Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hey red I'd totally go for the mag box if it's plane and simple you want. Mag are the easiest thing that if he goes Into the wrong menu or something all he has to do is plug it out and back in again and it will booth up to the main menu.

By the sounds of his internet speed it would be enough for most iptv channels but you would be better off to set it up with homeplugs to get the best out of it if possible.

I wouldn't worry about which version of the mag 256 just get a Wi-Fi version if you can so he does have the option to move it or you can get a cheap Wi-Fi dongle that will do the same job if need be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I have all of the channels but only about 12mb speed. Hd can be a little jumpy but sd is perfect

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

hd should be fine on 12mb - - if its not its either your setup or ur provider

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Nowso wrote: »
    hd should be fine on 12mb - - if its not its either your setup or ur provider

Mine is dodgy. Enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nicknamed

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_607542.html
    Any advise on this box? Any better versions in this price range?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Dont bother with a Zgemma .

Do you have a smart TV?Could use that if purely for IPTV.

Mag box is handy for someone who isn't tech savvy as thefe is nothing else on it bar the menu screen/channels.I will stand corrected but Mag boxs probably the simplest set up Iv seen.
    Just bought a Mag 256 for him,
    Thanks to anyone who replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

.red. wrote:
    Just bought a Mag 256 for him, Thanks to anyone who replied.

I'd be very interested to know how you get on with it, I'm seriously thinking of getting one, I'm still trying to figure out the subscription side of things though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

.red. wrote: »
    Just bought a Mag 256 for him,
    Thanks to anyone who replied.

A solid buy ,I set up that box for a friend a few months ago. Same job ,didn't want anything too complicated and only wanted IPTV .
    It does the job perfectly and no problems with it .

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd be very interested to know how you get on with it, I'm seriously thinking of getting one, I'm still trying to figure out the subscription side of things though

I'll report back when it's up and running. Gonna keep it for a week myself so I know what to tell him when he rings asking where the volume button is lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I have one....Pretty unimpressed by it to be honest..The menus are too basic and the EPG isnt great....to set up the subscription you email your IPTV seller with the mac address and they give you a portal address that you configure in the setup menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

neacy69 wrote: »
    I have one....Pretty unimpressed by it to be honest..The menus are too basic and the EPG isnt great....to set up the subscription you email your IPTV seller with the mac address and they give you a portal address that you configure in the setup menu

thanks very much for that. my issue isnt particularly with setting it up, its actually getting access to a subscription, im not gonna go further into that for obvious reasons, but thanks again

I think the simplicity is what some people want.I know it was the reason my mate bought one.
    It's very hard to mess it up or get stuck .

Not for me but I can see the attraction.

I have one....Pretty unimpressed by it to be honest..The menus are too basic and the EPG isnt great

The basic menu is pretty much what I want. If it was for myself maybe I'd like something I could play around with but for a 70yo technophobic man it'll do nicely.
    If the EPG isn't brilliant but does its job then that's fine, he won't know any different.
    Thanks.
    (It's bought now anyway so too late to change my mind lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Formuler has a much nicer EPG imo. It also allows you to install STBemu (or any other IPTV app), so you could effectively have the MAG256 running on it too, and install apps.

Both easy to set up, I think formuler is a little bit easier as you are greeted with the screen to enter the portal when you open it.
    Either one i'd be happy with though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

Suckit wrote: »
    Formuler has a much nicer EPG imo. It also allows you to install STBemu (or any other IPTV app), so you could effectively have the MAG256 running on it too, and install apps.

Both easy to set up, I think formuler is a little bit easier as you are greeted with the screen to enter the portal when you open it.
    Either one i'd be happy with though :)

agreed.
    formuler are easier and getting popular quite fast

Anyone using the Formuler S Turbo?

Seems like a great bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I'm using a Formuler Z7+ and hate it.
    Hate the remote control and don't like the MYTV app which is its big selling point.
    Would gladly swap for a mag 256.

iggy wrote: »
    I'm using a Formuler Z7+ and hate it.
    Hate the remote control and don't like the MYTV app which is its big selling point.
    Would gladly swap for a mag 256.

Why not install STBemu on it, or put it on adverts for a swap I'm sure you would get takers.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about it? I use both but I much prefer the formuler for the EPG and apps. I have no issues with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Why not install STBemu on it, or put it on adverts for a swap I'm sure you would get takers.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about it? I use both but I much prefer the formuler for the EPG and apps. I have no issues with either.

