Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: Arkham Knight (performance issues)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Apparently, they've just updated the specs for the PC version of the game, the day before it releases!
    http://www.pcgamer.com/batman-arkham-knight-system-requirements-updated-just-ahead-of-launch/

By the looks of it, I would imagine AMD users are gonna be in for a bumpy ride

The joys of being part of the master race never change it seems. It's times like this I am content in a way that I moved back to consoles for general gaming as I know it will work and run fine day one.

Back when I was into PC gaming the stated minimum specs were always a joke and no could the game run on them at the best of times. I see today the minimums are far more realistic.

Still you are looking at a top end rig with a top end nVidia card just to play this. Never mind at very high settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The joys of being part of the master race never change it seems. It's times like this I am content in a way that I moved back to consoles for general gaming as I know it will work and run fine day one.

Back when I was into PC gaming the stated minimum specs were always a joke and no could the game run on them at the best of times. I see today the minimums are far more realistic.

Still you are looking at a top end rig with a top end nVidia card just to play this. Never mind at very high settings.
    Turns out they've just released some new drivers to help with it. Happened this evening too i think
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/207511695917042396

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Even for WB, releasing the real system spec's 12 hours prior to release is a scumbag move.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Apparently, they've just updated the specs for the PC version of the game, the day before it releases!
    http://www.pcgamer.com/batman-arkham-knight-system-requirements-updated-just-ahead-of-launch/

By the looks of it, I would imagine AMD users are gonna be in for a bumpy ride

Thats down to Rocksteady using NVIDIA propitiatory libraries, similar to what happened with Witcher and Project Cars. Week or two to allow AMD to investigate the game and optimise accordingly as they won't have been allowed to before release.

Nvidia at it again, sigh

Probably wont play this for a while until I finish the previous three (played them just never finished)

Got my copy from G2A, premium edition(including season pass) for €40

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Guide to remove the 30 FPS lock from the config file.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/594821545178197903/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just played about 45 minutes there. Looks really good but it also looks like the batmobile is going to be rammed down our throat. Suppose I'll wait and see. Spend about 15/20 minutes of that in the batmobile as a tank.

Game looks great. Built-In game benchmarks were giving me 60 fps with my GTX 970 but the game wont go above 30fps in game.
    (Just saw the link above for the FPS lock)
    Getting some pretty bad stuttering too. Think it's linked to the video ram using above 3.5GB which is notorious for causing stuttering on the 970 card. Might have to play around with the settings tomorrow to see if I can remedy that.

Anyone else experiencing stuttering?

It's quite the sensory overload at first. I've played the other games (loved Asylum) but there is WAY too much to take in at the start. So many icons, systems, upgrade paths, controls and they barely make it easy to find out all the information you need. Kind of thrown in the deep end really.

Cant seem to turn off motion blur in the config file without the game crashing. There is no setting in the game menu to turn it off. Its horrible.

Wow, this game really hasn't been optimised. Frame rate drops to 17 fps in the batmobile :eek:

I am running 2 x windforce 970's in SLI and I am using the latest Nvidia driver update.

I think I'll leave this game alone for a few weeks. Plenty of other games to play while this will get a load of updates in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

SLI/Crossfire does not play well with new games. It never has. You get more bang for your buck performance wise, but only if the drivers are mature. It's why I wont go near SLI anymore. I dont want to wait 2 months to play a new game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thanks for that last minute spec change lads and ladies. 12 fking hours before launch and when I have the game preloaded, you decide to tell me that I'm no longer running beefy enough hardware.

It's difficult to justify AMD cards when they get consistently shat on with these sorts of "we're in bed with nVidia" issues - even more so when you have Crossfire.

I wouldn't mind but I was supposed to be the proud owner of a 970 by now but had a pile of Doctor visits this last couple of months, I even have a new power supply waiting to install with it.

I have only myself to blame I suppose. Never pre-ordering games again, even if it is a €50 price reduction! :) I hope everyone is enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Shiminay wrote: »
    Thanks for that last minute spec change lads and ladies. 12 fking hours before launch and when I have the game preloaded, you decide to tell me that I'm no longer running beefy enough hardware.

