Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you intend to get married?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

jorex88 wrote: »
    Excuse me for getting "wound up" when hearing about fathers who are unwilling to commit and mothers who are willing to spread their legs (3 times, no less) to uncommiting fathers.

The hoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Excuse me for getting "wound up" when hearing about fathers who are unwilling to commit and mothers who are willing to spread their legs (3 times, no less) to uncommiting fathers.
    I'd say way more.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

maybe they are happy?

I'd like to but I can't see it happen. Don't really want kids though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Advertisement

If the right one made himself known and was of a like mind, then I'd marry. I'd prefer marriage to living together if we had kids, for all kinds of reasons, but I'd also like the whole you and me against the world, declaring it in public and sticking together through thick and thin as next of kin scenario.

It is my intention to marry on 1st July next year :):):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

It is my intention to marry on 1st July next year :):):)
    Massive thread invite to the afters which wouldn't be regarded as an insult? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm still married though the marriage ended long ago , I have a new partner who during the week asked if I would think about it further down the road.

I'm amazed that a second person would want to think about marrying me , when I said this with a teary expression on my face , she almost pissed herself laughing.

eternal wrote: »
    Massive thread invite to the afters which wouldn't be regarded as an insult? :pac:

Haha now don't be pissed off that it's in Donegal!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

No complaints here. I love Donegal.

Christ imagine all the awkward interactions of boardsies! Close your account and save your wedding! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Afters and roadtrip ?? Whooohoooo !!:D

Hoping The Backwards Man will be my DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Living in sin for 20 years now with 3 kids:). I've never had any desire to be married. Each to their own, but it's not for me. I don't need the public declaration to prove my commitment. Plus I'd hate being the centre of attention for the day, too much pressure !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I was never pushed about marriage but when you own a property it makes financial sense. I don't want to be hit with an inheritance tax bill I can't afford on a house I bought. Getting married seemed like a no brainer. We paid fifty euros, didn't have a reception and very few people outside close family and friends would even know

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

No, but mainly because of the assumption that you'll be having kids. If I could rule that out, I'd consider it with the right person. I might even get a vasectomy, just to be sure.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were."

Justice Kennedy, US Supreme Court.

I can't understand why two people who profess to love each other wouldn't get married. Just sounds like they're keeping their options open to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Getting married in December to my girlfriend. We're 25 & 26, feels like the right time for both of us.

If you asked me a year or so ago I would have said no to be honest

73Cat wrote: »
    I don't need the public declaration to prove my commitment.
    That's not what it's about though (doesn't have to be public either) - it's about giving the couple (and family if they have one) protections.
    Not saying there's something wrong with you not marrying (there isn't of course) but what it confers is really beneficial. Even important.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    I was never pushed about marriage but when you own a property it makes financial sense. I don't want to be hit with an inheritance tax bill I can't afford on a house I bought. Getting married seemed like a no brainer. We paid fifty euros, didn't have a reception and very few people outside close family and friends would even know
    Yep, that's all that has to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I value my sex life so no.

Marraige doesn't mean you have to stop ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'd like to get married, but I have yet to find a woman who can stand me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Paid the deposit on mine today.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Paid the deposit on mine today.

Russian Bride?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If I met someone I wanted to spend the rest of my life with and she reciprocated then definitely. As has been noted it adds peace of mind via rights, securities and protections form certain taxes.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

efb wrote: »
    Russian Bride?
    A friend recommended this to me recently, was an interesting watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3249478/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Why shouldn't they keep their options open?

Because it's not a total commitment to each other, is it? It's not love if you have an exit strategy at the back of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

efb wrote: »
    Russian Bride?

Thai.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

That's not what it's about though (doesn't have to be public either) - it's about giving the couple (and family if they have one) protections.
    Not saying there's something wrong with you not marrying (there isn't of course) but what it confers is really beneficial. Even important.

Yep, that's all that has to be done.

I know what you are saying. We have everything sorted regarding the kids ie he has guardianship. The house is mine if anything should happen to him. I am probably cynical, but am of the mindset if it's not broken, no need to fix it ;). I know a couple with kids who got married purely for the tax benefits. Within a few years they had a really bitter divorce. Another couple who are relations of ours are married, but she told me sometime after she had to give him an ultimatum. Marry her, or she was gone. I can't imagine doing that, from both sides. Either dishing out an ultimatum, or marrying someone who gave me one. Of course that's just two examples, but I suppose what I mean is you really, really have to want to be married. And for the right reasons! I love a good day out, just not my own :)

• Advertisement

I'd do it for the next-of-kin aspect - it's stupid but your partner can't be your next-of-kin, only your spouse.
    But of course an unmarried relationship can be just as, sometimes moreso, committed as a married one.

Advertisement