Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Fattes wrote: »
    Well you commented that i should not post what I posted, ergo you are attempting to moderate the forum.

I would assume winter conditions and the current cycle of unreliability in low alpine resorts is relevant to a snow sports forum, but perhaps you don't think it is. Fair enough but that is up to the mods to decide, you have no right to instruct people on what they can and can't post here. The current european weather patterns over the past few years should be very relevant to anyone planning early season ski trips. Even snow sure high altitude resorts have less than Ideal conditions currently.

For someone like me that lives and works in the alps it is of less relevance as I have 6 months when I can ski some people only get 3-7 days a year and need to be in a position to make the most of them days.

Secondly the photos i have posted are form multiple resorts and I never actually named any of them, it was an illustration of the difference of snow sure and non snow sure resorts and the reliance on snow cannons in the modern day ski tourism industry v historical opening and marketing from resorts. Kitzbul up until the late 80's did not advertise the resort as a Christmas destination due to the lack of reliable snow pre snow cannons. The resorts pictured, are in Switzerland, France and Austria. I also have some shots form Italy that are really grim!

And yes the helicopter photo is Soll, it was taken by the head of BBC sport, on the 30th of December unless he is lying on his blog and in two posts replying to questions about the exact location. He did however speak of better conditions in Kitz.

The helicopter photo is clearly Brixen, not Soll. Maybe he had his piste map upside down :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Well you commented that i should not post what I posted, ergo you are attempting to moderate the forum.

I would assume winter conditions and the current cycle of unreliability in low alpine resorts is relevant to a snow sports forum, but perhaps you don't think it is. Fair enough but that is up to the mods to decide, you have no right to instruct people on what they can and can't post here. The current european weather patterns over the past few years should be very relevant to anyone planning early season ski trips. Even snow sure high altitude resorts have less than Ideal conditions currently.

For someone like me that lives and works in the alps it is of less relevance as I have 6 months when I can ski some people only get 3-7 days a year and need to be in a position to make the most of them days.

Secondly the photos i have posted are form multiple resorts and I never actually named any of them, it was an illustration of the difference of snow sure and non snow sure resorts and the reliance on snow cannons in the modern day ski tourism industry v historical opening and marketing from resorts. Kitzbul up until the late 80's did not advertise the resort as a Christmas destination due to the lack of reliable snow pre snow cannons. The resorts pictured, are in Switzerland, France and Austria. I also have some shots form Italy that are really grim!

And yes the helicopter photo is Soll, it was taken by the head of BBC sport, on the 30th of December unless he is lying on his blog and in two posts replying to questions about the exact location. He did however speak of better conditions in Kitz.

Firstly point out where I said you shouldn't of posted what you did I simply pointed out that you have a long history of putting down a certain place and that if you had nothing good to post about it don't bother .it ailineated a lot of us and it warranted u attention from the mods .i certainly ain't attempting to moderate anything here nor do I want to why would u bother going over old ground again with the same drivel again .without wanting to name anyone there is a soll thread and that poster spends a lot of time in resort gives free open and honest accounts of it and conditions there.you if I'm not mistaken aren't even in that same country .
    Anyway from now on I think I'll just ignore you.going by your posts anyway your probably the most experienced winter sports person here and you've skied all over Europe but all I'd ask is you forget about all those tricky runs ,vast terrain and wild nightlife you don't seem to be able to handle or rate in a certain Austrian resort u can choose to ignore it if u wish

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Link please. I don't see anything on the bbc blog site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Screenshot_20160102_072123.jpg

Looking very promising!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Original poster has been advised of the wrong location identification in his blog post and updated thanks for the clarification. Helpfull as I was using his and 5 other peoples info for an article I am putting together

Johnny is a friend and his blog is not part of the beebs website, he publishes ot as part of a excellent sports news resource behind a paywall for industry news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

Looks like finally there as major changes to the weather over the next week. Big accumulations for the French Alps. Austria gets a top up but not as much as far as I can see. Not heading away for another month so a lot can happen but at least the snow is starting to arrive.

jvan wrote: »
    Looks like finally there as major changes to the weather over the next week. Big accumulations for the French Alps. Austria gets a top up but not as much as far as I can see. Not heading away for another month so a lot can happen but at least the snow is starting to arrive.

All the webcams (I've seen) in the 3v are just a wall of white this morning. A hell of a lot more snow is needed though, but this is, hopefully, a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

cormee wrote: »
    All the webcams (I've seen) in the 3v are just a wall of white this morning. A hell of a lot more snow is needed though, but this is, hopefully, a good start.

Have booked geneva for this wed, may head up to 3v for the Thursday with a stop in la clusaz to maximize skiing on the way in. You don't mind if I steal all your powder cormee? Looks like somewhere between half a meter to one meter over next five days. Reports from resort confirm it is snowing as we speak!

Going by Bergfex there will be over a metre in the main French resorts over the next 10 days. Austria looks more like 20-30cm. I was hoping that Mayrhofen would deliver this year but I feel I should have stayed in France.
    Have you looked at the webcams in Morzine lately, sad state even compared by last year. Hopefully it changes for them but I think they'll be borderline with freezing level.

jvan wrote: »
    Going by Bergfex there will be over a metre in the main French resorts over the next 10 days. Austria looks more like 20-30cm. I was hoping that Mayrhofen would deliver this year but I feel I should have stayed in France.
    Have you looked at the webcams in Morzine lately, sad state even compared by last year. Hopefully it changes for them but I think they'll be borderline with freezing level.
    Morzine is quite low and always suffers badly when conditions are poor. Snow is forecast for the next few days though (according to my app). And if all else fails Avoriaz is close by, I suppose.

