Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'm making my way through lots of Aldi sweets due to Halloween leftovers.

The Roar bars are every bit as good as Lion bars!

Dreamys are just like Milkyways too.

Agree! Very tasty!

Had a good few people for dinner today, so we picked up a 2kg bone in black angus rib roast from Aldi - was about €25.

Really tasty, would recommend for special occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

D wrote: »
    Had a good few people for dinner today, so we picked up a 2kg bone in black angus rib roast from Aldi - was about €25.

Was tempted to get this, but opted for their sirloin roast joint.
    I'll report back during the week...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭54and56

Had a big family dinner today and afterwards had the Aldi bread and butter pudding as well as some crème brulee's for dessert and both were really top notch. I had low expectations due to their price and well they're supermarket desserts but they really were very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dónal wrote: »

We buy them regularly, they're always lovely. If there's only the two of us we slice the leftovers and freeze them for a handy roast dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Tried their fresh pizza base the other day. Found it in the fridge. You unwrap it, pop on your tomato puree, then cheese and toppings.
    It does rise a fair bit, so I'm sure if you wanted a thinner base, and a bigger pizza you could stretch it out.

Tempted to try make a pizza garlic bread out of it.
    Definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

• Mae's Kitchen Vegan No Beef Burgers
    • Mae's Kitchen Vegan No Chicken Burgers

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Worztron wrote: »
    • Mae's Kitchen Vegan No Beef Burgers
    • Mae's Kitchen Vegan No Chicken Burgers

The no beef burgers are remarkably good. They've been gone from the store in Letterkenny for a while now, I must check if they're back.
    Also recommend the no sausage rolls from the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Not sure if they've been mentioned before but the Salted caramel popcorn/pretzel bars are divine, the right amount of saltiness, chewiness and crunch. Going to pick up a few more boxes this week as we've finished the 6-pack already!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is the soup decent in aldi?
    Any flavour recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Addle wrote: »

Bramwells, their packet soup, is gorgeous. We love the mushroom,leek & potato and tomato & basil. Their ready made soup is also lovely, if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Addle wrote: »

The fresh ones are very nice. Have tried curried sweet potato, chicken and veg, and plain veg and they’ve all been very nice. That’s the ones in the tubs in the chilled section.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bramwells, their packet soup, is gorgeous. We love the mushroom,leek & potato and tomato & basil. Their ready made soup is also lovely, if memory serves.

All in favour of a good packet soup, but hard to find. Might check out that one, thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Always liked the Tesco fresh Mulligatawny soup.
    Do aldi do anything similar? Have never looked at their soups tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I noticed yesterday that they have pouches of Shake & Bake down by the herbs& spices and packet sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I noticed the tub of Mexican Style Mixed Bean Soup back in stock, after going missing a few months ago. Obviously a different supplier though as it's not nearly as nice as the previous one and a lot of the beans in the two I bought were quite hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Had a vegetarian lasagne from the chilled section last night. Way too many lentils in it for me, if you’re a fan of lentils it might be nice though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I noticed the tub of Mexican Style Mixed Bean Soup back in stock, after going missing a few months ago. Obviously a different supplier though as it's not nearly as nice as the previous one and a lot of the beans in the two I bought were quite hard.

I thought the exact same thing. Much more watery and not nearly as spicy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I thought the exact same thing. Much more watery and not nearly as spicy :(

Yep, definitely lacking in flavour compared to the previous one. I was a big fan of it before, I don't think I'll be buying it as often anymore. I'd prefer to see a small price increase, than a reduction in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

I have noticed the last few weeks I can’t get the brioche rolls .. same bread as the burgers buns.
    Kids love them for hot dogs and they last a few weeks without going stale.
    I did ask in shop but the girl wasn’t sure ...has anyone seen them or are they gone.
    Apologies if it was already mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

harr wrote: »
    I have noticed the last few weeks I can’t get the brioche rolls .. same bread as the burgers buns.
    Not sure if you mean the 6 pack of brioche hot dog rolls or the really small ones with 8 (or maybe 10).

Either way I have not seen either. Somebody said the seeded and hotdog buns are seasonal, so you only get the plain burger buns in winter.

Tesco small rolls are pretty decent for those long skinny hot dogs. Also a good size for a standard 1oz sausage like a denny gold medal size.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251931548

rubadub wrote: »
    Not sure if you mean the 6 pack of brioche hot dog rolls or the really small ones with 8 (or maybe 10).

Either way I have not seen either. Somebody said the seeded and hotdog buns are seasonal, so you only get the plain burger buns in winter.

Tesco small rolls are pretty decent for those long skinny hot dogs. Also a good size for a standard 1oz sausage like a denny gold medal size.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=251931548
    It’s the 6 pack brioche hot dog rolls ... hope they aren’t finished....currently putting hot dogs on burger buns. :D
    Thanks for the tesco recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i can NOT recommend the Aloo, Bombay and Bravas potatoes; microwave sides for 2 or 3 euro a pot. Dire, how someone could release them to market boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

i can NOT recommend the Aloo, Bombay and Bravas potatoes; microwave sides for 2 or 3 euro a pot. Dire, how someone could release them to market boggles the mind.

Did you see the pre cooked potatoes in the tray?

That's mind boggles ;

These are shocking , absolutely tasteless. I wouldn’t be expecting them to be like proper Aloo but they could taste somewhat similar or even make an attempt at some flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

harr wrote: »
    These are shocking , absolutely tasteless. I wouldn’t be expecting them to be like proper Aloo but they could taste somewhat similar or even make an attempt at some flavour
    they somehow manage to be both insipid AND offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

The specially selected turkey "shavings" (new word for wafer thin slices) are very nice.

Had some on the their granary grinder bread with stuffing, a few mixed leaves, tomato and a bit of mayo. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Tried their gluten free profiteroles from the freezer section. Not half bad and quite a few in the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Bought their specially selected triple chocolate Swiss roll today and it went down well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

The split cakes are really good. Have had the choc orange and toffee and caramel and both went down well. Toffee and caramel won.

Advertisement