Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I could have sworn I saw them write somewhere there wouldn't be anymore HZD content, If does come it will be next gen.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    After the sales it had they ain't going to be going back making bloody Killzone next.

Stranger things have happened ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I could have sworn I saw them write somewhere there wouldn't be anymore HZD content, If does come it will be next gen.

Stranger things have happened ;)

I think they said there wouldn't be any more DLC. Not that they wouldn't do another game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

“I hope you like fighting those Glynthawks...”

No, I bloody don’t!!! Luckily I bought the Shadow Sharpshot before I started this mission or I’d be rightly screwed, but I’m still struggling. Any tips? I just realised that I actually haven’t upgraded the bow yet and it has 3 available slots

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

I used to tie them down with the ropecaster and then hit them with the slingshot with either freeze or fire bombs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    I used to tie them down with the ropecaster and then hit them with the slingshot with either freeze or fire bombs.

Unfortunately I didn’t have a ropecaster, I upgraded my bow through the slots and that did the trick though. Will get the Ropecaster soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I finished the game without using the ropecaster as I forgot what it did (I usually drink when I game :))

One of the best weapons in the game. I'm not sure I could have taken down Thunderjaws/Stormbirds without it.

On an absolutely not related note:

https://twitter.com/GameDesignDan/status/1107811282646900737

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

The main thing I loved about the game was the variety of weapons and play styles that could be utilised on the different types of machines.

Excellent game. I might have to go back and do a NG+ if I ever get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,635 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Picked this up again as it was cheap to give it another go. Last time i played it, i was level 16 and at City of the Sun main quest and just got bored. Trying it again and instantly bored again. Any tips on getting the most enjoyment out of this?

That city in the sun quest was a pain in the hole. My weapons (good bow with normal and fire arrows with a trip caster) do very little damage and i get killed very quickly. I have my best mods assigned to them. Not sure if i should be spending time upgrading other things?

I cleared a bandit camp, full stealth and i think Ubi/Far Cry do these way better. Was just very boring, no way am i doing another one of those anytime soon.

Should i stick to main quests? Search out cauldrons? On the verge of selling it again and putting it down to 'just not for me'.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,203 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Picked this up again as it was cheap to give it another go. Last time i played it, i was level 16 and at City of the Sun main quest and just got bored. Trying it again and instantly bored again. Any tips on getting the most enjoyment out of this?

That city in the sun quest was a pain in the hole. My weapons (good bow with normal and fire arrows with a trip caster) do very little damage and i get killed very quickly. I have my best mods assigned to them. Not sure if i should be spending time upgrading other things?

I cleared a bandit camp, full stealth and i think Ubi/Far Cry do these way better. Was just very boring, no way am i doing another one of those anytime soon.

Should i stick to main quests? Search out cauldrons? On the verge of selling it again and putting it down to 'just not for me'.

Sprinting by enemies rather than fighting them wherever possible (you'd be surprised how much time this saves) and ignoring most of the open world filler and just doing the story missions made it painless enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Give up Zero you're just annoying yourself. I couldn't do ng+ even though I loved it on the first play through. Picked it up again this weekend and am enjoying it again but if it's not for you you'll just have to accept it.
    I really liked the story, which helped. There is a lot of busywork involved levelling up but it didn't bother me.

Its just weird how it ticks my boxes (post apocalypse, robots, archery) but none of it is grabbing me. Bigger sickner is i wanted Kingdom Come Royal Edition and that dropped to 27 quid today, typical.

Cex are offering 17 cash for HZD complete so will just lose out on 3 euro but i have a feeling the PlayStation Hits edition might (should) be cheaper but it isn't on their website.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,054 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just drop it. It's a lot better than the usual open world schlock but it's also not anything special. If you are not enjoying it now then it's only going to get worse and the bad writing and generic story won't save it for you. the combat is the standout feature of the game and if that isn't grabbing you then no point forcing yourself to try and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Unlike others, I'm going to recommend to try out the other weapons. Each robanimal is weaker to some types of weapons/ammo. The glinthawks and the other flying one used to melt my buzz until I figured out a good strategy against them. Maybe check out a few vids and see how others do it, and it may renew your interest. I find you can make the combat as easy or as hard as you like, depending on weapons/ammo used.

