Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I was disappointed with the pies to be honest. I didn't like the pastry at all. It just tasted very 'floury' if that makes any sense. The pie was definitely cooked, the inside was piping hot and everything, but the pastry definitely had some sort of 'underdone' feeling about it.

I'm interested in these gourmet sausage rolls that I've seen mentioned though! Can anyone tell me if I'd find them in the fridges or are they frozen ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I was disappointed with the pies to be honest. I didn't like the pastry at all. It just tasted very 'floury' if that makes any sense. The pie was definitely cooked, the inside was piping hot and everything, but the pastry definitely had some sort of 'underdone' feeling about it.

I'm interested in these gourmet sausage rolls that I've seen mentioned though! Can anyone tell me if I'd find them in the fridges or are they frozen ones?

I think the sausage rolls are in the fridge - can't wait to try them now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

leahyl wrote: »

Yep they are in the fridge with the ready meals etc.
    I’ve heard some great reports about the spiral cut Christmas ham that’s coming next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,825 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Those sausages rolls are great! Well, the black pudding one is anyway. Slightly too much meat to pastry ratio, but verrrry tasty!! And verrrry filling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

leahyl wrote: »
    I had one like that last week chicken and leek thought it could have done with another 5 minutes. I may not have waited till the oven was full preheated either. I’ve had them a few times before and never felt they were underdone. The two small twin pack pies may cook better than the larger single one.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Those sausages rolls are great! Well, the black pudding one is anyway. Slightly too much meat to pastry ratio, but verrrry tasty!! And verrrry filling!!

Yea they’re very tasty I’ve the other problem wish they were a little bigger one doesn’t feel like one is quite enough and two feels a bit glutinous! No trouble finishing them though!

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    I had one like that last week chicken and leek thought it could have done with another 5 minutes. I may not have waited till the oven was full preheated either. I’ve had them a few times before and never felt they were underdone. The two small twin pack pies may cook better than the larger single one.

It was the chicken & leek ones I had too, the twinpack. My oven was definitely pre-heated alright, so I'm not sure what it was about them.
    Maybe I'll give them a try again so and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Give them another chance and this time, once the top is cooked, turn them over so they are resting on their top, remove the tin, and pop them back into the oven for an extra 5/10 minutes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

For anyone who likes cheese the potted Stilton is absolutely superb.

54and56 wrote: »
    For anyone who likes cheese the potted Stilton is absolutely superb.

I was looking at it yesterday and wondering what it was like. I'll add it to the (ever growing) Aldi list :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I had one of the steak/pastry slices today, was unimpressed with the meat/pastry ratio. The 4-packs of minced steak & onion pies are nicer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It was the chicken & leek ones I had too, the twinpack. My oven was definitely pre-heated alright, so I'm not sure what it was about them.
    Maybe I'll give them a try again so and see.

ALDI’s cooking times are rarely correct ime

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

sillysocks wrote: »
    Yep they are in the fridge with the ready meals etc.
    I’ve heard some great reports about the spiral cut Christmas ham that’s coming next week.

Got the ham before, usually 20. Good value and was well tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

vicwatson wrote: »
    ALDI’s cooking times are rarely correct ime

For most food I buy timing is out.

It is kind of tricky as, based on my experience, all ovens differ a bit.

I guess these are suppliers guidance based on industry standard ovens while the ones we have at home can vary.

For mine I always add around 10% extra time for all oven ready meals including pizzas.

The older one would burn them if I would do that.

They are not as accurate as we would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I never heard of spiral cut ham until this thread.

I never heard of spiral cut ham until this thread.

https://www.aldi.ie/irish-spiral-cut-cooked-ham/p/087788262581700

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Aldi have started to stock the Walls Honest Chip ship chips. They are in the chilled section where the veg is. Cost €3.75 for a bag. They were nice I have to say. Put them into the oven for about 15-20 minutes and they are as close to chip shop chips I’ve ever had. Nice treat for once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Aldi have started to stock the Walls Honest Chip ship chips. They are in the chilled section where the veg is. Cost €3.75 for a bag. They were nice I have to say. Put them into the oven for about 15-20 minutes and they are as close to chip shop chips I’ve ever had. Nice treat for once a week.

Delighted to hear they are back in, I love these!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Probably cheaper to go to a chipper!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Cork based company, looking forward to trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No price given on that spiral cut ham.

Is the stilton blue or plain?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Wait... what? There is such a thing as plain Stilton? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Shenshen wrote: »
    Wait... what? There is such a thing as plain Stilton? :confused:
    Absolutely, called "white Stilton".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Alun wrote: »
    Absolutely, called "white Stilton".

Well, that was my lesson for the day. I don't think I've ever heard of that before. What does it taste like?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, that was my lesson for the day. I don't think I've ever heard of that before. What does it taste like?

Tangy!

You can also get it with cranberries or apricots. :)

The potted Stilton is blue.

IMG201912042231151575498919.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,001 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can also get it with cranberries or apricots. :)

Wensleydale, you can, yes.

I thought they were quite picky about what you can put in Stilton™ and still call it Stilton™ (and yes it is a ™ and with a capital S)

Along with decent bottle conditioned ales (which are hard enough to get here anyway) it's one of the few things I'll miss post-Brexit!

Can you make that pic any bigger 54and56, I've got two 55" screens I'm not getting the full use out of :p

Life ain't always empty.

Can you make that pic any bigger 54and56, I've got two 55" screens I'm not getting the full use out of :p

Apologies, I'm not into photography so i just point and shoot using the default settings on my phone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I thought they were quite picky about what you can put in Stilton™ and still call it Stilton™ (and yes it is a ™ and with a capital S)
    You can also get Stilton with apricots, I've seen it in Lidl alongside the Wensleydale with cranberries. I couldn't find the exact one on their site but this one with Apricot, Orange and Amaretto sounds interesting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I've eaten stilton with cranberries and apricots.

Maybe it's not strictly stilton, but that's what the label said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Picked up a couple of packets of cooked Chestnuts this morning. Handy for the stuffing and roasting with the sprouts.

3-DCCE625-C13-D-4-CA3-9733-BE7830502132.jpg

Advertisement