Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Ah France, worlds strictest rules for working as an instructor, but every school teacher is allowed bring their classes skiing! Absolute stupidity from the teacher IF the piste was closed as reported

The thing is if you are careful and know where to ski conditions are excellent today

Ah France, worlds strictest rules for working as an instructor, but every school teacher is allowed bring their classes skiing! Absolute stupidity from the teacher IF the piste was closed as reported

The thing is if you are careful and know where to ski conditions are excellent today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Fattes wrote: »

And yes the helicopter photo is Soll, it was taken by the head of BBC sport, on the 30th of December unless he is lying on his blog and in two posts replying to questions about the exact location. He did however speak of better conditions in Kitz.
    Original poster has been advised of the wrong location identification in his blog post and updated thanks for the clarification. Helpfull as I was using his and 5 other peoples info for an article I am putting together

Johnny is a friend and his blog is not part of the beebs website, he publishes ot as part of a excellent sports news resource behind a paywall for industry news.

You are welcome. Hope he edited his blog to reflect his error ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

fannymagee wrote: »
    You are welcome. Hope he edited his blog to reflect his error ;-)

Ah, Fanny, the best blogs in the world, written by the most reputable in the business, can't beat the bit of local knowledge, eh?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

They are now reporting that the teacher was actually a local guide, some muddled reporting or miss translation early on I suspect:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/14/avalanche-deaths-france-judicial-inquiry-pupils-closed-piste
    The judicial investigation will focus on why the teacher leading the school group, who is believed to have been a local instructor from Les Deux Alpes, took the children on to a closed ski run.

Patrick Kanner, the French sports minister, told Europe 1 radio: “Why did the guide, who has been injured himself, take them on a run that was closed? Bad signage? Lack of judgment? The judicial inquiry will tell.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

All speculation at this point. It's entirely possible that they were at the bottom of the slope or the kids went first. I'm sure there'll be a few gopros amongst them anyway for the investigators to review.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭I dont know

@cormee, 17 of us heading to Val thorens on the 23rd, might bump into ya somewhere

All speculation at this point. It's entirely possible that they were at the bottom of the slope or the kids went first. I'm sure there'll be a few gopros amongst them anyway for the investigators to review.

If I were speculating id be wondering did the single unrelated skier who was killed come from above them and set it off.

@cormee, 17 of us heading to Val thorens on the 23rd, might bump into ya somewhere

I'd say I'll hear ye before I see ye! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Rew wrote: »
    If I were speculating id be wondering did the single unrelated skier who was killed come from above them and set it off.

Account on snowheads suggests that the avalanche came from an off piste area above the closed run. Account comes from a guy there that day who had skied the closed run with a guide the day before (when the risk was 4, 3 on the day of the avi). Guide had told him that the off piste area above the closed run was way too dangerous to ski. Confirmed (as is often the case) that the closed run had been skied a good few times on the day of the avi also.

Two simple lessons to take from it, never ski a closed run, never assume previous tracks mean the slope is safe. In fact its often a later skier who sets it off.

• Advertisement

I assumed it had come from off piste and onto the closed one alright

cormee wrote: »
    Ah, Fanny, the best blogs in the world, written by the most reputable in the business, can't beat the bit of local knowledge, eh?

Or the most misquoted post of all time?

I assumed it had come from off piste and onto the closed one alright

It is looking like it was a teacher rather than a ESF instructor which is pretty common. Many resort runs close because of the risk of what is above. Our home run blue has not opened once this season, due to the risk of what is above.

Resorts don't close resorts unless they have to and normally they close them due to safety. Again we have a separate run that was closed for 2 weeks due to wind forming overhangs above it and yet every day people skiing it. It does not take a skier to release a loaded slope they can release naturally and normally this is a big risk and why the slope below will be closed

One thing is for certain is that the investigation will be quite detailed and will hopefully provide answers.

Original poster has been advised of the wrong location identification in his blog post and updated thanks for the clarification. Helpfull as I was using his and 5 other peoples info for an article I am putting together

Johnny is a friend and his blog is not part of the beebs website, he publishes ot as part of a excellent sports news resource behind a paywall for industry news.

Maybe if people read the blog, instead of jumping on a high horse and attempting to bully and belittle posters it may help!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Maybe if people read the blog, instead of jumping on a high horse and attempting to bully and belittle posters it may help!

Christ get over yourself

CNN are reporting the teacher has been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Christ get over yourself

I tried once I am too fat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Play nice folks.

Not a suggestion.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35320514

Sad day for wintersport enthusiasts in Japan. Overnight bus transfer to a ski resort in Nagano went off the road. Think it may have been driver fatigue / over worked but nothing's been confirmed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Can you post the link? Id be interested to read it but don't know where to look if it's not the BBC blog.

• Advertisement

His article's behind one of those fancy paywalls though, isn't it?

Fanny, you need to get yourself a paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Has anybody got anything to say about skiing and not about accidents!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Cormee or anyone else in the wicklow area, has there been anything worth shouting about here snow wise ha?? Looking out at nice snow covered mountains here at the sec!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Cormee or anyone else in the wicklow area, has there been anything worth shouting about here snow wise ha?? Looking out at nice snow covered mountains here at the sec!

Nothing to see in the Dublin mountains from Sandyford anyway. Where are you?

Puibo wrote: »
    Has anybody got anything to say about skiing and not about accidents!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Nothing to see in the Dublin mountains from Sandyford anyway. Where are you?

Wicklow town, was just looking out West at white hills in the distance this morning ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Yes someone post deep powder vid from last few days not involving tragedy please

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Heading to Ischgl tomorrow, snow looking good!

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Heading to Ischgl tomorrow, snow looking good!

Well for ya. 8 days to go here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Well for ya. 8 days to go here :(

I know, it's the last one I have booked but I'm eyeing up three more weeks before season end... :D

Advertisement