Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski season 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Can you ski down to the town in mayrhofen from the Penken side to avoid the lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Afraid not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

murra wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice on DIY? Have booked through Direct Ski last two years but it has been expensive.

Flights are no issue, but where is the best place to look for accommodation and ski pass/equipment etc.

Cheers.

Select your resort and go unto the tourist board's website and look for hotels or tripadvisor if you want something nice.

if you have a particular resort in mind ask here and people might know of a place. Alot of resorts or ski areas will also have their own websites.

Equipment: I've booked it online as you get a discount
    Again ask for recommendations.

Skii pass I think it is hard to get discounts on ski passes but some hotels do them. ski pass I usually just get it there I might get it in the ski hire shop and they might give you a (small) discount on other stuff.

Transfers there are taxi services that do transfers but if you have about 4 people have a look at hiring a car. it allows you to go to nearby lifts easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Puibo wrote: »
    Can you ski down to the town in mayrhofen from the Penken side to avoid the lift?

New lift going in at the moment. It can only an improvement. Bottom station was demolished last April.

34976.jpg

That's great news, hopefully it's much better, it was the one thing I hated about Mayrhofen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭murra

maddness wrote: »
    I book at least one ski trip every year DIY and have learnt a lot from doing so.

What are you looking for from the holiday?
    Where do you want to go?
    When?
    Family or lads/girls trip.
    What's important to you? Skiing, après ski in ski out etc.

1. Cheapishhh, good intermediate level slops, Good apre Ski. We have been to Andorra the past two years and it was great but would like to try somewhere different and possibly a bit more changing with better apre ski.

2. Pretty flexible on where we go, just not Andorra as we have been there twice already. Somewhere like Meribal Valley looks decent.

3. Looking at going around the 20th February for 1 week

4. 8 lads half of which will take the skiing seriously, the other half very well may be seen sliding down slopes half cut.

5. Guaranteed snow, Good slopes, good apre ski and cheap lift pass/equipment.

Not so demanding haha. I've looked up flights etc but struggling with the accom and equipment/lift pass stuff. Cant see how it can be cheaper than going package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

1. Cheapishhh, good intermediate level slops, Good apre Ski. We have been to Andorra the past two years and it was great but would like to try somewhere different and possibly a bit more changing with better apre ski.

2. Pretty flexible on where we go, just not Andorra as we have been there twice already. Somewhere like Meribal Valley looks decent.

4. 8 lads half of which will take the skiing seriously, the other half very well may be seen sliding down slopes half cut.

Not so demanding haha. I've looked up flights etc but struggling with the accom and equipment/lift pass stuff. Cant see how it can be cheaper than going package.

The middle of February is going to be very expensive wherever you go as its in the middle of European schools mid terms. Leave it a couple of weeks later or earlier and you will save a lot.

If you are going for a week it's far easier and usually cheaper to go with a tour operator like Crystal ski.
    If you want France there is loads of options for what you want, Morzine, Alpe d'Huez, Les Deux Alpes, Meribel, Les Arcs/La Plagne are all great resorts but lifts passes are not cheap in France.
    Italy is generally cheaper than France for food, beer and lift passes. Sauze d'Olux is a great spot, Livigno is good for beginners and early intermediates but the transfer is very long. Cervinia is another nice resort and La Thuile has great slopes but is quiet at night.
    I don't know too much about Austria but its probably that bit better value than France, have a look at Soll and Mayorhoffen.

I'd go with either of the two Austrian resorts that Madness mentioned above for two reasons, Apres Ski and cheapish! France is a non-runner really in terms of decent apres ski, at least in any of the resorts I've been in (I've been to 4 different ones more than once), Austria is miles ahead on apres ski.

I will only ever go to France if I'm on a serious ski only week.

I think some places in Italy can be good also, I enjoyed Livigno a few years back when I was at the beginner/intermediate stages, it's a lively little place but a b*tch of a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

If you like the look of 3V/Meribel (which you should!) from a skiing point of view, and your other main concern is apres-ski, have a look at Val Thorens - it's also in the 3V but has more of a party reputation. Downsides are - it's up way higher (colder, possible more extreme conditions), above the tree-line, and is ugly as f*.

I'm heading there this year, if it had been my choice though, I'd have picked Meribel, because all I require for apre-ski is a nice bar that serves beer - no table dancing necessary.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

High production avalanche safety video currently at the top of /r/skiing: https://vimeo.com/144545554

Solid advice being provided and worth a watch even just for the cinematography.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

cormee wrote: »
    I'm heading there this year, if it had been my choice though, I'd have picked Meribel, because all I require for apre-ski is a nice bar that serves beer - no table dancing necessary.:D

The Round Point above Meribel is pretty rocking for apre's, id higly recomend it. There is a Folie Douce there now as well if you like paying way over the odds for your booze :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I never understand why people do this to be honest. Skiing is never a cheap holiday compared to a city break or a beach package. If your only plan is to get pissed you could do a lot more cheaply in places with better nightlife. I just can't see why you'd spend so much money, seems like a very expensive drinking holiday to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I never understand why people do this to be honest. Skiing is never a cheap holiday compared to a city break or a beach package. If your only plan is to get pissed you could do a lot more cheaply in places with better nightlife. I just can't see why you'd spend so much money, seems like a very expensive drinking holiday to me...

Same here. I wouldn't be a massive drinker here but I do like a couple of pints every couple of weeks. When I go skiing I'll have a beer / glass of wine with dinner and that's it. 51 other weeks in the year to feel like shít with a hangover; not gonna waste my week in the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Season officially started today, lifts open tomorrow but where there is powder there is a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭prunudo

Fattes wrote: »
    Season officially started today, lifts open tomorrow but where there is powder there is a way.

Haven't seen you on here for a while, welcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

12241305_10154472908972818_1099817304822266673_n.jpg?oh=6c3b93aae5ad8e69e60af505c3602d71&oe=56EB00DD

Fairly spectacular turnaround for VT as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

jvan wrote: »
    Haven't seen you on here for a while, welcome back.

diddums, come back the fcuk fattes, how are we expected to spend all year in Ireland talking about skiing without you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

9 days now until I head off to Pas De La Casa, all looking good, could do with a few more black slopes open, but sure look ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

25days until take off in Chamonix, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

30 days to Mayrhofen, where its snowing right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

30 Days till Tahoe!

44 days, 4 hours, 29 mins, and approx 10 seconds until Val Thorens.

I have a long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

T minus 24 hours....Val D'isere....

Warm up ski 2 weeks ago in Champery....

Very excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

6 weeks until Tignes! Pretty excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Things starting to kick off so ha! Throw up afew photos everyone can yas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I have a long wait.

Will be in Ischgl the same date, and Mayrhofen on the 27th Feb. Hopefully have the weeks inbetween the two trips to spend in Austria but that all depends on how work pans out...

I have a long wait.

What is the webcam widget you use?

cormee wrote: »
    What is the webcam widget you use?
    I think it's called world scope. It's not great but does the job. I keep an eye on Hintertux all year.

• Advertisement

stevire wrote: »
    Will be in Ischgl the same date, and Mayrhofen on the 27th Feb. Hopefully have the weeks inbetween the two trips to spend in Austria but that all depends on how work pans out...

Going to take a breather from work and look for accommodation and flights for that trip. Looking at staying outside of Ischgl and will have the snowcard and car so that we can visit the other resorts nearby.

Advertisement