Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Cordell wrote: »
    I think expecting something similar in quality and performance with, let's say, AC:O, if it's not too much.
    But the main issues were bugs, not poor performance: non working anisotropic filtering and stuttering, which is a clear indicator of a rushed past proper QA release. And 30fps animations that are a clear indicator of a lazy PC port.

This argument can make sense, but not for a game that's 3 years old, already made a profit, and being sold again for e50.

As for unrealistic expectations, I already played the PS4 version, so if I am to pay for it again I want the full PC experience and this is the realistic expectation that should be true on both sides.

Odd just checking a few sites and benchmarks indicate Horizon Zero Dawn runs better at max settings that AC:O does?

I'm not excusing the bugs, they shouldn't of been in a released product and they should of delayed the game a month. If they released the game now its in current state, the reception would of been fine.

It would be fair say to the game wasn't in good condition at launch buts its a fairly decent state now one or two more patches and everything should be resolved.

The anisotropic filtering issue is a very minor issue. 10 seconds configuration in the graphics control panel and its fixed. 30FPS animations is not a sign of a lazy port, animation systems can be quite complex, time consuming and expensive to do, its not as simply just uncapping the frame rate and letting it run. That may completely break the animation system, to achieve 60FPS they may have had to redo all animations over.

The argument does make sense. Its irrelevant if the game was released on PS4 and has made profit on its original development cost. Porting the game to PC costs money and there is an expected financial return for doing so. Developers/publishers might say the time and expense of having to re-code the game to achieve better optimizations on PC is simply not worth the return on investment. Those developers could be put on another project instead that could reap a greater return on investment.

What do you mean full PC experience?
    Its got all the in game content, the game offers higher frame rates, higher resolutions, better textures, better LOD's, better shadows, better reflections, better cloud system, HDR support, keyboard and mouse support, gamepad support, ultra wide screen support and a FOV options, a decent amount of graphics settings to adjust, an in game benchmark.

Sure it could be better but again I think people have to be realistic in there expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Cordell

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    HZD was a solid 60, didn't fluctuate running around. AC:O averaged 55 or so with some dips to 50 with more volumetric lighting in view.

Your own metric is met.

Perfect, good to hear that.
    Azza wrote: »
    Odd just checking a few sites and benchmarks indicate Horizon Zero Dawn runs better at max settings that AC:O does?

I'm not excusing the bugs, they shouldn't of been in a released product and they should of delayed the game a month. If they released the game now its in current state, the reception would of been fine.
    Yes, it's good that they got it in a decent state, but it's too bad they didn't do it from the start. And there's no point in pointing fingers anymore, if it runs well now it's all good, I'm happy :)
    to achieve 60FPS they may have had to redo all animations over.
    Not too much to ask given the selling price.
    Sure it could be better but again I think people have to be realistic in there expectations.
    The expectations are set, at least for me, by the price. They are asking close to full AAA release price, I expect AAA quality. The PC port investment is nowhere close to the cost of the game so far, but we are not charged only for the PC port, at least me I will be paying for the same content twice, and I will only do that if the PC port match my expectations. And apparently it does now, I'm happy.

Of course, I would be even happier with RT and DLSS 2.0 thrown there into the mix, but let's not get greedy now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Frozen Wilds certainly ups the difficulty right from the start, that super suit has saved me a few times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

From memory you drop right in and are attacked by a stupidly strong bot, these guys remain stupidly strong but there was really only one other battle that caused me to say FFS a lot. It's not soulslike difficult but yea it does ramp up relatively speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the DLC assumes you'll have all the best weapons, outfits and mods from the main game, so it jumps the difficulty up a notch. I'm pretty sure there's even something (like a pulsing tower thing) in many enemy areas which nullifies the usage of the strongest armour from the main game, forcing you to go with something else.

• Advertisement

Finished both yesterday, thats one of the better games I have played in the last few years.

Excellent story to it, kinda best to get to a certain point in the main then complete the DLC then complete the main.

Few minor annoyances, not being able to lead a dinobot army probably the biggest. I mean I can overide a thunderjaw but it just stands there, just let me bring him to the gates of a bandit camp.
    Performance on PC not great but well known in advance.
    Fireclaws jesus, I ran out of ammo on them a few times and had to run off to collect more then return to the fight. Then you get to fight 2 at the same time or 3 in the case of the frostclaw. Fun times.
    When you finish the main quest it plops you back to a previous save, I want to walk around
    The new safe world and chat to rebooted GAIA, if we did reboot her? No closure on that one that I could see. 2 should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Finished both yesterday, thats one of the better games I have played in the last few years.

Excellent story to it, kinda best to get to a certain point in the main then complete the DLC then complete the main.

Few minor annoyances, not being able to lead a dinobot army probably the biggest. I mean I can overide a thunderjaw but it just stands there, just let me bring him to the gates of a bandit camp.
    Performance on PC not great but well known in advance.
    Fireclaws jesus, I ran out of ammo on them a few times and had to run off to collect more then return to the fight. Then you get to fight 2 at the same time or 3 in the case of the frostclaw. Fun times.
    When you finish the main quest it plops you back to a previous save, I want to walk around
    The new safe world and chat to rebooted GAIA, if we did reboot her? No closure on that one that I could see. 2 should be good

Not worth the time or effort bringing GAIA back online while HADES & HEPHAESTUS are rogue subsystems.

