Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

Alun wrote: »
    I had exactly one chestnut mushroom in mine :)

PXL-20201007-181118314.jpg

3yXyHWcL

Any liberty caps in them lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My local ALDI seems to have fresh ‘make your own’ Saturday pizzas and then frozen pre made. Is it the frozen ones people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

sillysocks wrote: »
    My local ALDI seems to have fresh ‘make your own’ Saturday pizzas and then frozen pre made. Is it the frozen ones people recommend?

It’s the frozen ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just had this for my lunch. Not bad, a bit bland as those lean meals are but very good quality and the burger was nice and filling. I'd get it again, good value for about 3 euro.

https://ibb.co/KFVJGpL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

Aldi here have started to stock the Brewdog Punk IPA copy which caused a stir in the UK a couple of months back.

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/drink/brewdog-responds-to-lookalike-aldi-beer-yaldi-ipa/

I picked up some earlier and it's just like the Brewdog Punk IPA which I quite like - I'd struggle to tell them apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

nc6000 wrote: »
    Aldi here have started to stock the Brewdog Punk IPA copy which caused a stir in the UK a couple of months back.

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/drink/brewdog-responds-to-lookalike-aldi-beer-yaldi-ipa/

I picked up some earlier and it's just like the Brewdog Punk IPA which I quite like - I'd struggle to tell them apart.

How much? Punk IPA can be had at decent prices already.

How much? Punk IPA can be had at decent prices already.

I think they were almost €1.80 a can like €1.74 or something with the VAT reduction so basically the same price as the actual Punk IPA.

The Saturday pizzas are for sale in Bradley’s, north Main Street Cork aswell. I got the pepperoni one today. They are actually €5.95 in Bradley’s. I do think it’s a bit expensive but want to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

fin12 wrote: »
    The Saturday pizzas are for sale in Bradley’s, north Main Street Cork aswell. I got the pepperoni one today. They are actually €5.95 in Bradley’s. I do think it’s a bit expensive but want to try it.

Got them yesterday too, got a margarita and pepperoni. The pepperoni was definitely nicer and good flavour for frozen. Although for 4.95 there wasn’t a whole lot of topping (both cheese and pepperoni). Handy they cook so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭54and56

I think they were almost €1.80 a can like €1.74 or something with the VAT reduction so basically the same price as the actual Punk IPA.

I get 5 330ml cans of Punk IPA in O'Briens for €10 or 3 of the 500ml cans for €9. Both work out at about €6 a litre.

I also like the 6% Roadworks IPA Aldi sell for €2.19 IIRC which is very nice and good value at €4.40 a litre but I hate having to do bottle runs every few weeks so a good alternative in a can will be a winner for me.

BTW, bought these on an impulse and can't believe how chocolatey and delicious they are!! Less than €2 I think.

EUtrZ31.jpg

Also, can I ask how people get to post smaller photo's? I've my phone camera set to much lower resolution than max (2592 X 1944 instead of 4000 X 3000) and use https://imgur.com/upload to get embed links but can't see any option to embed a smaller version of the image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That Choceur chocolate range is very good - as someone who's basically indifferent to chocolate I'm getting dangerously fond of the dark choc with hazelnuts lately......

5.6% Anti Establishment (Punk IPA copy) €1.76 for a 330ml can. Not much cheaper than actual Punk IPA

bVU3PCS.jpg

They also have a 6.5% Memphis BLVD (Elvis Juice Copy?) also €1.76 for a 330ml can.

Jc41PHd.jpg

I also spotted this which looks like pretty good value at €24.95 especially if you were having a BBQ or a bit of a shin dig not that that's allowed any more :(

0wcmGTB.jpg

I picked up some more of the Punk IPA copy and also got some of the Elvis Juice ones this time.

Will try them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I picked up some more of the Punk IPA copy and also got some of the Elvis Juice ones this time.

Will try them later.

The memphis blvd one?

Nice, do let us know your thoughts on both!

mystic86 wrote: »
    The memphis blvd one?

Yep, I'm guessing the Memphis Blvd one is a copy of the Brewdog Elvis Juice in the same way the Anti Establishment one is a copy of the Brewdog Punk IPA.

All very cheeky really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yep, I'm guessing the Memphis Blvd one is a copy of the Brewdog Elvis Juice in the same way the Anti Establishment one is a copy of the Brewdog Punk IPA.

All very cheeky really.

Yeah pretty sure it's elvis juice alright. I got a few of these today, going give them a go tonight. They'd sold out of the punk ipa knock offs in my local Aldi unfortunately. The keg is interesting, definitely the wrong time of year to be selling them though. Summer and maybe xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭bassy

Yeah pretty sure it's elvis juice alright. I got a few of these today, going give them a go tonight. They'd sold out of the punk ipa knock offs in my local Aldi unfortunately. The keg is interesting, definitely the wrong time of year to be selling them though. Summer and maybe xmas

would ya be all shook up after a few or all fooked up :D:D

All very cheeky really.

Not as cheeky as when the Porterhouse named their American style beer Weiser Buddy :-)

That was too cheeky and they were made to change it.

mystic86 wrote: »
    Nice, do let us know your thoughts on both!

Just had one of each there watching the rugby, both pretty much the exact same as the Brewdog versions. I think I prefer the Anti Establishment one.

sillysocks wrote: »
    Got them yesterday too, got a margarita and pepperoni. The pepperoni was definitely nicer and good flavour for frozen. Although for 4.95 there wasn’t a whole lot of topping (both cheese and pepperoni). Handy they cook so quick.

Ya I thought it was pretty nice aswell but for nearly 5 or 6 euro depending on where u buy it, I don’t think I’ll be buying it that often.

• Advertisement

Just had one of each there watching the rugby, both pretty much the exact same as the Brewdog versions. I think I prefer the Anti Establishment one.

Same, the Memphis BLVD is a bit too orange/grapefruit/sour for me.

The Anti Establishment is a more balanced beer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Memphis Blvd(aka Elvis Juice) is a decent rendition, can't fault it really. Must try get some anti-establishment cans. Hopefully they are regularly available instead of being of only being periodically in stock. Most of the Aldi craft beer range is poor imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bought a jar of this stuff on a whim yesterday, and made meatballs with it this evening for dinner, and it was absolutely delicious, unsure if it's a special (think I picked it up of a shelf at random, like someone just left it there) posted in what I had for dinner thread.

IMG-20201011-193739.jpg

Will be buying more if there's any left.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

McMurphy wrote: »
    Bought a jar of this stuff on a whim yesterday, and made meatballs with it this evening for dinner, and it was absolutely delicious, unsure if it's a special (think I picked it up of a shelf at random, like someone just left it there) posted in what I had for dinner thread.

IMG-20201011-193739.jpg

Will be buying more if there's any left.
    Please post if you do find more of these, and if they're regular stock - I heard a lovely-sounding recipe for meatballs on the radio the other day (on Pat Kenny, I think) but they were with a fresh-made tomato sauce and I CANNOT STAND fresh tomatoes, so this sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Went looking for the Specially selected Pizzas yesterday but couldn't find them in the local store. I had this in mind as a fallback option and managed to find it.

https://www.plmasalute.com/content/specially-selected-irish-oak-smoked-ham-4-cheese-pizza

Can highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Please post if you do find more of these, and if they're regular stock - I heard a lovely-sounding recipe for meatballs on the radio the other day (on Pat Kenny, I think) but they were with a fresh-made tomato sauce and I CANNOT STAND fresh tomatoes, so this sounds great!

Sorry Heidi, was back in my Aldi last night and couldn't find any of them, the jar I found was upon a shelf near to where curry sauce etc is, and as I said earlier, it looked to me like if was just left there by a customer.

Had the remainder of my batch for lunch today and it was even better than last night's. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Has anyone seen teh carbonara sauce in the last week or 2 ? it was beside the fresh soups but havent seen it there

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Does anyone know when their Wine Advent Calendar will go on sale this year?

We bought one the past two years and will definitely be getting one again this year!

Here are some links for Aldi in the USA that I found:

https://www.aldi.us/en/products/advent-calendars/

https://www.mashed.com/248594/these-are-all-the-2020-aldi-advent-calendars-youve-been-waiting-for/

Aside from the wine version, there is also one with beer and another with cheese, among others.

I wonder will they offer these here too?

Roald Dahl wrote: »
    Does anyone know when their Wine Advent Calendar will go on sale this year?

We bought one the past two years and will definitely be getting one again this year!

Here are some links for Aldi in the USA that I found:

https://www.aldi.us/en/products/advent-calendars/

https://www.mashed.com/248594/these-are-all-the-2020-aldi-advent-calendars-youve-been-waiting-for/

Aside from the wine version, there is also one with beer and another with cheese, among others.

I wonder will they offer these here too?

Can u explain what was in the wine calendar? I’d be interested in the beer one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I didn't notice the sauce in Aldi when I was there earlier but I did see this in Tesco Liffey Valley, it's €2.50 a jar.

Advertisement