first interview (as I did) but not at the second interview.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    They go into it in more detail at both interviews. Think about your answers/examples well in advance. Your head will be melted by the time you are asked to write your examples and a few people said they just wrote the first thing that came into their head, even although it may not have been the best thing.

If you think of a better example later then you get the opportunity to change it at the first interview (as I did) but not at the second interview.

There is 2 more interviews after that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SmahedDrake

Hi everyone, would it be cheeky to ask what the exact skills are that they asked for in phase 2?

Johnjamesp wrote: »
    There is 2 more interviews after that stage?

From what I can gather from previous comments there is 2 interviews. Jobs with a panel list generally ask candidates to attend 2 interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Irish Rail Informer

When filling out the competency assessment (170+ questions) think like a train driver, or what you imagine it's like;
    Do you like to work alone? Are you safety orientated? customer focused? Calm in an emergency? attention to detail? like to follow strict rules?
    All the questions are based around these areas, and just rephrased in a different way multiple times.

Then there are 2 interviews on the day, 1st interview with one person from HR, who will review your competency assessment.
    The second interview is with 3 people, HR, District Manager and DTE (ensures rules and Safety are followed)

if you have the following in mind and real life examples of when you demonstrated these skills you'll be ok

§ Excellent Communication Skills
    § Calm in an Emergency
    § Follow Rules and Procedures
    § Conscientious
    § Customer Focus
    § Achievement Orientation

So put a bit of work in prior to phase 2 competency and interviews by writing out a couple of examples of each of the above 6 points;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

When filling out the competency assessment (170+ questions) think like a train driver, or what you imagine it's like;
    Do you like to work alone? Are you safety orientated? customer focused? Calm in an emergency? attention to detail? like to follow strict rules?
    All the questions are based around these areas, and just rephrased in a different way multiple times.

Then there are 2 interviews on the day, 1st interview with one person from HR, who will review your competency assessment.
    The second interview is with 3 people, HR, District Manager and DTE (ensures rules and Safety are followed)

if you have the following in mind and real life examples of when you demonstrated these skills you'll be ok

§ Excellent Communication Skills
    § Calm in an Emergency
    § Follow Rules and Procedures
    § Conscientious
    § Customer Focus
    § Achievement Orientation

So put a bit of work in prior to phase 2 competency and interviews by writing out a couple of examples of each of the above 6 points;

Thank you very much

For stage two, would anyone be able to give an example of how the 16 personality factors part of the test work please? Don’t expect a detailed answer but even just an idea of how it works and what to expect. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7 missoptimistic

It's 170 questions with three answers , mostly true or false, and 10 extra questions at the end. It takes about 40 mins to an hour to complete, they say answer honestly , because it's not a test, they are sent onto the OPC psychiatrist who looks over them to see if you are in a good place mentally for driving a train!

It's 170 questions with three answers , mostly true or false, and 10 extra questions at the end. It takes about 40 mins to an hour to complete, they say answer honestly , because it's not a test, they are sent onto the OPC psychiatrist who looks over them to see if you are in a good place mentally for driving a train!

Thanks a million for this. Was wondering if it was something I’d need to also prepare for but I guess not

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

Thanks a million for this. Was wondering if it was something I’d need to also prepare for but I guess not

Something similar to this
    https://openpsychometrics.org/tests/16PF.php
    The last few questions are difficult enough, because of the way they are phrased, also some number sequence questions.
    Good luck with it.

How do you all think you did in phase 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tejay86

Did anyone get called for the 16pf interview yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

Tejay86 wrote: »
    Did anyone get called for the 16pf interview yet?

Yep, medical and 16pf pre interview next week.
    Only done my phase 2 last Thursday, and the invitation came Monday.

Yep, medical and 16pf pre interview next week.
    Only done my phase 2 last Thursday, and the invitation came Monday.

Yup done mine on Tuesday. Wonder is it everyone that done the phase 2 doing the interview or did some not get through

I just got mine there only did phase 2 yesterday

• Advertisement

Yup done mine on Tuesday. Wonder is it everyone that done the phase 2 doing the interview or did some not get through

Its odd that they are calling people in for the 16pf interview. It might be a way of them speeding up the process.

Myself and I think everyone else so far has done the 16pf interview and the line manager interview one after the other on the same day.

Wasn’t the 16pf part not included in stage 2?

Probably because of covid, make sense why the are doing it via video chat. Any one have any idea of how many positions they are actually looking to fill?

Probably because of covid, make sense why the are doing it via video chat. Any one have any idea of how many positions they are actually looking to fill?

100 over 4 years so assuming 25 a year maybe

Wasn’t the 16pf part not included in stage 2?

You fill out the form at stage 2. At the 16pf interview they discuss your your 16pf profile and go over the pre-interview form.

Has anyone heard back yet after doing Phase 2? I am assuming we will hear whether we got through to medical/interview or not? At least I'm hoping because I did it last Friday and haven't heard back yet!

Andybar88 wrote: »
    How do you all think you did in phase 2?
    Starting to think not all that well, since I haven't heard anything back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Moshman

Has anyone heard back yet after doing Phase 2? I am assuming we will hear whether we got through to medical/interview or not? At least I'm hoping because I did it last Friday and haven't heard back yet!

Was in the other day, haven't heard anything and to be honest, I'm not expecting to. Eyes still haven't recovered from the dot moving/ shape match thingie on the screen....made a total mess of it.

Best of luck to anyone still in with a chance....

Moshman wrote: »
    Was in the other day, haven't heard anything and to be honest, I'm not expecting to. Eyes still haven't recovered from the dot moving/ shape match thingie on the screen....made a total mess of it.

Best of luck to anyone still in with a chance....

To be fair that was an absolute pain in the hole. Felt hypnotised by it

• Advertisement

To be fair that was an absolute pain in the hole. Felt hypnotised by it

They were awful. Then when they went from 2 to 3. And the dots and the shapes. I thought it was never going to end. I never realised how alike a triangle and trapezoid are either 😂

Advertisement