I feel your pain. I've an i5 750, and a 2GB 7870, and read about the spec increase this morning after it'd preloaded. :mad:

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    SLI/Crossfire does not play well with new games. It never has. You get more bang for your buck performance wise, but only if the drivers are mature. It's why I wont go near SLI anymore. I dont want to wait 2 months to play a new game.
    Witcher 3 played beautifully on Day 1. I do take your point though however gamers with SLI and single card are reporting the issues. The devs even locked the game to 30 FPS.

There is defintely more to this than SLI/Crossfire. I lowered my resolution, turned loads of settings down and while the frame rate improved it still dips down like crazy during certain scenes. The in game settings are useless with very little options. No options for AA other than on or off. No motion blur on off toggle, basicly no advanced graphic settings.

I look forward to playing it when they sort it out. I wonder if reviewers were playing console copies.

. I wonder if reviewers were playing console copies.

Looks that way. Take a look at the link, the only people happy with it on PC have high end systems with nVidia cards.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/batman-arkham-knight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So the game has denuvo DRM. That's the reason I never bought Max Payne 3. And as much as I love The Witcher 3 and the previous batman games, I'm never buying an nvidia gameworks game ever again.

Looks like I'll be skipping this one, lads. Remember your steam refunds. Otherwise, have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not looking good http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/06/22/pc-version-of-batman-arkham-knight-is-hot-garbage-amd-and-nvidia-users-both-unhappy/

I expect the Steam refunds team are gonna be pretty busy over the next 48 hours

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650

Quick adjustment to remove the horrible amount of startup logos so you can get straight to the start screen.

Warner Bro's the publisher behind this game?
    ****ty move about the DLC policy and now another ****ty move to change system specs last minute for PC users
    I have to laugh every time I hear somebody say they have pre-ordered only to be shafted for some way or another
    Stop pre-ordering titles it's simple as, For the above though the only possible benefit for a PC user is that they have it downloaded in advance
    Then for retail hardly ever does a big AAA launch title get sold out it's always the same
    I will stroll in at lunch time and pick it up of the shelve and if I don't I will eat my hat

Shiminay wrote: »

It's difficult to justify AMD cards when they get consistently shat on with these sorts of "we're in bed with nVidia" issues - even more so when you have Crossfire.

I wouldn't mind but I was supposed to be the proud owner of a 970 by now but had a pile of Doctor visits this last couple of months, I even have a new power supply waiting to install with it.

I have only myself to blame I suppose. Never pre-ordering games again, even if it is a €50 price reduction! :) I hope everyone is enjoying it.

I think this is going to be the norm for the next 12 months until either AMD start to go the way NVIDIA have with their libraries, or developers start realising tacking Nvidia on their game is not worth the extra few bob for the wearyness caused by consumers.

So in summary Arkham Knight for PC is locked at 30fps(lol) and requires you to **** around with the config to unlock the FPS.

Again the game uses Nvidia exclusive libraries, which are absolutely horrendous at this point, but more frustrating allows no heads up time for AMD to optimise. They literally get to work on optimisation once a game is released.

So for AMD users it looks like a week or so before a driver update will launch to help. For older Nvidia users (700 series) you seem to get the same shady **** as Witcher 3.

Basically same sort of stuff applies, turn off all the **** Nvidia bundled in related to gameworks, look into config to unlock FPS, and then keep an eye for drivers if you are an AMD user.

If anything this has further entrenched my happyness at buying AMD, even if it does mean a week or two of suffering or waiting, I'd more happily support them over Nvidia who are literally ruining major game launches with their trash libraries.

Worth noting not everyone is affected, but obviously if you see reddit or steam(where reviews are now locked from so much neg feedback) you'll see its another title the PC community are up in arms about.

I'm not too flustered. New WoW patch/raid this week so would barely have time for this game, and want to complete the original three, but I guess for day one adopters it's frustrating.

Although it's not the first game to have issues day one, and it won't be the last. So in certain regards there needs to be some chill

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Warner Bro's the publisher behind this game?
    ****ty move about the DLC policy and now another ****ty move to change system specs last minute for PC users
    I have to laugh every time I hear somebody say they have pre-ordered only to be shafted for some way or another
    Stop pre-ordering titles it's simple as, For the above though the only possible benefit for a PC user is that they have it downloaded in advance
    Then for retail hardly ever does a big AAA launch title get sold out it's always the same
    I will stroll in at lunch time and pick it up of the shelve and if I don't I will eat my hat

In fairness the console launch looks to have been fine, with reports for PS4 and Xbox one being really positive. Was watching some PS4 streams last night and the game looks beautiful, granted a console FPS, but it looks fine.