Not worth the time or effort bringing GAIA back online while HADES & HEPHAESTUS are rogue subsystems.
    Small bit after the credits about where HADES is now which I think leads on to a sequel

Great game defintiley reccomend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Small bit after the credits about where HADES is now which I think leads on to a sequel
    I think that'll be a smaller part of it. The bigger being who/what sent the signal that removed Gaia's control and elevated the sub-systems to sentient levels. I'm thinking Faro again, either cryogenics or more likely a clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tspoon

If anyone's looking for 100% the game - this map might come in handy: https://mapgenie.io/horizon-zero-dawn/maps/world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1306343615325634560

So the sequel is also coming to PS4 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think they would have been mad not to, but it will be an inferior version, not just graphically, but it won't be able to take advantage of the PS5's next gen stuff, ie: the haptics and audio (and load times).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That's shíte. I was looking forward to the haptic stuff with the bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think they would have been mad not to, but it will be an inferior version, not just graphically, but it won't be able to take advantage of the PS5's next gen stuff, ie: the haptics and audio (and load times).

I can understand why, the PS4 has essentially NOTHING left since 2020 started they have launched the likes of FF VII, Last of Us: part 2, DREAMS, Persona 5 Royal, NIOH 2 & Ghost of Tsushima so now its salted earth first party/exclusive wise but there is no way Miles Morales or Horizon 2 won't get reined in to still run on PS4 competently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Dammit I have to wait 3 years for the sequel!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭brady12

Anyone play horizon zero same on ps5 on a LG CX? Colours seem a bit off and don't know how fix it . Red is Very saturated nearly blinding . When it's dark it's seems too dark. HDR settings maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,283 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

brady12 wrote: »
    Anyone play horizon zero same on ps5 on a LG CX? Colours seem a bit off and don't know how fix it . Red is Very saturated nearly blinding . When it's dark it's seems too dark. HDR settings maybe ?

Are you just noticing it on HZD? If so yeah i reckon its the HDR settings in game.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Are you just noticing it on HZD? If so yeah i reckon its the HDR settings in game.

I changed settings on tv to what HDTV test recommended on you tube and I think it fixed it .

Usually when I get into open world games I love them
    . Might take me 10 or 20 hours but eventually I do so many main missions until I understand game and story totally and don't feel under pressure to keep going . I stop and start doing side stuff and just wandering around the world and taking it all in . When I'm at that moment in an open world game it's like therapy or something I do be in a zen like state 😂😂 it took me nearly 25-30 hours in to hit that Groove in horizon zero dawn . I think Iv 3 main missions left and I'm reluctant to do them now cos loving game world so much . For at least the first 20 hours I thought this game was only ok to good but I love it now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I was the exact same, it took a while to get going but by about the time I got city just before the desert I was absolutely hooked in. I would recommend trying to get all the side stuff, there's some really good world building and story in there.

for some reason picking up the collectibles wasn't the chore it normally is. it wasn't the funnest thing ever but not unusually infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

gimli2112 wrote: »
    for some reason picking up the collectibles wasn't the chore it normally is. it wasn't the funnest thing ever but not unusually infuriating

They didn't go overboard with them. I think there's half a dozen sets of collectibles with maybe a dozen in each and they give some good lore.

It's not like 100 Assassin's Creed feathers and flags.

I was the exact same, it took a while to get going but by about the time I got city just before the desert I was absolutely hooked in. I would recommend trying to get all the side stuff, there's some really good world building and story in there.

Ya I'm actually doing a lot the side stuff so I'm over powered to a degree for the last 3 missions . Some very good world building alright . I might leave frozen wilds until a month or 2 before forbidden west comes out .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Especially the vantage points with the Apoca****storm Tour.

Tbh only game I have played I was interested in the backstory whilst playing, its a great game altho the lack of ability to "control" the T rex thing let it down.

Thats a minor point tbh you can control every dino animal except the big one.

What kind of psychopath wants to control a giant mechanical tyrannosaurus rex?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Tbh only game I have played I was interested in the backstory whilst playing, its a great game altho the lack of ability to "control" the T rex thing let it down.

Thats a minor point tbh you can control every dino animal except the big one.

You can override the thunderjaw (the T-rex machine). You're actually required to for one of the sun Lodge trials I think, where you have to override it so it kills two ravagers.

I think the only machines you can't override are corrupters and deathbringers, but they only appear in story missions anyway. By the end you can override all machines found in the wild so long as they're not corrupted. You just need to do all the cauldrons to upgrade your override tool.

Penn wrote: »
    You can override the thunderjaw (the T-rex machine). You're actually required to for one of the sun Lodge trials I think, where you have to override it so it kills two ravagers.

I think the only machines you can't override are corrupters and deathbringers, but they only appear in story missions anyway. By the end you can override all machines found in the wild so long as they're not corrupted. You just need to do all the cauldrons to upgrade your override tool.

Yeah I wanted to ride it like a horse!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement