Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S05 Ep10 - "Mother's Mercy" - HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Knex. wrote: »
    Especially when she hears about her daughter. Mountain is gonna go on a zombie rampage.

Oh christ no! That would mean a return trip to Dorne.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Hope Sam dies next.

That neckbeard is so annoying,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Hope Sam dies next.

Hope a wildling makes soup out of Ollies face tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Hope Sam dies next.

He is a bit whiny, isn't he?

A few days in the Dreadfort wouldn't go amiss, methinks!

Trilla wrote: »
    Hope a wildling makes soup out of Ollies face tbh

Oh yeah, forgot that f'er. He goes to the top of the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

mzungu wrote: »
    Oh christ no! That would mean a return trip to Dorne.

Quick 5 minute trip to Dorne, The Mountain gives Ellaria and the Sand Snakes the Oberyn treatment and that's that.

How did Oberyn raise such an uncool family?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Pity they didn't kill off that useless fool Sam and his missus and be done with it, pointless annoying character IMO.

Have a feeling Sam gonna be a big part in the overall storyline
    GRRM seems like the idea of seemingly "weak" characters having a big say like Bran or Tyrion, while prototype heroes having **** time like Obreyn, Rob Stark, Jamie Lannister etc.

I do hope Sam either grows a pair or something happens Gilly as they rather tedious at the moment I'll agree

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

J. Marston wrote: »
    Quick 5 minute trip to Dorne, The Mountain gives Ellaria and the Sand Snakes the Oberyn treatment and that's that.

How did Oberyn raise such an uncool family?

Well I suppose I could handle five minutes....definitely no more though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Have a feeling Sam gonna be a big part in the overall storyline
    GRRM seems like the idea of seemingly "weak" characters having a big say like Bran or Tyrion, while prototype heroes having **** time like Obreyn, Rob Stark, Jamie Lannister etc.

I do hope Sam either grows a pair or something happens Gilly as they rather tedious at the moment I'll agree
    TBH I really don't care at this stage how central a seemingly weak character will be to the overall story, his future and past presence in the show has added nothing to the quality of the show. It's criminal to seemingly kill off characters like Jon Snow, Tywin, the Hound, Oberyn and Joffrey whilst keeping a borefest like Sam!:-(
    GRRM seems to get his kicks from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

seligehgit wrote: »
    It's criminal to seemingly kill off characters like Jon Snow, Tywin, the Hound, Oberyn and Joffrey whilst keeping a borefest like Sam!:-(

Tbf there is lots of other strong characters still alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

It's criminal to seemingly kill off characters like Jon Snow, Tywin, the Hound, Oberyn and Joffrey whilst keeping a borefest like Sam!:-(

If they only ever killed off fringe characters then it wouldn’t be the show it is today. I’ve never watched a show that periodically and unexpectedly punches me in the gut like this one does, just when you think you’ve seen the most shocking thing possible they come along and shock you even more.

Incidentally, I have a policy of not believing somebody is dead unless we see them die e.g. The Hound and Stannis. Now I’d say it’s safe to say The Hound is gone (sadly) but a return is not impossible.

We’re 5 seasons in and yeah we seeing shocking moments but we’ve not been treated to big moments of revenge really. Arya’s revenge on Ser Meryn was decent but it didn’t catch you off guard. In reality the ‘baddies’ are still well in control.

This is what puzzles me, is GRRM just seriously having a laugh at us all or is it all leading to stiff peaks of sweet justice for all in the future. Will we look back at the complete series in the future and be like, “ah, that’s why season 5 was pretty lame, it had to be for the story to develop”.

Also, I like Sam, there is a reason for his presence and he will prove himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I reckon Captain Friendzone will kill his love rival Darrio when he gets the chance.

Disappointing final episode tbh. As someone else said it was hard to keep track of who was getting killed off. I remarked to my wife 20 minutes in that there had been 4 people killed at that stage.

There was too much filler in the preceding episodes that we could have done without. Dorne, arya etc.

We don't get to see Stannis being slain. Will he be back?
    We didn't see Reek and Sansa die. Should be back.
    We never saw the Hound die either. Will he be back?
    Cersei's daughter wasn't quite dead last we saw her either. Will she be back?

