Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

And thats that unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pure rubbish from Federer in that service game, can't be doing that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Reckon that's it :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Fed absolutely useless out there today. Might as well stay in bed if you're gonna play like that.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Fed absolutely useless out there today. Might as well stay in bed if you're gonna play like that.

His return of service today has been very poor.

• Advertisement

The quality of tennis in the last set and a half has really dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 55,042 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fed playing quite poorly now. Again giving away soft points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Ah fcuk it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

too good, way too good, hats off

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Think Henman and Roddick are providing plenty of technical analysis. Castle is there to appeal to casual fans. I know a lot of people can't stand him but it's about a balance. I've heard Castle do "proper" tennis chat and commentary and he's very knowledgable but he's there to facilitate Henman and Roddick's analysis, not give his own. Most people watching aren't avid tennis fans and Wimbledon might be the only tennis they watch in a year. Castle knows this is the audience- that's why you get comments on the ball kids, celebs, the crowd on Henman Hill, the roof, explaining the rules etc. Sky and Eurosport can go more in-depth and technical because that's what the audience wants. A BBC1 audience is broad and they have to strike a balance to appeal to everyone.

I disagree, many times during the game there were exciting incidents and they just said nothing.
    No talk of what Federer needed to do etc. Just awful stuff in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just looking at the crowd reactions in the slow mo replay - its fair to say the wrong man won!

Just looking at the crowd reactions in the slow mo replay - its fair to say the wrong man won!

crowd was lucky that djokovic didn't come up to one of them in the second last game there.

corporate crowds at the finals are the worst. generally clueless and probably don't know any players name bar fed, nadal and murray...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

The BBC not doing much to dispel tennis's working class roots with those close ups of the champagne being served. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Delighted with djokovic victory , after watching wimbledon for 2 weeks my net was knackered today :((

I'll get to see the highlights somehow ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

The BBC not doing much to dispel tennis's working class roots with those close ups of the champagne being served. :P

Mumm's the word.

lostcat wrote: »
    too good, way too good, hats off

Federer played well for the first two sets and should have won the first set .
    After the second set he seemed to tail off .
    Too many unforced errors and poor shot choice at the vital time.
    If Federer still wants anything, he should start working on his mentality. I don't think his ground game is gone, he's just become too insecure to hit with conviction when things get tight.

He was very poor at reading Djokovics serve throughout ,he did very little on the first serve.
    Some of the efforts at return were amateurish.
    On the second serve he decided to cut the ball back far too often instead of hitting flatter aggressive shots.
    Cutting back a second serve at 75mph is nonsense.
    He should be all over that.

I'm tired of hearing all of these pundits saying Federer is playing as well as he ever did ,its just not true.
    In his prime you'd put your house on him in a tie break .

Prime Federer would have comfortably won that match in 3 sets.
    Djokovic played well for a set and a half but he was suspect on his serve in alot of games.
    He played a pushing game today ,relying on Roger to make errors .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fair play Djokovic, played a great match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Djokovic is a great guy and a great champion, as is Roger. Two fantastic ambassadors for the sport!

I'm tired of hearing all of these pundits saying Federer is playing as well as he ever did ,its just not true.

Prime Federer may have looked a whole lot better because he was beating players not to the level of Nole and Nadal at their primes. No way any version of Fed has it easy against the current and recent Nole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I don't see how anyone ever beats peak Nole easily. I find him boring but he's a machine.

walshb wrote: »
    Prime Federer may have looked a whole lot better because he was beating players not to the level of Nole and Nadal at their primes. No way any version of Fed has it easy against the current and recent Nole.

two days ago Federer was playing 'as well as ever', 'back to his best' etc

now suddenly he isn't? I don't buy it as immediately people are trying to diminish djokovics achievement here. He pressurised Federer into mistakes and taking risks today.

Prime fed was half a yard faster than this fed, (which, granted, is a lot), and could well have won this match, but highly unlikely to have won in three sets.

Even when primer fed was beating pre prime djokovic a lot, there was a lot of 7/5 sets and close matches stats wise.

now suddenly he isn't? I don't buy it as immediately people are trying to diminish djokovics achievement here. He pressurised Federer into mistakes and taking risks today.

Prime fed was half a yard faster than this fed, (which, granted, is a lot), and could well have won this match, but highly unlikely to have won in three sets.

Even when primer fed was beating pre prime djokovic a lot, there was a lot of 7/5 sets and close matches stats wise.

