Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I just played it again on the Pro and watched some streamers playing it on PC. The actual gameplay looked fantastic and obviously better than the console could produce, the cutscene I saw looked cack, although I hardly ever watch them.
    Love this game and hope people try it out on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Got a free copy with my recent ryzen purchase so no excuses even though I've played through it multiple times on ps.

Better play this with kb+mouse or a controller?

My expectation were low enough given all the complaints about a poor port. It seems playable and I'll definitely give it a shot but the graphics aren't great. I've a new rig and get 60fps with everything as high as possible. It looks really fuzzy. Seems to be let down by how they did the anti-aliasing. I thought I might have had it off until I fiddled with the graphics settings. I had it on TAA. It looks terrible with AA off altogether, as if my eye sight is going. Really, really fuzzy. It definitely is a poor port but at least it's playable. No crashes so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Watched some gameplay of this as release approached and the console aiming is just LOL,i bought it for PC and im happy to report mouse and KB is a joy to play with.
    Infact looking back at the console gameplay it looks so slow and clunky compared to the snappy precision of mouse and KB.

Great game so far.

• Advertisement

What did you find wrong with the console aiming, I didn't have any issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

. It looks really fuzzy.

Digital Foundry had an issue like this. The game is downscaling a from 1440P/4K to 1080P and then trying to upscale again and it causes everything to look crap.

They fixed it by switching to window mode and then back to full screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

. It looks really fuzzy.

Digital Foundry had an issue like this. The game is downscaling a from 1440P/4K to 1080P and then trying to upscale again and it causes everything to look crap.

They fixed it by switching to window mode and then back to full screen.

Cheers. Gave that a shot and it didn't help unfortunately. My monitor is 1080p so that's my maximum resolution anyway. I was looking at some twitch streams and my game looks very different. Everything looks jagged as if there is no anti-aliasing. Maybe my game is being downscaled to 720. Fairly annoying as I heard how beautiful this game looks accordingly to some ps4 owning friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

dudeeile wrote: »
    What did you find wrong with the console aiming, I didn't have any issues with it.

It is far clunkier, especially with the aim-bot turned off. Playing it now with M+K is night and day better for ranged. Controllers are great for many things, aiming unless you can live with aim-bot/assist doing a lot of the work is not one of them. Whereas usable Melee is a little clunkier with M+K, that feels better with a controller usually (probably because a lot of games that rely on it tend to be designed around it).

On the clarity problem above make sure you force Anisotropic Filtering in your video card's control panel as it doesn't work from the in-game menu. It will definitely affect texture sharpness. Similarly if you really want to keep AA try turning if off in-game and force it again from the CP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There are no issues with it. Don't mind those PC soft shítes. Bite!

J. Marston wrote: »
    There are no issues with it. Don't mind those PC soft shítes. Bite!

I just can't play games anymore without my pro controller

zXwPCvgm.jpg

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    It is far clunkier, especially with the aim-bot turned off. Playing it now with M+K is night and day better for ranged. Controllers are great for many things, aiming unless you can live with aim-bot/assist doing a lot of the work is not one of them. Whereas usable Melee is a little clunkier with M+K, that feels better with a controller usually (probably because a lot of games that rely on it tend to be designed around it).

On the clarity problem above make sure you force Anisotropic Filtering in your video card's control panel as it doesn't work from the in-game menu. It will definitely affect texture sharpness. Similarly if you really want to keep AA try turning if off in-game and force it again from the CP.

Tried all sorts of things in the nvidia control panel. I get a lot of artifacts if I try Anisotropic Filtering amongst other things. I get particular weird bug that Aloy's face looks like Data from star trek when he gets some human skin grafted to him. The game is great but the visuals and framerate are subpar. I really want to push on through it but I feel I'm not getting the most out of it. For a game that is known for it's visuals, I wonder would I be better off waiting a few months for some patches.

The combat, world and story is excellent.