Jon Snow though. We better make sure people don't go away with a smidgen of hope. Olly with with the heart stab. Yep, he dead. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I could have literally fast forward all of Aryas bits this season... Many faced God? Load of rubbish... Talking in riddles...rubbish. Apart from that and the rushed finale I really really enjoyed this season. Especially the two episodes preceeding the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

John Snow will come back alive sooner or later. Now everyone expects John to be resurrected but we also have many doubts, so the point of the show and the books is accomplished. :)

Stannis isn't coming back. What reason does Brienne have to stop mid-swing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Watched Thronecast, Brienne was the guest and she basically said she took down a swathe of trees with the big swing she made taking his head off !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

0CNe7Q7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

Stannis isn't coming back. What reason does Brienne have to stop mid-swing?

The reason to scare him? The reason that he is injured and maybe she needs some information of him? The reason that she just saw something, or heard something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

DarkoT wrote: »
    The reason to scare him? The reason that he is injured and maybe she needs some information of him? The reason that she just saw something, or heard something?

his reaction to her "Go on, do your duty"

An injured and broken man

etc.

GOT has no problem showing people killed on all sorts of gruesome ways. If they didn't show him getting killed then....?

DarkoT wrote: »

Stannis doesn't get scared.

Not sure what info he has that she would want. Don't think he knows anything about Sansa.

Saw something or heard something? Maybe, but I doubt it.

The only way that I could see Stannis not being killed by her is if Pod killed Brienne from behind but that would make no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

The only way that I could see Stannis not being killed by her is if Pod killed Brienne from behind but that would make no sense.

Or if his line about "doing your duty" maybe got to her a little bit and made her realize that she made a much more recent promise to find and protect Sansa.

I don't think Stannis is dead. He's a major character and his death should have been on-screen.

Brienne visibly hesitated just before she swung for a reason.

I slowed it down to quarter speed (Christ, I'm such a nerd....) and it doesn't look she hesitated in the swing at all and she's striking down so I don't think she could've hit the tree instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I don't think Stannis is dead. He's a major character and his death should have been on-screen.

Brienne visibly hesitated just before she swung for a reason.

In the same breathe, he's finished (ded kid, ded wife, ded army) so why keep him around.

So basically,

Marsella could be dead.

Stannis could be dead.

Jon could be dead.

Tune in next season to find out...I think that's as simple as it is right now.

I think she was momentarily taken aback when Stannis said "Do your duty."
    He's an injured and broken man. It's out of character for the honourable Brienne to kill him for revenge.

That said, he could well be dead. Only have to wait 10 more months to find out.

Also, there must be more to come from Shireen's sacrifice. When Stannis threw leeches with Gendry's blood in the flames Joffrey and Robb Stark died shortly after.

So far all we've got from shireen's sacrafice is an improvement in the weather. I think Melisandre will use the sacrifice as a source of power for resurrecting Jon Snow.

Also, there must be more to come from Shireen's sacrifice. When Stannis threw leeches with Gendry's blood in the flames Joffrey and Robb Stark died shortly after.

To be fair, there's nothing to say that either of their deaths truly had anything to do with Gendry or 'King's blood' or whatever. Joffrey was poisoned by people who had their own reasons for offing him, and Robb Stark died by his own poor judgement. It's pretty debatable how much the leeches had to do with either of those events.

PressRun wrote: »
    To be fair, there's nothing to say that either of their deaths truly had anything to do with Gendry or 'King's blood' or whatever. Joffrey was poisoned by people who had their own reasons for offing him, and Robb Stark died by his own poor judgement. It's pretty debatable how much the leeches had to do with either of those events.

Yes, but it's appears that this 'Lord of Light' has tangible effects on the world if a man can be brought repeatedly back from the dead and a shadow assasin can be summoned.

Yes, but it's appears that this 'Lord of Light' has tangible effects on the world if a man can be brought repeatedly back from the dead and a shadow assasin can be summoned.

Possibly. What the shadow assassin has to do with the Lord of Light either is up for debate too, imo. Sure she summoned it, but how do we know that the Lord of Light was involved? The Lord of Light may very well exist, but I think the jury's out on whether Melisandre's magic up to this point has anything to do with that. The vast majority of the things attributed to the Lord of Light are things that could very well have happened on their own anyway. I suppose that's what having 'faith' is all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well, she certainly had her reason for returning to castle black.
    And we see the mountain resurrected in this episode too.

I'm sure one of John and Stannis will survive.

Advertisement