Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Forecast finally picking up for the Alps, significant snowfall forecasted for first week of Jan. Hopefully it's consistent from here on in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Totally random question here ha, one of the lads on my ski trip to Chamonix is going to milan straight after the trip instead of flying back to Ireland. He's looking into a train from Geneva to Milan, but struggling to find train tickets that don't require physical tickets posted out to an address (he might not get them before 2nd Jan). Anyone any ideas?

5days until Chamonix!! Possible some fresh snow due, fingers toes everything crossed we get something! Don't think I'll ever bother risking this early in the season again, unless it's total last minute.

I was 50 50 about chamonix or VT for this trip also, didn't go to VT because I thought it was too early in the season and too much risk of it being too cold and windswept, I got that wrong haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Timmaay wrote: »
    5days until Chamonix!! Possible some fresh snow due, fingers toes everything crossed we get something! Don't think I'll ever bother risking this early in the season again, unless it's total last minute.

I was 50 50 about chamonix or VT for this trip also, didn't go to VT because I thought it was too early in the season and too much risk of it being too cold and windswept, I got that wrong haha.
    Both vt and Chamonix look like they're due a dump in the next few days. Hope it's the first of many as I'm off to vt on 23rd and its looking bleak up there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

The difference between snow sure and snow cannons Panorama shot is of a resort with 100% snow cannon coverage and leas than 50% of runs open. Other 3 are a snow sure resort with 95% open and 30% snow cannon coverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭prunudo

Fattes wrote: »
    The difference between snow sure and snow cannons Panorama shot is of a resort with 100% snow cannon coverage and leas than 50% of runs open. Other 3 are a snow sure resort with 95% open and 30% snow cannon coverage

What is the altitude in both photos. If I was booking for a Christmas/new year trip id be looking at a minimum of 1800m for a resort but even this year it doesn't look enough.

Photos with snow are at 1,850 the panorama is a photo sent to me from a resort for an article I was writing has a max elevation of about 1,900. But is regularly sold bye some as snow sure because of its snowmaking

Photos with snow are at 1,850 the panorama is a photo sent to me from a resort for an article I was writing has a max elevation of about 1,900. But is regularly sold bye some as snow sure because of its snowmaking

Reminds me of 06/07,heading out to Soldeu mid January and boarding on ribbons of snow. Has always made me nervous of heading back.

Only 4more sleeps, not really looking great for any proper dump yet ugh. Weather subform on snowheads gone into meltdown with idiots squabbling ha, I think I'm gonna give up checking for snow, wrecking my head by now haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Heading to the french alps in 3 weeks, any idea what to expect?
    It's not looking great. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Diemos wrote: »
    Heading to the french alps in 3 weeks, any idea what to expect?
    It's not looking great. :(

Don't worry. 3 weeks is plenty of time for it to change if there's poor coverage at the moment.

Only 4more sleeps, not really looking great for any proper dump yet ugh. Weather subform on snowheads gone into meltdown with idiots squabbling ha, I think I'm gonna give up checking for snow, wrecking my head by now haha.

Chamonix is looking very promising at the moment. You may be in luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Yeah looks like it is on in the french alps for next week or two, about fecking time, hopefully up to a meter over the next week, mulling over where and when to go now

Can anyone guess the snow sure resort with 100% snow cannon coverage that is needing to do this right now

Can anyone guess the snow sure resort with 100% snow cannon coverage that is needing to do this right now

Wow, that's extreme, remember seeing photos of them doing it for the 2010 winter games.
    I guess your photo is of somewhere not expecting snow any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Kitzbuhel

Kitzbuhel

Close

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Think we all know it's soll ur drivelling about at this stage ,got boring last 2 years .give it a rest

Engelberg ?????

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Think we all know it's soll ur drivelling about at this stage ,got boring last 2 years .give it a rest

Are you a moderator, does the post breach some kind of rule in the forum? If you think it does report it, or apply to be a moderator. Pretty sure snow conditions in various resorts are an integral part of a winter sports forum.

