Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nutella is mostly palm oil anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Dial Hard wrote: »

Must admit I wasn't aware of that

Never tasted Nutella before a week ago

Too many nut allergies in the house to have it there (new approach for the kids means we have to have it now - well have to is a stretch but we have to have nuts)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone seen the jars of sliced jalapenos in their local recently? Have been looking for them for almost 3 weeks now but they're never in their usual spot among the gherkins and capers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I bought the foodies store trail mix and mango mix (decent enough)
    and their crunchy peanut butter - "No Palm Oil" but I haven't tried that yet.
    I must admit, I didn't realise that (or really, why) palm oil was an issue. I looked it up last night after buying it, and read some crazy stats.
    I don't know if all true or any exaggerated, but even if a small amount weren't it made for grim reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

is that the plastic tub of peanut butter? that's the best peanut butter going around at the minute. 100% peanuts and not too dry either. looks weird when you open it at first needs a good mix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Beanstalk wrote: »
    is that the plastic tub of peanut butter? that's the best peanut butter going around at the minute. 100% peanuts and not too dry either. looks weird when you open it at first needs a good mix

Put it upside down in the cupboard when get home (before you open it)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the jars of sliced jalapenos in their local recently? Have been looking for them for almost 3 weeks now but they're never in their usual spot among the gherkins and capers.

I noted their absence the last time I was in; I hope it's only temporary! I need my fix.

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Staplor wrote: »
    Put it upside down in the cupboard when get home (before you open it)
    I only noticed these posts after I opened it.. Weird is one way to describe it.. :eek::D
    Very runny. I mixed it up loads, but was still pretty runny. I put it in the fridge then.

I will remember the upside down thing for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I noted their absence the last time I was in; I hope it's only temporary! I need my fix.

yeah thought it strange that jalapenos seemed to have gone missing, will get some in Dunnes later if Aldi still dont have them as its chilli cheese nachos here tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Nutella Hazelnut Chocolate Spread 1Kg

Ingredients
    Sugar, Palm Oil, Hazelnuts (13%), Fat-Reduced Cocoa (7.4%), Skimmed Milk Powder (6.6%), Whey Powder (Milk), Emulsifier: Lecithin (Soya), Vanillin

Sugars are 56.8g/100g. Nothing much else to contribute to that apart from the added sugar. Hazelnuts: say 0.5g?

Palm oil must be about 20%, depending how much whey powder is in it.

Source: https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=289431243

I was bored, OK? :)

• Advertisement

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    I second the recommendation on the Atlantic Wheaten Brown bread, saw it for the first time last Christmas and have been buying it since, it's a step above other pre-packaged brown breads

Bought this for the first time today and we just had it with a big fryup, it's absolutely gorgeous, I always bought the award winning brown bread but will definitely be buying this in future, thanks for the recommendations all.

I bought 2 of the Saturday night pizzas last week ,we didn't really like them tbh so will stick with Chicago Town ones , the Aldi specially selected frozen wedges are gorgeous, been buying them for years now and nothing else compares imo.

The juices (100%fruit) are lovely, my gang love the apple but my favourite is the orange and mango.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah thought it strange that jalapenos seemed to have gone missing, will get some in Dunnes later if Aldi still dont have them as its chilli cheese nachos here tonight

I think you've made the decision to have chilli cheese nachos tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

We had the Ribeye Beef Joint for dinner tonight. According to the sticker it's a new offering. Roasted it according to this recipe https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/ribeye-roast/ and it came out absolutely tender, pink and tasty. Will be buying this again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Suckit wrote: »
    I only noticed these posts after I opened it.. Weird is one way to describe it.. :eek::
    100% peanut butter should be runny/separating, its the solid uniform stuff that should be considered weird! they usually put palm oil in it to stop it separating.
    tangy wrote: »
    Nutella Hazelnut Chocolate Spread 1Kg

