Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

FFVIII being remastered. I remember the card game and trying to get one of the better ones in space, where they had ridiculous random rules. A lot of hard resetting was undertaken. Loved 8 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I don’t know what to think anymore.

A part of me knows this is going to be annoying as the battle system looks like XV which was just chaotic and had no real strategy.

But then I hear the music and my nostalgia kicks in...

I'll be definitely getting this. Battle system is a wild card as I've never played that style. I'm open to it. Aesthetic is fine. I don't know what else they could have gone for. They are certainly worse options. At least they didn't go for cutesy anime with giant eyes or its not as bad as FF6's updated rounded sprites or Secret of Mana's uninspired 3D update. I just hope the game isn't missing anything. I never finished the original so I want to take in the story in its entirety. Most of the game set in midgar doesn't sound appealing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Isn't the battle system largely based off the Kingdom Hearts games (most likely KH3 given its release this year)?

I didn't mind that if I'm honest, button mashing silliness aside.

I'd much prefer ATB but it seems we're never getting that back :(

Meh, I'm hyped for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

A lot of negative nancies in here.

Looking forward to this now - all else fails we still have the original

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

lordlame wrote: »
    A lot of negative nancies in here.

Looking forward to this now - all else fails we still have the original

I think the battle system looks fine. I'm not a fan of the FFXV battle system but this one looks like it's trying to give the best of both worlds with the atb bar filling as you fight.

I've tried going back to turn based and there is a reason RPGs have moved on from it. Isn't it better to have something to do while the bar fills instead of just looking at the bar?

Also, we've only seen a battle with 2 characters. I imagine once you have 3 to juggle the battles will get fairly hectic.

The re releases of VII, IX and XII added modifiers to speed up battles. Handy when all of us who played VII as kids don't have the free time we used to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like they're also doing a remaster of FF8 as well.

I don't think being cautious about this makes one a negative nancy; I can take or leave the battle system but if the aesthetics and approach are wrong, I'm just less likely to enjoy the game. It's all personal preference but yes, I'd sooner take those block monsters of the original game than the weird hyperreal dolls this remake's going for...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've tried going back to turn based and there is a reason RPGs have moved on from it. Isn't it better to have something to do while the bar fills instead of just looking at the bar?

I’m still very fond of turn-based systems and I’m disappointed the FF series has abandoned them. It’s absolutely correct that the old-school ones had their issues and would need tweaking - after all, there’s no point in a remake if you don’t mix things up and bring your own vision to things. But games like the Persona series are great models for modern turn-based combat: much more dynamic and visually exciting than what we used to get.

It’s a personal dislike more than anything, but the compromise ‘real-time style with turn-based elements’ approach just never feels right to me. It’s trying to match disparate styles, and more often than not ends up as a sort of cacophony of things happening. Here’s hoping this one manages it better than what’s come before, but as someone who would love to see a tidied up turn-based combat system in a game of this scale it’s just a bit of a shame they’ve abandoned it IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I was thinking that when watching the trailer. I'd like turn based combat, but Persona 5'ed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm leaning towards giving it a miss. I replayed 7 recently and loved it all over again. Nothing in the trailer makes me feel like this is a must have. I think I'll stick with my memories of the original.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It’s a personal dislike more than anything, but the compromise ‘real-time style with turn-based elements’ approach just never feels right to me. It’s trying to match disparate styles, and more often than not ends up as a sort of cacophony of things happening. Here’s hoping this one manages it better than what’s come before, but as someone who would love to see a tidied up turn-based combat system in a game of this scale it’s just a bit of a shame they’ve abandoned it IMO :)

I agree, I think the attempted mix of turn-based and real time is horrific, it's what has stopped me buying later FF games tbh.

But from reading about it they're going to more real time like the KH series which I can accept, as long as the camera isn't as bloody annoying as in KH :pac:

pixelburp wrote: »
    Looks like they're also doing a remaster of FF8 as well.

I don't think being cautious about this makes one a negative nancy; I can take or leave the battle system but if the aesthetics and approach are wrong, I'm just less likely to enjoy the game. It's all personal preference but yes, I'd sooner take those block monsters of the original game than the weird hyperreal dolls this remake's going for...

How do you think that would look though. They were block monsters out of necessity from hardware constraints. Ultra HD block monster would look bizarre with a realistic background. I think this game is arguably so beloved that any graphical update would be derided. Isn't the updated graphics similar to how the characters looked while in battle.

Are you envisaging something like pokemon quest?

Mother of God that's absolutely horrific PJ :eek:

Necro wrote: »
    Mother of God that's absolutely horrific PJ :eek:

As mobile games go, its actually not half bad

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was blown away by the FF VII presentation, the combat looked amazing to me, the music, the graphics, the nostalgia, I ****ing loved it and cannot wait to give them whatever money they want for how many disks they can give me. CAN NOT WAIT!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Meh, I'm hyped for it!
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I was blown away by the FF VII presentation, the combat looked amazing to me, the music, the graphics, the nostalgia, I ****ing loved it and cannot wait to give them whatever money they want for how many disks they can give me. CAN NOT WAIT!!

Same here fella's, just watching the conference now, roll on March!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

You can get a commemorative watch for 1500 dollars you know. Two if you want the Cloud/Sephiroth matching set :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

They didn't mention anything about it being split into different part?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jimjangles

It looks great but the problem for me is that it is split up into multiple games.
    That ruins it for me.
    It should be one big game like the original.
    So I won't be buying at least until all episodes are out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How do you think that would look though. They were block monsters out of necessity from hardware constraints. Ultra HD block monster would look bizarre with a realistic background. I think this game is arguably so beloved that any graphical update would be derided. Isn't the updated graphics similar to how the characters looked while in battle.