I personally thought it was an amazing game, and I plat'd it easy enough. Had it on a standard PS4 when I first got it, and was waiting until the announcement of 2 before I pick it up and play it again on the Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I do remember finding the middle of the game a bit of a slog, but the further you progress the more challenging the combat becomes with larger and more difficult combos of bots. I was enjoying the story and setting a lot though, so perhaps that helped me push through the slog a bit easier.

The bandit camps can be too easy to take out with just whistling and stealth kills. Takes a while but it's always the easiest way.

In terms of weapons, it could be your strategy that isn't working rather than the weapons themselves. Been ages since I played, but using tearblast arrows or bombs to knock off armour helps make your fire/frost/etc arrows more effective. If you've reached Meridian, I think there are questlines that unlock the ability to buy better weapons too, or ones with more mod slots, like the hunting lodge.

I don't think there's a right or wrong choice in terms of giving up or pushing through. If you're really not feeling it in terms of combat and story, I guess you could just move on to something else.

It's a game I definitely want to replay myself, even if just NG+ rather than starting all over again. I thought it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just drop it. It's a lot better than the usual open world schlock but it's also not anything special. If you are not enjoying it now then it's only going to get worse and the bad writing and generic story won't save it for you. the combat is the standout feature of the game and if that isn't grabbing you then no point forcing yourself to try and enjoy it.

Although the story is no Witcher 3 its got one of the better storys of the last few years and a likable central character. It's true though that its the combat that makes the game

Thanks lads, I think I'm gonna give it another go. I am getting a feeling that I'm not playing 'right' so will look up a combat/weapon guide before giving up completely. One annoying thing, I put a 40% increased damaged mod onto my Bow, went to remove it to put on my new bow from Deluxe dlc and turns out I have to unlock a high level skill to remove mods. Bollox mechanic in this day and age.

I have a good few quests unlocked from Miridian so I'll have a look at their rewards, see if there's anything juicy. I think I'll fast travel more (even if it means buying a few camp things) and then heading to Makers End for the next main quest as that does sound interesting.

Thanks lads, I think I'm gonna give it another go. I am getting a feeling that I'm not playing 'right' so will look up a combat/weapon guide before giving up completely. One annoying thing, I put a 40% increased damaged mod onto my Bow, went to remove it to put on my new bow from Deluxe dlc and turns out I have to unlock a high level skill to remove mods. Bollox mechanic in this day and age.

I have a good few quests unlocked from Miridian so I'll have a look at their rewards, see if there's anything juicy. I think I'll fast travel more (even if it means buying a few camp things) and then heading to Makers End for the next main quest as that does sound interesting.

That is actually the mission where the main story does actually start kicking up a notch again and getting more interesting.

As for weapons, a quick google tells me you should be able to buy Shadow versions of weapons from merchants in Meridian. There are better weapons you can get from quests later, but the Shadow versions of the weapons are generally the best versions of the standard weapons in the game that you can buy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,054 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Greyfox wrote: »
    Although the story is no Witcher 3 its got one of the better storys of the last few years and a likable central character. It's true though that its the combat that makes the game

Well I'll have to agree to disagree. The Jose Whedon-lite(TM) dialogue annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I have to unlock a high level skill to remove mods. Bollox mechanic in this day and age.

Lol, when I was looking at the skill tree the other day I said I better unlock tinker as soon as I can. I've been pouring points into skills I don't need early on just to get to it.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Lol, when I was looking at the skill tree the other day I said I better unlock tinker as soon as I can. I've been pouring points into skills I don't need early on just to get to it.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Polar101

Greyfox wrote: »

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't call the story generic - it is complicated enough. It's just much of the character writing that isn't great, and some of the voice acting is pretty dodgy.