Putting STBemu on the formuler defeats the purpose of having one. I'm actually using smart iptv app on it and prefer that
    Have a xiaomi mi box running smart iptv app and prefer the navigation and epg.
    I have the formuler up on adverts for €80 which I think is a fair price.

I don't like the epg on the formuler and hate navigating on it.
    I can see why people like the box but I don't feel the love for it. And the remote control is horrible to use.
    I had a mag 256 before and sold it to get a Formuler.
    When I had the mag I used smart iptv portal on it. I liked the way I could change epg colour. I think it's perfect just for iptv only. Vod on smart iptv app is not good but I only use smart iptv app for iptv.

Any chance of a pm with what people consider to be the best provider for the IPTV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

I quite like the formuler z7+ I have to say, having come from zgemma and smarttv (siptv). Just used it as out of the box so far. Must try installing STBemu. Any other apps you would recommend?

elbyrneo wrote: »
    I quite like the formuler z7+ I have to say, having come from zgemma and smarttv (siptv). Just used it as out of the box so far. Must try installing STBemu. Any other apps you would recommend?

Not recommend as many people will have a preference for layout or design etc. but could name a few.

Perfect Player is decent and easy to use.
    IPTV Pro is decent for handheld device, not so nice on TV imo, but it is usable.
    IPTV Extreme I can't remember what I thought of that, so maybe not that good.
    GSE Smart IPTV
    a bit more to it than many of the others, but I think it is decent. youtube
    IPTV Smarters Many providers use a customised version of this as their app. Some providers hate it. The mobile version is only available and works on a box.
    - I just noticed the IPTV Smarters TVBox version is now available. I haven't tried it yet. I would imagine some providers would be annoyed by that.
    They are the ones I have messed around with.
    As you can see there are tons of them.
    https://play.google.com/store/search?q=iptv&c=apps&authuser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all I have a mi box 3 global.i keep getting a Netflix error.and also what version of spmc is everyone using on the mi box as I want to have voice search in Kodi and I believe this is my only option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

massy086 wrote: »
    Hi all I have a mi box 3 global.i keep getting a Netflix error.and also what version of spmc is everyone using on the mi box as I want to have voice search in Kodi and I believe this is my only option

SPMC is no longer being updated, so you will need to install Kodi in order to use most of the add ons. Don't talk to me about the Mi Box though.... :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Not recommend as many people will have a preference for layout or design etc. but could name a few.

Perfect Player is decent and easy to use.
    IPTV Pro is decent for handheld device, not so nice on TV imo, but it is usable.
    IPTV Extreme I can't remember what I thought of that, so maybe not that good.
    GSE Smart IPTV
    a bit more to it than many of the others, but I think it is decent. youtube
    IPTV Smarters Many providers use a customised version of this as their app. Some providers hate it. The mobile version is only available and works on a box.
    - I just noticed the IPTV Smarters TVBox version is now available. I haven't tried it yet. I would imagine some providers would be annoyed by that.
    They are the ones I have messed around with.
    As you can see there are tons of them.
    https://play.google.com/store/search?q=iptv&c=apps&authuser

Fair play, thanks for that! Will give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Ive a Formuler Z+7 for 7 months now. Its an average box with average specs and a rubbish remote control

However where it excels is the MTVOL app, the box is my only source for TV and coupled with a decent provider its simply the best out there. There were issues with the EPG loading times but this has been sorted and if specifically looking for a box to run IPTV look no further IMO

Just get a wireless keyboard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Can anyone recommend a good kodi or android box for a novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

NATLOR wrote: »
    Ive a Formuler Z+7 for 7 months now. Its an average box with average specs and a rubbish remote control

However where it excels is the MTVOL app, the box is my only source for TV and coupled with a decent provider its simply the best out there. There were issues with the EPG loading times but this has been sorted and if specifically looking for a box to run IPTV look no further IMO

Just get a wireless keyboard :)

MTVOL app??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭BandMember

kala85 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good kodi or android box for a novice.

Plenty of recommendations here, just read back through the thread. Do your research first though so you know what you are looking for when you are buying and make sure that you know how to use it. You'd be surprised how many people don't do either and then wonder why they have nothing but problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭NATLOR

JonnyM wrote: »
    MTVOL app??

Mytvonline

Its an app developed by formuler for running IPTV

Advertisement