Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski season 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Come on the fcuk snow, as soon as you come I'm gone, snow snow snow!

Going to take a breather from work and look for accommodation and flights for that trip. Looking at staying outside of Ischgl and will have the snowcard and car so that we can visit the other resorts nearby.

I stayed in Kappl one night when I was there (think that's what it was called). Perfectly functional but no atmosphere or apres whatsoever. Galtur, previously the site of one of Europe's worst avalanche disasters supposed to be similar. Both seriously cheap compared to Ischgl though.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

a148pro wrote: »
    I stayed in Kappl one night when I was there (think that's what it was called). Perfectly functional but no atmosphere or apres whatsoever. Galtur, previously the site of one of Europe's worst avalanche disasters supposed to be similar. Both seriously cheap compared to Ischgl though.

Have been looking at Kappl and Galtur. Apres doesn't concern me. I'm not the drink yourself into oblivion type. Few beers with and after dinner and I'm ready for the snow after a good sleep.

Found a place in Galtur that's half board for a good price for two weeks in Jan/Feb. Finally got the first trip booked. Odd having booked the second a month or two ago.

Will be flying to Memmingen. Only affordable flight. Aer lingus is 600+ return to Munich including baggage. Anyone been through there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Found a place in Galtur that's half board for a good price for two weeks in Jan/Feb. Finally got the first trip booked. Odd having booked the second a month or two ago.

Will be flying to Memmingen. Only affordable flight. Aer lingus is 600+ return to Munich including baggage. Anyone been through there?

Munich is €600 return in Jan/Feb?! Whaaat?!!

fannymagee wrote: »
    Munich is €600 return in Jan/Feb?! Whaaat?!!

Flight from Dublin to Munich is €456.99 before baggage. Return flight is €179.99 before baggage.

Must be holidays or something.

• Advertisement

Flight from Dublin to Munich is €456.99 before baggage. Return flight is €179.99 before baggage.

Must be holidays or something.

Jaysis that's insane, don't think even New Year's is that expensive!

Jaysis that's insane, don't think even New Year's is that expensive!

Saturday 23rd Jan. Take a look see. Returning the 6th of Feb. Add in baggage and the total is??????? €718.96 plus snowboard bag which is about €40 each way so lets call it €800. Flying return to Memmingen is under half that including baggage but with Ryanair. I can live with that.

This will be my first year in about 5 that I haven't been to Soll too. I might have to drop in in Mar/Apr if the weather sucks in Tux.

Saturday 23rd Jan. Take a look see. Returning the 6th of Feb. Add in baggage and the total is??????? €718.96 plus snowboard bag which is about €40 each way so lets call it €800. Flying return to Memmingen is under half that including baggage but with Ryanair. I can live with that.

This will be my first year in about 5 that I haven't been to Soll too. I might have to drop in in Mar/Apr if the weather sucks in Tux.

I'm gobsmacked! I suppose I'm spoiled in that I can shuffle dates to get the cheapest flights, but €800 is insane!

Aww that's a pity you won't be hitting the Mill- swing by & open up a tab if you get a chance- you know you want to! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Went through there about 5 years ago, actually can't remember much about it which is probably a good thing as it means it was easy and uneventful.

Going through there again in January also (16th) heading for Ischgl, any issues I'll let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I'm gobsmacked! I suppose I'm spoiled in that I can shuffle dates to get the cheapest flights, but €800 is insane!

Aww that's a pity you won't be hitting the Mill- swing by & open up a tab if you get a chance- you know you want to! ;)

Its because the today fm trip is that week, was looking at the same flights a month back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

We're flying into Zurich for the Ischgl trip on Jan 23rd, got it at €128 round trip before baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Memmingen is very handy, its tiny, 2 baggage belts maybe, you'll need to get a bus or cab to train station then link in with all the trains, the german trains are great, if you're travelling with a group 5 or less, you can get a bayern ticket which allows all users to travel under the same ticket in the full bayern region for less that 30 quid... great value...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah went though their on the way to Soll last year, the car hire was a bit of a trek to find but other than that it was painless to drive in and out of.

lbj666 wrote: »
    Its because the today fm trip is that week, was looking at the same flights a month back.

Aha, good to know- thanks! Where are they going this year?

stevire wrote: »
    We're flying into Zurich for the Ischgl trip on Jan 23rd, got it at €128 round trip before baggage.

Interesting. Who's that with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Interesting. Who's that with?

Aer Lingus, just had a look, coming in at 190e return at the mo!

For transfer you could get train to Landeck and then bus it to Ischgl

€262 including baggage but not snowboard. Another €80. That would be the normal price I'd expect to pay to Munich but will keep it in mind for next time this happens. Cheers.

My return to Munich with Aer Lingus in March is around €315 including baggage and snowboard.

How long is that transfer?

262 including baggage but not snowboard. Another 80. That would be the normal price I'd expect to pay to Munich but will keep it in mind for next time this happens. Cheers.

My return to Munich with Aer Lingus in March is around 315 including baggage and snowboard.

Wow. I just booked Munich return for 124! It's in and ou on a Wednesday though, makes such a huge difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Not going for another few weeks but all this mildness is getting me very antsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

lbj666 wrote: »
    Not going for another few weeks but all this mildness is getting me very antsy

Same here. Am going to Val Thorens, so at least I'm guaranteed snow there, but if everyone else in the 3V is forced up to that altitude it will get very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What would chamonix be like if this continues? I'd actually well more prefer waiting till late Jan but my group couldn't go any other dates than 1st week of Jan.

Timmaay wrote: »
    What would chamonix be like if this continues?

Couldn't be any worse than this time last year! Chamonix didn't open until the weekend before xmas and even after that just Grand Montets was open for that week.

Looking at the web cams the pistes that are open look okay but reports are that you may forget about off piste which doesn't bode well for my off piste course over the new year! I'm hoping for snow mid to late next week, all it needs is one big dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Chamonix didn't open until the weekend before xmas and even after that just Grand Montets was open for that week.
    My brother was supposed to go to Chamonix last week and he ended up not going. he said only 19% of pistes were open.

Couldn't be any worse than this time last year! Chamonix didn't open until the weekend before xmas and even after that just Grand Montets was open for that week.

Looking at the web cams the pistes that are open look okay but reports are that you may forget about off piste which doesn't bode well for my off piste course over the new year! I'm hoping for snow mid to late next week, all it needs is one big dump.

Actually in fairness if sh1t hits the fan and **** all snow I'll be switching to a board for the week, all I'll need is a green somewhere high up. And some very good impact shorts ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Off to Andorra tomorrow night, absolutely buzzin, about 80% of the slopes open & temperatures dropping by Sunday! Would like a bit of fresh powder but look you can only have so much in this life! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Just had a look at the webcams in mayrhofen. Looks pretty good!!

cormee wrote: »
    My brother was supposed to go to Chamonix last week and he ended up not going. he said only 19% of pistes were open.

I'm of the mindset that 19% is better than a day in the office :D

I'm of the mindset that 19% is better than a day in the office :D

The glass is 1/5 full ha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Is anybody snow bound over Christmas!?

Advertisement