Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

SlickRic wrote: »
    Unbeatable in this form.

However, Muguruza coming out to try and just out-hit her seems a bit silly.

What match are you watching? Muguruza attempted to play down the middle to cut off the angles for most of the match. It is only in the last couple of games she has hit toe to toe and actually got a bit of success doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Question: where would Serena rank in the men's game?

McEnroe, Roddick and Henman were actually asked that on 6-Love-6 on 5Live the other night. Roddick, who is friends with Serena, seemed to think it would be in the hundreds and thought Serena would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Unbeatable in this form.

However, Muguruza coming out to try and just out-hit her seems a bit silly.

That's her game it's what has got her to the final. Can't suddenly change just because it's a final. Fighting back brilliantly here now

• Registered Users Posts: 36,171 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Serena is some whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,042 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Be a little funny if the Spaniard clawed back to win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Serena's wobbling seriously. Pressure of the Serena slam is getting to her I'd say.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Hilarious ending. Nobody knew what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Congratulations Serena, you're not my favourite by any way and you could work on your personality but your contribution to tennis is immortal. Best women's player of all time by some way. I hope she wins the US Open as a grand slam would be a fitting tribute to a great career.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,850 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Complete silence when Serena won
    No one cheered
    No one cared
    Even when called '' game set match'' muted applause
    Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 36,171 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

She's unbelievable, but I'm just bored of it.

Someone needs to step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Question: where would Serena rank in the men's game?

And where would the 2nd best woman rank?

The question on everyone's minds :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great stuff from Williams again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The question on everyone's minds :rolleyes:

Don't spend all night thinking about it.
    You need your sleep.

Complete silence when Serena won
    No one cheered
    No one cared
    Even when called '' game set match'' muted applause
    Weird

They were confused they thought one of the shots was out or there was a challenge or something.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ben Rothenberg ‏@BenRothenberg 3m3 minutes ago Merton, London
    Everyone else combined only equals Serena's 21 Slams:

Venus 7
    Sharapova 5
    Azarenka 2
    Kvitova 2
    Kuznetsova 2
    Ivanovic 1
    Schiavone 1
    Stosur 1

Wow.

Now as happy as I am for Serena... can someone else start winning please? :pac:

Was a good final overall, fair play to Serena she is just so good. Muguruza is a great talent hope she can kick on now and be a contender in most Grand slams.
    Was it only me, or did Venus look a bit peed off. She had a serious head on her every time they showed her no smile or cheering etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

She's unbelievable, but I'm just bored of it.

Someone needs to step up.

Agreed. There has to be someone out there that can stop her. Azarenka seems to be closest.

Would have liked to have seen Serena vs. Petra.....provided both were at 100%. Maybe next year!

I can't remember a time when Serena's serve deserted her......anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Stevecw wrote: »
    Was a good final overall, fair play to Serena she is just so good. Muguruza is a great talent hope she can kick on now and be a contender in most Grand slams.
    Was it only me, or did Venus look a bit peed off. She had a serious head on her every time they showed her no smile or cheering etc.

Like that all the time these days it seems. Her opponents not only have to beat her tennis but also her attitude. Can't imagine she's the most popular player on the circuit? Did you see the French Open - couldn't walk one minute and belting winners the next.. not my cup of tea in terms of attitude anyway :(

BarryD wrote: »
    Like that all the time these days it seems. Her opponents not only have to beat her tennis but also her attitude. Can't imagine she's the most popular player on the circuit? Did you see the French Open - couldn't walk one minute and belting winners the next.. not my cup of tea in terms of attitude anyway :(

Are you talking about Venus or Serena?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

John.Icy wrote: »
    I can't remember whether someone had said it about him or whether Roger said himself in an interview, that one more Wimbledon and he'd retire on the spot? Wonder if he actually would.

EDIT: Can't find anything online so it must have been someone else passing comment!

Aargh!! Don't even say that. I've booked 3 days at the BNP Paribas Masters in November just to see Fed in the flesh. Still want him to get number 8, mind.

• Advertisement

Will Serena play Bastad next week though? That's what we all want to know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Some good doubles!! Looking forward to the women's match later. Hope Hingis and Mirza win.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Someone get Mirza off that court; she is just killing Hingis right now. No idea what to do on a doubles court.

Send me out there with my racket and I'd do a better job.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Someone get Mirza off that court; she is just killing Hingis right now. No idea what to do on a doubles court.

She's the #1 ranked doubles player at the moment so I think she has some idea..... although, she's not having a great day today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

She's the #1 ranked doubles player at the moment

Well it's all down to her partners that's for damn sure.

Delighted for Hingis, 17 years on from her last doubles win there. In the mixed final tomorrow too. But every time I see her play I keep wondering how she would have done in singles for the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

One of the matches of the championships for me. Delighted for Hingis & Mirza! A first Wimbledon title in 17 years for Hingis and a first major doubles title for Mirza, who becomes the 1st Indian woman to win a women's doubles Slam. Brilliant performance from both, especially to come back from 5-2 down in the 3rd. Love the way they play and both seemed to be enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Rob2D wrote: »

well she came good in the end ;) some cracking shots off her

on a side note - after all these years i just can't warm to martina hingus i reckon behind that cheesy grin she's a right spoilt b!tch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

John.Icy wrote: »
    I can't remember whether someone had said it about him or whether Roger said himself in an interview, that one more Wimbledon and he'd retire on the spot? Wonder if he actually would.

EDIT: Can't find anything online so it must have been someone else passing comment!

He's on 79 match wins at Wimby so he'll definitely hang around to beat Connors' record of 84 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Djokovic probably wins this for me (60/40).

I think too much has been made of Federers semi - he was amazing but Murray played into his hands.

Djokovic usually stands up on the baseline and attacks far more against Federer than he generally does, and he just has to play very well today to win. I think this is very possible. He wont have the rather muddled tactics that he tried to employ in the French final to think about, he knows the crowd will be 98% Federer, but he coped with this last year. He has just put together one of the most dominant 6/8 months ever seen in mens tennis, he is the No. 1 and the defending champion. All this has to count for something to him when he steps onto the court.

Federer is unlikely to play quite as freely today because he wont be let. He hit 29 aces in last years final and was still broken 4 times.

If Federer wins this, it will probably rank amongst his best slam wins ever, taking everything into account.

Advertisement