---

I haven't completed the game (around level 30ish i think) but shadow weapons are the way to go I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I'll have to agree to disagree. The Jose Whedon-lite(TM) dialogue annoyed me.

ah see that's where you went wrong!
    you were playing the Portuguese version

Ok, i don't have any of the machine hearts or resources for Shadow weapons but i know what to look out for now. I also noticed an unlimited fast travel pack that will come in handy, just need to hunt some animals. Feel like I'm on the right track, will see what Makers End has in store.

The VA's are shyte except for Aloy.

Ok, i don't have any of the machine hearts or resources for Shadow weapons but i know what to look out for now. I also noticed an unlimited fast travel pack that will come in handy, just need to hunt some animals. Feel like I'm on the right track, will see what Makers End has in store.

Well, this has me hooked now, i thought I'd never get past the Death Bringer, bastard, but then the climb to the top for that juicy story was worth it. I thought the strangers voice was The Continental concierge alright, glad they kept the actors model as well.

I unlocked the skill to find more hearts so on my way to a shadow bow. Bought a shadow tripcaster and it has huge numbers compared to the one I had equipped. Gonna got some cauldrons next to unlock more override options.

Any point hunting down the tall necks to climb? I can't remember what you get for climbing and activating one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Disagree on the VA's. Sylens is good but that's no surprise, Lance Reddick has been in loads of great stuff. Ted Faro is well acted too. Aloy is great, as you said. Nil stood out too.
    Any point hunting down the tall necks to climb? I can't remember what you get for climbing and activating one.

They unfog the map so you should do them.

Yeah they act as Vantage points like most open world games have and unfog the map. Journeying to them will also have the added advantage of likely having you pass by areas where there are groups of certain types of bots, meaning if you need specific hearts or anything from a particular bot, even if you don't fight them there you'll know where to hunt for them later as they'll then show up on the map.

Also, try to gather whatever resources you need to upgrade storage in your backpack. As you encounter more and newer types of machines, you'll have more hearts, eyes etc as well as huge amounts of resources for different types of weapons. It can be hard to know what to sacrifice or throw away.

Get the shadow bow as a first priority at least, then start to look into what you need to gather for storage upgrades. Don't mind storage for mods as much, you can discard or sell them easy enough. Storage for your general backpack is a must though.

Penn wrote: »
    Also, try to gather whatever resources you need to upgrade storage in your backpack. As you encounter more and newer types of machines, you'll have more hearts, eyes etc as well as huge amounts of resources for different types of weapons. It can be hard to know what to sacrifice or throw away.

Get the shadow bow as a first priority at least, then start to look into what you need to gather for storage upgrades. Don't mind storage for mods as much, you can discard or sell them easy enough. Storage for your general backpack is a must though.

This was a real annoyance yesterday. I was pressing loot all and recognising some items were being left behind. I only realised I was missing a lot of items when I was picking up lenses and hearts and only seeing later they were not in my inventory. I spent some time going through it to understand the system, dropped multiple items taking up 2 spaces, dismantling items only used for trading for shards into money (only making half the shards but better than lugging them back to a merchant). I am one skill away from a 20% increase on storage and also know what I need to hunt to upgrade my pack so at least have that figured out now.

Like I said, I had a feeling I wasn't playing right now I'm taking the time to figure it out, I'm enjoying it more. That story background definitely helped. Reeks of Nier Automata and Terminator 2 :) but I'm already looking at the robots in a different way.

• Advertisement

That story background definitely helped. Reeks of Nier Automata and Terminator 2 :) but I'm already looking at the robots in a different way.

Yeah when I googled what your next mission was yesterday and realised that was where the story starts to kick up a notch, I figured it might drag you in a bit more. It's not the best story ever and there are some holes in it, but it's a far better and deeper story than I thought it'd be pre-launch and is pretty enjoyable overall. Many of the datapoints and audiologs you pick up really add to the experience.

Advertisement