That is just it. At any stage of Fed's career the likes of pre prime Nole and Nadal were hell for him. Fed to me is the most beautiful and stylistic player ever, but that gets lost on some, which then sees him elevated far too high compared to some others. They may not like the rugged, and at times, not pretty tennis of Nadal and Nole, but that doesn't mean Federer is somehow far superior to them. No version of Federer that I have seen has it easy against an in form Nole. It's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Wicklow Brave

Slightly underwhelming today I must say. I was hoping Federer could come out and play like he did against Murray but Djokovic is a different league altogether. Tbh Murray is flattered when people talk about a Big 4, Fed, Nadal and Djokovic are 3 of the greatest players ever, if not the three greatest. Fed just couldn't get into his rhythm and made too many errors but that is what Djokovic does to you.

Prime Federer in his mid twenties would comfortably beat Djokovic.

His serve was better ,he was faster,he had more stamina,his forehand was vastly better and his backhand also .
    He rarely shanked the ball or made such errors like today.
    He was mentally tougher too.

If you look at the games Federer lost on his serve today ,most of them were down to unforced errors .They were bad games by Federer more than good games by Djokovic.

He pushed Djokovic for 2 sets ,and he had more break points and Djokovic was made to work harder on his serve.
    Djokovic grinded away but that level would not be good enough against prime Federer .

That Federer was more than half a yard faster than the current one,look at his court coverage .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Another day, another doubles title for Hingis. Won it a bit easier today. Paes and herself beat Peya/Babos 6-1, 6-1. Great to see Leander still out there at 42. He's the Lisa Raymond of men's doubles...just keeps going.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Federer played well for the first two sets and should have won the first set .
    After the second set he seemed to tail off .
    Too many unforced errors and poor shot choice at the vital time.
    If Federer still wants anything, he should start working on his mentality. I don't think his ground game is gone, he's just become too insecure to hit with conviction when things get tight.

He was very poor at reading Djokovics serve throughout ,he did very little on the first serve.
    Some of the efforts at return were amateurish.
    On the second serve he decided to cut the ball back far too often instead of hitting flatter aggressive shots.
    Cutting back a second serve at 75mph is nonsense.
    He should be all over that.

Djokovic played well for a set and a half but he was suspect on his serve in alot of games.
    He played a pushing game today ,relying on Roger to make errors .

I'd go with almost every word of that. Fed never got into a rhythm, because Djokovic just trashed returns back onto his feet. Nadal had Fed on his backhand, and Djokovic has an older slower Fed on his returns. Fed needed to hit the lines today, but he couldn't do it due to the pressure that was exerted on him.

His serve was better ,he was faster,he had more stamina,his forehand was vastly better and his backhand also .
    He rarely shanked the ball or made such errors like today.
    He was mentally tougher too.

If you look at the games Federer lost on his serve today ,most of them were down to unforced errors .They were bad games by Federer more than good games by Djokovic.

He pushed Djokovic for 2 sets ,and he had more break points and Djokovic was made to work harder on his serve.
    Djokovic grinded away but that level would not be good enough against prime Federer .

That Federer was more than half a yard faster than the current one,look at his court coverage .

Get over the past. Highlight reels mean little when you weigh it up. Simple: Nole is an ATG. No matter how good Fed is or was he will be in a match. Like it has been said, when Fed was closer to his "prime success" years he was still losing to Nole and Nadal, as well as winning close and clear games. Nole at that time wasn't the player he is today or recently.

You probably believe that a prime Mac beats Nole too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Djokovic was the better player today but still was an overall disappointment as a spectacle for me. Federer needed to AND should have put the 1st set away, Federer is never going to beat Novak in a best of 5 when losing the first set anymore. Thought we had a match after the second set but the 3rd and 4th were a bit meh with some scattered brilliance from Novak, especially towards the end of the 4th; Djokovic was playing some unreal stuff at that stage.

A great championship overall though, would have loved to have gotten Murray-Nadal in the quarters though, and Stan-Djokovic in the semi.

Roll on some US hardcourts. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Agreed, prime Fed was just God incarnate. No way that younger man would have lost today. Nole wouldn't be able to run him around and young Fed could end points early on a whim whenever he wanted. He seemed to just will the winners into existence.
    walshb wrote: »
    You probably believe that a prime Mac beats Nole too?

Send Nole out on the old courts with a Dunlop Maxply and I bet he'd have a harder time of it than you think.

Advertisement