Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you intend to get married?

Options
  • 27-06-2015 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

If you are not currently married, do you intend/hope to?

Never on my radar now the referendum has changed that. I think I would like to marry. (pref Leo Varadkar! :P)

So single boardsies, do you intend to wed?

Do you intend to get married? 318 votes

Already married
    0% 0 votes
    Someday
    24% 78 votes
    No!
    45% 144 votes
    I'm married in my virtual gaming world
    30% 96 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Live in sin I say!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I intend to go to the moon but I need a lift in a spaceship first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Probably will eventually, emigration is a bit easier as a couple when youre married.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

I'd like to think by not getting married I would be sparing my self from brain damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I should have done...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Getting married is like signing into Mountjoy without the possibility of parole. There is no reason why two people can't just simply decide to stay together. Marriage exists to force people to stay together hence the long notice period if you want to divorce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I always thought I would, and indeed hope I do. I'd like to have someone to share my life with.

But I'm posting on boards on a Saturday night so, you know...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't "intend" to, it's not like "do you intend to go on holiday this year"
    Find the first fella who'll do and march him up the aisle :pac:
    But I wouldn't mind if it comes up like :)

• Site Banned Posts: 13 jorex88

mad m wrote: »
    Live in sin I say!!!

All very fine, but will your kids (or your family/friends) respect you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

If Only I could fool someone ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I predict this thread will be brimming full of responses from die-hard romantics writing sweet soliloquys about the beauty and benefits of the institution of marriage...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

efb wrote: »
    So single boardsies, do you intend to wed?

I don't think you can ask someone if they intend to get married. They might like to at some stage, but if they never find the person they want to marry they can intend all they like but it ain't going to happen. I was 44 when I got married and would not unreasonably have assumed that being single at 40+ would mean I'd be staying single. I certainly would have liked to meet someone I loved to the extent that I wanted to marry her, and fortunately I did, but I couldn't say I intended to get married before I met my wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

in·tend
    \in-ˈtend\
    verb
    : to plan or want to do (something) : to have (something) in your mind as a purpose or goal
    : to plan for or want (someone or something) to do or be something

To intend also means to want to guys

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't think you can ask someone if they intend to get married. They might like to at some stage, but if they never find the person they want to marry they can intend all they like but it ain't going to happen. I was 44 when I got married and would not unreasonably have assumed that being single at 40+ would mean I'd be staying single. I certainly would have liked to meet someone I loved to the extent that I wanted to marry her, and fortunately I did, but I couldn't say I intended to get married before I met my wife.

Some people do want to marry in life. Not just passive about it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

To intend also means to want to guys

I guess I'm trying to say that being with someone I'm happy with would be more important than intending to get married in and of itself and having to find someone to fill the position
    In reverse order
    If you're asking unmarried couples I suppose it makes more sense :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

jorex88 wrote: »
    All very fine, but will your kids (or your family/friends) respect you?

My brother and his partner are not married and their 3 children don't think any less of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

There is no reason why two people can't just simply decide to stay together.
    There is - they won't be next of kin if they don't get married, which could be really important (e.g. if one got ill and only next of kin could visit them). If they have children and the relationship goes awry and simply has to end, the father has zero parental rights.
    I understand the idea of getting married not appealing to people who'd prefer just to be in a relationship (I'd kinda empathise tbh) but it's not true, when it comes to certain protections, that a committed relationship is the same as a marriage unfortunately.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I guess I'm trying to say that being with someone I'm happy with would be more important than intending to get married in and of itself and having to find someone to fill the position
    In reverse order
    If you're asking unmarried couples I suppose it makes more sense :pac:

Some single people want to get married too you know!

/sits in wedding dress and watches Muriel's Wedding for the 40th time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Some people do want to marry in life. Not just passive about it

I don't disagree, but my point is that no matter how firm their intentions, they're still dependent on another person to enable to them to meet their goal. It doesn't necessarily happen for everyone, no matter how much they may want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No, I don't want to ever get married.

My brother and his partner are not married and their 3 children don't think any less of them

So why didn't they bother marrying? Afraid of the public declaration bit?

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't disagree, but my point is that no matter how firm their intentions, they're still dependent on another person to enable to them to meet their goal. It doesn't necessarily happen for everyone, no matter how much they may want it.

thats why its an intention, not a definite!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

So why didn't they bother marrying? Afraid of the public declaration bit?

You seem to be getting very wound up by this

zaph is much better at saying what im trying to say

You seem to be getting very wound up by this

Excuse me for getting "wound up" when hearing about fathers who are unwilling to commit and mothers who are willing to spread their legs (3 times, no less) to uncommiting fathers.

Mod: rereg banned

bluewolf wrote: »
    zaph is much better at saying what im trying to say

You can intend to do something and for it never to come to pass. Thats why its referred to as an intention.

• Advertisement

Excuse me for getting "wound up" when hearing about fathers who are unwilling to commit and mothers who are willing to spread their legs (3 times, no less) to uncommiting fathers.

Chill.

Advertisement