Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I do remember fighting the Ruby Weapon in the Desert for hours, down to Tifa for most of the battle. Of all the times I played the game since I've never wanted to do that again.

Also thinking today of how blown away I was by the intro when summoning monsters. That didn't last long.

The summons were all a bit patience testing,but Knightss of the Round took it to the nth level (even if it was a bit of an instant win with many bosses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

There was also ways you could summon it several times back to back. It may have been "mimic" The aforementioned Ruby Weapon saw a lot of Knights of the Round.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nix wrote: »
    heh i learned the importance of using multiple saves with this game, i was only using one on my first play through and i got to the temple of the ancients and done a save before demons gate boss, i was pretty under leveled for him to say the least, there was no random battles from the last save point up until the boss so i couldnt grind. He just kept one shoting my party members, impossible to get passed. :(

I had to restart the game entirely, i remember being fairly mad about that, but it wasn't so bad as i was more familiar with the combat and items and had learned the importance of exploration, but still, thats a hell of a long back track :mad:

He wasn't impossible. Just need to put your characters in the back row, makes him a breeze. But then since it was everyone's first RPG many people didn't know this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I remember renting this from the Curragh Video Club in Newbridge back after it was released, but i didn't have a memory card for it. So if i died, i had to restart the entire game. I remember getting to Sector 6 a few times, and kept getting killed by a big house enemy. Really frustrating, but once i get a memory card it was a lot easier :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,580 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus, fair play Kiith :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I had far more patience back then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He wasn't impossible. Just need to put your characters in the back row, makes him a breeze. But then since it was everyone's first RPG many people didn't know this.

No i tried everything, i spent hours trying everything on the boss, no matter where i put them they just died in one hit, Cloud was the only one who could survive a hit, and even then he was in the red.

I was all over the place with my characters/party, i frequently ran from fights if i just wanted to go from A to B real quick. I didn't realise the importance of leveling up until that boss, needless to say when i got back to him the second time he was no trouble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Kiith wrote: »
    I remember renting this from the Curragh Video Club in Newbridge back after it was released, but i didn't have a memory card for it. So if i died, i had to restart the entire game. I remember getting to Sector 6 a few times, and kept getting killed by a big house enemy. Really frustrating, but once i get a memory card it was a lot easier :P

If I remember correctly the back of the instructions for ffvii had an ad for a memory card stating: "try beating ffvii without one!".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I remember the first time seeing FFVII in the flesh, it was a Sony show on the Temple Bar Music Centre (or the Button factory as it's now known) and it was a Japanese demo, I couldn't get over how it looked back then, I think the same Demo came with the official playstation magazine a few months later in English and I was sold from then on in...

I played 8 & 9 after and stopped after that none of them matched 7 IMO...

I am not sure I will be onboard for the remake, but as some have mentioned here, if there is a demo around E3 then I will definitely download it and take a look... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Are there any mods out there for PC version? All this talk makes me want to play it again but I'm damned if I'll engage with the elements that aged most poorly (eg random encounters). Any high definition patches would also be cool

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Are there any mods out there for PC version? All this talk makes me want to play it again but I'm damned if I'll engage with the elements that aged most poorly (eg random encounters). Any high definition patches would also be cool

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15520.0
    Everything you need for mods is there aside from New Threat, you can get that here.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14938.0
    Be wary of load order and conflicts, not everything is cross-compatible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,969 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's also a translation mod I'd highly recommend. Means the game is in English now and not whatever the feck the original was written in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,291 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's also a translation mod I'd highly recommend. Means the game is in English now and not whatever the feck the original was written in.

I think the broken english was charming :pac:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15520.0
    Everything you need for mods is there aside from New Threat, you can get that here.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14938.0
    Be wary of load order and conflicts, not everything is cross-compatible

Bwah. Ok, maybe not lol. Not that I expect a game that's not open to modding 'easy' to mod for :D

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think the broken english was charming :pac:

It's worth playing it. The story is a lot clearer and makes more sense. Which is good and bad. There's no confusion but it also loses a lot of mystery and some of the ambiguous things are explained and you realise the story is really kind of basic and stupidly anime.