• Advertisement

Are you a moderator, does the post breach some kind of rule in the forum? If you think it does report it, or apply to be a moderator. Pretty sure snow conditions in various resorts are an integral part of a winter sports forum.

Firstly come off your high horse ,I certainly don't think it warranted me to report it but I and others I bet def last 2 years grew v tired of your constant put down of a very popular ski resort(soll).if you do t Like the place don't bother posting about it ,simple .all your doing is ailinating a lot of people.
    I'd love to know what the place did to you and why you seem to hate it so much ,did u find the runs and terrain there too difficult or where u not able to handle the nightlife ??.anyway happy new year wherever u are I'm off out for the night

Firstly come off your high horse ,I certainly don't think it warranted me to report it but I and others I bet def last 2 years grew v tired of your constant put down of a very popular ski resort(soll).if you do t Like the place don't bother posting about it ,simple .all your doing is ailinating a lot of people.
    I'd love to know what the place did to you and why you seem to hate it so much ,did u find the runs and terrain there too difficult or where u not able to handle the nightlife ??.anyway happy new year wherever u are I'm off out for the night

Lol, mj do you have a Fattes post alert setup or something, the only time ya ever post in the winter thread is to start an argument :p Anyways happy new year also, staying in tonight, only because I'm pulling an all nighter tomorrow night, while on my way to the airport for a 4am to Geneva haha.

Lol, mj do you have a Fattes post alert setup or something, the only time ya ever post in the winter thread is to start an argument :p Anyways happy new year also, staying in tonight, only because I'm pulling an all nighter tomorrow night, while on my way to the airport for a 4am to Geneva haha.

Better things to be doing Tim!!!,don't post here much but browse a lot and know a few prominent posters here as well .have fun in chamonix ,looks like snow is arriving in good time for u ,but even better for me !!!

Well there goes the neighbourhood!

Regardless of why it was posted or by whom I actually find the photo quite interesting. It shows the desperate measures some resorts have to go to to maintain even limited slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Ahh beautiful, majestic Soll! With her brave ribbons of white on a carpet of green, holding her own alongside all the other alpine resorts in the exact same boat :-)

Keep the faith, folks- the powder will come. And in the meantime, we will continue to ski and board and party and have fun.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! :-) xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

(Also- just a lil FYI, the helicopter photo is NOT Soll) :-)

fannymagee wrote: »
    (Also- just a lil FYI, the helicopter photo is NOT Soll) :-)

It's Kilternan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

All of them

• Advertisement

Well you commented that i should not post what I posted, ergo you are attempting to moderate the forum.

I would assume winter conditions and the current cycle of unreliability in low alpine resorts is relevant to a snow sports forum, but perhaps you don't think it is. Fair enough but that is up to the mods to decide, you have no right to instruct people on what they can and can't post here. The current european weather patterns over the past few years should be very relevant to anyone planning early season ski trips. Even snow sure high altitude resorts have less than Ideal conditions currently.

For someone like me that lives and works in the alps it is of less relevance as I have 6 months when I can ski some people only get 3-7 days a year and need to be in a position to make the most of them days.

Secondly the photos i have posted are form multiple resorts and I never actually named any of them, it was an illustration of the difference of snow sure and non snow sure resorts and the reliance on snow cannons in the modern day ski tourism industry v historical opening and marketing from resorts. Kitzbul up until the late 80's did not advertise the resort as a Christmas destination due to the lack of reliable snow pre snow cannons. The resorts pictured, are in Switzerland, France and Austria. I also have some shots form Italy that are really grim!

And yes the helicopter photo is Soll, it was taken by the head of BBC sport, on the 30th of December unless he is lying on his blog and in two posts replying to questions about the exact location. He did however speak of better conditions in Kitz.

Advertisement