Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I hate big damage numbers in games. Look at Diablo 3 with numbers in the billions popping up every millisecond. And World of Warcraft, although i think they toned it down in one of the expansions its now back to huge numbers. I much prefer a slower increase with damage in the thousands being end game numbers
    Yea, just makes it meaningless.

Hitting 9999 back in the was a "holy ****" moment until you figured out how to turbo the **** out of your round table.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Wonder what the difference between the "Magic" and "Materia" commands are? Maybe it'll be kinda like Crisis Core and allow you to change Materia on the fly that affect your gameplay

Base have the release date set for 30/09/17. If only :rolleyes:
    https://www.base.com/buy/product/final-fantasy-vii-remake-ps4/dgc-ff7ps4.htm

The cautious optimism is seeping in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Game is still episodic, so the game release for me atleast is still miles off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Battle system looks like 15, not very interested in that to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watching it reminds that I prefer my JRPG characters silent, particularly the sulky, edgelord protagonists. Certainly looks showy but we'll see..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Ah man I can't watch
    Aeris dying
    all over again with these fancy new graphics

Spoiler is probably overkill but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Ah man I can't watch
    Aeris dying
    all over again with these fancy new graphics

Spoiler is probably overkill but you never know

I think we’re going to see a more emotional scene for the avalanche trio this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can't wait to take Barrett on a romantic date in glorious current gen.

Not sure about that gameplay. Combined with the episodic content, this could be a very watered down albeit flashy version with a lot of the original missing. I'd love a full on remake of the original but can't see it happening.

Also I wasn't a fan of FFXV combat. Will wait til June to see what they have planned. Best case scenario would be episode 1 in June but most likely another trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The important question is: will the Don Corneo section remain intact, in all its cross-dressing glory? :D If so, certain parts of Tumblr may go into overdrive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

pixelburp wrote: »
    The important question is: will the Don Corneo section remain intact, in all its cross-dressing glory? :D If so, certain parts of Tumblr may go into overdrive ;)

The thing we are all looking for is a look at Tifa! Will she have the massive mammaries she had in the previous game!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hopefully we might have a release date this year.

The thing we are all looking for is a look at Tifa! Will she have the massive mammaries she had in the previous game!

Certainly both have spun-off their own very specific niche of fandom, that's for sure :pac: :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's episodic it will have to be on PS5. I don't trust Nomura to release a game on time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know this is a pretty sweeping statement, but I really dislike the approach to character design the series has employed from 10 onwards. The mix of highly-detailed, realistic humans and anime tropes... there's something about it that never sits right for me. There's a lot of problems I have with games like 10, 15 and especially 13 - their tones have never sat right with me. But even though they may be technically extravagant productions with moments of dazzling CG spectacle and vibrant setting... there's a warmth missing.

Now, I know the blocky character design of 7 and the cutesy ones of 9 (I say cutesy in a really nice way because I ****ing love the look of that game) are of their time. With 7 in particular no doubt a fairly radical redesign was going to be necessary. But hopefully Nomura can dial some of his worst impulses in when it comes to some of the more fantastical characters.

Overall I really hope the final remake here retains a lot of the warmth and vibrancy of the original game - while that trailer isn't quite as grim-dark as I may have feared, it still has that bland, over-serious Advent Children look, and I hope the original game's often outrageous and silly aesthetic flourishes are fully embraced by the designers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think square will be subtle with this game. I can see them pandering to their fan Base by making cloud an total edge lord and aerith waifu material. Cloud was actually quite easy going in the original with only a few emo moments during his breakdown. Aerith and tifa were playing with tropes. Tifa was a bad ass but was actually quite naive, innocent and inexperienced while Aerith was more world weary, confident and kind of had a filthy mouth on her as well. Don't really see that coming through in the trailer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I know this is a pretty sweeping statement, but I really dislike the approach to character design the series has employed from 10 onwards. The mix of highly-detailed, realistic humans and anime tropes... there's something about it that never sits right for me. There's a lot of problems I have with games like 10, 15 and especially 13 - their tones have never sat right with me. But even though they may be technically extravagant productions with moments of dazzling CG spectacle and vibrant setting... there's a warmth missing.