Are you envisaging something like pokemon quest?

I don't mean literal block characters, but I don't find those generic anime style characters very endearing or appealing either; there are dozens, hundreds of artistic styles out there but obviously the command from on high was to make it all look like every other latterday FF game. As you say the game is beloved, but a bolder, more unique aesthetic could have been more interesting - potentially less intensive too I'd argue, instead of creating all these HD pretty boys.

fixxxer wrote: »
    You can get a commemorative watch for 1500 dollars you know. Two if you want the Cloud/Sephiroth matching set :D

I said Disks :pac: I'd love that statue the same as I'd love the cyberpunk statue but not a hope at their prices, will settle for the plain ol' disks crammed with goodness.

As for the parts, I honestly don't mind. Spring 2020 is jammers and if it means I can finish part 1 in time for Cyberpunk and then look forward to part 2 after that, might work out for the best. Everything is being put away for Cyberpunk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think this game is arguably so beloved that any graphical update would be derided.

I’d disagree with that. It’s a given - even a necessity - that the graphics be updated. But what I remember so potently about the original game is how vibrant, weird and varied the whole experience is. Bold cartoon characters (albeit as blocks that wouldn’t fly today) mixed with atmospheric, memorable locations. Even within Midgar the mix of places and moods was pretty great: from the serene to the slapstick. Right down to the UI, it was all full of energy and colour.

I’ve also seen Advent Children, which this game’s approach more closely resembles (so far!). That is a tedious, self-serious, hyper-real mess that boasts a very different and IMO far inferior vibe to the original game. It doubles down on the emo without bringing the fun.

I’m pretty sure nobody wanted nor expected more blocky characters. But equally, and speaking for myself, I’d love to see a more stylised, animated look that more directly channels the spirit of 1997. As said before, I’ve just never been able to properly adjust to the hyper-real approach taken by the post X FF games.

To be fair, we haven’t been given the opportunity to see beyond the opening few sequences of the game. Maybe they’ve found a way to boldly incorporate the original game’s variety - I hope so, and will naturally wait and see what the full thing has to offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nostalgia is a weird thing. Let's be honest here. The combat system from the original is extremely dated. Some would say outright bad.

It's been 4-5 years since the initial announcement and you still haven't got over the combat system changes?

Almost anything would be an improvement over the originals. It's like complaining about RE2 remakes over the shoulder camera compared to fixed cameras in the original. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Necro wrote: »
    Isn't the battle system largely based off the Kingdom Hearts games (most likely KH3 given its release this year)?

I didn't mind that if I'm honest, button mashing silliness aside.

I'd much prefer ATB but it seems we're never getting that back :(

Yeah, I don't know why people immediately jump to FFXV here. XV's problem was no real feedback or much input at all during combat. But KH has a great sense of control over everything that happens. If you ignore the (terrible) attraction flow system in KHIII I would say that it has my second favourite fighting system in a game this generation after DMC5.

Not that it's super technical or deep or anything but it strikes as good a balance between fast action and RPG systems as you're likely to get, so with Nomura on board with both projects I'd hope at the very least this is the ONE thing that VII should be alright at.

As far as story and narrative pacing goes it will probably be a disaster and we will all be green to the gills from spending an entire game in dark, dank Midgar. But oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

The end of the second e3 trailer has Sephiroth talking to Cloud directly. I hope they don't change the storyline to make it more Cloud vs Sephiroth. In the original, Sephiroth barely knows him or acknowledges him half the time. He's just another Hojo clone.

I had a look at the PS store, 70 quid for the base game, not happening, will get it cheaper somewhere else but saw the deluxe version is 90 euro which gets you a mini soundtrack, digital artbook and 2 materia's. ****ing crazy to spend an extra 20 quid on that bollox when they will be asking you for more money for other parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I think the unfortunate thing here is that this entire endeavor is one that's never really had enough information given to it. There really needed to drive home the point that this is not a simply upscale in graphics. As a remake, this is likely to have multiple changes to what people know and love about the original. Which still exists and can be played on pretty much every platform under the sun.

I quite like the idea of the combat as I want the fast paced immersive feel. And while I agree that everything has been a bit broody and sullen in the trailers, the gameplay for the boss fight hinted towards it being a little more light hearted in the game itself. Barret saying "Ain't you got sumthin to say to me?!" after him getting the boss to drop Cloud shows that it can take itself a little less seriously. And We know things like the wall street cross-dressing scene will exist here so there is ample opportunity for comedy.

I'm just more confused about it apparently being just Midgar for the March release. I think that's a huge amount of data for the early part of the game. Which in itself I like the fact there is a lot to explore, but I'm worried just how many releases there will be if Midgar alone is a 2-disk release.

EDIT: I do think also this is Square's cash cow. bring on 6 months post release for the game to hit €20 :D

• Advertisement

I had a look at the PS store, 70 quid for the base game, not happening, will get it cheaper somewhere else but saw the deluxe version is 90 euro which gets you a mini soundtrack, digital artbook and 2 materia's. ****ing crazy to spend an extra 20 quid on that bollox when they will be asking you for more money for other parts.

Pricing seems normal for PS Store (extortionate as that is). I'll likely pick it up on launch day in Smyths or Argos.

Advertisement