The story took a hammering from the critics and gaming connoisseurs. I thought it was brilliant and loved the Alloy character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't think they meant anything particularly wrong with it for this title, just that overall gamepad aiming is gunk.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The story took a hammering from the critics and gaming connoisseurs. I thought it was brilliant and loved the Alloy character.

I love the story, it's well paced and the actions make sense from the premise. You can feel the cold dread rising right from the tutorial cave audio logs. Heroism in the face of a repeat cycle of madness and ego without being trite overly nice boy/girl scouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I don't think they meant anything particularly wrong with it for this title, just that overall gamepad aiming is gunk.

I was crap at the joypad when I started using them now i'm quite adept. I find it better than mouse and keyboard now. Its all about muscle memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was crap at the joypad when I started using them now i'm quite adept. I find it better than mouse and keyboard now. Its all about muscle memory.

That, and most games as standard have a medium speed of aiming. Once you up the aiming speed it's fast enough. Take CoD for example. I think the standard aiming speed is like 6 or 8, and I played like that for years because I didn't know any different. Upped it to 15 (the max at the time) and it was waaaaay to quick. But over time I've come to accept my perfectly fast enough 12. I find kb/m aiming very finnicky, but again it's from not using it. And I've never had the proper set up for kb/m gaming, I'm a couch gamer and even with those couch add ons for kb/m, it's just not the same as having a proper desk setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I love the story, it's well paced and the actions make sense from the premise. You can feel the cold dread rising right from the tutorial cave audio logs. Heroism in the face of a repeat cycle of madness and ego without being trite overly nice boy/girl scouts.

Really enjoyed it as well. At some point I was thinking that
    Horizon: Zero Dawn was to be a shuttle or space station, was really excited thinking that we'd get to go to space and have the inevitable meetup of the space farers vs the local earthbound tribes. Was pleasantly disappointed.

Spoilered just in case the PC Master Race haven't completed it yet...

Back in now to play NG+ and then i'll go back to my first game and go trophy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I didn't expect much from the story, and ultimately it was nothing incredible or fantastic. But I thought it was a lot better than I expected, filled with some wonderful moments, great performances and encouraged exploration. It really helped fill out the world without being overly cumbersome either.

It was a good story in a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's a 3 years old game ffs, why did they rush it out in this state?
    It's good to see exclusives being made available to other platforms, but not like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Anyone playing it on a mid range PC? if so how do you find it handles? did you have to tinker much with settings? Ryzen 2600x with GTX 1660 here, I see people complaining online who are using much higher end spec and that turns me off. But they're looking to play 4K 60fps+ - 1080p is fine by me and if I can get a smooth 60 at that I'd be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

My only complaint with the story is that Cedric Daniels never said "Cut the buuuullsh*t"

I'm not a fan of open world games so played the main quest far too linearly. Just got to the deathbringer and I'm severely under leveled. Haven't done a single side quest yet and don't really understand how the resources work. Whoops.

Yeah side quests make the job a lot easier, one of the earlier ones gives you a spear. You really need to find out what the enemy weakness is and hit them with that. My main was the flame arrows that you could fire 3 at a time, get them burning and rinse and repeat.
    Anything else just got sticky bombs stucky to it. Shock and Ice work well against some of them and the contaminated one that sends them crazy was something I definitely underused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I was literally thinking of posting this yesterday, love VDL :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

So your saying you cant get better at a skill? come on guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I was literally thinking of posting this yesterday, love VDL :).

They're amazing hey.
    So your saying you cant get better at a skill? come on guys.

You can get better with anything but there will also be a skill cap based on the tool you're using. Can I get good at a driving game using a keyboard with enough practise? Sure... Would I ever be better on keyboard vs a controller if all other variables were removed? Never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I'm not a fan of open world games so played the main quest far too linearly. Just got to the deathbringer and I'm severely under leveled. Haven't done a single side quest yet and don't really understand how the resources work. Whoops.

Aside from the human camps, the side quests are actually fun, you don't have to do all of them ofc but a couple here and there should be more than enough.

Advertisement