Now, I know the blocky character design of 7 and the cutesy ones of 9 (I say cutesy in a really nice way because I ****ing love the look of that game) are of their time. With 7 in particular no doubt a fairly radical redesign was going to be necessary. But hopefully Nomura can dial some of his worst impulses in when it comes to some of the more fantastical characters.

Overall I really hope the final remake here retains a lot of the warmth and vibrancy of the original game - while that trailer isn't quite as grim-dark as I may have feared, it still has that bland, over-serious Advent Children look, and I hope the original game's often outrageous and silly aesthetic flourishes are fully embraced by the designers.

I agree tbh. I've hated every single FF since 10 to the point I've stopped buying them. I don't like the plot (which is non-existent in the beginning of the most recent editions).

I loved 7 and 9 (and earlier editions) in particular for the cutesy characters who were endearing.

And I loved the turn-based system of those early games. This real-time sh1te puts me right off.

At this point I'm fully expecting them to make a balls of FF7 Remake tbh, just the way the series has progressed.

Square are still capable of making good Final Fantasy games. not played FF15 yet but FF13-2 and FF13-3 were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Necro wrote: »
    I agree tbh. I've hated every single FF since 10 to the point I've stopped buying them. I don't like the plot (which is non-existent in the beginning of the most recent editions).

I loved 7 and 9 (and earlier editions) in particular for the cutesy characters who were endearing.

And I loved the turn-based system of those early games. This real-time sh1te puts me right off.

At this point I'm fully expecting them to make a balls of FF7 Remake tbh, just the way the series has progressed.

You should give World of Final Fantasy a go. Cutesy characters and turn based. A good few post game bosses and dungeons too for a bit of extra challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Square are still capable of making good Final Fantasy games. not played FF15 yet but FF13-2 and FF13-3 were very good.

Hated them tbh. Tried 15 as well but just could not warm to it at all after about 6 hours gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

The combat system is going to be the deciding factor for me, and from the look of it, its not looking promising.

Either way, i cant see myself playing it for like 10 years or however long it takes them to release the "Complete edition" :(:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm pretty sure Tifa is there at the 20 second mark.

nix wrote: »
    The combat system is going to be the deciding factor for me, and from the look of it, its not looking promising.

Either way, i cant see myself playing it for like 10 years or however long it takes them to release the "Complete edition" :(:pac:

I'd be perfectly happy if they kept the original system and just updated the graphics. Either that or get rid of the stupid interactive turn-based crap they have in the recent ones.

If I'm playing a game, it's for fun not to plan my attacks with military like precision.

I never managed to finish FF7 so looking forward to this

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hope they do this scene justice

giphy.gif

One of favorite moments in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I'm sure if anything, they will do the visuals the most justice of all, although im expecting them to cut out a load of locations from the game. :(

Id bet they make Wutai a DLC with a hefty price tag :mad:

The visuals look brilliant - the thought of purchasing a PS4 pro has crossed my mind already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So torn on this. FF7 is one of the defining games of my childhood. I must have played it twenty times at least since then. The updated visuals look amazing, but if it's real time combat it changes things, or worse QTE.

I wonder if this will be a remake that changes fundamental parts of the game.
    Aerith's death
    for example. The whole impact of that was
    due to the shock of an actual playable character being killed off for keeps.

• Advertisement

fixxxer wrote: »
    So torn on this. FF7 is one of the defining games of my childhood. I must have played it twenty times at least since then. The updated visuals look amazing, but if it's real time combat it changes things, or worse QTE.

I wonder if this will be a remake that changes fundamental parts of the game.
    Aerith's death
    for example. The whole impact of that was
    due to the shock of an actual playable character being killed off for keeps.

Not a chance they’d change that, it’s part of the story. As I mentioned earlier, there could be some additional tugging of the heart strings with the avalanche trio

Advertisement