Palm oil
    Tesco have a fancy looking Italian brand now with none
    Pan Di Stelle Cream is the delicious new cocoa hazelnut spread made with 100% Italian hazelnuts, dreamy cocoa, milk and tiny Pan di Stelle cookie crumbles for a little extra goodness. Made in Italy, with NO palm oil**

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=305583401

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

igCorcaigh wrote: »

We tried that the other night - it's not bad. Tasted much nicer after being open for a minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thanks to whoever recommended the Atlantic wheaten, it’s lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Confirmation that Aldi Hula Hoops are the real thing!

https://twitter.com/c_hynesy/status/1324094536478564356

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Patsy167 wrote: »

Made in the same factory anyway. Not sure which but aldi or lidls version are/were smaller than regular hula hoops.

A spokesman for KP Foods told FEMAIL: 'KP Snacks does make product for Aldi at the same site as its own Hula Hoops brand, although the products are made on different lines and to different formulations.

Its like some biscuit factories used to churn out own brands, but could use lower grade ingredients and also bake them faster so its cheaper to produce while also probably wanting to keep their own products tasting better.

Of course I guess some well known brands have factories which might use better ingredients and better processes to make ones for supermarket "premium", "finest" "simply better" ranges.

Largo who make Tayto are meant to make some of the own brands like lidl and/or Aldi.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Made in the same factory anyway. Not sure which but aldi or lidls version are/were smaller than regular hula hoops.

Not sure which either, but I remember buying one of those before (a while back) and they were folded over hoops. Not sure how to describe it but they weren't anything like the original.
    The were like a tube made into a ring and then the tube was pressed closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

rubadub wrote: »

My wife used to be a buyer for a large retailer and the way it works (at least for them) is they work with the brand manufacturer e.g. KP Foods in this case to develop an own brand formula which KP Foods will manufacture only for that retailer. The final formula can be close or very close to the "branded" product depending on the price point the retailer is targeting, the volumes the retailer will commit to etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

The blaufränkisch from the same label is also an easy drinker. Personally I preferred it over the pinot noir but both very good for the price. I picked up a few for Christmas :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

54and56 wrote: »
    My wife used to be a buyer for a large retailer and the way it works (at least for them) is they work with the brand manufacturer e.g. KP Foods in this case to develop an own brand formula which KP Foods will manufacture only for that retailer. The final formula can be close or very close to the "branded" product depending on the price point the retailer is targeting, the volumes the retailer will commit to etc.

My husband was involved with KP Ireland for years and he said much the same. Producers won't make the products for supermarket own brands with the same formula because they have to protect their own brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rinleezz

Patsy167 wrote: »

A lot of the differently branded products in different supermarket chains come from the same suppliers. Fyffes supplies bananas for Aldi and not long ago we had an entire pallet of bananas packed for Lidl arrive in the Aldi warehouse.

To avoid going offtopic too much, I'd like to recommend Nut Bars with dark chocolate and peanut butter coating. 213 kcal and 9g of protein per bar makes it a good middle ground between a protein bar and a chocolate bar snack. They're really delicious.

P.S. If you're buying bread in Aldi, there's a VERY good chance you're eating Irish Pride or Pat The Baker.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,872 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On the, slightly off, topic of own brand products , I can give my personal experience.
    My company supplies Aldi with Boyle's Gin.
    Some people have suggested that this is Blackwater No. 5 gin in a different bottle but they are, in fact, totally different recipes and don't taste particularly alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Quite dated List of companies who make Supermarket OWN BRANDS. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056195473

I'd love to see an updated version of this. I've had a look online but can't seem to find one

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

that and about one hazelnut per jar :p
    I don't think Aldi own brand isn't much different tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭caviardreams

rinleezz wrote: »

To avoid going offtopic too much, I'd like to recommend Nut Bars with dark chocolate and peanut butter coating. 213 kcal and 9g of protein per bar makes it a good middle ground between a protein bar and a chocolate bar snack. They're really delicious.

Agree - they are too nice tbh!

And clearly made by KIND :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Having that Pinot Noir tonight.

Not bad at all. Took the advice to leave it open a while first.

Advertisement