Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Folks, all this stuff should come with a serious health warning since it’s a random reddit rumour. Could be true, could be absolutely bull****. So I’d take it for what it is until proven otherwise: an unverified rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So should every Unreal Engine game be 30 euro because they are just using the same engine and sticking assets in it?

If each part of the game is substantial enough it will be worth full price. And they aren't just recreating ff7 they're basically making an entirely new game.

So all "entirely new game's" should be 120 then.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Don't see an issue with the price. It's not just a remaster we're talking about here it's a complete remake.

Really excited about this I can see a week off work to simply play this in my future :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭quokula

Folks, all this stuff should come with a serious health warning since it’s a random reddit rumour. Could be true, could be absolutely bull****. So I’d take it for what it is until proven otherwise: an unverified rumour.

This is true, but they do seem detailed / mundane enough to potentially be accurate. Nothing in there wasn’t believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The majority of "new" games aren't even 20% of the scope of remaking FF7.

Serious lack of understanding of the monumental task of remaking this game.

The game is more than doubling in scope and size with a world to fill out that we only got single camera angle glimpses of in the original.

You can always wait for both to release and pick them up together at a normal price I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's two games worth of content then yeah.

While i believe it's fairly naïve to think Square aren't double dipping just because they can, we need to see the entire scope of the remake before judging.
    If we got the amount of playtime and content of DQXI paired with the graphical fidelity of FF15 then I'd be all for it, however if we just get FF15 Royal Edition spread over two discs then I'd be pretty pissed.
    We'll wait and see.

While i believe it's fairly naïve to think Square aren't double dipping just because they can, we need to see the entire scope of the remake before judging.

This. I loved FF7, its probably my favourite game of all time but im not really seeing the "content" or "scope" everyone on here is talking about. The Witcher 3 should have been 120 Euro in that case, and i bet FF7R won't even come close to that game in terms of "content" and "scope"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Do remember guys, it took about 10 months for FFXV to hit <15 quid. if 120 for both on release is one thing. If you're willing to wait until release of part 2 (which is the rumour) you'll probably pick up part 1 for a tenner.

Considering I dropped about 250 for FFXV ultimate edition because my gaming time is so reduced that I only buy one or two games a year now, this will be fine for me.

Really hoping the demo does appear after E3!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's an 8 hour game of quality game play I'd spend 60 euro on it.

When has an extended playtime ever been a hallmark of quality? Stuff like most of ubisofts output and recent games like days gone are testament to this.

For the rose tinted glasses brigade, ff7 isn't even that big a game. It's a 40 hour rpg without super boss grinding (oy added to the western release as well)

I paid full price for 15 hours of ace combat 7 and it was hands down the best game this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

All I'm saying is if they felt they need to do this to cover development costs and get the product out the door sooner then I'm fine with it as opposed to the the project not happening at all. Prices will come down.

The original was 50-100 hours depending on how much of a completionist you were. With the world filled out and some actual new content I'd expect this to at least double.

The witcher 3 has a total of 70 different enemies. FF7 has over 250. I'm sure they will cut this number down a bit but that's still around 250 enemies that need to be designed and animated, abilities assigned and combat ai worked out. That's some of the scope I'm talking about.

Also 9 playable characters, 15 towns and 16 summons. FF15 had 1 playable character at launch, 3 summons and 2 towns. More were added with DLC but still. If you don't understand the scope of doing all this and more then you are naive about the reality of how hard and time consuming game development is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This. I loved FF7, its probably my favourite game of all time but im not really seeing the "content" or "scope" everyone on here is talking about. The Witcher 3 should have been 120 Euro in that case, and i bet FF7R won't even come close to that game in terms of "content" and "scope"

Witcher 3 had 2 expansions, at €10 + €20. So if you did buy at full-price, you'd have to spend another 50% on top of that.

Mind you, they were proper DLC campaigns that were started after the main game was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Maybe I'm set in my ways but not convinced I can justify to myself paying 120 quid for a game.

The appeal of it to me is that it's a nostalgia purchase and that nostalgia won't hurt with time passing so if that price is accurate I'll probably hold off on buying it initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

3rd of March?