Most of the issues I'm seeing and reading are all PC related, but in some regards thats kinda something PC gamers should be able to deal with at this stage.

The game also appears to have a massive memory leak on PC, not sure about consoles, but the PC version has a bad leak, so that will probably be fixed with a patch today.

More these issues occur with top titles and respected developers, more it appears people are being burnt by Nvidia imo.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Well..... looks like I'm glad I'm getting this one on console.... albeit in a few days.

Warner Bros are a total bunch of knobs

As if the DLC stuff wasn't nonsense enough, now they feck up the PC specs and such.

I don't know why WB are getting **** on this regard.

If anything, they might have spotted the PC issues right before launch, and upgraded the specs, to ensure people are eligible for the refund platforms now available on steam and some other places. If anything this is a really good guy move.

It will also entitle those who buy physical PC copies refunds if they so wish, as unless the store advises customers of the chagne (which I know two stores werent) customers will be entitled to refunds if they so wish due to the change in spec requirements.

In reality, if you had a machine that could play Witcher3, you will play this fine, it will just need a driver update for AMD users and an early patch from Rocksteady. Who no doubt have things in place to get a launchday patch out, on launchday.

TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness the console launch looks to have been fine, with reports for PS4 and Xbox one being really positive. Was watching some PS4 streams last night and the game looks beautiful, granted a console FPS, but it looks fine.

Most of the issues I'm seeing and reading are all PC related, but in some regards thats kinda something PC gamers should be able to deal with at this stage.

The game also appears to have a massive memory leak on PC, not sure about consoles, but the PC version has a bad leak, so that will probably be fixed with a patch today.

More these issues occur with top titles and respected developers, more it appears people are being burnt by Nvidia imo.

My point was addressing the PC version but I suppose I was also having a go at pre-orders in general.
    Like I could start nit-picking at the console release to say that consumers still don't know nor has it been confirmed by publishers / devs that this game is 900p or 1080p on X1 when the game has launched which is another sneaky move IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

TheDoc wrote: »
    If anything, they might have spotted the PC issues right before launch, and upgraded the specs, to ensure people are eligible for the refund platforms now available on steam and some other places. If anything this is a really good guy move.

It will also entitle those who buy physical PC copies refunds if they so wish, as unless the store advises customers of the chagne (which I know two stores werent) customers will be entitled to refunds if they so wish due to the change in spec requirements.

How does any of that help fans of the series who wanted to play the game day 1?

Players wanted a game 1st, and refunds 2nd. If I had gotten this on PC I'd be disappointed and there's no way being eligible for a refund would be anything more than scant consellation.

Well..... looks like I'm glad I'm getting this one on console.... albeit in a few days.

Warner Bros are a total bunch of knobs

As if the DLC stuff wasn't nonsense enough, now they feck up the PC specs and such.

The 30fps lock, long splash screens etc exist on console... With no fix... likely ever.

The 30fps lock, long splash screens etc exist on console... With no fix... likely ever.

That kind of stuff doesn't bother me at all in the slightest to be honest

Why does 30fps lock on consoles need to be fixed? The console versions were designed that way, it's not a flaw, it's a design choice. A console is a fixed spec, a known quantity and they work off that.

A PC is a scalable machine so it's apples and oranges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My housemate bought this, his machine can run Hardline, Witcher 3, etc at high settings, he has to play Arkham Knight at low settings to get a playable framerate, and it still drops to single digit frames occasionally, frequently drops to sub-20, etc. Total disaster. Totally unforgivable - this isn't Crysis 3, the game doesn't even look particularly good.

I can see the consoles getting slated for this bad PC port.

That's some level 9,000 Deflection Skills right there! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 BenHK

****ing consoles....

This is why we can't have nice things...

That kind of stuff doesn't bother me at all in the slightest to be honest

Not too many reasons to be favoring the console version then considering that's the bulk of issues.

• Advertisement

Not too many reasons to be favoring the console version then considering that's the bulk of issues.

There are no issues with console versions though.......:pac::D

Advertisement