Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Recliner wrote: »
    I bought the fancy funghi or whatever they're called. What did people do with them? I was thinking of cooking them in some butter and thyme, add some cream and have on toasted sourdough?
    Opinions or other ideas please.

They are yummy - taste like real mushrooms. Your serving suggestion sounds lovely. I use them for risotto or omlettes. Or here is a link to a Kevin Dundon recipe that they would work in also.

https://www.sundayworld.com/lifestyle/food/kevins-kitchen-wild-mushroom-tagliatelle-and-blue-cheese-bruschetta-39635441.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Ryath

I liked them in this Jamie Oliver recipe Pappardele with wild Mushrooms
    It's from his first book and a meal I still make regularly 20 years later. Very little prep and can be cooked in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm not big into spicy food but I do enjoy it occasionally so picked up the spice bag style chicken breast fillet pieces. It comes with a big sache of the spice mix which I just poured over completely and stuck it in the oven. First bite started me hiccuping and I knew then I'd messed up, struggled through quarter of it just because I was so hungry. My mouth is still a bit numb 45 minutes later. I'd say a very light sprinkling, about 10% of the saches contents, would have been enough to make it tasty and edible. I'd still recommend it just dont make the same mistake I did

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

jordata wrote: »
    They are yummy - taste like real mushrooms. Your serving suggestion sounds lovely. I use them for risotto or omlettes. Or here is a link to a Kevin Dundon recipe that they would work in also.

https://www.sundayworld.com/lifestyle/food/kevins-kitchen-wild-mushroom-tagliatelle-and-blue-cheese-bruschetta-39635441.html

God, that sounds gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

Ryath wrote: »
    I liked them in this Jamie Oliver recipe Pappardele with wild Mushrooms
    It's from his first book and a meal I still make regularly 20 years later. Very little prep and can be cooked in 5 minutes.

Again, this is my kind of cooking, simple but bags of flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

nc6000 wrote: »
    I saw these in my Aldi last night so picked up a bag, can't say I saw them before but there seemed to be plenty in the freezer and no indication they were being discontinued.

We had the skin-on fries, they were very nice. Went to get some more but there were none in the freezer. It seems buying only one bag when you see them is stock was a rookie mistake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Plenty of the skin on chips in Letterkenny this afternoon. The "no beef" burgers seem to be gone though, just the jack fruit ones available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

Plenty of the skin on chips in Letterkenny this afternoon.

Lots in Blackrock, Dublin too. Looking forward to finally trying them.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

nc6000 wrote: »
    We had the skin-on fries, they were very nice. Went to get some more but there were none in the freezer. It seems buying only one bag when you see them is stock was a rookie mistake. :)

No stock of them in my Aldi yesterday either and the price sticker wasnt on the freezers so they must be out of them where I am. I have 1.5 bags in the freezer but if they show up in store again I'll be getting three bags just to make sure :D

I made garlic cheese chips with them last night using that Heinz Turkish style garlic sauce and some grated cheddar melted on top, it was a very tasty Friday night tv dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    No stock of them in my Aldi yesterday either and the price sticker wasnt on the freezers so they must be out of them where I am. I have 1.5 bags in the freezer but if they show up in store again I'll be getting three bags just to make sure :D

I made garlic cheese chips with them last night using that Heinz Turkish style garlic sauce and some grated cheddar melted on top, it was a very tasty Friday night tv dinner.

Where can this stuff be bought???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

McMurphy wrote: »

and Tesco, who also do an own brand version (that I havent tried) that is slightly bigger and a bit cheaper

McMurphy wrote: »

Id say Tesco the best bet for it, my SV and Dunnes sometimes have it but Tesco always seem to have it. It comes up in the middle aisles in Aldi too but only every few months and at the same price it is in Tesco anyway (1.99).

Search it out if you can, its a really tasty garlic sauce with a nice tang to it, it goes very well as a dipping sauce with the Aldi Carlos garlic pizza breads too and for spicy chicken wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

con747 wrote: »
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    and Tesco, who also do an own brand version (that I havent tried) that is slightly bigger and a bit cheaper
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Id say Tesco the best bet for it, my SV and Dunnes sometimes have it but Tesco always seem to have it. It comes up in the middle aisles in Aldi too but only every few months and at the same price it is in Tesco anyway (1.99).

Search it out if you can, its a really tasty garlic sauce with a nice tang to it, it goes very well as a dipping sauce with the Aldi Carlos garlic pizza breads too and for spicy chicken wings.

It was located in Tesco today, it was brought home, and it was served on the side of my plate as a dipping sauce for the roasted pork, with sauteed spuds and corn I had made for me this evening when I got home from work.

You lads know your stuff. This is awesome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭con747

Just in case anyone has these in the freezer and missed the recall message.
    Aldi has recalled ALL batches of two separate chicken products over Salmonella fears.