• Advertisement

Morzine is quite low and always suffers badly when conditions are poor. Snow is forecast for the next few days though (according to my app). And if all else fails Avoriaz is close by, I suppose.

That's true, think it's only around 1000m, but when it does snow the slopes around Pleney, Nyon over to Les Gets and lovely. Nice looking low rise town too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Pegging down snow here in Chamonix at the sec, and plenty more due over the next few days! Looked like I timed it just right!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Looking at new goggles while im in the US next week thinking Oakley Airbrakes with the Prizm Rose and Prizm Torch Lenses. I have Oakley Crowbars with Prizm Rose and Fire Iridium ATM. Anyone got the Airbrakes, what do you think of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Rew wrote: »
    Looking at new goggles while im in the US next week thinking Oakley Airbrakes with the Prizm Rose and Prizm Torch Lenses. I have Oakley Crowbars with Prizm Rose and Fire Iridium ATM. Anyone got the Airbrakes, what do you think of them?

It's all about the lense as you know and a comfortable frame. Airbrake has quick release lense and I think comes with 2 lenses. I looked at them when I was changing to a Prizm lense last year but stuck with the splice when I found a good deal and they are a good fit for me.

Take a look at the flight deck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Snowing in Soll too!! Whoop! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Mayrhofen!!!! SNOW YOU BEAUT!

More please. Always go second full week of jan as it suits our group with getting time off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I. AM. BEREFT! The first year we can't go in, I don't know how many, years.
    I'm obsessed in looking at the deals too...
    Everything reminds me of a ski holiday at the moment. I don't know how I'm going to cope this Jan :(

Anyone got the winning lotto numbers?

Days 4-6 Kirkwood Weather Summary:
    A heavy fall of snow, heaviest during Thu night. Temperatures will be below freezing (max -3°C on Fri night, min -9°C on Wed night). Winds increasing (calm on Thu night, fresh winds from the WSW by Fri night).

Almost Fresh snow for when I get there Saturday morning.... :D

Looks like at least 50cm which would be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Timmaay wrote: »
    Pegging down snow here in Chamonix at the sec, and plenty more due over the next few days! Looked like I timed it just right!

Yep, I can confirm it was pegging it down in Cham yesterday. I think I can pretty much guarantee at this stage that the day I leave a place it will dump down snow. So check with me for next years ski holidays and book the week after I go :(

Enjoy the powder Timmaay!

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Yep, I can confirm it was pegging it down in Cham yesterday. I think I can pretty much guarantee at this stage that the day I leave a place it will dump down snow. So check with me for next years ski holidays and book the week after I go :(

Enjoy the powder Timmaay!

2bh still ****all runs open today, probably only 1/4 of them! More open tomorrow I think, and another dump due tonight! 2bh doubt I'll ever risk skiing this early again ha, just not worth the risk. I'd still make the most of any ski holiday I'll go on, but I'm here for as much fresh powder and good skiing, not slushy rocky light snow.

• Advertisement

It's all about the lense as you know and a comfortable frame. Airbrake has quick release lense and I think comes with 2 lenses. I looked at them when I was changing to a Prizm lense last year but stuck with the splice when I found a good deal and they are a good fit for me.

Take a look at the flight deck too.

Quick release and coming with two lenses are the big attraction I have to say. Also Flightdeck looks like a scratch magnet to me!! :D

My wife is getting mine so good opportunity to get something new. Very happy with the prizm lenses, I even got them for my sun glasses when I updated my Oakleys earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Timmaay wrote: »
    not slushy rocky light snow.

Is that what its like Timmaay? What altitude? Will be looking for a few turns come Wed morning and won't be a million miles from Chamonix valley

a148pro wrote: »
    Is that what its like Timmaay? What altitude? Will be looking for a few turns come Wed morning and won't be a million miles from Chamonix valley

The side we were up only had a few blues and one black open, 2 of the blues were very slushy by 1pm. Snowing heavy enough now again in fairness. I ain't complaining hugely ha, I've missed the worst of it just about, I'd say the the whole mount blanc area will be grand by wed, but still, early Jan in future is out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I have had worse days

Ah yeah, that would put a smile on your face alright :D

St Anton booked for Jan 30th

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Les 2 Alpes on the 16th! Cannot wait. Anyone been? Looks like it's going to be prettttty chilly... 53/96 pistes open, but ill take that over a few weeks ago.

Then I can have my sunny ski holiday in Soll for Paddys week...

:)

Laurali wrote: »
    Les 2 Alpes on the 16th! Cannot wait. Anyone been? Looks like it's going to be prettttty chilly... 53/96 pistes open, but ill take that over a few weeks ago.

Then I can have my sunny ski holiday in Soll for Paddys week...

:)

Yes, nice spot, mad apres ski scene.

The Diable is a great piste in the main ski area, and try the Vallee Blanche, it's off the main area, on the other side of the valley, but it's worth an afternoon, as it has good, quiet pistes.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Yes, nice spot, mad apres ski scene.

The Diable is a great piste in the main ski area, and try the Vallee Blanche, it's off the main area, on the other side of the valley, but it's worth an afternoon, as it has good, quiet pistes.

Nice... Vallee Blanche is closed at the moment. An Update from a les2alpes website yesterday mentioned that the resort mightnt open it until peak season in Feb... So I wont get my hopes up. Hopefully a good bit more is open by the 16th.

Thanks for the tips

:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Seven of us off to Mayrhofen in the morning. Have been keeping my excitement in check because of poor snow. Few decent dumps this week so now letting it off the leash.

Advertisement