Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Decided to risk their imitation Tuc crackers today - and I won't be going there again :(

Not quite horrible, but a bit weird, and not far off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

2013Lara wrote: »
    The split cakes are really good. Have had the choc orange and toffee and caramel and both went down well. Toffee and caramel won.

Is that in the fridges or in the cake section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Is that in the fridges or in the cake section?

Cake! Near breads

2013Lara wrote: »
    Cake! Near breads

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

brevity wrote: »
    The spiced marmalade is delish.

Thank you so much for this recommendation!
    Just bought some and I’m having it on Ryvitas for my lunch - it’s gorgeous :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Thanks Sammy for tip about profiteroles. Always a problem spotting gluten free stuff that is new. I miss the GF pizzas of old and also used to be a fab apple tart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

The Tasty roast potatoes are not bad at all, handy to throw in the oven with a couple of chicken breasts for a quick dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

not sure about my aldi but seems its been a good while before they did any continental stuff, i see cheeses, left over Spanish sauces etc, some greek stuff, but in the past there would be dedicated weeks, now its barely what you can find on the shelf leftovers.

the deal for chocolate vanilla rolls was nice for 99c, but looking at website they were supposed to heave sea food mix which was normal price, dont want to sound it as rant but used to look for continental deals to sample different country options but lately seems its more generic stuff, some still good deals on some items but not as i used to remember, is this happening in other stores ?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

My sister in England said she got an unreal Hazelnut Coffee in her local Aldi.
    I looked in mine yesterday (Drogheda) but couldn’t see it.

If anyone spots a hazelnut coffee please let me know! As I’m not sure if it’s available over here. I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Chelle_C wrote: »

If anyone spots a hazelnut coffee please let me know! As I’m not sure if it’s available over here. I need it.

Would it be the Beanies one? My Aldi (Swords) does it sometimes... I'm not a fan though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Chelle_C wrote: »

I saw some in the middle aisle with the specials recently. Didn't buy any as my stomach doesn't agree with instant coffee.
    Galway BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

scamalert wrote: »
    not sure about my aldi but seems its been a good while before they did any continental stuff, i see cheeses, left over Spanish sauces etc, some greek stuff, but in the past there would be dedicated weeks, now its barely what you can find on the shelf leftovers.

the deal for chocolate vanilla rolls was nice for 99c, but looking at website they were supposed to heave sea food mix which was normal price, dont want to sound it as rant but used to look for continental deals to sample different country options but lately seems its more generic stuff, some still good deals on some items but not as i used to remember, is this happening in other stores ?

I don't remember Aldi doing too many dedicated weeks tbh. Is it not Lidl you are thinking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

wonski wrote: »
    I don't remember Aldi doing too many dedicated weeks tbh. Is it not Lidl you are thinking about?
    lol could be always mix the two up when names come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

scamalert wrote: »
    lol could be always mix the two up when names come up.

Definitely Lidl, they do Italian, French, Greek, Polish, Spanish, German and Asian weeks AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I had the spiced red cabbage with apple recently, it was really nice, it can be found in the section with the ready made mash potatoes, prepped cabbage, ready meals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Had the saag masala curry sauce (with the spice in the lid) tonight, absolutely declicious, fussy son left a clean plate so no better review than that. Look forward to trying the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

pm1977x wrote: »
    Had the saag masala curry sauce (with the spice in the lid) tonight, absolutely declicious, fussy son left a clean plate so no better review than that. Look forward to trying the others.

The butter chicken and korma sauces (with the spice lids) are delicious too.

But they get snapped up, so I always grab two when I see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

aha always scouting for the Korma! but Jafrezi is good too.

Seconding the butter chicken. It's lovely but very hard to get. Only ever one or two in a case I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Garlinge wrote: »
    aha always scouting for the Korma! but Jafrezi is good too.

The Pataks Korma pots are lovely. Think they were a special as they were in the baskets in the aisle. 99c for 2.
    The look like a curry version of the stock pots.
    Mixed mine with the water, popped in the diced chicken and veg and mixed up, left it an hour, quick fry and into a pot of coconut milk for 10/15mins.
    Really nice and very simple. The kids savaged it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Had a "run into Aldi absolutely starving with no idea what I want except I need FOOOOOOOOD" dinner just now.

Steak and real ale pie from the freezer - excellent. Lovely light pastry, and loads of really tasty filling.

Jumbo maris piper oven chips - only ok. Cooked them for more than the time recommended, but they still tasted a bit undercooked.

Should've had some veg, but couldn't be arsed because I was so hungry.

The hunger got the better of me at the till, and I succumbed for the first time to those "handmade slices" things - got the salted caramel ones, and they're absolutely ruinously delicious!

The only big disappointment was the lovely Animus red wine - I had the tail end of a bottle of Bordeaux from Supervalu (about €8 with vouchers), so finished that - and the Animus just tasted like sweet blackcurrant juice after it :( Maybe not fair comparing them directly - but they're not even in the same ball-park taste wise.

But I'm not hungry any more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

pm1977x wrote: »

what brand is this? Tried googling but can't identify which product you're referring to..? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

mystic86 wrote: »
    what brand is this? Tried googling but can't identify which product you're referring to..? Thanks!

It’s their own brand, ‘specially selected’ same as one below but saag masala instead of tikka

https://www.aldi.co.uk/curry-sauce---tikka-masala/p/061362238200803

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

Buffalo mozzarella from Cork is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭GBX

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Steak and real ale pie from the freezer - excellent. Lovely light pastry, and loads of really tasty filling.

Just had these and they are delicious! Nicest pie I've had in ages. A decent "ale" pie for a change. Could smell it as soon as I cut in. Will be getting more tomorrow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Had a "run into Aldi absolutely starving with no idea what I want except I need FOOOOOOOOD" dinner just now.

Jumbo maris piper oven chips - only ok. Cooked them for more than the time recommended, but they still tasted a bit undercooked.

Should've had some veg, but couldn't be arsed because I was so hungry.

The hunger got the better of me at the till, and I succumbed for the first time to those "handmade slices" things - got the salted caramel ones, and they're absolutely ruinously delicious!

The only big disappointment was the lovely Animus red wine - I had the tail end of a bottle of Bordeaux from Supervalu (about €8 with vouchers), so finished that - and the Animus just tasted like sweet blackcurrant juice after it :( Maybe not fair comparing them directly - but they're not even in the same ball-park taste wise.

But I'm not hungry any more!!

Really didn't like the white animus either!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

GBX wrote: »
    Just had these and they are delicious! Nicest pie I've had in ages. A decent "ale" pie for a change. Could smell it as soon as I cut in. Will be getting more tomorrow! :D

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got the rosemary crackers- yummy, must have scoffed 7 or 8 of them last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

Tried the specially selected smooth chicken liver parfait. Not a fan and I love chicken liver pate. Funny sour taste, too much wine in it maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

GBX wrote: »

Price are these? Are they “specially selected”? Tks

Advertisement