Some interesting stuff in there as well like how cloud taking on the persona of zack was a defense mechanism of jenova who can disguise itself to fit in with the local population. That's not explained in the English version.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

nix wrote: »
    heh i learned the importance of using multiple saves with this game, i was only using one on my first play through and i got to the temple of the ancients and done a save before demons gate boss, i was pretty under leveled for him to say the least, there was no random battles from the last save point up until the boss so i couldnt grind. He just kept one shoting my party members, impossible to get passed. :(

I had to restart the game entirely, i remember being fairly mad about that, but it wasn't so bad as i was more familiar with the combat and items and had learned the importance of exploration, but still, thats a hell of a long back track :mad:

I can relate to this. I used to escape loads of battles the first time I played the game and as a result I was totally unprepared for this boss. I needed a second playthrough to get by him.

A friend showed me this link, take of it what you will, its just info from an anonymous source who has played the demo, so just rumor.

https://wccftech.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-playable-demo/amp/

I put the bullet points below in spoilers in case you cant access the link, read at your own peril. I would avoid reading completely if you have never played FF7, if you have played FF7, it has spoliers on minor changes you would get from playing a demo.
    -Game is in fact 2 parts. Part 1 ends exactly as Aerith is let down into the water after her death and a fade to black.

-Materia is shown in ALMOST all weapons. They do not appear in accessories nor do accessories appear on your character model. Different weapons will however appear on your model for example Rune Blade will be on Cloud’s back if equipped and exploring.

-Different weapons have different triangle heavy hits (does not cost an ATB charge) Buster Sword has Punisher Rune Blade for for example has Cleave. You use these heavy hits after a string of regular hits. Regular hits are chip damage and the main damage will be from heavy combo finishers and the of course the massive LIMIT BREAKs.

-Using Magic will consume ATB along with MP. You get more bars as the game progresses.

-Summons will work for the most part as cut scenes like the original, they do not fight with you on the field. There is 1 new Summon Amarok and appears to be a wolf and causes darkness in addition to damage.

-Over-world map is almost seamless. There are some “zones.” There will be roads and methods of transportation. It is open world. Vehicles like the Tiny Bronco work almost exactly the same only being able to go in lighter water. There will be items available occasionally on the field. Chocobos will of course be obtainable after the farm.

-They have really made an effort to make each town feel lived in, and feel like there is a reason why each place is like the way it is. Each town is very unique from the last. Cosmo Canyon and its occasional dust storms are a stark contrast to the streets of Midgar. Upper Junon feels very much more like a military installation than Midgar as well.

-Sephiroth is very limited in what is shown of him until the Kalm flashback. Before this you only hear his voice or see glimpses of him during Clouds breakdowns.

-The HP shown during the state of play is not indicative of what their HP should/would be normally during those times. Simply for Dev showcasing.

-There will be demos on the game floor with PSN demo following shortly after for people at home directly after E3.(Playstation Plus required)

-Monster redesigns for a lot of the enemies but most will remain recognizable. Some do not make an appearance. For example there was no ghost enemies in the train yard.

-Shin-ra HQ wont have quite as many floors to explore but MORE to do on the floors you do go to so it still feels like your fighting through a lot to get to the top.

-The design for Tifa is also true to the original outfit, her face appears to be mostly similar to her Advent Children design but slightly more western. Materia also shows up on her gloves.

-Cait Sith seems to be pronounced “Ket” Sith but has undergone no major design overhaul. His fighting style is more close up, and does have his BARS for a LIMIT BREAK.

-Golden Saucer will have some games that are not playable(yet) because they are essentially replaying a part of a later story mission. Some will be playable right when you arrive. They want it to feel more grand and provide a break from the main story beats while still eventually having to incorporate the story into it later.

-Red XIII has clones Cobalt XIV and Indigo XV you must fight before he joins your party in Shin-ra HQ

-Cid does not appear to be smoking but you see evidence that he does. He is clearly upset with Shera but toned down the aggressiveness as they felt it was unnecessary.