Eiaha.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Looks great, I'm off to play the original now because that trailer has me off down memory lane now :D

That trailer. Huh hah huh, huhhuhhuhhaaaaa.
    Heh. Huh. Huh huh huh huh huuuh. Haaaa. Hah haaaaaaaa.

Who did the sound mixing on this trailer Jesus Christ. Hope the game is better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,954 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every time I see those Real Dolls in action, my enthusiasm cools for this; they've obviously retained the cartoony look of the robots, and presumably the monsters too, yet going for this hyper-real look in the human characters doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Why is Aeris under attack by demontors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭Evade

Why is Aeris under attack by demontors?
    Possibly because Mako is people and Cloud was infused with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hopefully they might give us a timeline for when the other parts release.

Hopefully they might give us a timeline for when the other parts release.

Thought it was just 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Find it hard to believe it's just two releases when they have only shown Midgar which was 10% of the game

Thought it was just 2?

Spilt into three part no? Two would be better or none at all .

Thought it was just 2?

The only source for that was the reddit post that was proven to be a hoax after all.

We haven't confirmed the number of parts yet but 3 seems likely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Christ if it was a hoax, its taken them this long to just do midgar, it will take aaaages to do the rest of the game :(

Sounds like its 2 discs with disc 1 being all in Midgar from the start of the square presentation???

More here -> https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/10/final-fantasy-7-remake-will-take-up-two-blu-ray-discs/

D8vk3AUVsAYnoTJ.jpg:large

Bet this is 300 quid :D
    Edit: Yep, it is -> Eu link here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hate to say it folks (if only to avoid the pile on :p), but I really and truly think this looks real bad. As I mentioned before, I pretty much hate the aesthetics they’ve gone with, and the combat looks like that weird, over-busy, pseudo real-time combat that I’ve never been properly able to get into in games like FFXV or Xenoblade. Now it does come with the disclaimer that we haven’t seen any of the wacky and wild stuff + locations that make the original so memorable... but having such a big chunk of this set in Midgar is setting off alarm bells. A few cool, flashy effects like the limit breaks are the only things standing out at all here, and that’s the least you’d expect.

I’ll never dismiss a game based on only trailers, and I look forward to hearing how it plays when it finally comes out. Genuinely hope it’s surprisingly good. But what I’ve seen so far looks like a game I wouldn’t pay any attention to at all if it wasn’t a remake of such a significant classic. For now though, at this early stage, my main takeaway is ‘hard pass’, and I’d much rather replay the original over what I’ve seen so far of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Hate to say it folks (if only to avoid the pile on :p), but I really and truly think this looks real bad. As I mentioned before, I pretty much hate the aesthetics they’ve gone with, and the combat looks like that weird, over-busy, pseudo real-time combat that I’ve never been properly able to get into in games like FFXV or Xenoblade. Now it does come with the disclaimer that we haven’t seen any of the wacky and wild stuff + locations that make the original so memorable... but having such a big chunk of this set in Midgar is setting off alarm bells. A few cool, flashy effects like the limit breaks are the only things standing out at all here, and that’s the least you’d expect.

I’ll never dismiss a game based on only trailers, and I look forward to hearing how it plays when it finally comes out. Genuinely hope it’s surprisingly good. But what I’ve seen so far looks like a game I wouldn’t pay any attention to at all if it wasn’t a remake of such a significant classic. For now though, at this early stage, my main takeaway is ‘hard pass’, and I’d much rather replay the original over what I’ve seen so far of this.

Yeah I'm not sold myself, and i consider FF7 one of the best games ive ever played...EVER. The combat system reveal did seem a lot better than i was expecting to be fair but still very button mashy looking, even more so at the amount of health the scorpion boss had when they were chipping away at it..

My plan is to hold off until the entire game is released , i will likely only breach that if the above Collectors edition is a decent price, but knowing Square, it will be €200+ which is a deal breaker..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I am getting less and less enthused about this really not liking the combat look and the active attacks and time slowing down to make larger attacks is not what I wanted at all.

Didn't like FFXV for that reason.

Advertisement