Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wonder if they stick around Colarado/Utah in the sequel or go somewhere new. I don't want somewhere totally urban with just ruined buildings like a New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't think it will be set in the same area. You may have access to some of the same areas, but I reckon it will start moving over towards Nevada direction. Found this article which is really good, maps out the actual route you can take in Colorado/Utah to visit the real life locations you see in the game. 32 hour 1329 mile drive! Would totally do it. Also gives a map of the in game with real world locations pinned on it:

hzd_5F00_vantagepts_5F00_1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,631 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Laaaads i didn't even realise we knew where we were, like an actual place. Feels like i should play through again to appreciate the first 10 hours this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Just bought the complete edition from the store for €11,24 (after the 25% off code they sent in email). Will have a look at it tonight, looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

She was
    discovered surrounded by flowers after visiting Sobek Ranch during the final mission, The Face of Extinction main quest
    , had to Google to confirm.

In a game of some beautiful moments. That is particularly heart wrenching.

• Advertisement

Any good lore videos? I can only seem to find ones explaining the story which i already know. I'm looking for more in depth with a timeline, what happened at the different bunkers etc. Basically a place explaining events from logs you find without me have to hunt down missing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Laaaads i didn't even realise we knew where we were, like an actual place. Feels like i should play through again to appreciate the first 10 hours this time.

One of the types of collectibles, the viewpoints or something I think, your focus shows you what the (real life) buildings were like before they were destroyed, as well as an audio log of one of the alphas talking about it. I really enjoyed those ones.

Penn wrote: »
    One of the types of collectibles, the viewpoints or something I think, your focus shows you what the (real life) buildings were like before they were destroyed, as well as an audio log of one of the alphas talking about it. I really enjoyed those ones.

Ah balls, even though i had the vantage point maps, i never bothered hunting them down, thought they'd just be like a tower thing or something.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ah balls, even though i had the vantage point maps, i never bothered hunting them down, thought they'd just be like a tower thing or something.

It's one of the few games I've played were collectibles etc actually add to your experience as opposed to 50xp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

For some reason i bought the frozen wilds extension and never played it until now. I "platinumed" the base game when it came out and really enjoyed it - i obviously got distracted after buying FW and only came back to it last weekend when i'd nothing else to play.

In the meantime i bought a new LG C9 OLED TV and i have to say frozen wilds looks stunning on it. The HDR is top notch. Cant recommend it enough and anyone who hasn't played yet get on it. Roll on the sequel on PS5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

jones wrote: »
    In the meantime i bought a new LG C9 OLED TV and i have to say frozen wilds looks stunning on it. The HDR is top notch. Cant recommend it enough and anyone who hasn't played yet get on it. Roll on the sequel on PS5

I had the 4K TV for the release but no HDR (I personally think it makes everything look fake). Plat'd it also, but never played the DLC and have since upgraded to the Pro. I'll get it again close to the release of HDZ2 and get to experience it all again in (hopefully) amazing 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jones

I had the 4K TV for the release but no HDR (I personally think it makes everything look fake). Plat'd it also, but never played the DLC and have since upgraded to the Pro. I'll get it again close to the release of HDZ2 and get to experience it all again in (hopefully) amazing 4K.

It looks fantastic give it a bash when you're inbetween games

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I just picked of the DLC on the PSN Black Friday deals, will play through it when I get time from the backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Been playing through this again and I forgot how weird it is that
    you meet all the kids and it sets them up like Bast the bully and Vala the new best friend and it really makes it seem like they're gonna be recurring characters throughout the story......and then literally 10 minutes later they've all been brutally murdered

Also I forgot how
    underwhelming the Proving is, Aloy spends 12 years training for what amounts to shooting one machine and then running a footrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Also I forgot how
    underwhelming the Proving is, Aloy spends 12 years training for what amounts to shooting one machine and then running a footrace.

Kinda but it's more that
    she spent all that time to be better than everyone else, completion wasn't the issue, one chance in her lifetime to win it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This is one game I would have been tempted to steal the kids PS4 for.

Dont have to now on PC this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it's a game that deserves a wider audience, will look glorious on PC I expect

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

gimli2112 wrote: »
    it's a game that deserves a wider audience, will look glorious on PC I expect

Plus the mods might be good craic. They could make Thunderjaws looks like actual T-Rexs with guns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would like to think this means more PS exclusives coming to PC.

The realistic side of my brain is telling me this is just Sony promoting the PS brand to PC users for when they properly launch PS Now and make a big push for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Would like to think this means more PS exclusives coming to PC.

The realistic side of my brain is telling me this is just Sony promoting the PS brand to PC users for when they properly launch PS Now and make a big push for it.
    I would say that's pretty much all it is. Perfect time to release one of their most acclaimed titles on the PC, near the end of the PS4 lifecycle and close to the launch of the PS5, probably right before they announce a sequel exclusively for the PS5.

It's over three years old so very few people are likely to buy a PS4 now to play it and if the PS5 is backwards compatible it makes no sense for them to remaster it on that either. A PC version now = more sales, more marketing and reaching out to a wider audience of people to showcase the quality of their first party titles. Win win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sequel on the way:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/11/21285673/horizon-forbidden-west-2-ps5-trailer-teaser-zero-dawn-sequel

Wont knock Breath of the Wild 2 off the top of my most anticipated game list but its damn close, what an amazing game, cant wait to play the pc release when it comes aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Looks amazing from the trailers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Looks amazing... :eek:

Aloy's voice sounds different.

Thought I was going crazy.

It's the same voice actor just every time I watch the trailer it gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It was a breathy hero monologue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Really liked the first game but there are definitely some aspects that could be improved upon:

1. I still think combat vs the machines is the best combat I've ever experienced in an open world game, but combat vs human NPCs was incredibly dull and uninteresting.

2. The dialogue system felt entirely pointless and any conversation that used it got old fast as the characters just stood staring at each other completely expressionless as they spoke. Hopefully they either beef up the system or remove it entirely and just have fully animated cutscenes instead.

3. MORE CLIMBING, please god allow us to climb more than the occasional highlighted rock in a random cliffside. I guess Breath of the Wild coming out at the same time really made the traversal in this game feel poor by comparison but it'd be so much better if the player had more freedom of movement. Same goes for having more unique rideable machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Anyone else trying the PC version? Just running through it again now and it's actually a pretty decent port imho. There's quite a lot of talk and the usual trolling on the steam forum about performance but it's actually decent imho. No not as surprisingly good and fluid as the Death Stranding port but pretty normal for any other title. I'm running it at 4k/Ultra with TAA off, Clouds at High and reflections at medium and it's hovering between 50-60 FPS. And that's kinda normal for my rig, The Division 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and other similar generation high detail open world games are usually around the same. The folks on the steam forum complaining about that are nuts imho, most likely lying about references for anything with a similar level of detail (that's not using DLSS 2.0). They did a great job on the M+K controls (2K please learn an important lesson), so much less frustrating to control and aim, but that also makes it a lot easier so I think I'll have to bump up the difficulty a bit. The graphics have a nice uplift - it was always a pretty game even on the original PS4 let alone Pro but it's sharper, better lighting and draw distance that nicely improves it. The audio is still outstanding, it has one of the best soundtracks in existence - game or movie or whatever so it's really nice to be able to play it on a higher fidelity headset with my favourite surround plugin.
    If you were looking to play it again this port is a great option.

Advertisement