-Yuffie and Vincent are no longer optional. You can miss them up until a certain point where they then become mandatory to get. You automatically get Yuffie if you have not gotten her before Rocket Town for example.

-Cloud will have a dress and wig in one particular scene. But its fade to black getting in/out of it.

-Honey Bee in requires GIL to get into instead of a membership card.

-Squatting mini-game returns.

-As these are FULL games each will be in fact priced at 59.99 USD

-Signals have gone out to retailers to prepare for pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Honestly it looks rather promising.

Not exactly enthralled about it being a 2 parter, who the hell knows when we'll actually get part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

$60 EACH??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I fairness I'm happy it's only 2 parts. I was expecting 3.

They are filling out 1 of the most ambitious games ever made, that originally took over 5 years to make.

Turning 2d backgrounds into fully realised 3d areas and the world map becomes a 3d open world. That's no small task.

Imagine the amount of work required just to remake the golden saucer and all it's mini games in 3d.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,580 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

They info actually has me hyped again, some great sounding stuff there like less floors to Shinra HQ. The 2 parter sounds much better than episodic but full price for both is a bit mad. Saying that, I'm sure part 1 could be equivalent of another full game as it is. Interesting anyway, looking forward to the demo after E3 if true.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    They info actually has me hyped again, some great sounding stuff there like less floors to Shinra HQ. The 2 parter sounds much better than episodic but full price for both is a bit mad. Saying that, I'm sure part 1 could be equivalent of another full game as it is. Interesting anyway, looking forward to the demo after E3 if true.

Just wait for the second game and they will likely have a complete edition which will be a better price, ill be holding out until both are on sale if not anyway. No rush, i know the story already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭quokula

If they do a good job then $120 is a not an unreasonable price. When you adjust for inflation, and consider how much more detailed the game is, it's probably better value than the original.

I'm more concerned about any compromises to the game design by splitting it up - i.e. your ability to go back and forward between areas at any time like you could in the original. That and just the worry of finishing the first part and waiting years for part 2 to come...

Initially a playstation 4 exclusive as well. Sucks for me. I want this but I'm a PC gamer.

Will probably have to wait a year to get it on PC.

I hate this exclusive nonsense.

I thought this was mentioned as coming to PC as well.

I think there's a possibility that Sony are helping to fund it so might be an exclusive after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,291 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So 120 quid.

Jesus Fcking Christ Square Enix....

PC gamer here too, so disappointing to hear that it won't (initially) be on PC, not to mention potentially costing 120 for the whole thing. Feels like like one to wait for in a sale.

The other tidbits are more heartening though, that the game's original fun-loving tone will survive the translation.

I think the pricing is fair tbh. There's going to be 50-100 hours of gameplay in each part.

It's not going to work out much different from a normal game + 2-3 dlc model with similar game time.

Only difference is you are stuck on a mid game cliffhanger with at least a year to wait for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Happy its only in 2 parts but 120 Euro for both is mental. It's not like its a new I.P or a brand new story with new ideas. And saying they are "re-creating" everything from 2D to 3D is why the price is so high doesn't fly with me. They are using whatever engine FF15 used and just creating new assets in that engine.

Also a delayed PC release really sucks. So i have ill have to play it at 28-30 FPS on the PoS4. Seems I'm better off waiting for the PC complete edition release and buying it for 40 Euro on CDkeys

• Advertisement

Happy its only in 2 parts but 120 Euro for both is mental. It's not like its a new I.P or a brand new story with new ideas. And saying they are "re-creating" everything from 2D to 3D is why the price is so high doesn't fly with me. They are using whatever engine FF15 used and just creating new assets in that engine.

Also a delayed PC release really sucks. So i have ill have to play it at 28-30 FPS on the PoS4. Seems I'm better off waiting for the PC complete edition release and buying it for 40 Euro on CDkeys

So should every Unreal Engine game be 30 euro because they are just using the same engine and sticking assets in it?

If each part of the game is substantial enough it will be worth full price. And they aren't just recreating ff7 they're basically making an entirely new game.

Advertisement