Roosters Southern Fried Poppin’ Chicken and Roosters Breaded Poppin’ Chicken products were sold in Aldi supermarkets all over Ireland.

A notice that had been previously placed on the Food Safety Authority of Ireland's website has now been updated to recall ALL of these chicken products. The recall reads: "Further to FSAI Food Alert 2020.62 and FSAI Food Alert 2020.62 (Update 1), Aldi is extending its recall to include all batches and all best before dates of Roosters Southern Fried Poppin’ Chicken and Roosters Breaded Poppin’ Chicken.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

fin12 wrote: »

Any price on this? I note it’s £60 but with our excise etc

Oops EDIT - I now see it in the link €78.68 cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

vicwatson wrote: »
    Any price on this? I note it’s £60 but with our excise etc

Oops EDIT - I now see it in the link €78.68 cheers

Is it in yet, nothing in ours yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyone's Aldi shutting down the non essential stuff yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

whiskeyman wrote: »

No, why have you seen this? I didn’t hear they would....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

snowgal wrote: »
    No, why have you seen this? I didn’t hear they would....

Well WW3 seems to have broken out over who can sell what, and what is essential, so nothing would surprise me!

is anyone sees the chilli jam (or even better, the set of three dips/dressings) can they please let us know here? I discovered these last year thanks to this thread, am looking forward to treating myself again! (I think they were Christmas specials)

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »

no and I dont think they will be either, they've always sold stuff in the middle aisles and have long pipelines for the various offers that come up.

Varadkar did say the Gardai would be cracking down on shops who are selling non essential items and then also offering face masks, hand sanitiser, etc in order to call themselves an essential business that can remain open. Thats what I think the crux of the issue is, not Aldi or Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I got the heinz Turkish garlic mayo today in my local Iceland. Just made a simple dinner with the skin on chips, that mayo and grated cheese over the top. Absolutely incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

Aldi just announced they're pulling non-essential special buys:

Aldi Ireland (@Aldi_Ireland) Tweeted:
    In line with Government guidance, we are postponing all non-essential product Specialbuy promotions. One-off Specialbuy offers on essential products will continue to be placed on sale each Thursday and Sunday. Thanks for your cooperation and patience in these challenging times.

https://twitter.com/Aldi_Ireland/status/1321504355963572224?s=20

Lidl announced same a few minutes earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

What about those recommendations then?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: I have deleted a pile of off-topic posts from this thread. I’d like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that this is the Aldi recommendations thread, not the Aldi and Covid thread. Food and drink (I.e. the remit of this forum) are considered essential items so are not affected by the current restrictions. Any impact of the restrictions won’t be on food, so I’d ask that you keep those discussions to the Coronavirus forum or more appropriate threads, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I got the salt and vinegar 'stackers' (i.e. Pringles knock-off) today after a recommendation on this thread from a few weeks back. Today was the first time I've seen them in store for a number of weeks (oos on a continuous basis). I must say they're delicious :D (I should have bought more!)

In terms of recommendations, I really rate the Atlantic wheaten brown bread from Donegal. It's a little bit more expensive than the other brown/ whole-meal breads, but tastes lovely. Really nice paired with the Specially selected sliced vintage cheddar cheese or fresh specially selected vegetable soup :) Now that the weather has become much colder these days, I'm favouring soup now rather than salads!

Speaking of nice warm, autumnal comfort foods (nice segue there, if I should say so myself!), the fresh sticky toffee pudding that you heat in the microwave (paired with whipped cream) is delicious. I think it's €2.79 (450g).

Sticky toffee pudding
    maxresdefault.jpg

Atlantic Wheaten brown bread
    EKjsojQWsAYvxvR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That brown bread looks lovely - must try :) I also love the Stackers - don't like salt and vinegar though, so it's the sour cream and onion ones I got - the actual crisps are smaller in size than the pringles I think but they are still delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

I second the recommendation on the Atlantic Wheaten Brown bread, saw it for the first time last Christmas and have been buying it since, it's a step above other pre-packaged brown breads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Cazale wrote: »
    Aldi have a new 750g beef stew in a sealed pack that you add water and veg to and slow cook. Made it the other day and it was terrible. One of the worst meals I've had in a long time. The beef was cheap and there was big lumps of fat in it. Awful stuff.

Did a lovely slow cooked chili with their beef brisket and did another gorgeous slow cooked beef and Guinness stew recently with their diced beef. I'll stick to making it from scratch in future.

I had this last night and I thought it was really nice. Cooked it for 5/6 hours on high in the slow cooker with some veg and potatos added. Also added a beef stock pot but I don't think it needed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

We got the white choc and regular choc hazelnut spread recently and my god it's amazing for very reasonable price

Way cheaper than Nutella. Probably not as much hazelnut but still really good!

Advertisement